Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are ponies way overpowered compared to humans?

Azure Acrylic

So, I was watching one of the episodes in MLP, and I though: Are ponies way overpowered compared to humans? I mean, sure, we have access to nukes, missiles, jets, tanks, warships, and explosives, and intelligence.

However, in one scene in MLP, Starlight Glimmer and most unicorns showed the ability to teleport from one location to another at light speed, something which humans haven’t even invented yet. And, Twilight Sparkle and other unicorns have showed the ability to spawn and transform items from cups to birds, out of thin air. Pegasi, on the other hoof, have the ability to control the weather and create natural disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning storms, and typhoons. They also have the ability to create rainbow nukes, as seen from Rainbow Dash in one episode, and the ability to summon lightning from the sky. Also, there are ponies like Princess Celestia and Luna who are capable of moving the sun and moon with a bit of power. Besides, in a fanfic, Fallout: Equestria, the main pony, Littlepip, who is a unicorn, showed the ability to lift stuff like train cars, which weigh 30 tons, while the most strongest man in the world, only managed to lift close to 6 tons. She also is capable of lifting stuff like huge rocks, bookshelves , and wagons, and has shown the ability to create weapons out of blood, which apparently is impossible on Earth. The other characters, have also shown to create magic shields, and have the ability to fly.

Soooo, what do you guys think? Are ponies really wayyy powerful than humans, or are humans more powerful than ponies? Tell me below!

• Brohoof 1

All of your specific examples are exceptionally skilled. I'm not sure which scene you're referring to for most unicorns showing the ability to teleport, as I am behind on the show, but at least up through the second half of season 8 this wasn't considered a common skill. There's also the matter of distance to consider, and one of the great things in Fallout: Equestria, was Littlepip who seems insignificant at first but totally isn't, was that we see how she over exerts herself and how harmful that can really be, so there's a question of ho many times and how far a unicorn can teleport. It's certainly a great asset if we're talking terms of combat, but I don't expect the typical unicorn to show such prowess, and for there to be enough of them that breaks human defenses. It would certainly have a great affect on us in the past, but today the battlefield has been expanded to fighting your enemies either over the horizon or in small groups nearly face to face.

Transforming items has its benefits, but to what extent I'm not sure. This is also not a common skillset.

Pegasi have amazing potential for wreaking havoc. I don't think they can bring widespread natural disasters, but they can certainly makes things on the ground and occasionally in the air a nightmare. One of the biggest enemies to boots on the ground is mud. It'll mess up your equipment, the filth and cold will lower moral, and, it really slows you down. However, we have soldiers trained to avoid and get through obstacles in pretty much all weather conditions, so this is only one hurdle, and few flying horses can compete with the speed and accuracy of our weapons and targeting systems, so they'll be forced to fight on the ground as well most of the time.

I'm not sure we can factor the sun and moon into this. The physics and effects these great bodies have are vastly different in our universes. Equestria can survive an eternal night, Earth can't, but the physics bring about a question of whether our sun and moon could even be controlled, also due to the fact that Equestria's solar system is Geocentric while ours is Heliocentric.

Lifting and hurling items far heavier than yourself is very useful in close quarters if you can do it quickly but, the United States' main battle tank weighs twice as much as that train car, and is far more destructive.

I tried to find the scene from Fantastic beasts and where to find them where I could've sworn they had police shooting the shield set up by the wizards but I can't find it. In that scene the shield held up, but that was also by multiple wizards who are focused on defense so it's would've been a pretty strong shield. I am of the belief though that you can overwhelm a shield with enough force, and while the one seen in that franchise may have held up to a good amount of gun fire, I still think a cruise missile would make it collapse, and the changeling army from a Canterlot wedding was able to break through Shining Armor's shield with blunt force, so that would pale in comparison. Nevertheless, I think it would be a great asset, against smaller human forces.

On average a pony can probably overpower a person in hoof to hand combat most of the time, but when you go beyond natural abilities, I think our arsenal is too great for them at this point.

• Brohoof 1

Don't forget earth ponies with their absolutely absurd strength. Think of AJ somehow sending that massive boulder flying in the Season 7 finale or Maud Pie breaking a boulder down with her bare hooves. Rainbow can break the sound barrier and even slam into the ground with enough force to create a small rainbow colored mushroom explosion and get up perfectly fine, and we constantly see ponies taking extreme amounts of damage like crashing into walls or Twilight getting crushed under all sorts of things and getting up just fine. Not to mention weirdo's like Pinkie or Cheese have precognitive abilities and can just casually break physics.

I'm mostly talking about exceptional cases here, but in general ponies have been shown to be extremely durable with earth ponies being very, very strong, the toughest being way, way above the strongest of humans. Even the least trained unicorns still seem to be able to at least lift things with telekinesis and shoot small blasts, and higher level unicorns have all sorts of crazy abilities and magical hacks. Pegasi can fly and control the weather by nature and the more athletically inclined ones are crazy fast, and you have the few who have weird or special abilities, like Pinkie and her cartoony nonsense or Fluttershy's stare, who knows what other weird powers certain ponies might have? In terms of natural abilities, ponies have us heavily outclassed in a lot of ways.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 2

Sharpshooters and bio-weapons, son. They are horses. We can use the latter without a care in the world. Then we can start dissecting them unicorn corpses. Get ourselves some wizards and countermeasures. Give them hell, Commander.

Edited by Goat-kun
These nightmarish creatures can be felled! They can be beaten!

10 hours ago, Rainbows2424 said:

So, I was watching one of the episodes in MLP, and I though: Are ponies way overpowered compared to humans? I mean, sure, we have access to nukes, missiles, jets, tanks, warships, and explosives, and intelligence.

However, in one scene in MLP, Starlight Glimmer and most unicorns showed the ability to teleport from one location to another at light speed, something which humans haven’t even invented yet. And, Twilight Sparkle and other unicorns have showed the ability to spawn and transform items from cups to birds, out of thin air. Pegasi, on the other hoof, have the ability to control the weather and create natural disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning storms, and typhoons. They also have the ability to create rainbow nukes, as seen from Rainbow Dash in one episode, and the ability to summon lightning from the sky. Also, there are ponies like Princess Celestia and Luna who are capable of moving the sun and moon with a bit of power. Besides, in a fanfic, Fallout: Equestria, the main pony, Littlepip, who is a unicorn, showed the ability to lift stuff like train cars, which weigh 30 tons, while the most strongest man in the world, only managed to lift close to 6 tons. She also is capable of lifting stuff like huge rocks, bookshelves , and wagons, and has shown the ability to create weapons out of blood, which apparently is impossible on Earth. The other characters, have also shown to create magic shields, and have the ability to fly.

Soooo, what do you guys think? Are ponies really wayyy powerful than humans, or are humans more powerful than ponies? Tell me below!

Certainly their natural abilities surpass humans. They do have powerful magic, after all. Humans do have a technological advantage, but that's nothing they couldn't match in time. 

Thankfully, both ponies and humans are civilised, so it needn't come down to survival of the fittest. Rather, they can combine their strengths to achieve what neither can do alone.

Well, technology aside, ponies seem to have all the advantages of horses - strength, stamina, etc - as well as human intelligence, and the ability to metabolize anything that either humans or horses can eat, such as hay, chocolate, etc. In addition, they're able to eat things that are poisonous to both horses and humans, such as daisies (granted, a human could probably eat one sandwich's worth of daisies and live), and then they have magic on top of that.

Yes, I'm afraid ponies are the superior species, and we're going to have to bow to our technicolour overlords.

• Brohoof 1

As much as it would be cute to grant our will towards our pastel horse masters, I think you are underestimating us. Sure, these ponies have magical and natural habilitated that surpasses ours, much like most other animals in our world but with the added intellect of ours. But, we are the dominant and deadliest species for a reason. Despite our physical disadvantages, we managed to outcompete our fellow animals in every single civilization, and that was many eons ago. Now, we are practically gods in our world, with increasingly deadlier weapons and tactics. I don’t think all the magic in the world in Equestria can match our capability to kill. The only one I can think can me a real danger is Discord,  it even then I don’t think he can survive a shot in the head

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

As much as it would be cute to grant our will towards our pastel horse masters, I think you are underestimating us. Sure, these ponies have magical and natural habilitated that surpasses ours, much like most other animals in our world but with the added intellect of ours. But, we are the dominant and deadliest species for a reason. Despite our physical disadvantages, we managed to outcompete our fellow animals in every single civilization, and that was many eons ago. Now, we are practically gods in our world, with increasingly deadlier weapons and tactics. I don’t think all the magic in the world in Equestria can match our capability to kill. The only one I can think can me a real danger is Discord,  it even then I don’t think he can survive a shot in the head

You're assuming that ponies don't have the capacity to kill - or can't learn it.

7 hours ago, Hardway Bet said:

Well, technology aside, ponies seem to have all the advantages of horses - strength, stamina, etc - as well as human intelligence, and the ability to metabolize anything that either humans or horses can eat, such as hay, chocolate, etc. In addition, they're able to eat things that are poisonous to both horses and humans, such as daisies (granted, a human could probably eat one sandwich's worth of daisies and live), and then they have magic on top of that.

Yes, I'm afraid ponies are the superior species, and we're going to have to bow to our technicolour overlords.

Are there any human advantages they lack (save hands)?

1 hour ago, Latecomer said:

You're assuming that ponies don't have the capacity to kill - or can't learn it.

Not denying they can if given the chance, but it’s clear we are far more willing and experienced in killing than ponies

5 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Not denying they can if given the chance, but it’s clear we are far more willing and experienced in killing than ponies

If we start killing them without quarter, though (not sure why we would, but just for argument's sake) I suspect they won't take long before they respond with equal lethality. And their magic allows for plenty of that.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Latecomer said:

If we start killing them without quarter, though (not sure why we would, but just for argument's sake) I suspect they won't take long before they respond with equal lethality. And their magic allows for plenty of that.

Perhaps a one on one against an unarmed and untrained human perhaps, but we have lots of toys that can obliterate pastel horses in seconds. Few are powerful enough to make the same destruction that what an artillery can do. This can make armies of ponies banish

19 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Perhaps a one on one against an unarmed and untrained human perhaps, but we have lots of toys that can obliterate pastel horses in seconds. Few are powerful enough to make the same destruction that what an artillery can do. This can make armies of ponies banish

Well yes, if you put ponies as they are now against modern humans - we have a bit of a lead.. But none of our technology is unusable by them (particularity unicorns), whereas its' doubtful we could match their magic. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Latecomer said:

Well yes, if you put ponies as they are now against modern humans - we have a bit of a lead.. But none of our technology is unusable by them (particularity unicorns), whereas its' doubtful we could match their magic. 

While I can give you credit with Sunny having adapted well to the human world, I find it doubtful ponies will be quick to effectively use our tools. Hell, the average person won’t understand how military vehicles work. 
Best ponies can do, are unicorns using looted firearms, but then again, any idiot can grab a gun and pull the trigger, but takes training to actually use them (I know, I used to shoot)

1 minute ago, Steve Piranha said:

While I can give you credit with Sunny having adapted well to the human world, I find it doubtful ponies will be quick to effectively use our tools. Hell, the average person won’t understand how military vehicles work. 
Best ponies can do, are unicorns using looted firearms, but then again, any idiot can grab a gun and pull the trigger, but takes training to actually use them (I know, I used to shoot)

Most humans can't exactly use those things either, though. And while I'm sure our advanced technology would be to our advantage in an actual war, in a straight comparioson like this thrad, I don't think it's to much to our credit. Ponies could make all the same stuff - they just haven't had to becuse of a lack of major wars.And they still outclass us without tools.

16 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Most humans can't exactly use those things either, though. And while I'm sure our advanced technology would be to our advantage in an actual war, in a straight comparioson like this thrad, I don't think it's to much to our credit. Ponies could make all the same stuff - they just haven't had to becuse of a lack of major wars.And they still outclass us without tools

I give you a point that an average pony holds an advantage against an average human, but if we speak about military, an average human soldier far outclass a military pony. Maybe our soldier would lose at first, but they are quick to adapt and gather intel. From then on, I don’t think ponies have a chance

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

I give you a point that an average pony holds an advantage against an average human, but if we speak about military, an average human soldier far outclass a military pony. Maybe our soldier would lose at first, but they are quick to adapt and gather intel. From then on, I don’t think ponies have a chance

Maybe - but it depends on the sitution. Which is probably why this isn't a war thread in the first place. And power through tools is more easily lost than inherent power.

2 hours ago, Latecomer said:

Maybe - but it depends on the sitution. Which is probably why this isn't a war thread in the first place. And power through tools is more easily lost than inherent power.

If you put it that way, yes: pastel horses hold a huge advantage against us

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Just gonna point out, Twilight was smart enough to successfully build a device to take the magic from that journal and use it to open the portal again and did so pretty dang quickly. If they got their hooves on some of our tech I wouldn't put it past her or some other brainy unicorns to figure out how our technology works pretty fast. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they could reverse engineer that technology to work for other ponies too, of course it'd take time to train in their use and get used to them, but it's not at all beyond their scope.

The thing is, one reason we humans dominated other species so much was because of our advanced intelligence, which is a trait ponies actually share with us. We've never had to deal with another species that has the same level of intelligence, and outcompetes us physically in nearly every way and some of them can control the forces of nature or even bend reality to an extent.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

Just gonna point out, Twilight was smart enough to successfully build a device to take the magic from that journal and use it to open the portal again and did so pretty dang quickly. If they got their hooves on some of our tech I wouldn't put it past her or some other brainy unicorns to figure out how our technology works pretty fast. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they could reverse engineer that technology to work for other ponies too, of course it'd take time to train in their use and get used to them, but it's not at all beyond their scope.

The thing is, one reason we humans dominated other species so much was because of our advanced intelligence, which is a trait ponies actually share with us. We've never had to deal with another species that has the same level of intelligence, and outcompetes us physically in nearly every way and some of them can control the forces of nature or even bend reality to an extent.

To be technical about it, Twilight's feat, while impressive, wasn't based on any study of human tech but rather of Equestrian spellcraft, in which she is an expert and has a special talent. (I odn't doubt that she and other smart ponies could do something with human tech, especially if they get access to the Internet or something, but it wouldn't be so easy.)

1 minute ago, Latecomer said:

To be technical about it, Twilight's feat, while impressive, wasn't based on any study of human tech but rather of Equestrian spellcraft, in which she is an expert and has a special talent. (I odn't doubt that she and other smart ponies could do something with human tech, especially if they get access to the Internet or something, but it wouldn't be so easy.)

It looked to me like a combination of spellcraft and technology, she had to have the technical know how to put together that machine, not just know how magic works. It's not necessarily human tech, but if she can build that I don't think it's too far-fetched for her to figure out how a gun or something works fairly easily. The more complex stuff would certainly be harder though.

That brings up another point though...they can probably combine spells with technology too, which opens up plenty of possibilities.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, BastementSparkle said:

It looked to me like a combination of spellcraft and technology, she had to have the technical know how to put together that machine, not just know how magic works. It's not necessarily human tech, but if she can build that I don't think it's too far-fetched for her to figure out how a gun or something works fairly easily. The more complex stuff would certainly be harder though.

That brings up another point though...they can probably combine spells with technology too, which opens up plenty of possibilities.

Such arrogance. He-he, I should know. Say, can any of you big brains operate a sniper rifle and hit that skull across the battlefield? Can just about any little girl that's not named Tanya Degurechaff understand advanced strategies and tactics that utilize modern tech as well as some hardboiled general? We have centuries of combat experience ingrained within our army leaders and soldiers. We're practically fighting every day. Even terrorism doesn't bother us anymore. Just change your avatar to a flag and post some sobby shit, then forget about the whole thing. Think how demoralized pony leadership would be if even a handful of them got brutally murdered. Also, Equestria didn't sign them conventions, if you know what I mean.

That aside, we've seen than once one opens a portal, magic goes both ways. What makes you all think that ponies would be the only ones playing with magic and tech?

Short answer, in terms oh physical abilities, yes. They have magics that defy and tamper with physics. We're just some apes that figured out how to use tools.

Military-wise we might have an edge because the only thing we're really good at is finding creative ways to kill things/each other, but I'm pretty sure once ponies learn how to really fight we'd be screwed.  

• Brohoof 1

On 11/5/2019 at 11:15 AM, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Short answer, in terms oh physical abilities, yes. They have magics that defy and tamper with physics. We're just some apes that figured out how to use tools.

Military-wise we might have an edge because the only thing we're really good at is finding creative ways to kill things/each other, but I'm pretty sure once ponies learn how to really fight we'd be screwed.  

Well, some unicorns maybe have the ability to reverse gravity, some have the ability to rewind time, and some ponies, like Starlight Glimmer, have the ability to shoot a massive beam of light that probably stretches all the way around the world, going through just about anything in its path.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Rainbows2424 said:

Well, some unicorns maybe have the ability to reverse gravity, some have the ability to rewind time, and some ponies, like Starlight Glimmer, have the ability to shoot a massive beam of light that probably stretches all the way around the world, going through just about anything in its path.

I think that's probably a bit of an exaggeration of the highest-level abilities. That said, a power doesn't need to be flashy to be devastaing - want-it-need-it, for instance.

• Brohoof 1