Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What should Twilght take back to Equestria?

Skytower

After all while Equestria is not in the stone age I'd still place their civilization at about the 1900 to 1920 era, because of the portal Twilight has access to highly advanced technology.  Medicine comes to mind quickly, but what else could she bring?

3 minutes ago, StrawCherry said:

Hold on a minute, I'm not quite sure I understand. :huh: Are we talking about human Twilight or pony Twilight? Back to and from where?

I also didnt understand. Was thinking about the same/

2 hours ago, StrawCherry said:

Hold on a minute, I'm not quite sure I understand. :huh: Are we talking about human Twilight or pony Twilight? Back to and from where?

Most likely (1) Pony Twilight and (2) to and from the Human World.

3 hours ago, StrawCherry said:

3 hours ago, Ginger Ale said:

I also didnt understand. Was thinking about the same/

Sorry, I didn't put that well.  I was thinking of pony Twilight.  Being a princess and famous any tech she introduced would gain acceptance faster than any Equestrian tech introduced by human Twilight.  For instance I'm sure Pinkie would like some of the computer printing I see on cakes, Rarity would love some of the synthetic fabrics...  That sort of thing.  

Thought about this a bit a few weeks ago, and came to the conclusion that almost anything you could do with technology, you could as easily do with magic; they don't have telephones or mobile phones, and while you can do the linked book thing, the only instance we know of where that is used is for Sunset Shimmer. Twi doesn't use it to send messages to celestia (she uses spike's magic mail ability) - so I am assuming they choose not to do some things deliberately, because they like things the way they are.  Maybe it's just ponyville and the "earth pony way" in some cases, but still... we have LPs and albums and wireless mics, we have school printing presses for school newspapers, Zecora can brew up a cure for nearly anything that has no side effects at negligible cost, which beats most of modern medicine, and so forth. It seems they have deliberately kept the minimum level of technology or magical assistance needed for their lifestyle, in what is clearly a very artificial world (sun and moon have to be manually moved around the sky, gems are mined already cut and polished, and so forth.

There is little you could add to Equestria from our world here that would actually make ponies lives better; each pony seems to have a perfect place in society just waiting for them; Pinkie bakes for the Cakes when not firing her cannon and party planning, RD has a job keeping the ponyville skies under control that seems to take her a handful of minutes per day, leaving the rest of her time free, and so forth. Under normal circumstances, each pony has things they enjoy (enhanced and reenforced by their cutie mark magic) and things they find fulfilling and rewarding to do for their society (which may be the same things, or may not) which is an impossible ideal, but hey, this is a fantasy world. 

If I were Princess Twilight, I would bring back a computer though it would need to be modified slightly so that it would work back in Equestria. She could have it mass produced along with bringing the internet and ponies could be surfing the web in mere days or weeks.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

If I were Princess Twilight, I would bring back a computer though it would need to be modified slightly so that it would work back in Equestria. She could have it mass produced along with bringing the internet and ponies could be surfing the web in mere days or weeks.

Might be kinda hard to type.  But a computer is something that I think Twilight would love to have, given its ability to organize and sort data.  She'd have to modify it to run on magic instead of electricity though.

I'd actually place equestria somewhere in the late 70s or early 80s in terms of tech, seeing as they have technicolor movie projectors, Polaroid cameras, turntables, a hydroelectric dam, x-rays, and what appear to be supercomputers and medical monitoring equipment. 

But what I didn't see were solar panels and wind turbines. You'd think with the ability to control nature ponies would harness it's power for renewable energy. Heck, create a hurricane and ponies could harness what amounts to at least a few thousand atomic weapons worth of energy. 

And while typing may be a hurdle, it's not impossible as AK Yearling proved. While the Internet maybe entertainment and a resource for us, it was originally founded as a means of communication to survive a ground war. An invaluable asset to link ponies together far and wide. 

With the pony's ideals of friendship, you'd think they'd want to keep in touch, so the introduction of a phone system, let alone mobile phones would be a welcome asset. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
10 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

I'd actually place equestria somewhere in the late 70s or early 80s in terms of tech, seeing as they have technicolor movie projectors, Polaroid cameras, turntables, a hydroelectric dam, x-rays, and what appear to be supercomputers and medical monitoring equipment. 

But what I didn't see were solar panels and wind turbines. You'd think with the ability to control nature ponies would harness it's power for renewable energy. Heck, create a hurricane and ponies could harness what amounts to at least a few thousand atomic weapons worth of energy. 

And while typing may be a hurdle, it's not impossible as AK Yearling proved. While the Internet maybe entertainment a DNA rescource for us, it was originally founded as a means of communication to survive a ground war. An invaluable asset to link ponies together far and wide. 

With the pony's ideals of friendship, you'd think they'd want to keep in touch, so the introduction of a phone system, let alone mobile phones would be a welcome asset. 

Then again we don't really see how this stuff is powered.  The lights and such could all be magic, manufactured by unicorns.  Communication is a bit different.  One of the things I always found puzzling about the anime Inuyasha was that the character of Kagome (who was able to travel back and forth between modern and medieval Japan through a magical well) never brought anything with her but a bicycle and pre-packaged snacks.  The characters were constantly being separated, she never thought to bring a pair of walkie-talkies?  In Twilight's case even if she doesn't bring stuff over I wonder if she'd try replicating various gadgets with magic.  

Another question I have is wether or not she can bring stuff through.  When Sunset went through her clothes (and I'm assuming everything in her pockets like her cell phone) vanished leaving only her backpack which transformed into a side pack.  Maybe the portal has some sort of limitation on what can be brought through?

Edited by Skytower
  • Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Skytower said:

Might be kinda hard to type.  But a computer is something that I think Twilight would love to have, given its ability to organize and sort data.  She'd have to modify it to run on magic instead of electricity though.

Not to mention make the keyboard hoof friendly.

• Brohoof 1