Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My thoughts on the movie. And some questions.

DPBOX

The movie just felt weird. It was so much different than the My Little Pony I'm used to. The art style and just in general style feels more realistic and mature.

It's kind of how I envisioned a My Little Pony movie would be like, just a pony trying to spread friendship with lots of songs and not much action and drama. Well, there was some action, but the movie just seemed incredibly bare bones, featuring JUST the ponies. Even the first season of Friendship is Magic featured other creatures such as dragons and griffons.

Apparently, it takes place in the same world as Friendship is magic, but far, FAR into the future to the point where Twilight Sparkle's adventures and rule is an old fairy tale. Considering that events 1,000 years prior in Friendship is Magic are well remembered, I would think that this movie probably takes place 10,000 years after Friendship is Magic.

Also, apparently, friendship between the pony races has been lost, and the loss of friendship also caused the loss of Unicorns and Pegasi's magic and ability to fly, to the point where electricity, technology, and steam power were created and invented because they couldn't use magic anymore. It kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy 6.

I have an idea on why friendship might have been lost and the pony races divided again. There's this game on 3DS called StreetPass Mii Plaza. In it is a game called Warrior's Way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecYZ6GNrBU In it, you're supposed to conquer the world. Actually, it's more like a continent. There are 20 countries on that continent, and, after you conquer them all, after a long time, your country just ... falls apart and gets divided again, and you have to re-conquer the world again. The game states that your new country falls apart because nothing lasts forever, and, by a cruel twist of fate, your entire country falls into chaos, and I want to believe that that's what happened to Twilight's Equestria. Twilight Sparkle may have created a near utopia, but nothing is sustainable forever. Times, tastes, and trends change, and there will always be naysayers who dislike Twilight's rule, and there will always be problems in the world. The Roman Empire was the global superpower, and it lasted for only 200 years or so. The Holy Roman Empire was eventually conquered. NOTHING lasts forever, including Twilight Sparkle's near utopia of friendship. No matter how powerful Twilight gets or how immortal she is, she WILL eventually fall. Do you understand what I am saying and do you agree with me?

I mean, due to how DIFFERENT this entire movie is, it just seemed so bizarre seeing references to Friendship is Magic in there. I mean, what happened to Earth Ponies growing food and ponies controlling the weather and raising and lowering the sun and moon? What happened to the Timberwolves, Cockatrices, Manticores, and all of those other creatures? What happened to the villains like Discord, King Sombra, Chrysalis, Tirek, Cozy Glow, etc.? And who or what controls chaos now? What happened to the fantasy elements in general? Everything just looks so human-like with technology and electricity and phones and TVs. Even the houses look more like the houses in real life and not like the uniquely-styled houses in Ponyville.

Is this G5 world REALLY the same world as Friendship is Magic's world? If so, then how can it even FUNCTION with no one controlling the weather and raising and lowering the sun and moon and controlling chaos? If the movie doesn't take place in Friendship is Magic's world, then all of that Friendship is Magic lore can be thrown out, but, if the movie does take place in Friendship is Magic's world, then the fundamental parts that allow Friendship is Magic's world to function and all of its lore have to be integrated somehow, right?

I must say, I do really love the golden, glowing, and translucent wings and horn that Sunny gets, and I love that they're permanent. It makes Sunny seem extra, EXTRA special. I wish Twilight got glowing and translucent wings and a glowing and translucent horn.

• Brohoof 1

There’s a lot of world building questions that I think they leave unanswered intentionally—the series needs something to go on!  What I was really wondering about what exactly divided about ponies in the first place; the implication is that Argyle himself didn’t know.

But those are critical questions:  the sun and moon should have stopped moving by G-4’s logic.  Same with the weather.

Hopefully the series will start to answer these questions!

I believe what divided the ponies is what I said above, which is just natural causes.

There's this game on 3DS called StreetPass Mii Plaza. In it is a game called Warrior's Way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecYZ6GNrBU In it, you're supposed to conquer the world. Actually, it's more like a continent. There are 20 countries on that continent, and, after you conquer them all, after a long time, your country just ... falls apart and gets divided again, and you have to re-conquer the world again. The game states that your new country falls apart because nothing lasts forever, and, by a cruel twist of fate, your entire country falls into chaos, and I want to believe that that's what happened to Twilight's Equestria. Twilight Sparkle may have created a near utopia, but nothing is sustainable forever. Times, tastes, and trends change, and there will always be naysayers who dislike Twilight's rule, and there will always be problems in the world. The Roman Empire was the global superpower, and it lasted for only 200 years or so. The Holy Roman Empire was eventually conquered. NOTHING lasts forever, including Twilight Sparkle's near utopia of friendship. No matter how powerful Twilight gets or how immortal she is, she WILL eventually fall.

And who's Argyle?

8 hours ago, DPBOX said:

The movie just felt weird. It was so much different than the My Little Pony I'm used to. The art style and just in general style feels more realistic and mature.

It's kind of how I envisioned a My Little Pony movie would be like, just a pony trying to spread friendship with lots of songs and not much action and drama. Well, there was some action, but the movie just seemed incredibly bare bones, featuring JUST the ponies. Even the first season of Friendship is Magic featured other creatures such as dragons and griffons.

Apparently, it takes place in the same world as Friendship is magic, but far, FAR into the future to the point where Twilight Sparkle's adventures and rule is an old fairy tale. Considering that events 1,000 years prior in Friendship is Magic are well remembered, I would think that this movie probably takes place 10,000 years after Friendship is Magic.

Also, apparently, friendship between the pony races has been lost, and the loss of friendship also caused the loss of Unicorns and Pegasi's magic and ability to fly, to the point where electricity, technology, and steam power were created and invented because they couldn't use magic anymore. It kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy 6.

I have an idea on why friendship might have been lost and the pony races divided again. There's this game on 3DS called StreetPass Mii Plaza. In it is a game called Warrior's Way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecYZ6GNrBU In it, you're supposed to conquer the world. Actually, it's more like a continent. There are 20 countries on that continent, and, after you conquer them all, after a long time, your country just ... falls apart and gets divided again, and you have to re-conquer the world again. The game states that your new country falls apart because nothing lasts forever, and, by a cruel twist of fate, your entire country falls into chaos, and I want to believe that that's what happened to Twilight's Equestria. Twilight Sparkle may have created a near utopia, but nothing is sustainable forever. Times, tastes, and trends change, and there will always be naysayers who dislike Twilight's rule, and there will always be problems in the world. The Roman Empire was the global superpower, and it lasted for only 200 years or so. The Holy Roman Empire was eventually conquered. NOTHING lasts forever, including Twilight Sparkle's near utopia of friendship. No matter how powerful Twilight gets or how immortal she is, she WILL eventually fall. Do you understand what I am saying and do you agree with me?

I mean, due to how DIFFERENT this entire movie is, it just seemed so bizarre seeing references to Friendship is Magic in there. I mean, what happened to Earth Ponies growing food and ponies controlling the weather and raising and lowering the sun and moon? What happened to the Timberwolves, Cockatrices, Manticores, and all of those other creatures? What happened to the villains like Discord, King Sombra, Chrysalis, Tirek, Cozy Glow, etc.? And who or what controls chaos now? What happened to the fantasy elements in general? Everything just looks so human-like with technology and electricity and phones and TVs. Even the houses look more like the houses in real life and not like the uniquely-styled houses in Ponyville.

Is this G5 world REALLY the same world as Friendship is Magic's world? If so, then how can it even FUNCTION with no one controlling the weather and raising and lowering the sun and moon and controlling chaos? If the movie doesn't take place in Friendship is Magic's world, then all of that Friendship is Magic lore can be thrown out, but, if the movie does take place in Friendship is Magic's world, then the fundamental parts that allow Friendship is Magic's world to function and all of its lore have to be integrated somehow, right?

I must say, I do really love the golden, glowing, and translucent wings and horn that Sunny gets, and I love that they're permanent. It makes Sunny seem extra, EXTRA special. I wish Twilight got glowing and translucent wings and a glowing and translucent horn.

Raising and lowering the Sun and Moon needing magic was always a lie that was disproven basically every time magic disappeared in FiM, and most clearly in School Raze.

Edited by FearTheBelle

Well, I was discussing the movie with my mom, and I came to realize something. One reason why I didn't like the movie is because I believe that any work that features talking animals should have more fantasy elements and should be more creative in general than works featuring humans, so seeing ponies in a human-like world using technology such as freaking SMART PHONES and TVs just seemed really, REALLY weird and jarring. The ponies also seem to be distinctly acting more like humans and doing human-like things than ponies. And there were almost no fantasy elements. It almost seems like a work that features humans in pony costumes instead of actual ponies. Do you guys understand what I'm saying?

So, basically, Friendship is Magic had tons of fantasy elements, which made the ponies seem just as fantastical as the world they lived in, but the new movie is filled with things we consider familiar and everyday, which made the ponies stand out, and I believe that making a world without humans that seems very similar to ours but with non-human sapient inhabitants such as ponies, dogs, or other animals is a big no-no.

For example, here's some food for thought. In our world in the G5 world, if we want to send a message to a distant person, we just pull out our phone and send a text, but, in Friendship is Magic, a dragon burns the letter, and it magically appears next to the recipient. That is FAR more creative, FAR more fantasy-like, and FAR more fitting for a world consisting of magical talking ponies, would you agree? THAT'S the type or creativity and fantasy I'd expect from a fantasy world inhabited by magical talking ponies, would you agree?

Edited by DPBOX
  • Brohoof 1