Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Sailor's Rave: An EDM remix of the Sailor's Hornpipe

DJ_Bonebraker

So, After several weeks of music theory class, I decided to take a crack at doing an electronic re-make I'd been wanting to do of a traditional piece called The Sailor's Hornpipe, The College Hornpipe or Jack's the Lad.  I'm rather pleased with how it turned out overall, and one of the more interesting surprises I had when making it was that, when I decided to go with the lead-in being entirely traditional instruments, but at 150 BPM, I went with a standard jig/hornpipe drum beat on an old-timey drum, and when I went through my loop libraries for some techno/house beats I could use, I found a set of related loops in this old CakeWalk loop library I have that uses the exact same drum pattern for the kicks, so I decided to use that as a way to show how modern music is related to & can be mixed with traditional music.

The photo montage I used for making the video are all photos I've taken from 2000 - 2013, both when I was in the Navy & of museum ships at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, MD.  The ships featured, in order of appearance are:

USS Constellation Sloop of War (museum ship, Historic Ships of Baltimore)
USS O'Brien DD-975 (first ship I was stationed on, decommissioned Sep, 2004)
USS Carl Vinson CVN-70 (lead ship in the battle group the USS O'Brien was part of during Operation Enduring Freedom, Still in active service)
USCGC Taney WHEC-37 (museum ship, Historic Ships of Baltimore)
USS Torsk SS-423 (museum ship, Historic Ships of Baltimore)
USS Belleau Wood LHA-3 (last ship I was stationed on, decommissioned Oct, 2005)
USS Missouri BB-63 (museum ship, Pearl Harbor, HI)