Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Has anyone heard of Kaeloo?

Shadowmoth2011

Every so often I wander around on TVTropes when I'm curious to see how some of my favorite shows are represented (MLP, 6teen, Detentionaire etc). I've been doing this for years. Fun stuff.

But TVTropes has also exposed me to something terrifying. A show that I've never, ever heard discussed anywhere else (with an odd exception or two).

And given what I've heard of it...there's a good reason for that!!

affiche_kaeloo_saison_2_md.jpg

So what in the everloving name of Princess Celestia is this show? To be honest...I'm still not sure if I really know. :blink: But judging by how much TVTropes speaks about it, I do have a basic grasp of the gist. In short: it's kind of like Bluey if it had South Park's sense of humor.

The show tells about four..."friends" on the planet of Smileyland. We have Kaeloo, a kindhearted frog, Stumpy, an unlucky and ditzy squirrel, Quack Quack, a quiet and invincible duck who is the target of all manner of abuse, and Mr. Cat. The lattermost is a dangerous psychopath with a sadistic, cruel sense of humor and he just LOVES to screw with his friends in the most violent ways possible. Whenever Mr. Cat pushes Kaleoo's buttons too much, she turns into a huge, buff, toad-like monstrosity who beats the tar out of him as karma for all his horrible, cruel deeds. Season 2 also introduces new characters in the form of bunny sisters Pretty and Eugly, and the evil penguin genius Olaf.

So how's this show stand out? It sounds like a pretty simple, slap-sticky fun cartoon on paper. Well OH BOY, let me tell you that this cartoon has one of the most screwed-up senses of humor I've ever seen. :crackle: It's not like Looney Tunes or any other simple classic cartoon short series, this show has the tendency to disregard ALL means of good taste to tell a joke. Let me tell you some of the stuff the show jokes about...

• Explosions
  • Violence
  • Chainsaws
  • Animals getting ripped in half
  • Animals getting decapitated
  • Jokes about disabled people
  • Jokes about eating disorders
  • Nazi references
  • Many, many references to Hell (THEY EVEN RAP ABOUT IT ONCE :sealed:)
  • Terrorism references
  • Sexual harassment gags
  • Characters dressing inappropriately (G-strings and stripper outfits)
  • Drug metaphors aplenty
  • Alcoholism
  • Masochism (Mr. Cat is all but confirmed to canonically be a masochist)
  • Adult newspapers shown in surprising amounts of detail
  • Occasional swearing (even the F word!)
  • CONSTANT SUICIDE JOKES

Oh, and the kicker??? ALL THE CHARACTERS AREN'T EVEN TEENAGERS. :lostit:

And the OTHER kicker??? This show ISN'T like South Park where it's aimed at an adult audience...IT'S ACTUALLY FOR FAMILIES :BornAgainBrony:

Of course, maybe this show is better than it looks. Maybe it's a cartoon that's considered Fine Art. I can't be too sure myself. It's absolute pain to find and watch - and only one season was ever dubbed into English.

But you see it's hard to tell how good it is...cuz I have never, ever heard this cartoon EVER get discussed. No reviews from big animation YouTubers, no mentions of it in lists of French animations (good or bad lists), it's not even on the animated TV series iceberg images I've seen. Yet this show apparently has quite the following and even won awards! Could it be that I have found the most popular cartoon we've never heard of?

IDK. I'm just curious if anyone else has heard of this show, and if it's actually any good. Cuz learning about this show is an unforgettable experience that you don't often have in your life.

But to be honest, part of me wonders if I'm just hallucinating this entire thing considering how it's barely ever discussed anywhere, so what do I know? :-P