Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fantasia animation compared todays animation

Angle Alastor

so im watching fantasia and was thinking we have come a long verry long way from fantasia yes the original not one of those re releases.

i am thinking what animation would you like the most , painting/drawing type animation from fantasia or just cgi from todays animation ? 

Recently I watched Fantasia for the first time in a few years and I adore the classic animation style. CGI is cool but can't compete with that sorta old fashioned vibe of traditional animation. Even modern 2D animation from computer programs like Flash (MLP is a good example of this) doesn't quite hold the same nostalgia. It looks shiny and gorgeous but in some shows it's just eye candy with bright colors and little attention to detail.

I love the original Fantasia and it's cel animation is among the best out there. I'm a fan of 2D cel animation and far prefer it to other styles like CG, Flash and so on. Just in terms of the effects animation in these old classics, the quality of the art is staggering. Take a look at the bubbling lava in the Rite of Spring segment and you'll see poetry in motion! Not to mention the character animation where the movie soars to a whole new level. 

Comparing the original with Fantasia 2000 I can say both are visually beautiful. Fantasia 2000 is more polished because it has all the benefits of modern tools and technology. But the original is all done by hand, without the benefit of years of experience and teaching from those who have gone before. These guys (on the original) were still pioneering the art form and look what they accomplished! 

I love all animation, whether it's modern or all the way back to Gertie the Dinosaur. But whatever your tastes are, it's hard to deny that these old classics were anything short of phenomenal works or art, technology and pioneering spirit. I don't like to compare anything directly because everything has its own merits for its own reasons. But for its own merits and reasons, Fantasia will live forever as a major accomplishment. 

• Brohoof 1