Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Make Your Mark Chapter 6 Discussion

Misty Shadow

But yeah, know how hard it can be for something to not turn out exactly like you wanted and I empathize, because I used to have a hard time accepting that as well when it happened. And I can understand all your disappointments with G5; it's just I think that if you just went with the flow a little more you'd be a lot less unhappy about it is all. 

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

5 minutes ago, Princess Sunny said:

@EccentricGentleman  Hmm...maybe the reason why a lot of G4 fans are ok with G5 is because they don't nit-pick like people like you do. I think I already made it clear that at first I didn't like G5's new storyline and format, but now I actually have gotten into it and now I like it. But what I really don't like seeing from a lot of other G4 bronies is entitlement, them being upset that their "perfect" format with Friendship Is Magic wasn't continued and feeling like Hasbro "owed" them that. Frankly I would have liked it if Friendship Is Magic continued forever too but the fact of the matter is that Hasbro wanted to do something different with the new generation; in the past they've always done that with each generation, made it unique from all the others, so they did that again here. So even though I didn't wind up with EXACTLY what I wanted (and was even at first upset with it), I adapted and went with the flow, and eventually accepted it, and then learned to like it even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted. The point is, all good things come to an end. Friendship Is Magic was never destined to continue forever; nothing is, realistically. Who knows; maybe if it had, and FIM had lasted for, say, 40 years instead of just 10, adult and kid fans BOTH might have gotten bored with it after a while and nobody would have wanted to watch it at all, because it would be the same thing over and over again. Even something exceptionally good just repeating itself over and over and over again would get tiring after a while, realistically. Maybe even you would have gotten bored with it too; who knows? At least with this, we have something new. Look-I know not everyone can do what I do and adapt and learn to like something even if it isn't exactly what they want. I understand how disappointing that can feel. But when you really think about it we have to adapt to stuff throughout daily life all the time when it doesn't turn out the way we wanted. The same can be true with entertainment. I just found out that GiJoe Retaliation isn't going to have a sequel to show everything ends well, and instead Hasbro is going to do a re-boot. I was very disappointed about that. But I'm looking forward to whatever Hasbro has in store with that. Once again, I adapted. Sometimes I think people like you would be much more happy if they adapted with everything that didn't go the way they wanted and embraced it instead of fussing about how they WANTED it to be. Like, realistically, you can't always have everything be the way you want it all the time. That's just part of life. It's part of being human. Like-ok-I know this new generation isn't perfect, and there are problems with it. But I don't think it's ALL bad. That's just my opinion. 

This has nothing to do with entitlement, I don't believe Hasbro owes me anything. MLP FIM was intended to be a generic show and sell toys to little girls. But the writers, actors and artists went far beyond that and created something of real quality and a surprising attention to the show's established lore. Is it entitlement if you have your expectations raised by people who actually care about their craft or to complain when the continuity errors pile up?

I don't have a problem with a new format for the new show, FIM taught kids how to function with people in their own society, idea of teaching kid how to function with people from other cultures sounds like a good way to take the show to the new level. My problem is the overall dip in quality from it's predecessor and it's own short comings.

I know people can't have things their own way, probably better then you frankly, but that doesn't excuse artists from not making an effort. Indeed I was just saying the overall quality of entertainment coming out of Hollywood feels like it's been in decline for 20 years now and recently hit a low point. And yet the big studios keep making bank out of bad quality, perhaps because some just seem happy to watch anything. MLP FIM was a rare exception, especially for a toy-based show. 

So yes I am upset by the way these new people have mangled what could have been a worththy successor. And that I am called entitled because I dare to complain.

14 minutes ago, Princess Sunny said:

But yeah, know how hard it can be for something to not turn out exactly like you wanted and I empathize, because I used to have a hard time accepting that as well when it happened. And I can understand all your disappointments with G5; it's just I think that if you just went with the flow a little more you'd be a lot less unhappy about it is all. 

If we are to go with the flow, Hollywood will continue to drag the artform into the mud and make nothing but garbage. I get what you're saying but I don't want to be one of those people who went mad for Rise of Skywalker just because they brought back the emperor.

• Brohoof 3

I thought The chapter 6 of Make Your Mark was pretty well made. At the same time I feel sorry for the state of Make Your Mark.
Hasbro has amassed so many resources to make more 3DCG My Little Pony , and make the world of G5 more interesting. Yet they stopped.
3DCG can express a completely different look from 2D animation, which gives the artists and writers different possibilities.
I'd hate to see these resources left on old hard drives to be forgotten...:jazz-hooves-please:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@EccentricGentleman To be honest with you, yes I agree the three sequel Star Wars movies were bad, but I just enjoyed getting to go to a Star Wars movie again after such a long time, so I enjoyed those movies more than most fans probably did. Also now that you've fully expressed your frustrations with G5, and the lack of effort in some respects, yeah, I can better understand your point of view. However, despite these shortcomings, I still enjoy it anyway, just because it's My Little Pony, and I enjoy anything and everything My Little Pony, even the bad stuff. Also one other thing, I'm sorry if I berated you a little bit about your opinion on G5. That was wrong of me and I'm sorry. I kind of didn't know where your complaints were coming from and mistakenly thought you were just picking G5 apart and being nitpicky, but I see now that your disappointments with it do come from valid places and that the the things you said were wrong with it are in fact real genuine issues. But anyway, as far as this new generation, let's just see what happens. I think I'll enjoy it no matter what happens with it. I really wish everyone else who doesn't like G5 could do that too, so they could enjoy it the way I am, so they wouldn't be disappointed. 

Edited by Princess Sunny
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Princess Sunny said:

My disappointment comes from the show having a massive expectation to live up to - it being connected to G4. That is quite the mistake to make, and if it was just its own universe I suspect that it wouldn't have generated so much negativity from the fans. The dragons in Chapter 6 had awful designs and Spike coming back was just expected. I do enjoy Opaline and Misty, as well as Pipp and Zipp, but the rest of it could be better. It's not all bad, but there are some things in it I find to be glaring flaws that are too hard for me to ignore - that sap away from my enjoyment of it. I've seen all of G5 up to date, and MYM could have benefitted from being a proper show with full seasons, characterizations and better character designs. There are some things I absolutely love about it, such as Pipp, Zipp, Misty and the Winter Wishday Chapter. 

• Hugs 1

(edited)

@Props Valroa Yeah those are all valid points. I can still enjoy it anyway, though. About half of the fanbase seems to like it and half seems to dislike it. For those that don't enjoy it I am sorry. I wish this generation could be the way they wanted. I really do. Just so they would be able to enjoy it too. Like, I don't just want people like me who enjoy everything MLP to enjoy it. I want EVERYONE in the fanbase to be able to enjoy it.

Edited by Princess Sunny
  • Brohoof 2

@Princess Sunny

I appreciate the sentiment, but I am firmly on the side of G4. G4 has a lot of things I don't like about it, but it's something that I grew up with. When the G5 movie came out I was really excited for it, and I really enjoyed it, just wish that MYM was able to make better narrative decisions. It's not all bad, there are some great things I absolutely love about it - but it just can't compare to G4 for me. 

• Brohoof 2

@Props Valroa I completely agree that as far as MLP generations go G4 is absolutely GOAT. G5 isn't as good and has some flaws but I'm very thankful I can still enjoy it. I've been a fan of MLP since I was 24 years old and that was back when G4 was (at the time) the current generation. I also like the earlier generations like G1 and G2 but yeah nothing can top G4. At least, not yet. We'll see over time how G5 turns out. But likely no nothing will be a good as G4 was, as much as I will like future generations of MLP. 

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • smile 1

27 minutes ago, Princess Sunny said:

@Props Valroa I completely agree that as far as MLP generations go G4 is absolutely GOAT. G5 isn't as good and has some flaws but I'm very thankful I can still enjoy it. I've been a fan of MLP since I was 24 years old and that was back when G4 was (at the time) the current generation. I also like the earlier generations like G1 and G2 but yeah nothing can top G4. At least, not yet. We'll see over time how G5 turns out. But likely no nothing will be a good as G4 was, as much as I will like future generations of MLP. 

That’s a mistake a lot of bronies made, expecting the second coming of G4. I on the other hand, I’m happy G5 is a sequel, and kept its quality about 7/10. Not the best of the best, but it’s good enough to be something to look forward, even though the G4 expansion is slow

• Brohoof 2

@Steve Piranha Interestingly, according to early MLP A New Generation concept art, A New Generation was supposed to be a reboot of G4, but I guess Hasbro decided to go with having a new story and new characters. Seriously, though, I'm not kidding. They had new designs for Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash and everyone.

• Shocked 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, Princess Sunny said:

@EccentricGentleman To be honest with you, yes I agree the three sequel Star Wars movies were bad, but I just enjoyed getting to go to a Star Wars movie again after such a long time, so I enjoyed those movies more than most fans probably did. Also now that you've fully expressed your frustrations with G5, and the lack of effort in some respects, yeah, I can better understand your point of view. However, despite these shortcomings, I still enjoy it anyway, just because it's My Little Pony, and I enjoy anything and everything My Little Pony, even the bad stuff. Also one other thing, I'm sorry if I berated you a little bit about your opinion on G5. That was wrong of me and I'm sorry. I kind of didn't know where your complaints were coming from and mistakenly thought you were just picking G5 apart and being nitpicky, but I see now that your disappointments with it do come from valid places and that the the things you said were wrong with it are in fact real genuine issues. But anyway, as far as this new generation, let's just see what happens. I think I'll enjoy it no matter what happens with it. I really wish everyone else who doesn't like G5 could do that too, so they could enjoy it the way I am, so they wouldn't be disappointed. 

Apology accepted. Nitpickers can get to me too, when my family saw A Christmas carol with Jim Carry, my mother kept complaining that none of the characters he was voicing looked like Carry.

I'm different to you. I was in the theatres when each of the Jurassic Park films came out. I love each of them, even the 3rd one. But I didn't enjoy any of the Jurassic world films. You mentioned the new Star Wars trilogy, I think it's interesting how it and Jurassic World trilogy mirror each other. 

The 1st one was a remake of the original.

The 2nd messed up it's potential and let down the fans.

The 3rd tried to backpedal from it's mistakes which only made it more annoying and thought it could fix it by bringing in more of the original cast.

Incidentally the Jurassic World Evolution games are the only games I've ever played that were better then the movies.

Edited by EccentricGentleman
Forgot the text
  • Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, Princess Sunny said:

@Steve Piranha Interestingly, according to early MLP A New Generation concept art, A New Generation was supposed to be a reboot of G4, but I guess Hasbro decided to go with having a new story and new characters. Seriously, though, I'm not kidding. They had new designs for Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash and everyone.

Glad it wasn't a reboot. If that happened, the fan reaction would have been far worse - and rightfully so. 

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Excited 1

1 hour ago, Princess Sunny said:

Oh yeah, that was known since about the same time the G4 pony movie was released in theaters :oh_golly:. It was a few years ago where they shown more finalized designs of rebooted Mane 6. That gave several ideas, like an alt universe where they die in the final battle and Equestria make them martyrs

• Brohoof 2

22 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Oh yeah, that was known since about the same time the G4 pony movie was released in theaters :oh_golly:. It was a few years ago where they shown more finalized designs of rebooted Mane 6. That gave several ideas, like an alt universe where they die in the final battle and Equestria make them martyrs

I'm honestly glad they didn't do that, because I don't like picturing the Mane Six dying in my mind, although technically as of G5 Twilight is probably the only one of the Mane Six who is still alive. I suspect the fans would have hated that as well. Thank you so much Hasbro for NOT doing that!

• smile 1

2 minutes ago, Princess Sunny said:

I'm honestly glad they didn't do that, because I don't like picturing the Mane Six dying in my mind, although technically as of G5 Twilight is probably the only one of the Mane Six who is still alive. I suspect the fans would have hated that as well. Thank you so much Hasbro for NOT doing that!

Hell yeah, I’m happy for that also. Rebooting G4 so soon would be like just setting our beloved Mane 6 aside and be forgotten. G5 being a sequel, at least in a small part, keeps their memory alive

8 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Hell yeah, I’m happy for that also. Rebooting G4 so soon would be like just setting our beloved Mane 6 aside and be forgotten. G5 being a sequel, at least in a small part, keeps their memory alive

Well, I was specifically talking about seeing our favorite characters dying tragically but, yeah, that too.

• Brohoof 1