Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Sonic Heroes review

Aosera

In my view the most hardest Sonic game i've ever played. No, its not the stages. Stages are actually somewhat fun to gain A-Ranks, by just looking up scores on IGN or something.

What is hard is the special stages, not sure if this is game design to fight the controls or if its made to be bugged by mistake, since the only way sometimes that i could collect more orbs was to just boost in circles to the next orb due to not slowing down to much, if you are going to get the 3rd Chaos Emerald which is like the hardest to get in the game then this is the way i did it as Team Sonic, considering Team Dark and Team Sonic is the fastest, the best way to beat the special stages is strategy, like if too many obstacles then the more slower like Team Rose would be good since its easier to avoid that way... like the other 6 emeralds i think i got by somewhat skill in that regards, i had much more difficulity getting the 3rd one, and the fact that you have to go through the stage to get the key to do it again also can add some pressure, so if you want to take that stuff off your mind, listen to some audio online while doing it.The only bad thing i can say is "they talk too much" thats it like in gameplay wise.

Good thing i can say is it requires team work to get through the stage effectively, the concept and idea and execution works very well in that regards.

Super Hard mode with Sonic on the other hand is pretty insane once you get all the A-Ranks in the games which is unlocked once you do. Which is kind of fun to do.

Here is my personal favorite to least favorite to play through

1: Team Dark
2: Team Chaotix
3: Team Rose
4: Team Sonic

Also one thing i didn't like is sometimes there are glitches like with Vector i sometimes fell through the wall in Bullet Staton i think it was called though i didn't die luckily. And Sonic Team was even worse in some cases with the toad stages, if you pick Sonic and run straight through some loop. BOOM fall right through the stage. Or some failed scripted scenes. It has its flaws of that but its not implayable, some certain events are a pain which i noticed in main event of the game but thats like these few cases. Besides that its totally playable.

Otherwise this game is hard but that doesn't mean its really bad. But i won't say its perfect but its an ok playable game. S

I played the PS2 version which is infamous for some reason, though i haven't actually seen that much difference except the graphics is more sharper and framerates somewhat smoother on the other versions like Xbox, PC and GameCube. But it doesn't seem that different from the PS2 besides that. But i can't say for sure. This is the experience i got from the PS2 version atleast, i heard the GameCube is the best version to use though.

So there you have it. What do you think of the game in general if you have played it? I never beat it fully as a child but i always liked Sonic ever since Adventure 2 Battle on GameCube made me a fan. But back then Sonic Heroes was too dificult for me. But curious to how you experience the game itself

Played it quite a bit back in the day. Really enjoyed the 3 character team dynamic. The music was catchy and I too found the game to be difficult. As a kid I never really beat games per se, just played what I felt like was fun at the time. I personally would consider Sonic Heroes a classic Sonic game.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, takai said:

Played it quite a bit back in the day. Really enjoyed the 3 character team dynamic. The music was catchy and I too found the game to be difficult. As a kid I never really beat games per se, just played what I felt like was fun at the time. I personally would consider Sonic Heroes a classic Sonic game.

Well the first 2 stages i remember much and loved it mostly. The others not so much. Though now as an adult i played it all the way through and find new appreciation for the rest of the stages and concept that i couldn't really do back then since i did too just play whatever seemed fun back then. I thought Adventure 2 Battle was more my thing then, but i think the reason i couldn't get into it was that i just didn't understood much what the game was going for. With Adventure 2 Battle it was very simple, you play a character, you do this and it has a story. So that was just more easier to grasp into. But Sonic Heroes is in regards very good, and the execution of Team Work as game mechanic is pretty much well done.

Edited by Aosera

I LOVE this game. I still have not beaten it just yet. I'm almost finished with Team Chaotix and Team Sonic. I'm leaving Team Dark for last since they're the most difficult team. The issue is the Chaos Emeralds. I can't seem to hold the bonus key in the level and if I go to the bonus stage...I keep hitting the bombs...such a pain...

But the music of the game is so worth listening too. Can't wait to get to the FINAL final boss...

Amy's team is the easiest to get emeralds with, and please don't complain about too much talking. Sonic games for a while had next to no story. The talking gave extra info that was missing from the scenes, adding info that they didn't explain.

Also Heroes came after Adventure 2 which for a time every Shadow addict that played that, loved Shadow, and then got shown what happens at the end had been screaming bloody murder at that ending. Heroes finally explained, but still made the player wonder how he survived and if we were playing the real Shadow or an android. Watch Team Dark opening very very carefully and how Omega sees Shadow. He can see through Rouge but Shadow comes up different, so some have speculated he is not the real one the whole time. One of the other scenes suggesting playable Shadow is an android the whole time doesn't help fix the confusion, but in his own game he is definitely real and has stayed that way.

It's still not clear in that game the way he's written, but later games made it clear it was the real one, or at least he was the real one in his game onward.

The game play system is brilliant and I still love it for the multiple playable characters as well as how they clear the stages differently, which hasn't been done since either. They still haven't really nailed it since Boom isn't canon to the mainstream games, but I was just screaming hallelujah to having more playable characters the whole time since I was coming from playing two Adventure games and Sonic 3.

Games later in the series tried different methods and got either hit or miss, literally since it seems a good Sonic game is every other game instead of all of them. Thing is though, Heroes is still the last that has the largest cast (if you consider the other two are always hovering around you and it's a detriment when they die) even if you're forced to play 3 at a time. The Heroes formula, though forcing you to always have 3 onscreen and juggle them, I feel did it right in the sense that it had varied game play.

Later games just had Sonic and then later Classic Sonic, but still Sonic. With Boom not being canon to the mainstream, I keep wandering back to my time with this game and how much my face lit up seeing all the different characters actually being playable.

Also, best villain implementation ever IMHO, and they unfortunately never did the same thing with this character since ever. Poof, this character loses this ability suddenly and back to being his boring old self. Won't spoil for those who haven't played, but it's one of the few games when the actual villain isn't who you expect.

As I touched on Boom, I like that you finally got to play more than just Sonic, but as it's an alternate reality and not a main series game, Heroes still is the last game with more than just Sonic playable. Why have they not done a full playable cast main game in all this time? And no Forces doesn't count since 2 of them are Sonic and 1 is your OC. The rest of the canon cast are still not playable except Shadow for some of the game. 

Thank you for reminding me of this fun game. Good memories :)

Edited by Lektra Bolt

(edited)
40 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

and please don't complain about too much talking. Sonic games for a while had next to no story. The talking gave extra info that was missing from the scenes, adding info that they didn't explain.

Well it is annoying when it replays. Once is enough. I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't so repetetive. The game is overall good though despite that, but maybe its not too bad for everyone.

Also if you have played Shadow the Hedgehog video game, its explained that Shadow in Sonic Heroes to Shadow the Hedgehog is the real shadow. Its a short voice clip by Eggman during the final boss that he picked Shadow up in outer space and took him to that capsule which he got out from in Sonic Heroes. Though Eggman mind tricks him sometimes of being real or fake.

Well atleast real Shadow as in SA2 Shadow that you were in that game to Sonic Heroes and outwards

Edited by Aosera

Just now, Aosera said:

Well it is annoying when it replays. Once is enough. I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't so repetetive. The game is overall good though despite that, but maybe its not too bad for everyone.

Ok I'll give you that! :)

I don't have much experience with it, save for a few demos when I was younger.

That being said, I remember enjoying what little I did play through.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.

Controls are rather slippery compared to SA1 and 2, and some of the levels can go fuck themselves like rail canyon, plus the game has the worst case of padding. That said I had fun with team Sonic and Rose. It's not nearly as bad as Shadow the Hedgehog though. That's an awful game.

8 hours ago, Aosera said:

Also if you have played Shadow the Hedgehog video game, its explained that Shadow in Sonic Heroes to Shadow the Hedgehog is the real shadow. Its a short voice clip by Eggman during the final boss that he picked Shadow up in outer space and took him to that capsule which he got out from in Sonic Heroes. Though Eggman mind tricks him sometimes of being real or fake.

Oh I know, I played it and liked it. Lots of people hate that game but I enjoyed it. I know it's one of the miss games though and can see the reasons why just don't let them get to me. His namesake game retroactively explains he's been the real one the whole time since Heroes onward, but Heroes itself threw a mind feck at players wanting to know if he survived or was an android clone that wasn't aware he was fake. Some scenes suggested yes and some suggested no, but it was definitely he was being tricked as explained in his game. Heroes leaves it ambiguous, able to swing either way, and I like to say this was intentional to mess with people who were dieing to know.

A couple of the standard endings in his own game also suggest he's an android, which doesn't help the mind feck and confusion that had been going on since Heroes until you actually play the real final story. Let's just say I didn't appreciate being messed with for all of Heroes and most of his own game, and I'm not even like hugely into Shadow like some of those people. I just like straight answers lol

Edited by Lektra Bolt