Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange (1x1 with Skylight Scintillate)

Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle 

"Well it's a place where changelings are able to freely express their feelings about anything that is going on, good or bad, and other changelings acknowledge these feelings. A lot of times, this was used to discuss changes to the hive. Just understand if a changeling says something offensive about you or other changelings, they probably don't know much about other changeling hives," Larynx explained. If Siren didn't have any other questions, Larynx would lead Siren towards the feelings forum.

The feelings forum took place in a room not too different from the classroom that the pair visited yesterday. Inside was aa group of roughly two dozen changelings in sitting in a circle, including one that towered significantly over the others. "That's Thorax," Larynx explained. "But he's like super chill and casual. And that's the forums leader. She runs the feelings forum." Larynx gestured to a spot near Thorax. Thorax noticed the pair and winked at them. A changeling was in the middle of talking.

"So like this maulwurf just comes in and ends up eating half our crops! Now don't get me wrong, I love farming, but it is just so frustrating when this maulwurf just comes in and ruins my hard work. I just wish there was some way we could lead this maulwurf away or make it stop eating our crops..." the changeling complained. The rest of the changelings nodded in agreement. Some changelings comforted the frustrated changeling while others offered ideas for solutions. Larynx just sat back and tasted the various emotions that the changelings had. If Siren didn't have anything to say about the current situation, Thorax would suggest that Siren introduce herself and talk about her feelings.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren had to admit that she saw the appeal of the forum, it reminded her of group therapy in a way, which made sense given most everyling here had recently gone through a dramatic change.

When it came to the actual topics being discussed, like the farmer's problems with the local wildlife, she was somewhat confused. She spoke softly to Larynx so as to not be overheard, "I'm confused, that sounds more like a problem that requires action, like one would bring up in a town hall meeting, not what I was expecting for a 'feelings forum' does this meeting double as a town hall then?"

Given she wasn't sure about the nature of the meeting yet, she didn't know if offering solutions of her own would be appreciated, especially since the idea that came to mind was to drive off the hostile wildlife like they do in Manehatten. She would also want to see a few more examples of other changelings participating in the meeting before feeling comfortable participating herself.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

"Well, it's mostly about changelings having a better understanding of each other and bring the hive closer together. Or at least that's what Thorax says. Chrysalis wasn't very good at understanding others, so we weren't exactly either when she was around. Another changeling is going now," Larynx explained, pointing to the changeling that was now talking.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm a cobalt changeling, sometimes I feel like I'm a periwinkle changeling, but here I am, a seafoam one. And I know that I can change, but then I feel like I would be living a lie," the changeling sighed. 

"You can be anything you want to be. Be cobalt one day and periwinkle the next, or be both simultaneously. As changelings, it is natural for our identity to change, and it's not a lie because it's who you are," the forums leader replied. 

"This was what a lot of changelings struggled with at first, trying to figure out their identity if they changed a lot," Larynx whispered to Siren.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren nodded at the explanation, "So it's more of an open mic, where anyling can share whatever's on their minds, that makes sense."

She looked thoughtful as she listened to the next changeling speak. Once they were done she spoke to Larynx again, "Do you think it would be beneficial if I offered to... well, maybe help them understand a bit more about what it means to me to be a changeling? I mean, since you guys only ever experienced being a changeling under Chrysalis, maybe hearing how it is different for changelings of other hives might help those that feel different from the others to understand that there are probably changelings out there in the world that feel the way they do?"

She looked embarrassed, "I don't know, did that make sense? I just don't want to make a fool of myself." 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

"Yeah, an open mic, that's more like it," Larynx replied. "No, what you said makes sense. If you want to explain to them what it means to be a changeling, then go ahead. Diverse perspectives would help. However, not to belabor the point, but try not to get offended if they ask strange questions," Larynx explained. 

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren nodded, "If you think it'll be alright then, I guess I can put myself out there."

Assuming that Larynx didn't stop or otherwise discourage her, she'd head up to where the other changelings had gone to share their feelings, "Um, Hello all, my name is Siren, I'm a changeling visiting from Hive Sleipnir in Manehatten. I've heard that many of you are unsure about what it means to be a changeling, and while I hardly expect to speak for all changelings, I'm more than happy to share what being a changeling means to me and my hive. "

She would look to the forums leader and Larynx as to whether she should then vacate the stage or stick around for a bit before returning to her seat.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

There was some murmuring among the changelings as they hadn't found out about Siren yet. They glanced at each other, confused, before Thorax spoke up. "Uh, yeah, this is Siren, and she's from a changeling hive in Manehatten. Please treat her like any other changeling in this hive," Thorax explained to the other changelings before turning to Siren. "Go ahead, share what you have to say," Thorax said to Siren. 

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren was a bit surprised to be put on the spot like that, she had been hoping to just introduce herself and maybe answer a few questions. She wasn't prepared to give a lecture on what it meant to be a changeling.

But... she didn't want to make Thorax and Larynx look bad by not sharing something now.

"Oh! Um..."

She took a steadying breath, then began:

"As changelings, we are uniquely situated to form symbiotic relationships with the other creatures in our area. Our unique magic allows us to take whatever form we need to, ensuring that we're never ill equipped to help those around us. Our ability to sense their emotional energy as well as consume it helps us to better understand them and help them. By integrating into their society we place ourselves in the optimal position to help them produce the emotional energy that we consume. My hive is based on Awe and Satisfaction, so we foster an environment to help the ponies in Manehatten feel the same."

She looked unsure as to how to continue, so she nodded, "I guess that's it, um, any questions?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

The changelings murmered to each other with this new information, trying to figure out what to make of it. Finally, one of them spoke up. "Yeah that makes sense. As a hive we should try to make ponies feel love in a symbiotic relationship instead of..." The changeling trailed off when Larynx gestured to them not to continue. "Oh..."

"How do you figure out who you are?" another changeling asked. "Because I have no idea who I am. It feels like my identity changes daily."

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren was a bit nervous as she waited to hear their response, but was happy that one of them had a question.

"Well... It's different for every changeling, just like how ponies get their cutie marks, but without the permanence of it. Some changelings, like me, have one identity that we use, and some never really settle on any particular identity. I think the best advice is, be who you want to be. If you try and be something that you don't want to be, it'll be hard, you'll always be fighting against yourself. Of course, you shouldn't choose anything that would hurt others, but if you feel one way one day, and a different way the next, there's nothing wrong with that."

"That said, some more specific ways that you can figure out who you are is to try new things, I'm not saying that you have to make drastic changes, often these changes can be small. You change one thing, try one new thing, and compare how you feel to how you felt before. If you feel better, keep going, if you don't, then try something else."

She shrugged, "I'm not an expert, but I'm sure some of the teachers that my hive wants to send will be better able to help."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

The changelings murmured to each other some more. "Yeah I suppose that makes sense. I wonder if that means that we need to stop hiding in our hive and go out to interact with ponies..." One of them thought out loud. "Yeah I want to visit Manehatten! Oh, and Los Pegasus too!" another remarked. 

"Well if none of you have anymore questions for our guest and our guest doesn't have any questions, then I think that this will be the end of the feelings forum for today," the forums leader said. The rest of the changelings nodded as they got up and left while continuing to ponder out loud about what was said. 

"I suppose now would be a good time to talk," Thorax said as the forums leader left, leaving just the trio in the room. "So how's the exchange? What do you two think of each others hives?"

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren was relieved to see that she probably hadn't offended anyone with her comments, and was happy to leave the stage, only to be quickly intercepted by Thorax when she met back up with Larynx. "Oh, um.... Your hive is very different from what I'm used to, but I've never visited another hive before, so I don't know what differences are normal between hives, and what differences are due to the reformation. Still though, it feels nice. I'm glad that the changelings I've met here have been open to help me understand your way of life."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

"I'm glad the changelings at your hive were the same to me," Larynx replied. 

"Yeah about that. From what I pieced together and from what I heard from you two, our hive has a very different way of doing things compared to other hives. I suppose part of it is that we're still trying to figure out what we are supposed to do..." Thorax said. He thought awkwardly for a minute trying to figure out what to say next. "Soo, do you have any questions for me? Anything about this hive you want to know more about?"

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren thought for a moment, "Well... and I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but why..." She gestured to Thorax's form in a general manner (I assume he is in the form like in the show), "Why look more like an insect? The ponies already look down on us. Wouldn't looking more dissimilar to them only further reduce their opinion?"

She sighed, "I mean, the typical changeling is dark and lightweight, making it easier to hide or escape if discovered undisguised. But you are quite conspicuous like that." She looked unsure, "I apologize if that was an offensive comment, I don't mean to offend after all."

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Illiad Easle 

"Hmm, I'm not really sure. It just felt right, like what we default to normally, kind of like how we defaulted to, well, what we defaulted to before, I guess. I don't really know how to describe it," Thorax replied. "Maybe it's a metaphor for coming out of the shadows or something... No offense taken," Thorax and Larynx stood around awkwardly, not really sure what to say next. They were interrupted by a changeling shouting, which caused Thorax to tense up.

"Thorax, your brother did it again! He punched holes in the terracotta walls the day after I laid it on!" a changeling shouted as ze stormed into the feelings forum. "He lined a hallway with thorns! And he teaches the little changelings to growl and hiss!" other changelings added, joining the first changeling in zir rant. "He makes us all uncomfortable," they shouted together.

"Hey um, Siren, do you think you and Larynx can talk to him? Maybe an outside opinion would help here?" Thorax asked, followed by a wince as everyling heard more terracotta crumble.

"You're the ruler of the hive, Thorax! You need to do more than talk!"

"I don't feel safe with him around!"

"I'd feel safer if he were gone!"

"We want him banished!" the group of changelings shouted.

Edited by Skylight Scintillate
  • Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren nodded at Thorax's answer, and had been about to respond when they were interrupted by more troubling news.

22 hours ago, Skylight Scintillate said:

"Hey um, Siren, do you think you and Larynx can talk to him? Maybe an outside opinion would help here?" Thorax asked, followed by a wince as everyling heard more terracotta crumble.

"You're the ruler of the hive, Thorax! You need to do more than talk! I don't feel safe with him around! I'd feel safer if he were gone! We want him banished!" the group of changelings shouted.

She looked especially concerned when the changelings mentioned wanting to banish this other changeling. Changelings were meant to work together for the good of the hive, not tear each other down.

But the crowd did have a point, something had to be done if this changeling was causing problems. "I don't know how much I'll be able to help, but if you think it's worth a shot I'd be happy to try."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

It wasn't hard to find Pharynx. As the only unreformed changeling in the hive, he stuck out like a sore wing even without all the other changelings avoiding him. He was punching the walls just outside the feelings forum. "This place looked better with holes..." he grumbled to himself as he attacked the wall. "And all these giant potted plants. They are a safety hazard. An enemy could hide in them or use them in their invasion. I don't even know why they are here. Oh, it's the new changeling," Pharynx said, turning to face the pair when he noticed them. 

"Maybe you'll finally get me. All these other changelings spend all day talking about their feelings to the point where it makes me sick. And don't even get me started on how it's an excuse for them to talk about me behind my back and how I make them cry because they aren't tough enough. I mean, just look at Larynx and the sad wet mess of his emotions. The hive can't even defend against a maulaurf anymore!" Pharynx exclaimed.

Larynx was about to say something when Pharynx called him out. "Why would you say something like that?" Larynx sniffed as he started tearing up.

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren, coming from a hive that prided itself on its architecture, looked horrified to see the wall getting attacked. She could see the point though about the plants. She would guess that Pharynx had previously been a guard for the hive, which would explain his devotion towards safety and the old way.

She let Pharynx say his piece, and motioned for Larynx to stay back so she could handle it, "You wont get me on your side by being rude to my friends. Besides, Larynx wasn't even here, the maulaurf can't be his fault." She sighed, "If you stop punching the walls we can talk. Besides, more holes means more ways for the enemy to get in. If you want things to be safe, you'd want fewer holes and thicker walls. My Queen is an architect, she taught us these things."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

"Well yeah, but... but..." Pharynx stammered as he tried and failed to find flaws in Siren's argument. "I can't believe that the new changeling is defending this hive's way of doing things..." he grumbled. However, he stopped punching the wall and stepped away from it to face Siren. As soon as he did that, a bunch of changelings swooped in behind him to tape off that section of the hall. "You know, maybe I don't belong here. Maybe those other changelings are right and I need to leave the hive..." Pharynx snapped.

"But then who would protect the hive?" Larynx whimpered quietly behind Siren.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

14 hours ago, Skylight Scintillate said:

"I can't believe that the new changeling is defending this hive's way of doing things..."

Siren held up a hoof defensively, "I'm not defending any side here, I'm just pointing out that your actions are working contrary to your goals. Wanting to protect the hive is good, and your concerns about the large potted plants are valid, but breaking holes in the walls undermines your position."

14 hours ago, Skylight Scintillate said:

"You know, maybe I don't belong here. Maybe those other changelings are right and I need to leave the hive..." Pharynx snapped.

"But then who would protect the hive?" Larynx whimpered quietly behind Siren.

Siren had been about to respond to Pharynx when Larynx offered their comment, causing Siren to turn, "You can't expect someone who feels unappreciated to do a good job at anything, because they lack the motivation to. The fact that Pharynx has stayed this long, despite what I presume are constant complaints about him and his way of doing things, shows his true dedication to this hive and defending it."

She repositioned herself to be able to talk to both of them (plus Thorax if he were there too) "Not all changelings are the same. Not every changeling can adequately express their concerns with words in a public forum. Pharynx here has expressed that he is not comfortable with it, seeing it as a place where the other changelings air their grievances about him without also showing him the respect he deserves as a defender of the hive. As Pharynx does not seem to feel welcome there, and from what I've gathered this forum is a centerpoint of the hive, it makes sense that he would not feel welcome in the hive at all."

She turned  back to Larynx, "If you want to keep him as a defender, you'll need to make accommodations to make him feel appreciated and welcome here."

She turned to Pharynx, "That may also take some compromise on your part, which is also a consideration if you want to leave the hive. Joining another hive will mean adapting to their way of doing things, but if you're sure of it, there's a hive in the Everfree Forest whose preferred emotion is fear that you might fit in well with."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle 

"Yeah no, feasting off of fear isn't my thing. Maybe the only reason I stay here is because I need love as an emotion," Pharynx snarled. 

Larynx looked uncomfortably between Siren and Pharynx, unsure how to respond. Now that Siren had pointed it out, there had to be some reason that Pharynx to stick around even with all the complaining about him. But then again, Larynx didn't like it when Pharynx hurt his feelings. On the other hoof, Pharynx probably felt the same way about all the other changelings complaining about him, causing them to end up in a nasty cycle of mistrust. Larynx tried to think of ways to solve this dilemma when he was interrupted by a changeling shouting, "The maulaurf's back!"

"What!?" Larynx exclaimed. He quickly rushed over to see what was going on. Interestingly enough, Pharynx rushed over too. Sure enough, there was a large mole-like creature attacking several crops and changelings simultaneously. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Skylight Scintillate

13 hours ago, Skylight Scintillate said:

"Yeah no, feasting off of fear isn't my thing. Maybe the only reason I stay here is because I need love as an emotion," Pharynx snarled. 

Siren raised an eyebrow at Pharynx's hostility towards her, "I didn't say you'd have to feast on fear, but I could have been more clear. Hive Miasma primarily works as guards for ponies and caravans crossing the forest, I figured your skills as a guard would be well appreciated there. Besides, any changeling can collect any emotion, and while other emotions may not be as good to you as love, I'm sure they'd be able to supply enough love for you to stomach the other emotions they collect. Still, it was just a suggestion. There's no sense staying where you're miserable if you could be happier somewhere else."

13 hours ago, Skylight Scintillate said:

"What!?" Larynx exclaimed. He quickly rushed over to see what was going on. Interestingly enough, Pharynx rushed over too. Sure enough, there was a large mole-like creature attacking several crops and changelings simultaneously. 

Siren would follow, but look unsure. She was not a fighter in any capacity, having been trained to run away when in danger, seeking out the nearest hive guard to protect her, and even then she was only ever in danger of ponies, not large wild animals. Still, she was interested to see is she had understood correctly about Pharynx being the sum total of the hive's defenses.

Edited by Illiad Easle
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Illiad Easle 

"Get out of here you overgrown mole rat!" Pharynx shouted as he bucked the maulwurf. The maulwurf grumbled, seemingly only mildly annoyed rather than significantly hurt as it turned it's attention to Pharynx. The other changelings used this opportunity to escape from the maulwurf's gasp. 

"Don't just stand there, fight this thing!" Pharynx shouted as he dodged a swing from the maulwurf and used his momentum to punch the maulwurf back. However, this did nothing to persuade the other changelings to act. They continued to stare up at the maulwurf as it fought Pharynx. "If only there was some way to convince the other changelings to help fight..." Larynx thought out loud. Suddenly, he got an idea. He transformed into a unicorn and started hitting the maulwurf with magic.

• Brohoof 1

@Skylight Scintillate

Siren was disappointed that there weren't more changelings moving to defend the hive. It seemed she was right that Pharynx proved to be the sum total of the hive's regular defenses. Where were the changelings who had attacked Canterlot? Who had gone up against the Elements of Harmony? Maybe they weren't part of the hive anymore, maybe they had been driven away like the hive seemed intent to do towards Pharynx, because it seemed clear that the hive had a surplus in cowards.

The more she thought about it, the more angry she was. Cowards was an apt term, she remembered the lesson that had been taught in the school when she visited, how she had called them out for painting unreformed changelings as scary, manipulative, and evil. How could they say such things when they had an unreformed changeling living with them? They had only apologized to her for hurting her, they hadn't apologized for their opinions. It wasn't clear whether they saw her as the exception or an example of the rule.

She snorted, if this hive was going to be cowardly, she was going to show that a real changeling didn't back down when it came to defending others. She shed her disguise as she jumped down to aid in the defense, wanting everyone to see that it was the unreformed changelings that saved them.

That being said, she didn't have much magical strength, she was a singer after all, so the best she could do was distract the monster so that Pharynx could get better hits on it than if he was on his own.