Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Changelings of MLP influenced by Irish Folklore?

Blackcat

Just based on what the Changelings apparently do in the show. It would seem that they take a heavy influence from certain creatures of folklore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling

For those who don't want to click the link, it basically says that Changelings are sometimes described as the offspring of fairies or other monsters who are left in place of human children so that they can be raised by the human until they reached maturity, or a the Changeling could just be an enchanted inanimate object, disguised as a baby which would later revert back into what ever object it was, such as a rock.

Obviously this isn't exactly how the Changelings work in MLP but they seem to have drawn influence from this.

• Brohoof 1

Probably, since all the other creatures we've seen in mlp comes from mythical creatures.

Most creatures in the show are direct or related creatures from myths :3 Some are direct *dragons, griffins, sea monsters, cockatrice, manticore, etc* and some are references *Discord, who is a Draconequus, a type of chimera (Chimera is any mythological creature made up of several different animals, as well as the specific monster in Greek myth). So yeah, I'm sure it's a given that the Changelings are based off of something as well :3

That, or million other little stories in Europe.

Czech folklore has shape-shifters that drain the willingness to live from their victims.

Italians have some kind of furry shape-shifters that like to make kids evil by draining the "good" out of them.

Not to mention the classical Wampir from middle Europe. Shape-shifter too. And blood is close_enough.jaypeg to emotions.

Go ask the creators what they used, if anything.

They might have just used Shape-shifters because they saw a movie about them. Not because of a folklore.

Have you ever heard a original folklore? I doubt it, pretty much no-one tells them any more.

Folklore has been mutated by Fantasy novels and movies so that the original stories and the origin of them is lost behind them.

I blame the Vampires, makes it easy to stalk the modern society when everyone thinks differently about them or that they are a lie, kids scary tale.

Sunlight and Garlic? Riiiiiiiiiiiight. Good one.

Suppose monsters have their place in all of this as well.

But really, it's just that the times have moved on. Movies, TV, books and Games are today's Folklore.

Not verbal stories that were told with skill.

• Brohoof 1

???

I think Jason (or somepony else) replied to some guy on their Twitter that the main influence of Changelings is insects.

???

I think Jason (or somepony else) replied to some guy on their Twitter that the main influence of Changelings is insects.

Maybe for design, but the name and powers of 'Changelings' is hardly original xP I'm sure that came from something to do with a past folklore from somewhere, or another source.

(edited)

For those who don't want to click the link, it basically says that Changelings are sometimes described as the offspring of fairies or other monsters who are left in place of human children so that they can be raised by the human until they reached maturity, or a the Changeling could just be an enchanted inanimate object, disguised as a baby which would later revert back into what ever object it was, such as a rock.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGn-WjkPu98

It's all making sense now...

Edited by Hat988