private The Æther Project

Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle @Props ValRoa

14 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

She was quiet for a moment but responded, "She was my sister, and my mother's favorite. She was kind to me though, on occasion."

"She was sent out on an expedition to find a new land for us, but her expedition was discovered by the Flappers and the Dirt Ponies... and she never came back."

She sighed, "I don't know if the other ponies really did anything to her... maybe that's just what Mother thought happened... but I do know that she never came back."

"By the Earth Mother... What a horrible situation, for both you and your mother. No wonder she trusted them little, and got so protective of you. Even if they had nothing to do with her not returning, I cannot fault her for worrying that this might befall you too.

I'm profoundly sorry for your loss, Aurum. Though I hope it were not as bleak as it might have been, and rather, she found purpose away from your home, and wished not to return. A most unfortunate thing for one to do, considering those who would miss them, but considering the alternative, I hope this were it."

Grizzly things may have happened, though as said, perhaps she merely found purpose elsewhere. One that did not agree with her mother. Yet regardless of the cause, the result were the same: An overprotective mother, feeling reinforced, in not trusting other subspecies of equines. Dreadful business, though at least somewhat understandable now.

She smiled at the praise, "Mother taught me to be vigilant, always watchful, and magic is very good at sensing through walls."

"I sense via the wind passing over, things, sound, and the feeling of life around them. Yet my senses are not as wide ranging and comprehensive as yours, unless something abnormal is happening. Such as if they have not showered for weeks, though even then, I think you would still have me beat, by quite a large margin.

I also have a certain habit of not sensing metal signs at times, for some reason. Thankfully, I have a resistant head."

He'd chuckle at that, and await the arrival of their guests, who were bound to enter soon after.

Aurum backed up to the corner when Last and Spiral entered the room. She recognized them as the ponies who had been near when she first woke up.

She put a shield between her and them, keeping Briar on her side of the shield.

12 hours ago, Spiral Spell said:

Spiral would look back to Briar and Brittle. She would nod in a formal fashion. "All I know is that she was trapped down there and there was a lot of disturbing stuff. We found her inside some sort of...Energy Nexus, upon piles and piles of severed unicorn horns. The Empress, a malevolent one was the one behind it all. Very dangerous. Not good, to say the least." she sighed.

"One of the ones we went with ended up losing his life down there. Sacrificed himself to save us. His name was Light." Spiral would add. 

Considering she were nearly glued to Briar, and keeping him between the newcomers, and her, Brittle were bound to be on the good side of the shield too. As for Briar though, he frowned, clearly not pleased at what information he were told. Not all of which he understood, but what of it he did, cast a vastly more cruel light upon Aurum's mother, and also of her home. This would.... Not be easy news to break to her.

"I am sorry for the loss of your friend. As for what you have told me... I ask that when Aurum is known, that you show her understanding, as it cannot be easy news to hear. She had hoped there were yet a home for her down there...

That empress, I assume were their ruler? How were the rest of the area? And have you any idea, how long Aurum were in there? She have mentioned a kitsune, that she called kitty, whom her mother did not approve of. As well as referencing earth ponies and pegasi, as flappers and dirt ponies, if that helps? It sounded like they did not mingle. Ah, and a mention of unicorns raising the sun and moon."

"I'm not a history buff, but I only heard about unicorns raising the sun and moon, thousands of years ago, before the princesses united the ponies to make Equestria.

And the place were a wreck. Everything were covered in ice and snow, and did not look like there had lived anyone there for a while. Just some frozen, preserved corpses here and there, and that zombie of an empress, controlling a horde of other undead. The kitsune were still down there though. Messed with us, then send us off to retrieve Aurum, and bring her to safety. She said she'd stay there, until someone would find her in the future."

"...And here I thought it could not get worse, than I had feared."

He'd wait to hear from Spiral, if she had some information to add to this, before responding to Aurum, that might help to narrow the timeframe down a little, but he did sadly have some to share with her. Things which he doubted she would take well, though he couldn't blame her. It would not be easy news to hear.

She spoke to Briar "They were there when I first woke up here..."

If they didn't react negatively to her shield, and remained calm, she would lower it as Briar seemed to trust them. But she would raise it at a moment's notice if they tried to get close to her or startled her in any way.

She asked Briar, "What are they saying? Ask them how I got here."

Last would look towards Aurum, with her one open, icy-blue eye gazing at her with curiosity, though she'd look away soon after, to Briar, and not make any attempt to move closer, nor take any action, that would make her seem more threatening, than she already were. If she were lucky, her whole appearance of being a guard - which she were, to some degree - would be something Aurum were familiar enough with, to not have issues, but they'd just have to wait and see.

"Sadly, they have given some answers, though I'm afraid they are not good. Please do remember, I am only relaying what I am told here, Aurum, and that I am here, if you need me for support.

*sigh* For the good news, it seems as if your kitty is still alive and well down there, and as these two and their group arrived, asked them to find you, and bring you to safety. It sounded as if she will remain down there for now, and wait for a future where others will find her.

I'm afraid that is where the good news end though. From what they say, the area were entirely covered in ice, with no life within. A completely inhospitable environment.

They say someone called The Empress, had you trapped in a kind of energy nexus, atop a large pile, of unicorn horns. It also sounded like she were not alive though, and that they lost a friend dealing with her, and getting you to safety. It sounds as if your kitty, didn't want you to languish there.

I... I'm so sorry Aurum, that I cannot present better news to you."

He felt mournful, and filled with sorrow, over what the poor filly had to learn here. What a horrid situation, for such a young mind to have to hear, and he fully expected something to come of it. Whatever it were, he would not blame her. It were understandable, that she would be shaken over hearing something like this, and she might well lash out. He hoped not, but he could not rule it out.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom @Props ValRoa

On 2023-02-04 at 3:03 AM, Blitz Boom said:

I... I'm so sorry Aurum, that I cannot present better news to you."

There were a lot of emotions on Aurum's face as Briar relayed the information to her. While she was happy to hear that the Kitsune was alright, that was the only good part of the news.

To hear that everything had been destroyed, everyone dead, and worse the horrors of her imprisonment, it was a lot for the filly to take in all at once.

She was quiet for a long while, before she opened the mental connection to Spiral. Her voice was hesitant, but determined, "Show me what you saw."

Assuming that Spiral obliged her request, Aurum would start to cry as she witnessed the truth of it for herself.

She shut off the connection once she saw Spiral's memory of extracting her from the amber, and seeing her mark, the very same nexus she had been trapped in. To Briar she said, "So it's true. That's all I was to her, all I am, a tool for her. What now then? Branded and mutated as I am what can my purpose be?"

She was quite lost and confused both as to her present, and her past.

• Brohoof 2

@Props ValRoa @Illiad Easle

Briar were not sure what happened, for a few moments, as Aurum did not seem to speak to him, but as he'd assume, rather Aurum, considering where she were looking.

All he knew, is that after a few moment, she'd cry. The smell of salty tears, hitting his nostrils like an uncomfortable perfume, rinses with sadness and misery. He'd lean in at that point, and calmly embrace her, to show her some support, and give her a should to cry upon, if she so wished for that. 

As she began talking to him again, he'd answer as best he could, though he were unsure if he could even find the right words for this. He might have known loss, from his own life, as well as that of others, but what had happened to Aurum, were something more. Something far darker, that he couldn't even fully grasp the enormity of, nor the depravity, which had caused it.

"To live. To explore. To become your own pony, and show that you are no tool to be used, but a living, feeling foal, deserving of love and happiness. Just as much as any creature are.

I cannot fully comprehend how much it must hurt, to learn what you have, Aurum. But I know loss, and what it is, to have been used, and mean nothing, to those who you should mean everything to. It might mean little now, but there is a way forth. One where you will can be happy, and find your own purpose, rather than what others would force upon you. Earth Mother as my witness, I swear I will do what I can, to make that happen."

IN his culture, you did not swear on the Earth Mother lightly. If you gave your word, with her as your witness, it were heresy to not fulfil that, lest it were literally impossible to do.

The path for Aurum would be... Hard. She had no one, and the mother she had still seen up to, had seemingly turned out to be a cruel, evil creature, using her for her own purpose. Perhaps the same thing that had happened to her sister before her... It put a lot of things in question about her really, and opened up the possibilities that she had either been one of the victims, for getting Aurum to where she ended up, or had escaped when she learned of the plans, and made sure to appear to have vanished.

Regardless, all of that didn't matter right now. What, and who, mattered right now, were Aurum. And in his opinion at least, she needed to be reminded that there were some who actually cared for her.

And he were not the only one. Though apprehensive, and still scared, Brittle saw the crying filly, in Briar's embrace. It reminded her of all the many, many times, when it had been her in that foals step, fearful, and feeling alone... She wouldn't wish that sort of thing on anyone. It were a miserable, gnawing feeling, that kept hurting, long after the tears had run dry.

S she'd get in a little closer, from Briar's side, and while standing a bit behind him, to the right side, would reach out a shaking hoof , and ever so gently, put it on Aurum's head, or shoulder. Something close by, whilst looking at her. Afraid herself, but as were seen in her eyes too, sympathetic, and worried for the filly.

Some way from them, overseeing it all, were Last. She did not hear any of what were going on, as it were all in the head of these others, yet as she had seen Aurum cry, her muscles had briefly tensed. Seeing an alicorn cry felt wrong to her. Foals she had seen cry before, when some parents, friends, or extended family, had not returned from the battlefield, or on the faces of some of the countless orphans that The Æther had, whom she had sometimes seen around. Though she could tell herself that at least they hadn't died in vain, and that there were solace to find in that, even her hardened heart, ached in sympathy for the young ones, who had felt great loss. She remembered being in that position herself, and trying to move past the grief she felt from that.

...It were not easy. Nor would it be for Aurum.

"...Can I ask, what happened?"

• Brohoof 2

@Illiad Easle @Blitz Boom

Spiral would relay her memories of the whole ordeal - from the moment they entered underground to the moment that Spiral had freed Aurum from containment down there. Aurum was able to see all of what Spiral had seen - and Aurum had also seen that one of the ponies she was with - Light, had sacrificed himself so they could escape. After Aurum had seen enough, she would walk towards her calmly upon seeing her crying.

"You make your own choices. Find your own purpose. You will learn this with time, and you'll be alright. We are here for you to help guide you - but it's up to you to make those decisions. There are many other ponies here who are not ready to see an alicorn yet." Spiral would state simply, so Aurum could understand what she was saying. She didn't want to scare Aurum more with other memories she had of the events where they took power over the Project. 

• Brohoof 2

Aurum would be receptive, but mostly unresponsive to the various outpourings of concern towards her sadness. Continuing to cry as she attempted to reconcile everything that had happened.

On 2023-02-10 at 12:47 PM, Spiral Spell said:

There are many other ponies here who are not ready to see an alicorn yet.

At Spiral's mention of 'alicorn' Aurum was confused, this time she decided to ask everyone present, "You've mentioned that word before... what is an alicorn?"

She was hesitant to simply probe their minds directly as she had with Briar for 'diabetes', which was probably a good thing given her present emotional state, she wasn't of the mind to accidentally cause mental damage right now.

• Brohoof 1

What were an alicorn... Quite the question, and not one that Brittle were going to ask. Frankly, as she heard the voice in her head, she fell back, and started to shiver behind Briar. She did not like to have a voice in her head like this. It felt intrusive, and made her afraid of what were going to happen in there.

The others however, did have their answers, though they varied some, due to them having different points of view on it. One from a fanatic, devoted to one fully. The other as an outsider, who could view it more impartially.

"An Alicorn, is a higher being, among ponies, in essence. Though not immortal, they appear to be ageless, brimming with magic, and represents much of the traits of all three regular equine races. The magic of unicorns, the wings of pegasi, and the impressive physique of earth ponies, albeit mostly they end up tall, rather than bulky, as I understand it."

"Alicorns are incredibly powerful, and as they are the peak of what all kinds of ponies could be, gathered in one, they're also often leaders, unifying the others beneath them. The two who united them under the banner of Equestria - Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna - were also responsible for rising the sun, and the moon.

Equestrians know alicorn only as leaders, and seeing one, would make them worship, and follow them. It's in our nature, and they're tired, after we lost our home. Some are more desperate for this to return, than others. Me... I feel it too, but I am not going to act upon it. It isn't a responsibility her majesty, Princess Luna, would have wanted to be set upon a foal."

"A leaderless people, bereft of home and hope, are bound to seek familiarity. For some, it makes them blind to reason.

What being an alicorn is to you, Aurum, is not as wide ranging now. Don't focus on leadership, or raising star and moon. Those are for others to handle. What it means to you, to be an alicorn, here and now, is just that some will view you differently, because of it. But you are still you, first and foremost. You decide what you wish from your life, and the rest? The power, the ageless future? That are perks, but does not define you.

It also means you can learn to fly, and rest upon clouds. I have been told those are quite comfortable."

Briar did not want to push on her too much, what the meaning of leadership in this might be, and focus too much on her potential responsibilities later on. Even if she did not become a leader, she were still one with a high degree of power now, and the years ahead to have them grow even more. There would be responsibilities, along with being powerful, but that were a worry for the future. Right now, it were best to simply have her focus on some perks, and then try and support her, best she could be, towards having a life that she wished for, and the education to end up better, than her mother had been.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 2

@Blitz Boom @Illiad Easle

Spiral would allow Briar and Last to explain what an alicorn was to Aurum. While she wanted to do that herself - they had gotten to it first, and she saw no reason to stand in their way of providing a just explanation. "Yes, all of that is correct. Good explanation. The drive of Equestrians to worship alicorns and accept them as leaders is a powerful one. It leads some to act irrationally, to the point where it puts the lives of others into danger. Now there are no more alicorns - except you, Aurum. Celestia and Luna lost their lives, and our way of life was completely destroyed by a powerful being of Chaos, known as discord, years ago..." 

• Brohoof 2

Aurum did not seem reassured by their answers. She closed her connection to Brittle when she reacted negatively, but she left the connection open for the others, allowing them to sense her confusion and anxiety as she tried to parse what their answers meant for her.

"I..."

She was conflicted.

"I... don't"

Her anxiety started to flare, a bit of desperation seeping in as she started trying to shake off Briar's hold on her.

"Don't make me..."

There was something deeper there, if any of them pushed back on the connection they'd find Aurum remembering something.

Spoiler

Aurum was being dragged down a hallway, or rather she was being carried in a magic bubble held by three unicorns following another unicorn. The three carrying her looked similar to the three unicorns Last and Spiral had found with the keys where they found Aurum.

Aurum was fighting against them, trying to break free, the unicorn leading the group didn't look back as she said, "Hush daughter. Finally you'll be of use to me, holding all the power, to be worshiped by all, the one true ruler. Why do you spurn me so?"

It sounded like the Empress, Aurum's mother, but there was only contempt in her voice.

"I don't want power! I don't want to be worshiped!"

The Empress sneered back at Aurum, which quieted her for a moment, "Bah, ungrateful wretch. Platinum was never so disrespectful. I should have sent you instead."

They arrived at their destination, the Arcane Nexus, newly constructed, before it was covered in bones. The bubble started to grow more solid as she was lifted into position, the walls becoming sticky as the air was replaced with amber. The last thing she heard her mother say before she was sealed in place, "Do your part, or everyone will die."

Whether they pushed to view the memory or not, she would fall limp, unconscious, at the end, seemingly overwhelmed by the information she had been given, and the experience that she had remembered.

• Brohoof 1

Brittle let out a staggered sigh of relief as she had been disconnected, as it were. She didn't know what others might do, if they were in her head, but it still scared her to think of. What might they not mess with? Or even see? Maybe they'd get to see the time at the circus? How her early memories, were of the cold cage, and then being pushed out into the ring? Night in and night out, endless torment, physical and mentally, to make sure that she would get in that ring, and react, to everything that were done. Every sound, every motion- Every glare of the ringleader, as he reached for his whip, letting her know what would happen... All of it, just to make her change erratically for their freak show. Constant fear-inducing tactics, and abuse, that made her long for the times in the cage., At least there, she were mostly ignored, lest they thought she cried too loudly, or were bored, and figured they'd give her a reminder of who owned her.

Would be much better if they checked Briar. He had far more good years, of travel and discovery, but what about before that? When he had been hatched from the seed, which fell from the tree, and been deemed little more than a freak? His parents distancing themselves from him entirely right away, and him getting tossed into the pit, where another of his own sub-species caught him. The only thing saving him from severe injury down there, were they had to try and care for one another, but in the end, had to look out for themselves first and foremost. What good were in that? The years he spend in the darkness, desperate for any sliver of light and morsel tossed down, hungry and fearful, like the rest of the Snaproots? How he had been thankful and elated, when he were taken out, put in chains, and made a nameless slave?

He might have gotten named later on, but that owner died, leaving him with another, who tried taking that from him. Something that made him lash out - literally, as he struck the lotus priestess to had taken him, sending her tumbling down towards the forest floor, from her lofty canopy - and lead to him getting those metal rings embedded into his legs, and getting exiled. There were so much bad there too...

Still, he had some good things. All of her good memories, involved Briar as it were. Everything else... She didn't even want to remember it, much less share it with others, like this. Who knew what could happen?

While she worried, covering behind Briar, the evergrown frowned, worried as Aurum went through the motions. He did not push her, as he noticed her being uncomfortable. Nor would he veen know how to in the first place, if he had for some reason wanted. He were not used to these sorts of telekinetic connections.

Physically, he'd loosen his grip too, as she began to squirm under his touch. Brittle sometimes acted the same, just before she either violently transformed a dozen times, or ran for cover. The former happening if he did not let go, and the latter if she were allowed to get some distance, which he assumed were the case here with Aurum. They had told her a lot after all, and if she needed to just go to a corner, and think for herself, he could understand it, and would ask the others to please respect that. Though he hardly knew them, he felt somewhat certain that the stoic guard would at least listen to that. She appeared... How should he put it kindly... Intensely duty-minded. If she had set that her duty were to act essentially as a guard to Aurum, she would more than likely show the filly the respect that it took, to give her some space, when she needed it. Least he hoped so.

Spiral he simply assumed would, as she appeared a calm, rational mare, who wanted to connect with Aurum. Someone like that, did not strike him as the sort, who'd disrespect her that much. Yet he had been wrong about others before. He just prayed that that were not the case currently.

Regardless, what he assumed would happen, would not be it, and instead, Aurum would fall unconscious in his grasp. Something which made him feel a little anxious, if he were to be honest. Last too, as she took a step forward, raising an eyebrow.

"Exhaustion, or emergency?"

"Thankfully it seems to be the former, yet still, with how she reacted... I have met those, who shut down as it were, as a form of self defense. It may be that too... While she is stable, and does not seem to be in danger, I think it would be best to have her attended by medical staff, after she have rested, and to give her some time and space to process what she have been made aware of.

In case emergencies does happen though, does any of you have medical training?"

"Military first aid."

"Might come in handy. What of you, Spiral?"

Whilst speaking, unless Spiral - or Aurum, as she might radiate protective magic in her sleep - interfered with it, Briar would gently lift the filly, by twisting his right vine under head, like a spatula, and gently lift her up, transporting her over to a more soft point, a bit more out of view, that she might get some proper rest.

• Brohoof 1

Spiral would sigh and shut her eyes - as if she was feeling pain from that memory she viewed through the telekinetic spell. She'd observe how Aurum would fall unconscious. Evidently completely overwhelmed by her emotions. Spiral would walk forward and watch how Briar would lift her up gently, and put her somewhere she could rest. Spiral would look to Briar and Last as they spoke about what happened. "Terrible memory she showed me. The Empress, her mother wanted to abuse her to hold all the power of those deceased unicorns. She was forced to do that..." Spiral sighed, a look of hate coming across her face for a second as she looked away. Spiral didn't like those who hurt foals.

• Brohoof 1

Aurum would remain unconscious. Given the strength of her emotions prior to falling unconscious it might be a bit before she woke back up.

Spiral would have an opportunity to share some of what she had seen to the other two before there was a soft knock at the door. If they answered it they'd find a feminine changeling with the coloration of Chrysalis's hive dressed in the uniform of a psychiatrist, "Sorry to disturb you, but Consul Wright sent me to see when our guest might be receptive to a psychological evaluation." She would show the proper documents if asked, "I noticed a large spike in fear and anxiety as I was approaching, is everything alright?"

• Brohoof 2

On 2/24/2023 at 9:20 PM, Spiral Spell said:

"Terrible memory she showed me. The Empress, her mother wanted to abuse her to hold all the power of those deceased unicorns. She was forced to do that..." Spiral sighed, a look of hate coming across her face for a second as she looked away. Spiral didn't like those who hurt foals.

"From what she told me, there are more sides to it. She mentioned a sister too, whom she were told vanished. At this stage, I am concerned that either she ran for her life, or Aurum were not the first intended target. In either case, I am thinking less and less of the mother. May she rot in whatever purgatory she have found herself in."

"Dunno what happened to her. All we know, is that there were a lot of noise, and then suddenly, she, and Light, were both gone. Best I can tell, he sacrificed himself, to remove her, somehow. And that's how I'll remember him at least. He deserves as much."

"If he truly removed her, then I would have to agree. A monster who'd do a thing such as this, to their own blood... How can one steep that low?"

Spiral had not answered the inquiry, so Briar had to assume that she had no medical training. So if something went wrong, he'd have to rely on the military grade stuff Last knew. At least that should be enough to do some stabilizing work, he supposed.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:21 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Aurum would remain unconscious. Given the strength of her emotions prior to falling unconscious it might be a bit before she woke back up.

Spiral would have an opportunity to share some of what she had seen to the other two before there was a soft knock at the door. If they answered it they'd find a feminine changeling with the coloration of Chrysalis's hive dressed in the uniform of a psychiatrist, "Sorry to disturb you, but Consul Wright sent me to see when our guest might be receptive to a psychological evaluation." She would show the proper documents if asked, "I noticed a large spike in fear and anxiety as I was approaching, is everything alright?"

Briar and Last, would both turn to the door as it opened, and a changeling approached. Brittle would too, nervous over which sort this were. She had met a few good ones, in recent days, but she still had plenty of memories of some rather bad ones. This one, didn't have the color scheme that she remembered, yet that were hardly evidence of her being a good one. As for Briar, he couldn't see colors, so he too, were unaware of the hive affiliation of this one. The same were the case with Last, as she had lived isolated, and hadn't come around, until years after the original Chrysalis hive were decimated.

That said, Last would still move to stand between the newcomer and Aurum, and would indeed be looking over the paperwork.

"While the concern is appreciated, I am afraid that now is not a good time. Aurum have just confronted some unfortunate history, and I think it best, if she is allowed some time to rest, and stabilize. I'm sorry you had to come so far for naught, but alas, things developed quite rapidly, and less than ideally.

Might I ask whom you are though? At least we might be able to prepare her for your eventual meeting, by providing her some idea of whom she are to meet. I hope that might ease her mind a bit more, when time comes.

I am Briar Trapjaw by the way. A pleasure to meet you, albeit I wish it were under better circumstances."

If she wanted fear and anxiety, she'd still have plenty to find from Brittle, who'd just get more of it, if the changeling tried to get closer to her. As for Aurum, there were a point to where Last wouldn't let her past. Same with Briar. Both of whom were protective of the filly. Especially now, in her state of fear-induced exhaustion, more or less. Besides, it might be dangerous to poke the sleeping bear, as one could put it. If the bear were able to blast your atoms into the stratosphere, that were.

• Brohoof 2

@Illiad Easle @Blitz Boom

Spiral would look to the Changeling who had entered into their room. She stayed rather quiet until Briar and Last would explain things to them. Spiral would trust this Changeling as this was something that was discussed with Consul Write earlier. "Aurum is...emotionally unstable and not ready to deal with the world. She doesn't understand a lot of things and this information appears to send her into a sensory overload. We must take things slowly and carefully with her." Spiral said, and extended a hoof for the Changeling to shake. 

• Brohoof 2

The changeling looked concerned when she was told what had happened, 

On 2023-02-27 at 2:40 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"While the concern is appreciated, I am afraid that now is not a good time. Aurum have just confronted some unfortunate history, and I think it best, if she is allowed some time to rest, and stabilize. I'm sorry you had to come so far for naught, but alas, things developed quite rapidly, and less than ideally.

She shook her head, "On the contrary, I'd say my timing is impeccable, and my expertise is needed now more than ever."

Might I ask whom you are though? At least we might be able to prepare her for your eventual meeting, by providing her some idea of whom she are to meet. I hope that might ease her mind a bit more, when time comes.

I am Briar Trapjaw by the way. A pleasure to meet you, albeit I wish it were under better circumstances."

She blushed slightly at her misstep, while her name was on the paperwork she hadn't introduced herself to the group. "Apologies, I am Dr. Coxa, formerly of Hive Chrysalis. I too wish that our circumstances were more favorable, but I'm content to work with the situations we have."

If she wanted fear and anxiety, she'd still have plenty to find from Brittle, who'd just get more of it, if the changeling tried to get closer to her.

Dr. Coxa wouldn't try to approach Brittle, as her attention was solely on Aurum.

On 2023-02-27 at 3:35 PM, Spiral Spell said:

"Aurum is...emotionally unstable and not ready to deal with the world. She doesn't understand a lot of things and this information appears to send her into a sensory overload. We must take things slowly and carefully with her." Spiral said, and extended a hoof for the Changeling to shake. 

She would shake Spiral's hoof before turning her attention back to the unconscious Aurum. She pulled out a notepad from her supplies to take down some notes. "What exactly did you tell her before she was overwhelmed? Do you think she has an aversion to a particular topic? Or did it seem more like a triggering event? Given what I was able to feel from outside either seems likely."

Regardless of the answer given she would move towards Aurum for a closer examination.

As for Aurum, there were a point to where Last wouldn't let her past. Same with Briar. Both of whom were protective of the filly. Especially now, in her state of fear-induced exhaustion, more or less. Besides, it might be dangerous to poke the sleeping bear, as one could put it. If the bear were able to blast your atoms into the stratosphere, that were.

Dr. Coxa didn't look happy at being impeded, "Her breathing looks rather shallow for a filly of her size, and I worry her heartrate may be similarly slowed. Would you allow me to examine her? If she's slipping into a coma it would be better to know sooner rather than later." 

If she were allowed to examine Aurum she would proceed with the utmost care and caution, noting down what she could observe with her tools. Including examining her eyes with a small light. Once done with the physical examination she noted her findings and turned her attention back to the group. "Her heart rate is low, but not dangerously so, it is more reminiscent of a form of hibernation, but we'd need more observation to be sure. If her respiration or heartrate falls any further though there will be cause for concern." She looked back at Aurum, "I think it's odd though that hibernation would be her response to stress and anxiety..." she shook off her thoughts, "Regardless, looking at her eyes it looks like her blindness is due to surface scarring. Possibly caused by exposure to a corrosive agent. Now, I'm told that she was found encased in some form of amber? That could be the cause of her blindness as well as her hibernation reflex, but that is speculative at this point."

She'd give them an opportunity to respond to her observations before continuing. "Her hibernating does present the possibility of examining her mind directly, but we'd need to bring in a specialist for that."

• Brohoof 1

34 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

She blushed slightly at her misstep, while her name was on the paperwork she hadn't introduced herself to the group. "Apologies, I am Dr. Coxa, formerly of Hive Chrysalis. I too wish that our circumstances were more favorable, but I'm content to work with the situations we have."

"An... Unfortunate association. But we cannot chose to whom we are born. If you think it best to get to her now, then please, go to her. She feels stable to me, yet... *sigh* I cannot in good faith, risk her health. Just please be gentle."

Brittle had a bit of another reaction to hearing the association. Namely, she ran off, and his in a corner, whilst her tail would wave behind her, having switched to a three meter long, fluffy white tail of some sort, that were rustling a lot of hair off as she moved, leaving a trail to follow. She'd use the tail when she got far enough away, to hide herself behind. Not the most effectively, but she couldn't control this transformation, and thus, just tried to make use of things. At least she had kept her legs this time, so she could run off. Wasn't always she were that lucky.

3 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Dr. Coxa didn't look happy at being impeded, "Her breathing looks rather shallow for a filly of her size, and I worry her heartrate may be similarly slowed. Would you allow me to examine her? If she's slipping into a coma it would be better to know sooner rather than later." 

"Force of habit."

Last moved aside, letting the changeling through. She had been set to guard the filly, so of course, she had put herself in the way, when someone approached. That were more or less second nature to her, in a situation like that. But if said filly need potential medical attention too, it were best to let her through, for now. Though if she tried to hurt Aurum, the changeling with find the anti-magic sword down her side, to be stuck through her carapace, where her heart would be. The antimagic would likely kill her, but they'd see. It should hopefully not come to that. She did not want Aurum to potentially wake up, and see that.

3 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

If she were allowed to examine Aurum she would proceed with the utmost care and caution, noting down what she could observe with her tools. Including examining her eyes with a small light. Once done with the physical examination she noted her findings and turned her attention back to the group. "Her heart rate is low, but not dangerously so, it is more reminiscent of a form of hibernation, but we'd need more observation to be sure. If her respiration or heartrate falls any further though there will be cause for concern." She looked back at Aurum, "I think it's odd though that hibernation would be her response to stress and anxiety..." she shook off her thoughts, "Regardless, looking at her eyes it looks like her blindness is due to surface scarring. Possibly caused by exposure to a corrosive agent. Now, I'm told that she was found encased in some form of amber? That could be the cause of her blindness as well as her hibernation reflex, but that is speculative at this point."

She'd give them an opportunity to respond to her observations before continuing. "Her hibernating does present the possibility of examining her mind directly, but we'd need to bring in a specialist for that."

"I've been far and wide, and met a few who shut down in the same manner. I cannot explain why, but for some, it just seems like when the body overloads, it reacts in a primal way, that doesn't seem all that defensive, or beneficial. Hopefully this is a passing thing though, and she might merely have too much on her plate at once now. Some calm and stability, will do her good.

Regardless, I will keep note of this, and keep a close ear on her heart rate. Thank you for informing us of this."

It wasn't too hard really. His hearing being what it were, and his predatory aspects, did mean that close enough, he could hear the heart beat, and blood rush through the pony. Mostly he didn't think much of it though. Kept that sort of thing as background noise mostly, and barring things going haywire, it hardly mattered either. Just a regular, rhythmic sound, like traffic, or bees buzzing. The sort of sounds you just got used to tuning out most of the time, if you were around it enough.

Here though, he'd need to actively listen in a bit better. Especially if Aurum seemed fatigued at any point. Something which were good to know, as it gave him something to look out for, and react to, if need be.

"Regarding her hibernating state, and examining her mind... I would hope we can ask her for permission first, rather than invade the privacy of her mind. She should be given the same level of respect and thought as others, lest things become more of an emergency, and there is little in the way of choice. I cannot evaluate that myself, and thus, will rely on your expertise, and that of the specialist you might be thinking of. Just please, approach her with care. She is but a filly.

I do have a question about another thing though... You mention there are surface scarring on her eyes? I am woefully unaware of the magical, technological, and medicinal prowess there is present here, on The Æther, yet I feel as if I must ask: Is there hope to restore her sight, in some way? I am not implying it should be done out of nowhere, nor that it will be easy, nor fast, if it were possible. But with all the harshness she have experienced... *sigh* I would like to present her with some hope, for a better future."

She could live with being blind. He knew that personally, and she felt around her well with her magic, as he understood it. Yet still, if there were a chance, he felt as if he should ask.

He hadn't hope for himself. His physiology were different, and he did not have eyes in the first place. His only hope had been magical, and he had come to terms with the fact, that he'd likely never gain vision, much as he would have loved that. But Aurum's eyes were there. Damaged yes, but many things that were damaged, could be repaired. potentially replaced. Perhaps for her, there were hope, yes?

• Brohoof 1

Spiral would look to Dr. Coxa as she was asked about the possibility of a triggering event. "Aurum remembered the events leading up to her encasement. Aurum did not want to be worshipped, nor did she want to be admired - but her mother abused her, to put it lightly." Spiral would say in a saddened tone, looking down at the floor. She would look towards Dr. Coxa with hope though - "I hope the technology exists aboard so that her sight could be restored." she would say in a hopeful manner. That would go a long way in getting Aurum acclimated to life aboard the project. As for the rest of what was being spoke of, Spiral would not comment on it. "If you wish to see what Aurum had showed me in her memory, I can show you, with my memory. I have the ability to show things in other's minds. It's not particularly pleasant though.." Spiral would say to Dr.Coxa.

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-03-02 at 4:15 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"An... Unfortunate association. But we cannot chose to whom we are born.

Dr. Coxa shrugged, "As prideful as she was, she did care about us. She only attacked Canterlot out of desperation while we were starving. Still, let us not speak ill of the dead."

he feels stable to me, yet... *sigh* I cannot in good faith, risk her health. Just please be gentle."

She nodded, "Always."

She should be given the same level of respect and thought as others, lest things become more of an emergency, and there is little in the way of choice. I cannot evaluate that myself, and thus, will rely on your expertise, and that of the specialist you might be thinking of. Just please, approach her with care. She is but a filly.

She nodded, "Of course, our memory crawlers are professionals in every sense. Were it possible to secure her permission we would, but that depends on her mental state. It is not uncommon that coma patients have to be sought out in their subconscious in order to bring them back. Hopefully though it doesn't come to that. I'll come back tomorrow, and if nothing's changed we'll bring in the crawler and see what we can do. Of course, if her heartrate or breathing slows any further, don't hesitate to summon me. The guards outside know how to contact me."

I do have a question about another thing though... You mention there are surface scarring on her eyes? I am woefully unaware of the magical, technological, and medicinal prowess there is present here, on The Æther, yet I feel as if I must ask: Is there hope to restore her sight, in some way? I am not implying it should be done out of nowhere, nor that it will be easy, nor fast, if it were possible. But with all the harshness she have experienced... *sigh* I would like to present her with some hope, for a better future."

She was thoughtful for a bit, "It certainly depends. There have been cases of blindness cured here on the Project, but I'm hardly qualified to say whether her particular case can be reversed. But I will have a professional look into it once she's well enough to be properly examined. Best if you didn't get her hopes up though, just in case."

On 2023-03-03 at 5:53 PM, Spiral Spell said:

"Aurum remembered the events leading up to her encasement. Aurum did not want to be worshipped, nor did she want to be admired - but her mother abused her, to put it lightly."

She nodded at that, "I'd recommend not bringing that up in the future then. At least not until she's had some time to process her trauma."

On 2023-03-03 at 5:53 PM, Spiral Spell said:

"If you wish to see what Aurum had showed me in her memory, I can show you, with my memory. I have the ability to show things in other's minds. It's not particularly pleasant though.." Spiral would say to Dr.Coxa.

She was a bit more hesitant at that, "I think that would be useful. Go ahead."

She shuddered as the memory ended, "I see... we'll likely need to distance her from appearances of authority, as well as ensuring that she doesn't feel forced to do things."

That said she packed her tools back up and moved to leave. "I'll be back tomorrow, but again. don't hesitate to call for me if something changes for the worse."

Aurum would remain unconscious, but stable, for another hour or so after Dr. Coxa left. At which point she would stir back to wakefulness. However, there was something different about her. She didn't say anything as she got up, and simply sat up where she was, unmoving. Those still present in the room would be able to faintly hear words in their minds, the same series of words that Sprial and Last had heard when they first approached the Nexus:

On 2022-09-20 at 11:50 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Slipping through the cracks of a dark eternity With nothing but my pain and the paralyzing agony To tell me who I am. Who I was, Uncertainty enveloping my mind Till I can't break free and
Maybe it's a dream, maybe nothing else is real But it wouldn't mean a thing if I told you how I feel So I'm tired of all the pain, all the misery inside And I wish I could live feeling nothing but the night
You could tell me what to say, you could tell me where to go But I doubt that I would care and my heart would never know If I make another move, there'll be no more turning back Because everything would change and it all would fade to black

Will tomorrow ever come? Will I make it through the night? Will there ever be a place for the broken in the light? Am I hurting am I sad? Should I stay or should I go? I've forgotten how to tell, did I ever even know? I'm
Slipping through the cracks of a dark eternity With nothing but my pain and the paralyzing agony To tell me who I am. Who I was, Uncertainty enveloping my mind Till I can't break free and

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-03-06 at 2:03 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Dr. Coxa shrugged, "As prideful as she was, she did care about us. She only attacked Canterlot out of desperation while we were starving. Still, let us not speak ill of the dead."

"If that is your wish, I won't. Though perhaps one day, you can tell me of things from the side of the hive itself. I admit to not having heard that side."

Briar were open to learning about others, from multiple perspectives. What one side saw as a pariah, might well be a savior to others, and he believed that it were important to know the full context, to truly judge someone. Most of the time. Sometimes, one could look at one like Aurum's mother, and there it were just... Regardless of motive, there were nothing that would make her actions redeemable, in any way. Chrysalis might, if she were indeed acting in desperation, to get her hive fed. He heard of what could happen to a changeling, if they starved too much, and it frankly wasn't something, that he would wish upon his worst enemy.

She nodded, "Of course, our memory crawlers are professionals in every sense. Were it possible to secure her permission we would, but that depends on her mental state. It is not uncommon that coma patients have to be sought out in their subconscious in order to bring them back. Hopefully though it doesn't come to that. I'll come back tomorrow, and if nothing's changed we'll bring in the crawler and see what we can do. Of course, if her heartrate or breathing slows any further, don't hesitate to summon me. The guards outside know how to contact me."

"You have my word that if anything worsens, I will make immediate contact. I may not have known her for long, but Aurum have put her trust in me, and I won't betray that, by neglecting her wellbeing."

Was anyone's guess what the doctor might think of that, but Last almost felt like smiling vaguely, as she heard that. Might be he were more words than action, but at least so far, the evergrown seemed to be the sort of influence, and caretaker, that Aurum needed, from her point of view. The alicorn would need a lot more, but someone she could trust in, and that had her best in mind? It'd be a solid start.

She was thoughtful for a bit, "It certainly depends. There have been cases of blindness cured here on the Project, but I'm hardly qualified to say whether her particular case can be reversed. But I will have a professional look into it once she's well enough to be properly examined. Best if you didn't get her hopes up though, just in case."

"I will not, and thank you, for looking into it. I will pray to the Earth Mother, that your inquiries will bear fruitful answers."

He'd respectfully bow his head towards the changeling. That there had been blindness cured before, gave him hope, but she were right. It were hard to say, how Aurum's situation might be, before some in the know, had examined her properly. It were best to be cautiously optimistic, and pray for success. As well as not tell Aurum about this. He did not want her heart to be broken again, by presenting her with false hope.

That said she packed her tools back up and moved to leave. "I'll be back tomorrow, but again. don't hesitate to call for me if something changes for the worse."

Aurum would remain unconscious, but stable, for another hour or so after Dr. Coxa left. At which point she would stir back to wakefulness. However, there was something different about her. She didn't say anything as she got up, and simply sat up where she was, unmoving. Those still present in the room would be able to faintly hear words in their minds, the same series of words that Sprial and Last had heard when they first approached the Nexus:

Briar said his farewells to the changeling as she left, and post her leaving, Brittle would eventually come sneaking back over to him, as he sat and hummed a soothing song that he knew, for the resting Aurum.

Neither of them would do a lot as they waited, whilst Last would patrol around the area, seeing if she could spot any obvious weaknesses, or potential breaches. Might as well be productive, while she waited for something to happen.

Eventually, as Autum awoke, Briar would at first be joyous, to see her returned to consciousness, but something were amiss. She did not connect with him, as she had before, and her demeanor, and way of acting, made her seem... Distant? As if she were there, but not truly there.

Words did come though, eventually, but it didn't make sense to him. He'd try and talk back to her, trying to ask if she were concerned, with his inside voice concerned. Last however... Had a bit of another reaction, as she heard those things. Words she didn't get either, but this hadn't been the first time, that she had heard them, and she wandered over to Spiral, looking questioningly at the mare.

"Sounds familiar to you too? Got any idea what it's about?"

• Brohoof 2

Spiral was silent on the talk about Chrysalis. She wasn't technically alive when all of that happened - nor did she experience modern day Equestria at all. From what she gathered of it, it seemed fairly utoptian and life was peaceful. In a way it was something to be envied - yet the laziness and complacency of the ponies showed that modern Equestria had lived in an erroneous false reality coloured by their easy life. Spiral didn't have much else to say, and simply nodded to Coxa and thanked her for her time.

Upon hearing Aurum's word's, Spiral's ears would perk up despite it being a mental affect - "Coping mechanism, most likely. She is repeating what she said earlier...as if in a catatonic state. Like a turtle going back into it's shell." Spiral would say to Last, quietly. 

• Brohoof 2

Aurum shifted when Briar tried to reach out to her mentally, as well as when the other two talked around her.

She opened her eyes, and upon seeing that she could not (see that is), her eyes started to glow with her magic. She moved her lips to speak, and they could faintly hear her voice, but they heard her clearly in their minds. "I... I didn't anticipate that we would make it out. After sitting there, trapped for so long... you two weren't the first to try and free me."

She looked around, "Or... are we free? This does bear a resemblance to some prison cells I've seen."

She turned to look at Briar and Brittle, looking them over before bowing politely, "Sorry, I don't think we've met, I am Nexus."

• Brohoof 2

On 2023-03-11 at 3:41 AM, Spiral Spell said:

Upon hearing Aurum's word's, Spiral's ears would perk up despite it being a mental affect - "Coping mechanism, most likely. She is repeating what she said earlier...as if in a catatonic state. Like a turtle going back into it's shell." Spiral would say to Last, quietly. 

"So some sort of shell shock? Not something a foal should go through. It ain't right."

Made sense though sadly. With everything that happened including her mother, she had to have been aware on some level at least, about what were happening. Might even remember some, and tried to repress it. Made sense enough why her mental state would be a bit fragile at times then, but still, it weren't right that she had to go through that. She were just a filly. And she hadn't even been in a warzone, like Last had. There were no reason that she should end up like this.

Whatever corner of Tartarus her mother were in now, it were still less than what she deserved.

"Let's hope it doesn't last for too long."

She'd speak in a low tone back to Spiral. Mostly for the sake of Aurum, as judging by the ears moved on that plant pony, he were likely hearing them perfectly fine.

23 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

She looked around, "Or... are we free? This does bear a resemblance to some prison cells I've seen."

She turned to look at Briar and Brittle, looking them over before bowing politely, "Sorry, I don't think we've met, I am Nexus."

Briar were initially thankful, as he saw her open her eyes, and speak once again. In his mind perhaps, but still, it were her way of communicating right now. In time, she would likely be able to do regular talk, but that would require her to undergo some language classes first. A fine beginning on her future education.

Thoughts of this however, as well as other things, wandered from his mind, as he saw how Aurum acted, and a worried expression spread on his face.

"Aurum? Are you okay? You... Do not remember us?"

Now he were definitely worried. Did she have short term amnesia? General memory problems? And what were with that name? Nexus? He hadn't heard that before. Not in the context of a name at least.

However, others had, which were the point where Last would step in and talk.

"Back down there, the kitsune said her name was Nexus. She didn't react well to that when we got her back up here though."

She would try and communicate with her mind too, in case she too were connected, though if it seemed like Aurum - or Nexus as she now called herself - were reacting on her words, she would just speak plainly instead. She weren't sure how this magic talk worked, but she assumed just focus on the filly, then think the words, yeah?

"Nexus? What is the last thing you can remember?"

She'd try, but with her luck, she'd end up being called a dirt pony again, and blasted across the room. Seemed to be a bit of a theme recently.

• Brohoof 1

Spiral would approach Nexus quietly, looking down at her curiously. She wasn't sure what to make of this - nor was she sure why Aurum was calling herself Nexus. "We freed you - though, one of us died trying to save you." Spiral would say to her, walking up to her carefully. "Are you okay? We are here to help." she spoke, looking off to the others. She would communicate with Briar and Last mentally, "It seems like she has a split personality if I had any guesses..."

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-03-16 at 3:24 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Aurum? Are you okay? You... Do not remember us?"

Aurum, or Nexus, Tilted her head when Briar called her by that name, a bit of a confused and sad expression on her face. "I'm sorry, I don't recognize that name, and if we have met before I apologize again, you certainly seem like interesting creatures, hopefully we can become reacquainted?"

"Back down there, the kitsune said her name was Nexus. She didn't react well to that when we got her back up here though."

She looked a bit happier but still confused when Last started speaking, "That's right, I remember you mentioned that before, the the Kitsune sent you to save me, though I'm surprised she would react poorly when you left with me. I thought she wanted me to get away from where I was? Although... this place does feel a lot like something an earth pony would make..." She shrugged as she looked over at Spiral, "But you wouldn't be here if it were something like that."

"Nexus? What is the last thing you can remember?"

Before she answered, she seemed to pick up on Last's concerns about being degraded and attacked, "You don't need to worry, it's not in my interests to hurt anyone, especially not someone who risked their life to save me. Speaking of, I think that's the last thing I remember before waking up here: You, Spiral over there, and a creature I'd never seen before, working to free me from the Arcane Nexus. My memory ends when you stabbed the amber with that strange sword of yours, and severed my connection."

23 hours ago, Spiral Spell said:

"Are you okay? We are here to help."

She thought for a moment, but nodded, "I appear to be healthy, and unharmed, despite my time in the amber. It seems to have preserved me quite well over the years, though the process seems to have had unanticipated side-effects." She motioned towards her wings, "I've also noticed that many of my magic nodes have been greatly strengthened. Perhaps a lingering effect of all the souls used to power the Arcane Nexus."

She did not seem at all perturbed by her account of her history. Whether she didn't care, or simply didn't grasp the severity of the situation, was unclear. One thing was for certain, Nexus was far more in control of herself and her powers than Aurum was.

23 hours ago, Spiral Spell said:

"It seems like she has a split personality if I had any guesses..."

Nexus frowned at that, "Oh, I guess that isn't surprising. That is sad though, that there is a potential friend inside of me that I can't meet. But I'm happy though, that she did not get absorbed like the others."

She shrugged again, "Well, best to make of it what we can while we can, right?"

She sat down, a small smile on her face, as she watched the others to see how they would react.

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-03-19 at 5:39 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Aurum, or Nexus, Tilted her head when Briar called her by that name, a bit of a confused and sad expression on her face. "I'm sorry, I don't recognize that name, and if we have met before I apologize again, you certainly seem like interesting creatures, hopefully we can become reacquainted?"

"I... I see. Hopefully we will be reacquainted soon then. I am Briar Trapjaw, and this over here is my ward, Brittle Buzz."

Briar were worried now, as this seemed rather bad, yet... Hmm... He had thoughts on this, and the reason behind, which were not so much psychological, but more spiritual. He needed a few minutes to gather his thoughts though, and approach this cautiously, patiently, and rationally.

She looked a bit happier but still confused when Last started speaking, "That's right, I remember you mentioned that before, the the Kitsune sent you to save me, though I'm surprised she would react poorly when you left with me. I thought she wanted me to get away from where I was? Although... this place does feel a lot like something an earth pony would make..." She shrugged as she looked over at Spiral, "But you wouldn't be here if it were something like that."

"The kitsune didn't react badly. She asked us specifically to get you, then bring you back. But when you woke up, you said your name were Aurum. Didn't seem like you liked when we called you Nexus. Or non-unicorns. Beyond the plant over there, they all seemed to get tossed away.

Can't speak to who made this place. Never cared to learn it myself, but there's creatures of all sorts. Magical and not."

It appeared that while Aurum were timid, this side of her - that being Nexus - were more grounded, and thus, Last would speak more directly and openly to her, as well as share a few details, and see if perhaps that would rattle some memories.

Before she answered, she seemed to pick up on Last's concerns about being degraded and attacked, "You don't need to worry, it's not in my interests to hurt anyone, especially not someone who risked their life to save me. Speaking of, I think that's the last thing I remember before waking up here: You, Spiral over there, and a creature I'd never seen before, working to free me from the Arcane Nexus. My memory ends when you stabbed the amber with that strange sword of yours, and severed my connection."

"His name was Light, and one of his last acts, before sacrificing himself for the greater good, was enchanting this sword. It's coated with anti-magic, which got through your prison."

She didn't bear mention to the part about her being worried. Which she weren't really. She were bracing for it. The events recently, hadn't been the first day she had been tossed around like a ragdoll, and it wouldn't be the last either. She could take it, and she wouldn't hold a grudge against Nexus if it happened. She were just a foal after all, and would probably not act maliciously. Sides, she were an alicorn. It were hard for someone like Last, to carry a grudge against one of them.

Nexus frowned at that, "Oh, I guess that isn't surprising. That is sad though, that there is a potential friend inside of me that I can't meet. But I'm happy though, that she did not get absorbed like the others."

She sat down, a small smile on her face, as she watched the others to see how they would react.

"Perhaps it would be wise if we had a specialist look you over, just in case?"

"I'd argue we got a medium. Call me superstitious, but I ain't sure it's more personalities. With the nexus being what it were, I'm more concerned it's multiple souls."

"...I will admit to briefly think that, though it seems unlikely. That sort of thing would surely be rare, yes?"

"Probably. I ain't an egg head, I'm soldier. Still saying we should try and get her looked at by folks with an open mind.

When you feel like it that is, Nexus. If you feel fine, I won't let you be forced to do something like that, against your will."

Far from home, and her princess dead, it didn't matter in the end. Last were a soldier for an alicorn, and she'd act that way too. She'd keep perspective though, and watch herself, as to not fall into the trap of worshipping Nexus again. It had been an embarrassment to her ancestors when she had done it the first time. She shouldn't shame them further, by repeating that mistake.

• Brohoof 1

She thought for a moment, but nodded, "I appear to be healthy, and unharmed, despite my time in the amber. It seems to have preserved me quite well over the years, though the process seems to have had unanticipated side-effects." She motioned towards her wings, "I've also noticed that many of my magic nodes have been greatly strengthened. Perhaps a lingering effect of all the souls used to power the Arcane Nexus."

She did not seem at all perturbed by her account of her history. Whether she didn't care, or simply didn't grasp the severity of the situation, was unclear. One thing was for certain, Nexus was far more in control of herself and her powers than Aurum was.

"Could very well be. I would say that you could even have another soul inside of you, like Last said. You said you were Aurum after all, and you don't seem to remember anything that happened after we freed you. A lot happened. To sum it up, there was a lot of infighting aboard this vessel. The former leader was more interested in his own personal power rather than the good of those aboard, and we had to remove him from power...forcefully. There was another group lead by a traitor changeling named Red who shapeshifted into an Alicorn and lead another uprising, we had to deal with her as well..." she spoke.

"You see, Nexus, Aurum, or whatever your name is - Equestrians, Earth Ponies, Pegasi, and Unicorns were ruled by Alicorns for many millenia, and the desire to worship them comes first and foremost. Our entire society has been lost and destroyed by war, the former alicorn leaders being killed in that war. I was never there to witness any of it, only the aftermath. I was...brought back to life by someone a while back, and inhabited her body for a considerable amount of time until I was able to find this one." Spiral said to Nexus.

"For your safety, we have to keep you a secret from the populace for now. The populace aboard this construct are still reeling from the infighting we had to deal with a week ago. For your information, this construct is for all intensive purposes, a city-sized airship. I'm not sure how it works, exactly, but it was built by Trojan scientists if I remember correctly." Spiral stated.

"More or less that is more evidence for my suspicions that her soul or consciousness is contained inside of you. I don't know for sure, though. We'll make the best of our situation, try to, and perservere through it, just like we have for the years that we've been aboard this vessel." Spiral said, calmly. She gave a small smile back.

• Brohoof 1