Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Understanding Sunny Starscout - MLP Essay

Misty Shadow

Great. Though I don't thin any main character in MLP is a representation of me :) , most likely because a TV show about someone like me would be really boring to watch. 

• Brohoof 3
  • smile 2
  • Hugs 1

@Misty Shadow

There are a few things about this essay that I really liked. I'll go over how I personally relate to this.

---

"While Twilight used to not have friends by choice, Sunny didn’t have friends because she stood up for her beliefs. This is definitely the kind of thing that should click with a lot of us, considering how careful so many of us have to be nowadays about how we explain our stances and relay our opinions to others."

This here is definitely something that I can relate with. I have certain beliefs about things that other people would just shun me immediately for and I've had to stick with friends who are able to understand. The world we live in is so eager to shun people and ostracize people for going against the mainstream. This is what Sunny did in the show, she challenged the status quo and made a difference. Something a lot of us want to do with our own lives.

"What I feel is the most relatable aspect of Sunny’s character though is the way she’s motivated by loss. We all know the pain of losing the people and things we love and we all know how that pain can drive us. Twilight may have lost her library in FiM, but losing a library doesn’t even compare to losing your father when you’re young"

Losing a parent is something I never want to face. It's my worst fear. I have lost a lot of friends over the years and there are times I wish I could go back to, but it's motivated me to keep pushing forward. To do what I can to make the future better for myself. The future is what we make of it and Sunny changed her future.

"Opaline tried to tempt Sunny into wanting to be loved for what she was rather than who she was. Opaline wanted Sunny to think that because of what she was, she was entitled to “what was rightfully hers”. Sunny doesn’t just show that she’s nothing like Opaline by staying true to herself. She also rejects Opaline’s warped idea of what being a leader is."

True leaders make others stand with them, not bow before them. It's a good analog to real life as there are many people in this world who will manipulate you into worshipping them in one way or another. If someone really wants to lead, they should inspire others to stand with them rather than kneel before them. There is too much entitlement to go around in this world based on status and wealth. 

"Many believe that MYM isn’t truly Sunny’s story, but Misty’s story. After all, we can see Misty’s character development the most clearly out of any character’s development in the show. It’s even true to the title, “Make Your Mark”, the way Misty gets her cutie mark by conquering a part of herself in order to make a difference."

Often times to make a difference we have to conquer the worst parts of ourselves. Misty had to break free from being brainwashed by someone who didn't have good intentions towards her at all. This is really relatable to real life and how a lot of people in this world actually are brainwashed and don't realize their own potential.

"In the events leading up to this, she was able to bring Misty comfort by making her laugh with the simple act of livestreaming something with her friends that turned disastrous, and in this moment, she was able to foster growth in Misty’s heart with the simple act of putting something uplifting online. Do you see it now? Just like Sunny, you can be a positive influence to someone like Misty.

I have to admit that I am more like Misty than Sunny. I’m completely flawed, I was raised in an abusive home, and a feeling of loneliness is something I’ve grown up with my entire life. However, I also want to be like Sunny. That’s why I write all these essays. I do all this because I want to give people a reason for optimism. I want more people to understand that MYM isn’t just a story where Misty gets helped. It’s a story where Sunny and her friends help Misty become the kind of pony who wants to help others in turn."

That was the best moment of Sunny to be honest, because her actions inspired someone to realize what their situation was and make a difference. I am a completely flawed person as well. I was served my whole life on a Silver Spoon by amazing parents and I've never had any significant tragedies in my life compared to what other people have faced. I was really flawed in the past and still am today. I have a long history of being flawed, but I've improved and changed for the better. I feel proud of the good things I've done and forgave myself for what went wrong in the past. I can see where I've changed and where I've helped others, and while it's always been a constant struggle battling with my own situations - I know where I've done right and I know well enough to feel good about it. My biggest weakness is squandering my time and wasting it on negativity. 

I do admit, this does change my opinion about Sunny a bit. I still don't like some of the things like how she was an Alicorn right off the bat in the movie instead of developing to it over time, and how there could more done with her personality, but it's not all bad. Perhaps this essay put it into perspective for me that there is indeed, some real depth to be found in her character that I didn't really think much about.

With this world being more dark than ever, it doesn't hurt to have a little light at your side. 

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 2

Sunny doesn't have friends?... I think she does... I mean... When she was a filly she had 2 , then just 1 and then 4 then everypony.... 

Maybe what you are trying to say here is she doesnt have a lot of friends because of her belief.

Because to me when you said that she doesnt have friends because of her belief is like saying she doesnt want to have friends or cant have friends because of her belief.... Or it could just be me, because i might be mixing up my native language sentence structuring to yours?

Anyway... You tube channel  @Misty Shadow

👍 This'll give a boost in gen 5 and this is the kind of things i miss watching from gen4. Which gen 5 is lacking for some reason. Actually its mostly negative news i see from youtube.

• Brohoof 2