Thoughts on G5

CastletonSnob

Overall quite mixed but overtime and after having the exposure to it, I don't really find myself all that impressed in comparison to G4. The main thing I don't like about G5 is they tried to connect it to G4 and it failed spectacularly in my eyes. Should have left out references to G4 and it would have already been a lot better to me. 

I don't like a lot of the writing, I don't like how Sparky is in the show, and I definitely don't like how they canceled MYM. MYM was really great for what it was though. The movie was also really well done too. As someone who has watched all of TYT, I don't really consider it to be anything particularly great. There is far too much repetition of content and the short-form aspect of it is a definite negative. Some episodes are good, but there were some real bad ones. I won't sit here and say the whole thing is trash though. It has its moments. 

My favorite characters in G5 are Zipp and Pipp, as well as Queen Haven and Posey. Hitch and Sunny are boring to me personally. Just my opinion. 

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

Well,  the characters are acting strange like Izzy invites Misty the villain helper to a house that have magic crystals inside. Pipp is obsessed with the phone and getting followers. 

By the way I like Zipp too.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, I see. A lot of things must not make sense in Generation 5? I think the show has potential, but the writers need to change some things to make it better. Especially the ones with plot holes and things that don't make sense. (But again, I haven't watched the show for myself, yet.)

• Hugs 1

(edited)

I have only seen the Movie and the first episode, so I'll be curious to see the others responses to this!
But honestly I really enjoyed the movie and even  though it's completely different from MLP G4 I think it's refreshing and funny. I like the new designs too. Although I feel like the shows animation is a bit stiffy?

They have a nice way of putting todays society into the show. Suitable for the new generation I suppose- although I feel like MLP G4 is still better in topics? I dunno.

(also someone tell me if the show MLP G5 is worth watching)

Edited by Acid
  • Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

tell your tale looks awful so its unwatchable in my case. its so stiff and the art style is crap. they really had no excuse for the crap animation because g4 was the same flash animation and it looked amazing. i guess to pump out episodes more? lmao

and the movie's good imo. story wise is meh, the animation is excellent, and the characters can be enjoyable. i personally like all generations as im not picky about a lot of stuff for mlp like a lot of people in this fandom lol

but ill give it an 8 out of 10 or smth

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

I think I need to give it a fair go as I haven't watched much yet but I don't really love how its the same universe as G4, I personally would have preferred G5 be its own new series

• Brohoof 4

I liked A New Generation and Make Your Mark, I definitely don't love them as I loved G4/FiM, but I still liked them, I like the 3D visuals, for me Opaline was actually developed as a villain in a better way than G4 did, they made a entire arc for her and not just two episodes, which for me is awesome, that is one thing where G5 was superior to G4 in my opinion. The stories weren't as exciting as G4 in my opinion but I think they were good enough to at least keep my interest and hype. I think they should've made it as a reboot, but I liked the G4 connections, making a new generation as a sequel to the previous one feels different and I think it's good to see it being done at least once.

I don't like Tell your Tale, for me that show was a big disappointment, I definitely don't like the visuals, I don't like the short 5 minutes format, the stories aren't any interesting or exciting at all to me, I was actually okay with it in Season 1, as I recognized that the show was more aimed solely on the little kids unlike MyM, so it was just a minor production with no intention of telling any relevant stories. But they changed that, they made Season 2 as a sequel to Make Your Mark, and for me that was a tragic mistake, for me they should've just ended everything in MyM or continue the story into a new show with the same style of MyM. But they choose to continue it into a show that has nothing to do with MyM, I stop watching it after 15 episodes because the show is just not for me, it's unfortunately the worst MLP in my opinion so far and I don't want to watch it ever again with the exception of the very, very few episodes from Season 1 that I truly enjoyed and were memorable to me.

• Brohoof 4

• The title was changed to Thoughts on G5
  • The topic was pinned

I would also like to chime in here that we are happy to see more positive feedback and support of G5! We'd like to gather G5 enthusiast users to encourage more G5 content on the forums! 

• Brohoof 5
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • smile 1

While I do like G5 I do agree with some that it just doesn’t have that it factor G4 did and it doesn’t really seem like it’s attracting any new fans and the new fans that are coming are watching G4 instead. That said I hope G5 continues for a bit longer.

• Brohoof 3
  • Delighted Giggle 1

2 hours ago, Bright Honor said:

While I do like G5 I do agree with some that it just doesn’t have that it factor G4 did and it doesn’t really seem like it’s attracting any new fans and the new fans that are coming are watching G4 instead. That said I hope G5 continues for a bit longer.

The series is certainly creating new fans, observed by TYT's immense popularity on YouTube. The problem is that the vast majority of the new fans are not getting involved in the fandom the way we'd describe it and joining sites like this. 

• Brohoof 5

4 hours ago, Misty Shadow said:

The series is certainly creating new fans, observed by TYT's immense popularity on YouTube. The problem is that the vast majority of the new fans are not getting involved in the fandom the way we'd describe it and joining sites like this. 

Hmm that is a fair point for sure. 

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 1

8 hours ago, Misty Shadow said:

Pretty much. I recall looking up the viewership metrics for My Little Pony: Tell Your Tale on YouTube, noting that episodes released through their two official channels are attracting millions of views.

Moreover, in a recent conversation with my younger cousins, they showed me on their phones that platforms like Twitter, BlueSky, Snapchat, and TikTok host large vibrant communities with millions of users. When I mentioned the forums to them, they expressed a preference for the formats of those newer platforms, remarking that forums felt "slow" and for "old people". 

• Brohoof 3
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Shocked 2

(edited)

I still like long animations like Make Your Mark. Even long animations in the Tell Your Tale art style would be nice. I guess I'm behind the times.....:Sunny-huh:
Also, I always thought concluding the Make Your Mark was a bad decision. After all, 3D animation can do that hard to do in 2D animation, there are different possibilities, and the animators whom created Make Your Mark are amazing! It's a pity to end the series.:worry:

Edited by Felis Amafeles
  • Brohoof 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Felis Amafeles said:

I still like long animations like Make Your Mark. Even long animations in the Tell Your Tale art style would be nice. I guess I'm behind the times.....:Sunny-huh:
Also, I always thought concluding the Make Your Mark was a bad decision. After all, 3D animation can do that hard to do in 2D animation, there are different possibilities, and the animators whom created Make Your Mark are amazing! It's a pity to end the series.:worry:

Although I absolutely wish MYM had gone on longer and would absolutely love for them to do another 3D show, TYT actually does have "long animations" now with 22-minute specials. The first special came out in early April and there are three more coming in Season 2.

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Misty Shadow said:

22-minute specials

I watched the special episode and I really liked that one. 
Although I disliked Tell Your Tale for being too short, I quite liked the song from the show
 :eager:

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 1

The movie and series were pretty good and its cool that ponies have figured out how to tie stuff with only their hooves.:winking-izzy:

What were Celestia and Luna doing during the "No Magic" years?

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

5 hours ago, Octavia Scratch said:

What were Celestia and Luna doing during the "No Magic" years?

Maybe they hired an earth pony as a teacher to train them how to use their mouths and hooves ? :mellow:

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a saying in Chinese bronys use to discribe Hasbro:They use their life to create music, their heart to create animations and feet to make toys. The G5 cartoon in my mind is so far so good but still has space for improvements. But the original purpose of the mlp series is to promote toy selling. So if Hasbro could imrpove their mlp toys to a higher standard for Celestia's sake. I'm sure we will get more series of mlp in futre decades.

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 1

On 2024-08-18 at 5:00 PM, Octavia Scratch said:

Sunny: Twilight

Hitch: Applejack

Izzy: Pinkie

Zipp: Rainbow Dash

Pipp: Rarity

Misty: Fluttershy

That's pretty much the idea, thougn, of course, they probably planned Hitch to be the equivalent to Fluttershy, specially with his ability to talking to animals, maybe meant to be a "Fluttershy if she wasn't shy", but now that we have Misty we can see that she's indeed more similar to Fluttershy, Hitch is more Applejack indeed, specially with his relation with Sparky, which reminds me of Applejack and Apple Bloom moments :catface:

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 1

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that so far it hasn't quite lived up to G4, but it seems waaaayyy too soon to say. It has a lot of potential, yes, but I'm worried that Hasbro might steer it in the wrong direction. The characters seem likable enough, and I liked the movie's animation style quite a bit, except there are a fair bit of plot holes, and there aren't that many connections to G4, which I find confusing, as it was shown that they take place in the same universe, and the ponies of G4 had made quite a mark on Equestria. Seeing as lots of extremely old history was preserved and displayed in G4, it's clear that the material they use in paper and such is quite durable, and can last for a while. So I'm not too sure why they don't have more information on the Mane 6 and the magic of friendship, and I'm also wondering why the Windigos hadn't come for G5 Equestria, at least that we know of. They are magical beings that feed off of hatred, and there was a whole lot of hatred between the Unicorns, Pegasi, and Earth Ponies before their magic was returned, and it's evident that there was at least a small bit of magic left before the G5 storyline takes place, since we can see Cutie Marks on the ponies (even if they are only on one side). Again, it's promising, but what I think it needs is for some plot holes to be explained/filled, and hopefully, they are able to do that, as G5 is fairly new

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1