Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hey there @RainbowDashCool, I merged your thread with this one here. In the future, use the search function to make sure your thread idea doesn't already exist :)

• 9 months later...

It's not well written - the grammar is poor, and the descriptions of events are extremely bland.

It's got no storyline beyond "Pinkie tortures RD to death"

It's too short.

Cheerilee's Garden is better (or worse depending on your perspective): The writing is better, it has a storyline, and the torture is more graphic and detailed than in cupcakes.

Eh, Cupcakes is not my cup of tea. It's pretty generic for a grimdark fanfic and I don't really like Pinkie's characterisation, as well as the underserved torture that Rainbow has gotten. At least it's more tolerable to read than Sweet Apple Massacre.

I don't like grimdark/torture in any setting, but I am consistently baffled at how many gory fan fictions like Cupcakes there are of this colorful cartoon horse show for children. 

If that's what you're into I ain't gonna judge, but it makes me scratch my head all the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello cupcakes the bane of my existence! We meet again. This fanfic has been nothing but a thorn n my side since day one. This fanfic has done nothing but ruin pinkie's good name for what? to piss off pinkiedash shippers? I am sorry but there is no excuse to ruin some a sweet pony's reputation just because you don't like a stupid ship.

• Brohoof 1

I can only imagine that the reputation it has is down to it being one of the first Grimdark MLP fics to go "viral". It's all shock no substance, an over reliance on gore instead of anything genuinely scary or intimidating. It is amusing bringing it up with complete Pinkiemaniacs though, it's like the Flash Sentry of fanfics.

(edited)

I've never seen what the big deal about Cupcakes is...

I mean, I thought it was supposed to be funny, not serious (and frankly, I can't see how anyone can view it as a serious fic at all). You know, a fanfic written based off of a joke that functions off of the contrast created by a colorful pastel pony made for a TV show originally intended for 6-year-old girls being a psychopathic murderer. It's just like "SHED.MOV", but for some reason everypony liked that one.

Whether or not the joke was funny or well-written, I don't see why everypony always gets so upset about Cupcakes. It's just a dumb story that isn't even canon that was made by some guy/girl.

Edited by Hocus Pocus

• 8 years later...

I read it. I don’t know why. I heard others talking about it and stuff. The actual fanfiction wasn’t that good. The good stuff is when people make rewrites or sequels. The best sequel I ever found was a story someone wrote where Pinkie Pie is innocent and being controlled by the soul of a serial killer from 60 years ago who escaped the pony underworld to keep killing. And then Rainbow Dash is appointed by the underworld leader to return to the world of the living and save Pinkie from her possession before more people die. It was so good!!! But then it ended on a cliffhanger. And it hasn’t been updated in a decade. So I guess I just can’t have nice things.