gaming What is Your Opinion on the Battle Royale Video Game Genre?

EpicEnergy

Your opinion and thoughts could be about the battle royale genre's typical gameplay mechanics, marketing, popularity, microtransactions, and so forth, anything that has to do with battle royales in general.

*totally not up to any shenanigans* :ithastolookpretty:

I think this is possibly the most overrated genre on the planet. Battle Royale games are all shamelessly similar to each other, to the point where it feels like a joke. They might have small things to give the illusion of playing something totally different, but they all have you dropping out of a vehicle, they all have you avoiding some dumb circle, they all have you looting, they all have you dying after playing for 20 minutes thus wasting your time and they all have dumb emotes and cosmetics that are highly over-bloated. Not to mention, I simple hate this style of gameplay. Very RNG-based loot system and if you die, sorry, that match was a total waste of time. It feels like destroyed potential, as a game like Apex Legends plays pretty well, it is just trapped underneath this soulless bandwagon. The scope of the maps can be ingredients for far more interesting gameplay, yet it is all boring. It being some trend is another thing that I hate. It feels like so many people play these games to be part of the trend and not much more. People flocked to Fortnite because of PUBG and streamers, then when people got sick of it they flocked to Apex and defended it with their life even on day one. Apex is a good example too, as it is also just their version of hopping on a cash-bandwagon and it is not only nothing special to me, it is at the cost of Titanfall 3 which they seem to have no plans of making right now. That could be EA's doing, but I am sure Respawn is loving all the BR money they are making now.

In short, I think Battle Royale games are both soulless and simply unfun experiences, but if others are able to gain enjoyment from it all legitimately, then fine. I just hope it isn't the result of a hive mind mentality.

• Brohoof 2

KyoshiFrostWolfSIG1.jpg.b0b2e3d0d15e6abf25982983986dcba1.jpg

I think the genre is over-hated. It’s the new “cool” thing to hate. I think PUBG soured a lot of people’s tastes toward it for releasing in such a broken state, and then Fortnite having a “young” player base makes it “cool” to hate on it. I consider it an evolving genre in its infancy, so I don’t think it’s far enough in to grade it fully, but Apex Legends definitely has shown me how good the genre could become.

I hate it, and the fact that it's all over the internet and impossible to escape doesn't make it any more tolerable for me. Not to mention the terrible memes that come out of it. I just don't like free for all games in general, so I'd like to avoid the genre as much as possible.

As far as microtransactions go, they're not exactly a new thing. Purely cosmetic stuff is fine for me, and I might even spend a few bucks on a free game if I like it enough, but as soon as pay to win mechanics are introduced, that's when problems start (I'm looking at you, Wargaming). 

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash Fanatic

"You stroll down memories of younger, brighter times 'cause you never realize what you've got till you leave it all behind." ~ dBPony

"So we’re here at the end, did we teach you well, my friend? Don’t look so sad to see us go, after the rain comes rainbows." ~ Princewhateverer

"Darlin' you'll be okay." ~ Vic Fuentes

I don't understand how it didn't come about and explode in popularity years ago, it's by no means an original idea, it just wasn't wide spread. People joke about the Mine Craft Hunger Games, but around that time, I was wondering why with Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Halo with their team matches, why there weren't these epic free for alls! You could use it as a means to determine who the best single player in the world is this way! Sure there are a lot of variables that result in utter chaos, but there will always be a last man standing, and people are going to stand out after several rounds. I wait for the day we have proper full on battles with hundreds of players on at once, and with VR advancements we'll get as close to the real deal as we can.

Honestly, I implore people to try the genre before judging.

Edited by Guest

I've had my fun with the genre, mostly PUBG which was legitimately enjoyable, and Fortnite, mechanically speaking I think they're good and get tense. That said I've had my time with the genre and I have no interest in the genre anymore.

43 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Nah, people need to say something about a thing they've never played because it's popular. 

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Key Sharkz said:

I've played Fortnite, PUBG, Blackout and Apex. Seems to be enough to form an opinion. Since many of these are so eerily similar, all anyone has to do is watch gameplay of them to get the idea. This genre is the very definition of hit and miss.

Just now, Kyoshi said:

I've played Fortnite, PUBG, Blackout and Apex. Seems to be enough to form an opinion. Since many of these are so eerily similar, all anyone has to do is watch gameplay of them to get the idea. This genre is the very definition of hit and miss.

Wasn't really referring to people who have actually tried the game. :P

While it's not really my cup of tea, at this point the ammount of hate the genre gets is almost comical. You would think that the creator of the genre regularly shits in peoples  breakfeast ceral from the way that some people act about it. 

• Brohoof 5

t1lKsUM.jpg

16 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Wasn't really referring to people who have actually tried the game. :P

I figured as much. It simply feels like, at times, people make it seem like anyone who hates this genre either has never played it or is hating it blindly with no justification or they see those opinions entirely as invalid.

14 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I figured as much. It simply feels like, at times, people make it seem like anyone who hates this genre either has never played it or is hating it blindly with no justification or they see those opinions entirely as invalid.

I only even mention it because in many topics I see or places where these are discussed, a good chunk of people that "hate" these games openly admit to never playing them. Or they're judging the entire genre based upon the fanbase of said genre.

So, I was annoyed that my opinion kept getting called invalid, so I installed Apex and played a few matches. Let's start with the good, I guess.

The download process was nice and fast, though a big part of that is my internet. It doesn't look like a cheap cartoon, so it's already better than Fortnite. I didn't get flamed whenever I died, so that's a step up from the League of Legends community. Microtransactions are all cosmetic (as far as I could tell), meaning it's not pay to win, so they've got Wargaming beat on that front. It looked surprisingly fleshed out, and I almost wanted to like the game. Almost.

Like I said before, I don't like free for all games. I don't know how many times I have to say it. Battle royale obviously ended up being no exception, because hey, it's a ffa game, which I hate. Apex just made that fact worse by placing me with two people who knew what they were doing and were almost certainly annoyed at having player who's worse than them drag them down. It basically took my least favorite parts from ffa games and regular team vs team games and mashed them together in a massive ball of boringness and anxiety. So while the game looked nice and the tutorial was pleasant, it wasn't the slightest bit enjoyable because, like I said, I absolutely despise the genre. It's almost like I know what kinds of games I like playing, and I knew this would be a waste of my time.

Rainbow Dash Fanatic

"You stroll down memories of younger, brighter times 'cause you never realize what you've got till you leave it all behind." ~ dBPony

"So we’re here at the end, did we teach you well, my friend? Don’t look so sad to see us go, after the rain comes rainbows." ~ Princewhateverer

"Darlin' you'll be okay." ~ Vic Fuentes

I have zero interest in it, because a lot of it is just more of the same thing to me. If a battle royale were to try something vastly different and manage to wow me, then I might singing a different tune.

Edited by Cash_In

At first I rejected the zero, but that was because I simply didn't understand it. Now I do.