Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange (1x1 with Skylight Scintillate)

Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle 

19 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

She nodded in greeting, "It's good to meet you Proboscis. I didn't see a scale around here, but when Larynx was with me back at my hive he got weighed and did far exceed the median weight for the changelings in my hive. Not to say that he is fat or anything, if anything he looks rather thin, and he did still weigh less than the median pony, so there's that."

"I knew it!" Proboscis exclaimed. "I mean, yes, that does make sense," Proboscis said, calming down after getting stares from the rest of the class from their sudden outburst. "As a flier, I noticed that I feel less agile after the reformation, which would make sense if we were heavier than we were before."

19 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"As to transforming, the process is mostly subconscious to me, but if I had to describe it it would be that I envision what I want to look like, then trigger the magic across the area that needs changing. The magic tends to flow away from my horn, since I'm predisposed unicorn, but I've seem other changelings have the fire flow up from their hooves, or out from their wings, whichever magical conduit is strongest I suppose."

"Oh, that's strange. I thought that the way we transformed changed after our reformation, but I guess I'm wrong. I mean, I would basically describe it the exact same way you did..." Proboscis explained.

20 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Siren raised an eyebrow at that, "I don't think I follow, care to enlighten me?"

"Think about it. I can read the emotions of every ling else in the room," Larynx explained.

"Oh! I get it!" Proboscis exclaimed. "Before we reformed, we could read emotions of other creatures, but not changelings On the other hoof, ponies produce emotions, but can't read them directly. Instead, they rely on facial and social cues. As reformed changelings, we can do both. We produce emotions that other reformed changelings can read, and we can read the emotions of other reformed changelings!"

"Yes!" Cornea exclaimed, which got the rest of the class to look up, "Larynx, Proboscis, explain what you just said again to the rest of the class."

Larynx and Proboscis explained what they discussed from earlier.

"Now what does this imply?" Cornea asked the whole class.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

On 2023-01-12 at 9:41 AM, Skylight Scintillate said:

"Oh! I get it!" Proboscis exclaimed. "Before we reformed, we could read emotions of other creatures, but not changelings On the other hoof, ponies produce emotions, but can't read them directly. Instead, they rely on facial and social cues. As reformed changelings, we can do both. We produce emotions that other reformed changelings can read, and we can read the emotions of other reformed changelings!"

Siren added, "Well, that's not entirely true, there are some ponies who can read emotions, called empathics, but those are rare."

On 2023-01-12 at 9:41 AM, Skylight Scintillate said:

"Now what does this imply?" Cornea asked the whole class.

Siren still wasn't sure exactly where this was headed, but was intrigued to see what the teacher had in mind, and so kept quiet and waited for the explanation. 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

9 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Siren still wasn't sure exactly where this was headed, but was intrigued to see what the teacher had in mind, and so kept quiet and waited for the explanation. 

Larynx glanced at Siren, hoping that she would connect the dots. Unfortunately, it seemed that this wasn't the case, so Larynx suggested his idea.

"It allows our hive to be completely self-sustaining because we produce the emotions we consume?"

"We can be more like ponies because we can produce emotions like them now?"

"Oh! It allows us to better understand and help ponies because we now also produce the emotions that they feel."

"Exactly!" Cornea exclaimed. "Chrysalis lead us to manipulate ponies to get the emotions that we wanted out of them. However, Thorax, Starlight, and Twilight showed us a different way. A way of sharing emotions and understanding others. We must show ponies that we aren't the changelings that we were before, and that now, we are willing to help and understand them."

"But Cornea, I'm scared the ponies will still hate us or be scared of us," one of the classmates whined.

"If they are scared of us then it is our duty as reformed changelings to show them why they shouldn't be scared of us anymore. And that, is what it means to be a reformed changeling. Class is dismissed," Cornea replied.

There was a lot of murmuring among the students and a whole bunch of emotions could be tasted flowing through the room as the students tried to figure out what that meant.

"It seems Thorax is taking the friendship lessons that Twilight sent here very seriously," Larynx notes to Siren. "What did you think of this? Any questions?"

After Siren replied with her opinions, Larynx would mention "It's almost evening, which means we have time to grab some dinner before heading the Feelings Theater for Our Hive the musical. Any food you are in the mood for?"

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren was mostly on board with the first few ideas as to what the reformed changelings' newfound abilities could imply, and started to nod along.

On 2023-01-15 at 9:58 PM, Skylight Scintillate said:

"Oh! It allows us to better understand and help ponies because we now also produce the emotions that they feel."

She stopped nodding there, a concerned look growing on her face, surely that couldn't be right.

"Exactly!" Cornea exclaimed. "Chrysalis lead us to manipulate ponies to get the emotions that we wanted out of them. However, Thorax, Starlight, and Twilight showed us a different way. A way of sharing emotions and understanding others. We must show ponies that we aren't the changelings that we were before, and that now, we are willing to help and understand them."

Her eyes widened when the teacher confirmed that that was indeed the answer sought. Her expression growing slightly horrified as the teacher continued. The teacher talking about how these changelings used to be in such a negative light made her once again self-conscious about her natural form, so she resumed her unicorn ponysona but remained quiet.

"If they are scared of us then it is our duty as reformed changelings to show them why they shouldn't be scared of us anymore. And that, is what it means to be a reformed changeling. Class is dismissed," Cornea replied.

The teacher's concluding remarks only served to further reinforce Siren's understanding: These "Reformed" changelings genuinely considered natural changelings to be evil, manipulative, and scary. Something to be avoided and distanced from. She wondered if Larynx intended to obligate her to "Reform" at some point in this exchange in order to be accepted. It put a shade of suspicion on the rest of the activities planned for this trip.

"It seems Thorax is taking the friendship lessons that Twilight sent here very seriously," Larynx notes to Siren. "What did you think of this? Any questions?"

Siren was quiet for a moment, her deep concern still apparent on her face. She spoke quietly, "You didn't say anything. I... I thought we had shown you that changelings aren't like that. We're not evil, not manipulative, and not scary, not by nature anyway. We've always been able to understand and help ponies, even better sometimes than the ponies themselves because we could always detect their emotional energy. We felt emotions before, the only difference for you now is that those emotions you feel can now be detected outside yourself. That doesn't mean they weren't real before. You... you don't think my emotions aren't real, just because you can't detect them?"

There were tears in her eyes at that point as she waited for Larynx to respond.

(We'll circle back on the last point once this is dealt with as her response there depends on how Larynx resolves her concerns.)

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

It didn't take a changeling's ability to read emotions for the whole class to know that something was wrong with Siren. All the students stopped packing their bags to glance at Siren silently, failing to hide their shock as they had not expected Siren to react that way.

"Hey I don't think Cornea meant it like that. I think she was just referring to the changelings in Chrysalis' hive. You seem like a friendly changeling..." Proboscis defended. "I mean, none of us have even heard of changelings outside of our hive until you showed up..."

"I think it's best if the rest of you leave while the three of us try to sort this out," Cornea admitted, clearly very embarrassed about the whole situation as she rubbed the back of her neck with her hoof. The rest of the class nodded as they finished packing their bags and scrambled out the door without saying another word. Larynx noticed Proboscis scribbling down a note before he left. It said

Hi Siren,

I get it if you never want to talk to us again, but if you accept our apology, can we still write letters to each other?

You seem very friendly and I want to learn more about you. My apartment number is 754.

Proboscis

Despite how hastily it was written, Larynx could taste how it was soaked in admiration mixed with some nervous embarrassment. Meanwhile, Cornea was much more of the later emotion. 

"Look, this class was a disaster. I wasn't aware we were going to have a changeling visitor until you showed up in class, and I didn't change my lesson plans accordingly. I've taken for granted that I could read the emotions of all of my students quickly, so I would have stopped if I noticed that this was making you uncomfortable. When I was referring to changelings, I only meant the changelings in this hive, though I can see how because I didn't specify, that could be interpreted as all changelings. I didn't intend on making you upset and I apologize for that," Cornea apologized to Siren. 

"Yeah that's one of the problems the hive currently has. Sure, I have been writing to Thorax about you and Hive Sleipnir, but Thorax isn't exactly the best at getting information out to the rest of the hive very quickly. That's why the hive tends to feel 'all over the place' sometimes. In fact, quite a few changelings note how Chrysalis wasn't exactly the nicest, but she was very good at getting information out to the rest of the hive quickly and clearly. I'm sorry for bringing you to this class. Do you accept my apology? Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?" Larynx asked, quite embarrassed about the whole situation himself.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren did not like having the whole class's attention on her, which only served to further embarrass her.

She also wasn't very comfortable being so bombarded with apologies. "You... you don't get it. Or... maybe I don't get it." She sighed, "I was always taught that the differences between the changelings of different hives were minor, cosmetic, inconsequential compared to what makes us the same. I was taught that changelings as a whole were, by nature, cooperative, not manipulative. So even if you only meant the changelings from this hive, that would mean that either all changelings are as you said, or that the hives are in fact more distinct than I had been taught. And I... I didn't want to believe that you... or any of the changelings here, were ever naturally evil, because that would make what you did at Canterlot intentional, rather than a consequence of being taught wrong."

She sighed, looking away, the embarrassment still apparent on her face, "It's all a big mess. I'm sorry, I'm just confounding the issue further now aren't I? I'm hardly qualified to make such statements anyway. I should just stay quiet and let the professionals help when they get here." It seemed like the last statement was more to herself than those gathered.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

"Well I don't get it either. I mean, to me, it seemed like a lot of the differences between our hive when Chrysalis ran it and what I noticed from Sleipnir's hive could be explained as the way Chrysalis ran her hive. Like she didn't exactly have changeling schools, or mention anything about other hives, or delegate roles, or have us cultivate emotions in ponies through cooperation, or have us create our own personalities, or allow us to have our own thoughts..." Larynx rambled a list of things Chrysalis didn't do.

"However, after Chrysalis got banished, the hive switched over to doing things more in line with Sleipnir's hive, such as changelings creating their own personalities and expressing their thoughts and cooperating with ponies. What I don't get is why our hive changed biologically simultaneously," Larynx explained, trying to reason it out for Siren but also for himself. Throughout Larynx's time at Slepinr's hive, he couldn't help but to draw similarities between Slepinr's hive and ponies, or Slepnir's hive and Thorax's hive, or Thorax's hive and ponies, so why did Thorax's hive change the way they did?"

"Also, while the hive considers Chrysalis evil, they also wrestle with what their past selves did because Chrysalis forced them to do the things they did. Is there anything I can do to make you feel better? Should we just go eat somewhere?" Larynx asked. Even though Larynx couldn't read Siren's emotions directly, Siren feeling awful was making him feel awful too.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren sighed as she listened to what Larynx was saying, "It sounds like what I was taught is true, now that you lack the misguiding influence, you're turning towards your nature, but you're confused maybe about what is nature, and what is simply appropriation from the ponies?"

She nodded to herself, "That helps, before you met me you had no way of knowing the difference, and so were just assuming. I guess what's important is that you're moving in the right direction."

The reasoning seemed to calm her significantly, if Cornea were still there she would turn to her, "I'm sorry for my outburst. Your class was good, in that it is encouraging everyling to improve themselves. Not having the basis for change exactly right is a secondary concern. And your willingness to improve with new information is commendable, I'm sure you'll get along well with the others when they come."

If Cornea had already left she'd simply ask Larynx to pass her apology on later.

On 2023-01-21 at 10:13 AM, Skylight Scintillate said:

Is there anything I can do to make you feel better? Should we just go eat somewhere?" Larynx asked. Even though Larynx couldn't read Siren's emotions directly, Siren feeling awful was making him feel awful too.

She nodded, "Food would be good, what do you have here?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

On 2023-01-23 at 2:24 PM, Illiad Easle said:

The reasoning seemed to calm her significantly, if Cornea were still there she would turn to her, "I'm sorry for my outburst. Your class was good, in that it is encouraging everyling to improve themselves. Not having the basis for change exactly right is a secondary concern. And your willingness to improve with new information is commendable, I'm sure you'll get along well with the others when they come."

Cornea was hiding behind the teachers desk when Siren turned to address her. "Oh, well I'm glad you accepted my apology and I accept yours as well. I'll try my best not to offend anyone and get along with others," Cornea said as she stepped out from behind the desk. She wasn't really sure what else to say, so she just stood around awkwardly. 

On 2023-01-23 at 2:24 PM, Illiad Easle said:

She nodded, "Food would be good, what do you have here?"

"Well this hive has quite a diverse choice, with restaurants serving food from the Crystal Empire, Cloudsdale, Ponyville, and Canterlot. Oh I know! A new restaurant recently opened called Twilight's Place. It serves all of Twilight's (and Starlight's) favorite foods and it's really popular," Larynx suggested.

If Siren agreed, Larynx would lead the way back to the main atrium where on one side, facing inwards on ground level, was a pretty large restaurant. Despite the restaurant's busyness near the dinner peak and Larynx not having a reservation ahead of time, A server was able to find the pair a table right away. The restaurant was an intriguing mix of casual and formal elements as it tried to capture the varying mix of formalness of Twilight's food preferences. Larynx looked around casually. It was quite busy, but he got the feeling that Twilight would have felt right at home there. It had a very cozy feeling. That is when he noticed a disguised changeling approaching the pair.

"Antenna?" Larynx asked as he watched the kirin drop their disguise.

"Larynx! It's so good to see you again! I wouldn't miss dinner with you for anything in the world!" Antenna remarked as they hugged Larunx. "Got room for one more?" they asked before taking a seat next to Larynx. They opened up the menu and scanned it with excited eyes. "Oh I heard Starlight really likes this! But I heard Rarity is obsessed with this. What to choose, so many options!" Antenna remarked. 

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

On 2023-01-24 at 9:09 PM, Skylight Scintillate said:

"Well this hive has quite a diverse choice, with restaurants serving food from the Crystal Empire, Cloudsdale, Ponyville, and Canterlot. Oh I know! A new restaurant recently opened called Twilight's Place. It serves all of Twilight's (and Starlight's) favorite foods and it's really popular," Larynx suggested.

Siren looked surprised, but shrugged, "I guess I can see why some of the changelings here think that others are getting too involved in pony culture. But alright, it's been a while since I've had Canterlot food."

On 2023-01-24 at 9:09 PM, Skylight Scintillate said:

"Larynx! It's so good to see you again! I wouldn't miss dinner with you for anything in the world!" Antenna remarked as they hugged Larunx. "Got room for one more?" they asked before taking a seat next to Larynx. They opened up the menu and scanned it with excited eyes. "Oh I heard Starlight really likes this! But I heard Rarity is obsessed with this. What to choose, so many options!" Antenna remarked. 

Siren had been impressed with the style of the restaurant, not having expected the hive to have the resources to build such a space. Maybe they were better off than she had supposed? Or maybe they were subsidized by the ponies in some way?

Her expression fell a bit when they were joined by another changeling. She had hoped that they might have some time for her to ask some questions privately, but clearly that would have to wait. She turned her attention to her menu as Antenna and Larynx talked. Ultimately she'd go with a fettuccini alfredo with a side of garlic bread if it were available, otherwise going along with whatever Larynx suggested. She would also pull out a small jar of emotion gel, intending to eat it with their dinner.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

On 2023-01-27 at 3:42 PM, Illiad Easle said:

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren looked surprised, but shrugged, "I guess I can see why some of the changelings here think that others are getting too involved in pony culture. But alright, it's been a while since I've had Canterlot food."

"Yeah a lot of changelings here are obsessed with pony food, especially any food that Princess Twilight likes, hence why this restaurant is so large and crowded. There are some foods from Canterlot that are some of Princess Twilight's favorites," Larynx said. He would point out a few options on the menu of foods originating from Canterlot to Siren. 

Siren had been impressed with the style of the restaurant, not having expected the hive to have the resources to build such a space. Maybe they were better off than she had supposed? Or maybe they were subsidized by the ponies in some way?

"Impressed? Well given how much the changelings here love Twilight, they worked with her to make this happen," Larynx explained, gesturing around the crowded restaurant.

Her expression fell a bit when they were joined by another changeling. She had hoped that they might have some time for her to ask some questions privately, but clearly that would have to wait. She turned her attention to her menu as Antenna and Larynx talked. Ultimately she'd go with a fettuccini alfredo with a side of garlic bread if it were available, otherwise going along with whatever Larynx suggested. She would also pull out a small jar of emotion gel, intending to eat it with their dinner.

Antenna told Larynx about their day while they were waiting for their food. When the waiter showed up, Larynx placed the order for the pair. "We'll have a roasted vegetable salad, Antenna would like a Tengliatelle with Mozzarella, I would like Canterlot Cheese Pumpkin Ravioli, and some sparkling cider for drinks," Larynx asked.

"Alright then," the waiter noted before swiftly walking off with the order. It took a bit of a while for the food to arrive given how crowded the restaurant was, but it perfectly coincided with Antenna finishing with sharing their day. Then, it was Larynx's turn to share his day. Larynx expressed a bit of his disappointment about how the class went with Siren, and then Antenna would flood Larynx with love as the two snuggled each other. Then Larynx would flood Antenna with love back. If Siren paid even the slightest bit of attention, she would notice that it seemed that the two changelings were producing love, giving it to the other, and then consuming the love they received. 

"What about you? How was your day?" Antenna asked as they offered up some love while snuggling Larynx. 

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

On 2023-01-28 at 9:30 PM, Skylight Scintillate said:

"Impressed? Well given how much the changelings here love Twilight, they worked with her to make this happen," Larynx explained, gesturing around the crowded restaurant.

She raised an eyebrow at that, "Now that is interesting, I didn't think she'd she'd have the time to help with something like this, as busy as she is being a Princess. Still, that's pretty cool that she could help out."

Antenna told Larynx about their day while they were waiting for their food. When the waiter showed up, Larynx placed the order for the pair. "We'll have a roasted vegetable salad, Antenna would like a Tengliatelle with Mozzarella, I would like Canterlot Cheese Pumpkin Ravioli, and some sparkling cider for drinks," Larynx asked.

Siren was somewhat disappointed both that the restaurant appeared to lack what she wanted, and with what Larynx ordered for her as a substitute, but she wasn't going to complain. Physical food was a secondary concern for her anyway, and she had enough of her favorite emotions to satiate herself for the trip.

Then, it was Larynx's turn to share his day. Larynx expressed a bit of his disappointment about how the class went with Siren, and then Antenna would flood Larynx with love as the two snuggled each other. Then Larynx would flood Antenna with love back. If Siren paid even the slightest bit of attention, she would notice that it seemed that the two changelings were producing love, giving it to the other, and then consuming the love they received. 

Seeing how they interacted surprised her as well. It was clear that the two of them were romantically involved, so it shouldn't have surprised her that Antenna came to join them. It was similar to how two ponies in love would interact, albeit the ponies were mostly unaware of the emotions flowing between them in such a literal sense.

"What about you? How was your day?" Antenna asked as they offered up some love. 

She was shaken from her pondering when the attention shifted back to her, "Oh, me?" She shook her head at the offered love, "You'll make me lovesick with all that. Not all changelings can handle love, too sweet, like too much sugar for ponies. But yeah, the day was alright. Besides the situation in school that Larynx already mentioned, it's been interesting to see just how differently your hive here does things." 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

On 2023-01-30 at 3:45 PM, Illiad Easle said:

She was shaken from her pondering when the attention shifted back to her, "Oh, me?" She shook her head at the offered love, "You'll make me lovesick with all that. Not all changelings can handle love, too sweet, like too much sugar for ponies. But yeah, the day was alright. Besides the situation in school that Larynx already mentioned, it's been interesting to see just how differently your hive here does things." 

"Say you're from Manehattan right?" Antenna asked. "What's it like? I always wanted to visit Manehatten, along with Canterlot and Las Pegasus but the other changelings here in this hive think going there undisguised is a bad idea. Fifth Avenue is known for expensive shopping right? And Broadway is known for musicals, right? Speaking of musicals, are you going to see our hive's musical In Our Hive tonight? So what do you think of our hive then? What differences or similarities do you notice? How does that gel you have there work?" Antenna asked Siren in between their bites of tengliatelle.

"Woah maybe we should slow down on the questions so she has a chance to reply," Larynx interrupted. "From what I noticed, Fifth Avenue and Broadway are known for expensive shopping and musicals respectively, but maybe Siren can go into more detail about that. As for the musical, well after what happened in the classroom, I don't want to give her a shock, but at the same time, a surprise would be nice. Ok, I'll just say this. It's called in our hive because it's about our hive. News hasn't spread about other hives yet, but we'll figure out some way to get it out as quickly as possible. Are you interested in attending this musical? And how's the fettuccini alfredo?" Larynx asked. Larynx decided to leave the last question for Siren to answer.

"Oh, and ask me questions! I love it when other changelings ask me questions!" Antenna said. 

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren waited for Antenna to finish speaking before responding to their questions in order.

13 hours ago, Skylight Scintillate said:

I always wanted to visit Manehatten, along with Canterlot and Las Pegasus but the other changelings here in this hive think going there undisguised is a bad idea.

"Yeah... I mean I wouldn't recommend going undisguised, but I look like the changelings that attacked Canterlot, and you don't... anymore."

Fifth Avenue is known for expensive shopping right? And Broadway is known for musicals, right?

She didn't have much to add on that, "I don't spend much time up in the touristy parts of the city. I've found the best deals and performances are found in the less famous parts of the city, towards the industrial side."

are you going to see our hive's musical In Our Hive tonight?

As for the musical, well after what happened in the classroom, I don't want to give her a shock, but at the same time, a surprise would be nice. Ok, I'll just say this. It's called in our hive because it's about our hive. News hasn't spread about other hives yet, but we'll figure out some way to get it out as quickly as possible. Are you interested in attending this musical?

She looked unsure, "Well, I don't see a problem with it, assuming the play is clear on comparing only to your old ways without making or alleging claims on changeling society as a whole. But I fear that that is exactly what it might be, given how little the changelings here know about even the existence of other changeling hives."

She sighed, "But that's not really my place to judge. I just fear that it could give creatures the wrong impression if it goes out without that in mind. But my seeing it wont change the content, I'd rather know what's in it so I can prepare the experts, rather than have them go in blind."

So what do you think of our hive then? What differences or similarities do you notice?

She was thoughtful for a moment, "As to your hive... I mean the cooperation is similar to my hive, if not a bit more so. Differences... well the physical form is a big one, plus the lack of things like gel, Cultivators, Harvesters, and that sort of thing. No offence, but I think the differences between us are analogous to the differences between Thestrals and Bat Ponies."

How does that gel you have there work?

Siren held it up, "Well, it's a bit like honey in consistency made from fresh mineral spring water and other things. By itself it's a nutritious food, but it can be charged with emotional energy to allow for long term storage and to pass energy safely between changelings. This one is the same color as me because it was made by changelings from my hive and charged with my hive's preferred emotions."

And how's the fettuccini alfredo?"

She shrugged, "It's alright, I mean, I anticipate that it's difficult to get much in the way of fresh ingredients out here, and I would guess that the chef is relatively new at it, but it shows promise."

"Oh, and ask me questions! I love it when other changelings ask me questions!" Antenna said. 

She thought a moment before asking, "I hope I don't offend by asking... but how did you do things before you reformed? I mean you specifically. But I understand if you'd rather not think about it."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

On 2023-02-03 at 1:55 PM, Illiad Easle said:

She didn't have much to add on that, "I don't spend much time up in the touristy parts of the city. I've found the best deals and performances are found in the less famous parts of the city, towards the industrial side."

"Really? Why is that? So where do you go specifically? Did you show Larynx this? Larynx, where did you go? What did you think of it?" Antenna asked. 

She looked unsure, "Well, I don't see a problem with it, assuming the play is clear on comparing only to your old ways without making or alleging claims on changeling society as a whole. But I fear that that is exactly what it might be, given how little the changelings here know about even the existence of other changeling hives."

"Wait aren't you starring as yourself in the play?" Larynx interrupted.

"Oh yeah, and I suspected that there were other hives with nicer queens even before I met you!" Antenna exclaimed with a giggle. If Siren asked, they would reply with a "You'll see."

Siren held it up, "Well, it's a bit like honey in consistency made from fresh mineral spring water and other things. By itself it's a nutritious food, but it can be charged with emotional energy to allow for long term storage and to pass energy safely between changelings. This one is the same color as me because it was made by changelings from my hive and charged with my hive's preferred emotions."

"Ohh! Can I try?" Antenna asked. Larynx gestured at them to calm down a bit.

She shrugged, "It's alright, I mean, I anticipate that it's difficult to get much in the way of fresh ingredients out here, and I would guess that the chef is relatively new at it, but it shows promise."

"Larynx didn't show you the farms outside? Huh. Well it used to be a barren wasteland before Thorax but now we grow our crops outside. That's why we're able to be self reliant and reclusive. However, the farmers are struggling with a bit of a learning curve and a maulwurf keeps eating our crops," Antenna explained.

She thought a moment before asking, "I hope I don't offend by asking... but how did you do things before you reformed? I mean you specifically. But I understand if you'd rather not think about it."

"I could tell you right now, or you could wait and see the musical since I'm staring in it," Antenna smirked.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

On 2023-02-06 at 9:01 PM, Skylight Scintillate said:

"Really? Why is that? So where do you go specifically? Did you show Larynx this? Larynx, where did you go? What did you think of it?" Antenna asked. 

Siren shrugged, "It costs a lot of money to put yourself on the center stage, and by that point you're mostly doing what is popular, rather than what you want. Off the main area it's cheaper to set yourself up, so your better able to do what you want, even if it doesn't pay as well. I don't really have that issue, given my Mother's patronage, but I still like to help out the humble ones when I can."

She looked thoughtful, "I don't think it really came up during Larynx's time, maybe next time?"

If Siren asked, they would reply with a "You'll see."

She was skeptical, but hopeful, as to the results.

Ohh! Can I try?" Antenna asked. Larynx gestured at them to calm down a bit.

Siren looked unsure, but nodded, "Just not too much. I didn't bring a whole lot and I'll need it to last my whole trip. I wouldn't want to have to leave early due to running out of food."

She'd pass Antenna a small spoonful to give them a taste of it.

"Larynx didn't show you the farms outside? Huh. Well it used to be a barren wasteland before Thorax but now we grow our crops outside. That's why we're able to be self reliant and reclusive. However, the farmers are struggling with a bit of a learning curve and a maulwurf keeps eating our crops," Antenna explained.

She shook her head, "I don't think we've gone outside since you teleported us in here from the train station. I'm sorry for assuming but I did hear that this area was pretty barren, I didn't think you'd be able to grow much of anything out here."

"I could tell you right now, or you could wait and see the musical since I'm staring in it," Antenna smirked.

She shrugged, "If you'd rather sing about it then I don't mind. When exactly is this play anyway?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

Siren shrugged, "It costs a lot of money to put yourself on the center stage, and by that point you're mostly doing what is popular, rather than what you want. Off the main area it's cheaper to set yourself up, so your better able to do what you want, even if it doesn't pay as well. I don't really have that issue, given my Mother's patronage, but I still like to help out the humble ones when I can."

"Huh, I never thought about it that way. I guess if we have the chance to visit Manehatten, you could show these shows to us. Although I also heard Hinny of the Hills is really popular, so I hope we can see that too," Antenna rambled. 

Siren looked unsure, but nodded, "Just not too much. I didn't bring a whole lot and I'll need it to last my whole trip. I wouldn't want to have to leave early due to running out of food."

"But you can get your emotions from us, right?" Antenna asked. "Why don't you try it on me? Try to make me feel the emotion that you consume."

She'd pass Antenna a small spoonful to give them a taste of it.

"Oh wow, this is good! It's like biting into a watermelon. We need this gel stuff at our hive as soon as possible, because I don't think I can live without it now that I tasted it!" Antenna exclaimed. 

She shrugged, "If you'd rather sing about it then I don't mind. When exactly is this play anyway?"

"It follows the story of this hive from when Thorax ran off and discovered friendship, to where we are now. However, I play a pretty major role in the events that happen because I always questioned the way Chrysalis did things. I don't want to say anymore because we're about to see it though," Antenna explained.

By then, the pair had finished their dinner and if Siren didn't have any objections, Larynx would lead Siren to the Feelings Theater. Once they entered the theater, Antenna said goodbye to Larynx and scurried backstage. Meanwhile Larynx led Siren up into the stands. The rest of the theater quickly filled up after that.

"Wow, they were right when they said that this was completely sold out for opening night..." Larynx noted just before the musical started.

The musical opened with a scene of Chrysalis compulsively plotting a plan to replace anypony in Equestria with any significant amount of power, most notably the elements of harmony as she sang a song of how much she hated them. Once the rest of the changelings entered the scene, she yelled at them her orders. Once the changelings left, they started complaining to each other in a song about their dislike for this plan and Chrysalis. Thorax decided that he was going to run away while Antenna decided that they were going to find a different way to do things and prove Chrysalis wrong.

The scene followed several different changelings as they tried to discover the magic of friendship while following Chrysalis' orders that they didn't like. Meanwhile Chrysalis continued her plan and strictly dealt with any changeling that disagreed with her idea despite mounting opposition. 

The opportunity finally came when Thorax returned with Discord, Starlight, and Trixie. The changelings that opposed Chrysalis did their best to subtly help this group without Chrysalis finding out. Once Chrysalis confronted Thorax, the explosion of reformation and friendship happened, and while Larynx could taste the emotions of all of the actors on stage beforehand, it was much more obvious afterwards. Twilight and Starlight did a speech about love and friendship and the musical ended with the changelings being friends with each other, which got a huge round of applause from the audience.

"So what did you think?" Larynx asked Siren after the applause had settled down. He hoped that Siren wouldn't be offended like what happened in class.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren was actually impressed with the performance. Sure, it could use some work in terms of the quality of the performance, but the story was good and the message was clear. She was sure that with more practice they would have a first-rate production soon enough.

On 2023-02-08 at 9:14 PM, Skylight Scintillate said:

"So what did you think?" Larynx asked Siren after the applause had settled down. He hoped that Siren wouldn't be offended like what happened in class.

She nodded, "I liked it. I appreciate that it puts the blame squarely on Queen Chrysalis, and how she raised her changelings, rather than implying that it was their nature to be evil. There are some areas that could be improved in terms of the acting and set decorations, but the story itself is very good. I think the other hives would benefit in seeing it, if only as a way to convey why your hive is the way it is without risk of misunderstanding."

She held up a hoof pre-emptively, "Before you ask how it could be improved, I'm not the sort who would know how best to improve. I'm a singer after all, not a stage performer or a set designer. I'm just comparing to the shows I've seen in Manehatten. And others more competent may disagree with my points anyway."

She yawned, "So, what's next?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

6 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

She nodded, "I liked it. I appreciate that it puts the blame squarely on Queen Chrysalis, and how she raised her changelings, rather than implying that it was their nature to be evil. There are some areas that could be improved in terms of the acting and set decorations, but the story itself is very good. I think the other hives would benefit in seeing it, if only as a way to convey why your hive is the way it is without risk of misunderstanding."

Larynx sighed a breath of relief. Siren liked it and wasn't offended like after what happened in class. "I mean, I agree for the most part. Like, I think that the acting was pretty good. Well actually, there were some scenes where the acting was a little, how do I put it? I'm not sure, it's complicated," Larynx said. He quite enjoyed the musical himself, but what Siren said made him reflect a bit on the acting.

6 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

She yawned, "So, what's next?"

"Well originally I was thinking we could visit the hot springs to unwind a bit, but if you're tired, we can just go to sleep and start tomorrow with the feelings forum," Larynx suggested. If Siren expressed interest in going to the hot springs, Larynx would lead her down to the hive's hot springs. The hallway gradually sloped down as it got hotter and more humid before abruptly opening up into a large cave with hot springs on the ground. "So this is the hive's hot springs. We use it as a form of central heating during the winter and also changelings like relaxing in it," Larynx explained as he gestured around the large amount of changelings that could be seen bathing in the various pools. "However, I'm sure some of the pools can be used for making emotional gel while the rest are left for bathing. This hive loves the its hot springs. Do you want to go for a dip?"

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren looked excited at the mention of a hot spring, "Oh! Yes please!"

She looked especially happy when they arrived, "Now that's more like it."

She nodded when asked if she wanted to get in, even dropping her pony disguise before entering the water, "Ahhh.... I wish my hive had it's own hot spring like this. I mean the public one isn't bad by any means, it even has a special secret section for changelings, but this is just so much more natural, you know?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

On 2023-02-14 at 3:22 PM, Illiad Easle said:

She nodded when asked if she wanted to get in, even dropping her pony disguise before entering the water, "Ahhh.... I wish my hive had it's own hot spring like this. I mean the public one isn't bad by any means, it even has a special secret section for changelings, but this is just so much more natural, you know?"

"Wait, then what was the place where we saw the emotional gel being made then? Those weren't hot springs? Would emotional gel still be able to be made here? And if emotional gel would be made here, would changelings still be able to use the other hot springs? Finally, how do you like to spend time in hot springs?" Larynx asked, giving Siren a confused look. Despite being confused, Larynx tried his best to relax in the hot springs. Larynx would also point out a spa that was under construction nearby, but it wasn't open yet. After spending about half an hour in the hot springs, Larynx would point out that it was getting late and they should probably head back to Larynx's apartment to sleep if Siren didn't object.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

5 hours ago, Skylight Scintillate said:

Wait, then what was the place where we saw the emotional gel being made then? Those weren't hot springs? Would emotional gel still be able to be made here? And if emotional gel would be made here, would changelings still be able to use the other hot springs?

Siren nodded at that, "Yeah, the gel pits are hot springs too, or rather they are fed by one, but my hive is rather large so they use all the pits to make gel. Plus, since we can still enjoy hot springs outside of the hive, there wasn't much point in the hive having a dedicated hot spring for enjoyment. Your hive is much smaller, and more remote from pony civilization, so you'll probably have no problem having both a gel pit and a hot spring."

how do you like to spend time in hot springs?

Siren stretched out as much as she could, floating on her back. "Hmmmmmmmmmm..... I think this is a nice way to do it. Just.... quietly relax."

It was apparent just how much lighter Siren was compared to the reformed changelings, given she had no difficulty floating, and would in fact struggle to push herself under the water, making use of a stone or two to weigh her hooves down when she wanted to submerge herself.

After spending about half an hour in the hot springs, Larynx would point out that it was getting late and they should probably head back to Larynx's apartment to sleep if Siren didn't object.

"Hmm?" she was stirred from her relaxation, "Ah, we can come back here later right? It's a real nice place you have here. I'll sure sleep well tonight." That said she'd exit the spring and dry herself off by donning her disguise, the fire taking care of the moisture, then follow Larynx back.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

Initially, Larynx was a bit surprised when Siren floated on the water, but then he remembered that Siren was a lot lighter than reformed changelings. Larynx easily sunk into the hot water to completely submerge himself and he enjoyed the heat, letting it sink in. 

"Oh sure, we can come back here as often as we like. It's open at all hours. In fact, sometimes late at night like tonight is actually the most popular time to go to the hot springs here at our hive. I suppose it's because it helps changelings fall asleep," Larynx explained. Once their time was up, Larynx would lead Siren back up to his apartment where he turned the couch into a bed for Siren. It seemed that Siren's remarks about changelings sleeping well after visiting the hot springs was true, because Larynx fell asleep almost as soon as he got in bed. 

@Skylight Scintillate

Despite being in such a new area, so far from her home and surrounded by strangers, Siren also had no difficulty falling asleep. The couch was far from the least comfortable bed she'd had, and the hot spring had done wonders for calming her down and relaxing her. Had they not left when they did, she may well have fallen asleep there.

Nonetheless, she would wake up refreshed the next day, a bit more receptive to what the reformed hive had to offer her than the day before.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"Good morning Siren, did you sleep well?" Larynx asked while eating a bagel. While Larynx didn't really notice this until Siren pointed it out, he noticed that after the reformation, he felt hungry for physical food when he woke up, which lined up with what he learned from Siren.  "I finished freshening up in the bathroom so you're free to use it. We can head down to the feelings forum and meet Thorax when you're ready."

• Brohoof 1