• Season 2
    • Season 3
    • Season 4
    • Season 5
    • Season 6
    • Season 7
    • Season 8
    • Season 9

Season 4 in my opinion. It felt stale and kind of pandery to bronies, with the loss in quality leading directly to the first half of season 5. I was not impressed with the Tirek battle or the formulaic nature of each main character receiving their key to open the treasure box.

I feel like later seasons were better at appealing to both adult and child fans, keeping things entertaining and lore heavy for older people whilst not talking down to children. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't watched every season but maybe Season 3? It's got less episodes than other ones bit some of them were really good. The one where Trixie returns is one of my favorites :D

• 6 months later...

In retrospect, yeah I'll have to say Season 9. I feel like the show had run it's course by then, which is something I was feeling during S8, but it felt a lot worse in S9. A lot of episodes were either mediocre, or just confusingly bad with story decisions that I don't get. Of course, there were a bunch of good episodes like Sparkle's Seven, Frenemies and Growing Up is Hard to Do, but for me, I felt like there were more meh episodes than good ones.

• Brohoof 2

Season 9 is easily the worst one. From the princesses' abrupt and out-of-character retirement, to the incredibly stupid "twist" that ruined the finale, to the weird "epilogue" that did nothing but alienate much of the fandom, the show runners managed to completely screw everything up on their way out. Season 8 would be a close second.

• Brohoof 3

For me i felt like season 6 was the worse, i haven't watched season 9 yet so maybe my feelings will change but i felt like it was not particularly strong.

• Brohoof 1

Season 6 is the worst season to me, for many reasons.

-It has too many irrelevant episodes.
-The episodes that were supposed to be funny were either too forced or unfunny, mainly based on stretching a joke too much.
-It has too many moments where Pinkie Pie didn't stop screaming like it was the apocalypse.
-It has too much fan appeasement for the sake of appeasement, like the return of Trixie in season 6.
-Speaking of that, Trixie acted as if she didn't learn anything in season 3.
-Most episodes were written as an excuse for a main character to have a feature that you wouldn't associate it to her.
-The addition of Starlight doesn't add that much to the show.
-She became a hypocrite. Her attitude isn't admirable.
-The Starlight writers upstaged her above the main characters of the show without earning it. Just because she apologized once doesn't stop her from manipulating or tricking everyone.
-After 4 years of waiting, the redesign of the changelings is insulting.
-Every little thing she does.

As a whole, season 6 has some of the most absurd, incoherent and self destructive creative decisions I've ever seen in any TV show. And nobody bats an eye.

• Brohoof 2

15 hours ago, lyrabetes3939 said:

Season 9 is easily the worst one.

I agree.

99.9% of Season 9 of Friendship is Magic is totally forgettable to me and I only really liked Going to Seed out of all of the episodes. 

15 hours ago, lyrabetes3939 said:

the weird "epilogue" that did nothing but alienate much of the fandom

I don't consider The Last Problem canon because it feels like a fan story to me. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I don't consider The Last Problem canon because it feels like a fan story to me.

Same. In fact, I don't consider anything from S8 or S9 canon other than "Sounds of Silence." The Kirin episode was the one gem in an otherwise awful pair of seasons.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, lyrabetes3939 said:

Same. In fact, I don't consider anything from S8 or S9 canon other than "Sounds of Silence." The Kirin episode was the one gem in an otherwise awful pair of seasons.

I haven't watched MLP in a long time but I can say that I definitely agree with that.

• Brohoof 2

To me it's really funny that, of all the things that people could be complaining about in Friendship is Magic, the one that takes the absolute top tier of contention for everyone, is the season 9.

Season 9 is one of the weakest seasons in the show, but it could have been worse, it could have been A LOT worse.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess season 8 is my least favorite for introducing 5 characters I don't care for (yes, I mean only 5, I liked one of them), season 7 is prob my second least fav because there were a few episodes that I didn't care for (although it improved a lot after the 8th episode), and third least favorite is probably season 1 because while I did like a lot of the episodes in there it mostly had simple storylines. I don't hate any of these seasons tho, I love them all.