Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Advice on an alicorn OC of mine

Scrying Mind

(edited)

The reason I'm asking is because I think it'd be really cool to write a narrative poem anthology from the point of view of Mors, an alicorn OC that I have. However, I know that alicorn OCs are usually met with a negative connotation in this fandom. I'm not exactly sure why that is. I was hoping you'd be willing to take a listen to a bit about him and tell me if there's an issue with the way I've constructed him.

Mors exists in the interpretation of FiM where Celestia and Luna were born alicorns. I personally don't think this interpretation holds water in the canon of the show, but it's certainly an interpretation that exists. I call Mors an AU OC for this reason (this is a minor terminology note). Essentially, he is the brother of Celestia and Luna. They have their domains, the sun and the moon, just as he has his domain, death and the passage onward. He was a stillbirth, and while he was never fully alive, he's not quite dead. His soul exists in the realm between the living world and the beyond, and he's taken it upon himself to talk to and soothe the recently departed before they move ahead. They often ask him what's coming, but he can never answer. He doesn't know. Really, he can't do anything but talk them through their lives and give some wisdom he's learned from the stories of so many ponies who have come before. He truly wants to help, but he always feels detached from the ponies he talks to; he never got to live. They'll talk about their lives, he'll listen and give insight, but in the back of his mind the sadness pops up now and again.

The narrative poem anthology I talked about earlier would be told by Mors, but he'd be talking to a recently dead pony and walking them through their lives. Throughout this anthology, he'll go on tangents about other ponies' lives, and he might go on tangents within tangents. Think of the Arabian Nights, and it's a similar nested-story setup.

Is this character somehow problematic? Like, I don't see a problem with him, and I don't see the problem with having an alicorn OC POV in this context, but maybe the fandom can catch what I'm missing.

Edited by Scrying Mind
typos
  • Brohoof 1

One thing that happens when a pony becomes an alicorn iiiisssss.... They are nerfed DOWN...badly....

Past twilight smart. Alicorn twilight easily outmatched by starlight.

Sunny.... Good alicorn sunny.... Mehhed.

Sooo make a competent alicorn. 

Btw gen 5 made it cannon that tia and luna is born an alicorn.

I get some Black Rabbit of Inlé vibes (plus Death of the Endless)

I guess some people see creating an alicorn OC as a "putting on airs" kind of deal, but more power to you! I think there's a nicely tragic tinge to the character that prevents him from being pure self-insert wish fulfilment. I am intrigued to see how you develop your anthology. Let me know if you need a proof-reader, I'm pretty good at picking up on details!