Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sprout.

CastletonSnob

I actually want more of him now. Same with Phyllis. I wasn't really hot on Sprout and Phyllis in the movie, but now...I don't feel they've been given much of a chance in the shows. Phyllis could easily be utilized more in Tell Your Tale and I really wish Sprout could just appear in said series already too. I want the explanation for why he's apparently doing community service in Make Your Mark to be shown onscreen before he gets a redemption arc. 

I was never a fan of him, to be honest. I just found him a less interesting and less believable version of Neighsay. I'm not against him reappearing – there were quite a few G4 characters I liked more when they appeared for the second time. But out of G5 villains, I clearly prefer Misty (especially her!) and Opaline.

• Brohoof 1

@TacodidraReally? That is an interesting comparison. I think that Sprout has a lot more going on than Neighsay. My impressions are that the latter is just a bigot for the sake of the plot, while Sprout had a very interesting background of being a frustrated loser in Hitch's shadow that got to experience a bit of 'success'. That makes him much more interesting. Then again, I don't really know Opaline nor Misty. Care to elaborate on that?

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

@TacodidraReally? That is an interesting comparison. I think that Sprout has a lot more going on than Neighsay. My impressions are that the latter is just a bigot for the sake of the plot, while Sprout had a very interesting background of being a frustrated loser in Hitch's shadow that got to experience a bit of 'success'. That makes him much more interesting. Then again, I don't really know Opaline nor Misty. Care to elaborate on that?

For me, the believability of the character I referred to was more in relation to their power over other characters. As the leader of the EEA (and as such having control over the school system), Neighsay was a bigot in a position of power. Twilight not running her school according to the EEA rules further infuriated him, eventually leading him to take over the school. With Sprout, I didn't find it credible how the deputy sheriff nopony took seriously suddenly managed to became a dictator.

As for the bigotry, I'd view both as somewhat similar – the three pony races in G5 had been on bad terms for ages, and the G4 ponies had had negative experiences with some of the other creatures in the past (and vice versa). Neither Sprout nor Neighsay was alone in having a negative view of the other ponies/creatures, though they took it to an extent the others didn't.

• Brohoof 1

He also has close connections with Hitch and Sunny.
But I guess destiny is ensuring he's not properly involved because he's not a Bearer while Misty will probably take the missing 6th Bearer instead.

They just wasted him

• 5 months later...