Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Some orchestral music inspired by Princess Celestia

brambleshadow4

Ok. 

It's a pretty decent work. However, you've kinda stuck around the same fast paced theme of the song, except for that slow part. I see you're in the key of Ab, which is kind of a risky key for Celestia, as Ab is a rather mysterious key. In addition, you were making the IV of Ab, which is Db, minor, which sort of conflicts with the theme of the song, which is about Celestia. A brighter key that would work for this piece is F Major. In the middle part, where you transitioned into G, it was a very awkward transition, as you just went from Ab to G. Really, descending modulations are much harder to pull than ascending modulations because you will have to perform a series of ii-V fake outs, after hitting the V of V of Ab, which takes some time to perform. You can do it if you like long transitions. In the transition back to Ab, you could've used a half-step modulation starting with the vi of Ab going to the V, and resolving to the I. 

The overall feel of the song feels more like a battle, break, battle type of feel, which doesn't really reflect Celestia. All I could imagine for Celestia was her going to war and then seeing the wounded and then going back to war and taking the victory. Work on theme focus and how your approach to creating a piece of music.

In terms of your instruments, they lack some humanization. Add some reverb and add human properties to your instruments. This is one of the most important aspects of creating music in DAWs. This way, your music can sound real to your listener, and engaging. Having artificial sounding instruments can be a distraction for your listener, as they'll focus on the quality of the song, rather than the theme and what this song is trying to convey. 

All in all, this is an ok song, but honestly, it only reflects a battle aspect of Celestia, rather than her beauty and the fact that she raises the sun every day. I'm here if you need help with anything I said in my critique. 

• Brohoof 1

Ok. 

It's a pretty decent work. However, you've kinda stuck around the same fast paced theme of the song, except for that slow part. I see you're in the key of Ab, which is kind of a risky key for Celestia, as Ab is a rather mysterious key. In addition, you were making the IV of Ab, which is Db, minor, which sort of conflicts with the theme of the song, which is about Celestia. A brighter key that would work for this piece is F Major. In the middle part, where you transitioned into G, it was a very awkward transition, as you just went from Ab to G. Really, descending modulations are much harder to pull than ascending modulations because you will have to perform a series of ii-V fake outs, after hitting the V of V of Ab, which takes some time to perform. You can do it if you like long transitions. In the transition back to Ab, you could've used a half-step modulation starting with the vi of Ab going to the V, and resolving to the I. 

The overall feel of the song feels more like a battle, break, battle type of feel, which doesn't really reflect Celestia. All I could imagine for Celestia was her going to war and then seeing the wounded and then going back to war and taking the victory. Work on theme focus and how your approach to creating a piece of music.

In terms of your instruments, they lack some humanization. Add some reverb and add human properties to your instruments. This is one of the most important aspects of creating music in DAWs. This way, your music can sound real to your listener, and engaging. Having artificial sounding instruments can be a distraction for your listener, as they'll focus on the quality of the song, rather than the theme and what this song is trying to convey. 

All in all, this is an ok song, but honestly, it only reflects a battle aspect of Celestia, rather than her beauty and the fact that she raises the sun every day. I'm here if you need help with anything I said in my critique. 

Thanks for the constructive criticism Thunder Dash!

When it comes to form and structure, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree; I spent a lot of time coming up with the progressions and transitions, and I'm quite happy with them, even if they break a few music theory rules in places (also, where are you hearing a minor Db chord? I'm pretty sure I only used major ones).  

Anyways, the first section was supposed to capture the fiery raw energy and regality of Celestia while the middle section captured her kindness, love and compassion. The third part is a fusion of both of those sections, featuring both of their themes juxtaposed right on top of each other, but if that didn't come through, perhaps that is my bad.

I never even thought about reverb; would you suggest adding it to individual instruments or on the mix as a whole? Also, what other ideas to you have to make the samplers sound more 'human?' 

Thanks again!

Pretty cool! Good work. It's like a fusion of Zelda and Pokemon soundtracks. Haha.

Also...dat artwork. My goodness. It's amazing.

Yeah, I have one of them as the backdrop on my phone, and one of the others as the desktop on my computer.

reminded me "Vagrant Story"  (PSOne game soundtrack).

sounds interesting, but can't quite picture Celestia in it though... well in my opinion of course. and who am i to judge, anyway. but you totally did a great job!

Edited by Ethan Tran

Thanks for the constructive criticism Thunder Dash!

When it comes to form and structure, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree; I spent a lot of time coming up with the progressions and transitions, and I'm quite happy with them, even if they break a few music theory rules in places (also, where are you hearing a minor Db chord? I'm pretty sure I only used major ones).  

Anyways, the first section was supposed to capture the fiery raw energy and regality of Celestia while the middle section captured her kindness, love and compassion. The third part is a fusion of both of those sections, featuring both of their themes juxtaposed right on top of each other, but if that didn't come through, perhaps that is my bad.

I never even thought about reverb; would you suggest adding it to individual instruments or on the mix as a whole? Also, what other ideas to you have to make the samplers sound more 'human?' 

Thanks again!

Yeah, I have one of them as the backdrop on my phone, and one of the others as the desktop on my computer.

There were Db minor chords since you probably had clashing tones.

A regal and noble type of piece doesn't have to necessarily be fast. It can be slow, but full and bright. It is comprised of mainly bright brass and strings. Timpani and cymbals work here too. Your theme as I said before, is more of a battle theme. I cannot seem to grasp the regal feel.

In terms of making things more human, I suggest eliminating the solo instruments and putting the melody in groups of instruments like trumpet groups. Also, obtain higher quality virtual instruments so that way, you can tamper with some aspects of the sound. The attack on your brass sounds artificial due to the fact that it is very hard sounding. By having an adjustable attack, you can make the instruments sound more natural. Reverb can help with ridding harsh cuts at the end of certain instrument sounds because it can give the sound some headroom to prepare for the next note.

• Brohoof 2