Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted An OC who's special talent is magic

Light of Night

I'm no good at making stories.  I've tried before, they tend to fall on the wayside due to procrastination and other stuff.  But I'm going to see if I can pick up where I left off in one I started.

Anyways, one of the main characters is the protagonist's teen nephew/adopted son.  He's a blank flank and I plan for him to run off searching for the protagonist at some point, and along the way, he discovers his talent, which is magic.

Now, I know it's an uncommon thing.  And since it's an uncommon thing, I plan on making it so that he has a hard time finding reliable help.  In this particular setting, no canon character is running around to offer that.  But still, I know this isn't regarded highly and I'd like some tips on making a good character with this special talent.

I would choose a particular school of magic instead of just magic in general.  Of course, you could just as easily go for the latter option, but more justification or drawbacks would be needed.  The former option is much more dialed back and easier to come up with drawbacks to.

Twilight Sparkle's talent is magic itself, but that's something that makes her so unique and separates her from other unicorns... well now she's an alicorn. 

But i think being that twilight is a Princess, her talent being magic in general isn't so bad. But for an OC it might be a bit too powerful.

@@Hazard Time,

But do expand on schools.  Do you just mean the elemental sort, or stuff like conjuration and the like?

It can be anything you want.  When it comes to magic, the concept of "How do you kill a vampire" applies.  Neither exist in real life, so you can make up the rules however you want.  Of course, there are a few conventions that need to be observed, but if you're going to play with magic, it's important to be creative.  The various schools of magic could include things such as the elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water, etc), it could be like Elder Scrolls schools (Conjuration, Illusion, Alteration, etc), or it could even be like Final Fantasy's colored magic (Black, White, Red, Blue, etc.).

The point is, Magic is to High Fantasy as Science is to Reality; simply saying that you're good at Science means nothing.  Do you mean Chemistry?  Physics?  Biology?  The same applies to Magic, which is a vast and powerful force whose workings will never be completely understood by any intelligent race.

• Brohoof 1