Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Turning OFF Animated Profile Pictures

North Star

3 hours ago, North Star said:

On the topic of profile pics, are we able to turn off gifs in profile pics? Some of us have pinkie brains and get distracted easily :blink:

I take this... quite personally ... :okiedokieloki:

That's a good idea though, all jokes aside. I get distracted too even by my own pic :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Currently there is no option to disable animated profile pictures from your view.

This is indeed not a bad idea, although given being able to upload gifs is a subscriber perk, I feel like it could perhaps be unfair to those, who decide to donate.

However, you do raise a valid concern. In the past we had reports, that some users were having animated avatars, that could possibly induce seizure for sensitive people. These avatars indeed had many, quite aggressively changing/flashing colors. To be fair though, such unsafe material can be found practically everywhere on the forum anyway, be it in topics, where users post flashing gifs.

Anyway, while there are no written rules regarding what exactly can be put as a profile picture, we do ask to be mindful of other users when choosing one. It's worth keeping in mind, that distracting ones are frowned upon. Same applies to signatures, that accept gifs as well, but there, users actually do have the option to hide someone's signature, but that doesn't mean users should set invasive ones anyway.

That said, if someone's profile picture in particular bothers you, perhaps it's worth reaching out to staff to let us know.

By the way, I have moved your reply into its own newly generated topic, and gave it a meaningful title. You didn't do anything wrong, I just feel like it deserves its own place. ;) 

@Trot Shuffle How many times can an igloo explode before it melts? e-twithonk.png

--------------------

@North Star be like:

Man some profile pictures are too distracting!

@Trot Shuffle with a distracting profile picture:

idkshrek.png

• Brohoof 3

8 hours ago, Rikifive said:

This is indeed not a bad idea, although given being able to upload gifs is a subscriber perk, I feel like it could perhaps be unfair to those, who decide to donate.

*reads*

*looks at avatar*

*reads again*

I think I'm unintentionally in possession of a freebie. Or the backwash in the juice carton has actually turned my avatar into a living thing beyond that of a gif. :sealed:

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

*reads*

*looks at avatar*

*reads again*

I think I'm unintentionally in possession of a freebie. Or the backwash in the juice carton has actually turned my avatar into a living thing beyond that of a gif. :sealed:

Using exploits? e-kirinwoah.png Change your profile picture into a static one or I'm calling royal guards. :LunaMCM1:

e-lunasmile.png { Hey sis, look what they're doing! )

celestiadungeon.png

Jk; Seriously though, apparently it had to be enabled at some point in the past, whether on purpose or as a result of derp. You're probably not the only one.

• Brohoof 1

44 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

Using exploits? e-kirinwoah.png Change your profile picture into a static one or I'm calling royal guards. :LunaMCM1:

e-lunasmile.png { Hey sis, look what they're doing! )

celestiadungeon.png

Jk; Seriously though, apparently it had to be enabled at some point in the past, whether on purpose or as a result of derp. You're probably not the only one.

• Delighted Giggle 1