Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mane 6, Spike, and Starlight reading Animorphs

heavens-champion

@heavens-champion

Being a reader of that book series back in high school from 2003-maybe 2008 AFTER its initial publication releases from 1996-2001, I have some things to say. I don't have the time to say it all at once, so here's my first big connection observation.

For one, the Yeerk invaders that invade your head and read your memories to pass themselves off as if nothing's wrong can be similar to evil Changelings that replaced the original pony they're imitating. 

Heck, my 2 favorite books are #19: The Departure and #29: The Sickness, both starring the Animal care-taker of the group, Cassie. In #19, Cassie meets a Yeerk named Aftran controlling a little girl and discovers not ALL Yeerks want to invade and wish to find a better way for them to get what they want. In #29, All of the main Animorphs have gotten sick, leaving Cassie alone to try and save Aftran before the good Yeerk would be forced to reveal to the Yeerk Empire all the secrets of our heroes. Just replace Aftran with Thorax and Cassie's role in #19 with Spike's role in "Times They Are a Changeling" and Cassie's role in #29 with Starlight's role in "To Where and Back Again."

What do you think of that?

4 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

@heavens-champion

Being a reader of that book series back in high school from 2003-maybe 2008 AFTER its initial publication releases from 1996-2001, I have some things to say. I don't have the time to say it all at once, so here's my first big connection observation.

For one, the Yeerk invaders that invade your head and read your memories to pass themselves off as if nothing's wrong can be similar to evil Changelings that replaced the original pony they're imitating. 

Heck, my 2 favorite books are #19: The Departure and #29: The Sickness, both starring the Animal care-taker of the group, Cassie. In #19, Cassie meets a Yeerk named Aftran controlling a little girl and discovers not ALL Yeerks want to invade and wish to find a better way for them to get what they want. In #29, All of the main Animorphs have gotten sick, leaving Cassie alone to try and save Aftran before the good Yeerk would be forced to reveal to the Yeerk Empire all the secrets of our heroes. Just replace Aftran with Thorax and Cassie's role in #19 with Spike's role in "Times They Are a Changeling" and Cassie's role in #29 with Starlight's role in "To Where and Back Again."

What do you think of that?

But that doesn't answer the question.

4 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

But that doesn't answer the question.

*sigh* Like I said, Spike would relate to Cassie befrending a Yeerk just like he did with Thorax. That would answer the answer at least for Spike. The others? I have no idea.

Just now, SwitchGuy2018 said:

*sigh* Like I said, Spike would relate to Cassie befrending a Yeerk just like he did with Thorax. That would answer the answer at least for Spike. The others? I have no idea.

Oh. Sorry.

I was also asking if you saw the Changeling-Yeerk connection as I did. 

Heck in #19 Cassie made a deal that the Yeerk Aftran would release her host and go back to being a blind slug in exchange for Cassie to morph into a blind caterpillar and stay past the 2 hour limit trapping her in that form. Aftran expected a selfish human like Cassie to break the deal and morph out. But when Cassie kept her word, Aftran saw her as trustworthy and wanted her to morph out but Caterpillar Cassie couldn't hear her and got trapped. By the time the rest of the Animorphs found them. After hearing about the deal, most of the Animorphs didn't trust her to let her go, but like Twilight being the first to accept Thorax as a Friend, Jake decided to trust Aftran and let her go. And Yeerk Aftran kept her word, freeing her host, a little girl named Karen

Heck, Cassie escaped being stuck as a caterpillar when she became a butterfly, resetting the morphing time limit parraels the Changelings being free once they reached their butterfly forms.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

I was also asking if you saw the Changeling-Yeerk connection as I did. 

Heck in #19 Cassie made a deal that the Yeerk Aftran would release her host and go back to being a blind slug in exchange for Cassie to morph into a blind caterpillar and stay past the 2 hour limit trapping her in that form. Aftran expected a selfish human like Cassie to break the deal and morph out. But when Cassie kept her word, Aftran saw her as trustworthy and wanted her to morph out but Caterpillar Cassie couldn't hear her and got trapped. By the time the rest of the Animorphs found them. After hearing about the deal, most of the Animorphs didn't trust her to let her go, but like Twilight being the first to accept Thorax as a Friend, Jake decided to trust Aftran and let her go. And Yeerk Aftran kept her word, freeing her host, a little girl named Karen

Heck, Cassie escaped being stuck as a caterpillar when she became a butterfly, resetting the morphing time limit parraels the Changelings being free once they reached their butterfly forms.

All I got out of this was Jake trusting Aftran being similar to Twilight being the first to trust Thorax and believe he isn't like the other Changelings. And something about morphing time limits being reset being similar to the Changelings getting their new forms.

Edited by heavens-champion

4 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

All I got out of this was Jake trusting Aftran being similar to Twilight being the first to trust Thorax and believe he isn't like the other Changelings.

Well, my answer was my personal observation.

I'm not sure, really. Since the Animorphs started out trying to hold on to their morals and principals, I think at first they could sort of get behind it as a relatively light story. But as the war becomes more desperate and all the Animorphs become more and more hardened, I don't know how they'd handle it. I think Twilight wouldn't be surprised or shocked, given she's probably read enough history books to know about the horrors of war, while Rainbow Dash would probably likewise enjoy the series. I think Rarity wouldn't be very interested in the story to begin with, nor would Fluttershy. I have no idea whatsoever what Pinkie Pie would think of the franchise. Applejack would probably understand why the kids get darker and darker as the story progresses, but I think the constant lies and deception on both sides would grind her gears because it's so contrary to her own nature. Starlight might be reminded of her own past by the Yeerks, but I think that otherwise she'd enjoy the series, and Spike would probably consider it cool, and not fully think about the horror inherent to the setting.