Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gender of some ponies in other languages

Ittoni

I don't know if it's adequately titled.

I watched mlp in english in it's entirety and for the most part you don't really have to worry about thinking in gender because the language is very neutral or completely omits that part of the conversation unless they are refered to as mare, filly, stallion or colt or they refer to the character indirectly.

Well I've been watching the episodes in spanish with my parents and I noticed that when the characters talk about rainbow dash or when she referres to herself she alternates between male and female pronouns or gendered words. Much more at the start of the series though, later it was removed to be 100% female. Same goes when others refer to Spitfire.

Whenever Rainbow talks about her past she refers to herself as a colt. 

Tha one purple pegasus in the Washouts is voiced by a very obviously male voice actor.

In spanish there's no neutral gender so what they do sometimes is if the character looks and acts like male or female enough it gets changed to either male or female entirely, and if they can't then they alternate between one and other.

I just found it interesting. My parents constantly ask me if Rainbow, Scootaloo and others are male.

Do you have examples like this?

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

Haven't noticed wrong genders in Russian dub

Thought tomboy girls referring to themselves as males is a pretty common thing, I think Spanish dub tried to emphasize this part of rd's character

It's been a while since I watched MLP in Portuguese, but out of the few episodes I watched of season 1, they got Spitfire's gender wrong. She was voiced by a man and referred to as a male.

34 minutes ago, Kamii said:

It's been a while since I watched MLP in Portuguese, but out of the few episodes I watched of season 1, they got Spitfire's gender wrong. She was voiced by a man and referred to as a male.

That sounds like fun :)

• Brohoof 2

17 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

Well, I just watch the English version so I don’t have any input.

I heard somewhere though they turned Steven Magnet into a girl in “Slice of Life” because whatever country it was didn’t approve of feminine guys

that's kind of interesting considering the moustache situation but I guess it's would be translated more as whiskers or something

Well, i watched the hindi dub and they got applejack's and rainbow's gender male in one part and female in another part and i yeah Smolder and ocellus's gender was also altered

• Brohoof 1