Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfic help

Rainbow Sparkle

Now, I'm working on my Trixie joins the Equestrian Army fic, and I'm wanting some tips/ideas/suggestions on how to proceed after she experiences her first day of army training. I'm also wanting to know what some of you think the training would be like. At the moment, I'm basing it off US Army basic training, only shortening it to six weeks instead of ten.

I'm also trying to think of some other important background things, such as the technological abilities of the Diamond Dogs, as well as what sort of weapons Equestrians would (and can) use, as well as the same for the Diamond Dogs and also the Griffons. I'm also looking for incite on background information for what those two races societies are like.

Can anyone lend a hoof?

You could have Trixie go to a Unicorn specific unit, where they learn combat magic like Pyromancy/Teramancy. Diamond dogs have been seen to use only spears and their own brute strength so they seem fairly primitive. And Griffons seem to be as fast as the Pegasi so maybe they use smaller weapons to attack and use their speed as their main advantage. Just some ideas. Hope they help :D

I imagine the training would be split into multiple groups depending on the pony's class (Unicorn, Pegasus, etc). Twilight showed off what Unicorns can do on the offensive in the finale, so I would include that with Trixie's experience. Regarding the other classes, I imagine that the Pegasus would be tacticians/commanders that would lead the Earth ponies into ground assaults. I suppose the Earth pony's arsenal would include ramming headgear and perhaps something like jousting spears.

Now, regarding Trixie's experience in this military, as a reader I would like to read about what prompted the creation of the military. Things such as the atmosphere of the training program and what these trainees will do after completing their training would be interesting to learn about as well. It would be very cool if this story evolves into a potential war between the ponies and Changelings after the events of "A Canterlot Wedding", not to mention you could throw in some tension between the ponies and the Griffions/Diamond Dogs, so you have a lot to work with.

You could have Trixie go to a Unicorn specific unit, where they learn combat magic like Pyromancy/Teramancy. Diamond dogs have been seen to use only spears and their own brute strength so they seem fairly primitive. And Griffons seem to be as fast as the Pegasi so maybe they use smaller weapons to attack and use their speed as their main advantage. Just some ideas. Hope they help :D

The idea I have is that this takes place about a month after the Changeling Invasion, and that Princess Celestia has stepped up recruitment to bolster the Army, specifically, looking for Unicorn's whose special talent relates to magic of some sort (someone like trixie or twilight for instance) with the goal of having a unicorn in each squad who can cast a dis-spell on changelings (as well as be able to detect them with magic)

I have a few ideas as for why they were only armed with spears, one of which being that they don't expect much resistance from ponies and so don't use more advanced weapons on them, saving them instead for real dangers (perhaps the mountains they live in have something akin to the spice worms of dune :P)

I imagine the training would be split into multiple groups depending on the pony's class (Unicorn, Pegasus, etc). Twilight showed off what Unicorns can do on the offensive in the finale, so I would include that with Trixie's experience. Regarding the other classes, I imagine that the Pegasus would be tacticians/commanders that would lead the Earth ponies into ground assaults. I suppose the Earth pony's arsenal would include ramming headgear and perhaps something like jousting spears.

The initial plan for the basic training is working with the other two species. The advanced training afterward would be done with Unicorns only.

They seem able to hold spears as far as I can tell, so they wouldn't necessarily need jousting spears. I could also see them adding spikes to some armored boots to give an added punch to any attacks with hooves.

Now, regarding Trixie's experience in this military, as a reader I would like to read about what prompted the creation of the military. Things such as the atmosphere of the training program and what these trainees will do after completing their training would be interesting to learn about as well. It would be very cool if this story evolves into a potential war between the ponies and Changelings after the events of "A Canterlot Wedding", not to mention you could throw in some tension between the ponies and the Griffions/Diamond Dogs, so you have a lot to work with.

The Equestrians had an army, but since its been peace time it was mostly just the royal guard who were active, and the rest of the army was more akin to a national guard than a standing army. With the threat the changelings pose however, Celestia decides to expand the army and turn at least some of it into a standing force, with the current primary objective being to sweep thru Equestria and hunt down any changelings that may be lurking within the country still.

Trixie is joining because she gets fired from another job, which has been happening for a year and a half for her ever since the Ursa Minor incident.

Working as a team will be a big part of the training, as well as the usual attention to detail and obedience to authority bit. Normally, after training, they'd go back to civilian life after a short stint as an active duty soldier, then do something akin to what the national guard does. Now however, they'll be going active duty and hunting down changelings.

My current plan revolves around Discord having broken free, but in the process effectively knocking him down to somewhere between Twilight and Celestia (more powerful then Twilight, but less powerful than Celestia/Luna/Cadence) and his decision shortly afterward to build an army with which to conquer Equestria. Since he happens to be in the very mountains where the Diamond Dogs and Griffons live...however, Changelings will still play a part, as they will have their own plans. (three way battle for Equestria, yay!)