Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Old fashioned artist looking for help going high tech.

Blackcat

Hello everypony, I am in need of some assistance. I fancy myself a decent artist, and I used to doodle up non color cartoon comics for a fun. My old art style was very similar to MLP's current animation so, for me, drawing the ponies in pencil has been for the most part, very simple.

However! I would very much like to start producing something cleaner, and, in the theme of MLP, much more VIBRANT! I am a self taught cartoonist. I learned how to draw by filling my elementary and middle school science notebooks with comics instead of notes. I have never had an art class before so I have never been introduced to any sort of...methods. I've always just sort of...started drawing.

These days I am aware that there are aaaallll sorts of fancy schmancy things you can do with programs and the like to improve your art, or even create art completely. I'm no stranger to deviant art, and other art sites...I've just always been to much of a background pony to actually ask anybody what the buck they were doing.

SO! i'm asking now. What in the hay can I do to start making a transition from pencil and paper, to a more technological medium.

• Brohoof 2

Hello everypony, I am in need of some assistance. I fancy myself a decent artist, and I used to doodle up non color cartoon comics for a fun. My old art style was very similar to MLP's current animation so, for me, drawing the ponies in pencil has been for the most part, very simple.

However! I would very much like to start producing something cleaner, and, in the theme of MLP, much more VIBRANT! I am a self taught cartoonist. I learned how to draw by filling my elementary and middle school science notebooks with comics instead of notes. I have never had an art class before so I have never been introduced to any sort of...methods. I've always just sort of...started drawing.

These days I am aware that there are aaaallll sorts of fancy schmancy things you can do with programs and the like to improve your art, or even create art completely. I'm no stranger to deviant art, and other art sites...I've just always been to much of a background pony to actually ask anybody what the buck they were doing.

SO! i'm asking now. What in the hay can I do to start making a transition from pencil and paper, to a more technological medium.

I believe InkScape is the program you're looking for, but I'm not positive. Photoshop is good too.
  • Brohoof 1

Wow, you sound just like me! Although I don't fancy myself as decent, but I never touched an art class(except those required back in elementary school) in my life. I'm also kind of, more privy to the old style, and lack any formal knowledge in high tech wizardry of computer art programs. Self taught and guided, I think any info added here is sure to help me out as well!

I'm still using MS paint, as it is something I'm closely familiar with still to this day, and it hasn't let me down really However sooner or later I'm gonna have to pick up the game.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I was much like you. I started out as a pure traditional artist, but now I prefer digital art.

My recommendation? Get yourself a copy of photoshop and buy a drawing tablet (I use the Bamboo)

It took me a couple of months to get used to it, but trust me when I said it was worth it. Once you get used to the tablet, you can start producing unbelievable pieces of work you couldn't even hope to make traditionally. Also, you can screw around with lighting and color effects in photoshop, adding so much to the drawings :)

There are a ton of other programs, But in my own experience Photoshop is my favorite and is the best for sketching :)

Edited by Eljordo
  • Brohoof 1

I would recommend starting off by buying a small drawing tablet (I myself use a Wacom Bamboo Connect; only $60) and using Paint Tool SAI. If you're thinking of going all in, then you should buy a larger one and use Photoshop. There are plenty of tutorials out there including my own that I could link if you're interested. Good luck and PM me if you need any more information.
  • Brohoof 1

I would recommend starting off by buying a small drawing tablet (I myself use a Wacom Bamboo Connect; only $60) and using Paint Tool SAI. If you're thinking of going all in, then you should buy a larger one and use Photoshop. There are plenty of tutorials out there including my own that I could link if you're interested. Good luck and PM me if you need any more information.

It seems as though these Bamboo Tablets are the way to go, however, I wonder...is there perhaps a medium sized one? if I'm going to be spending upwards of 50 dollars, I'd rather not go buying a larger one immediately after becoming familiar with the smaller product. That being said, I don't want to get the best gear, and fail at using it either. Middle ground is best ground says me.

I've heard of this Paint tool SAI thing before as well, but do not yet know what it is. It is likely that I have gone and googled it after typing this so don't bother explaining it in depth. I would like to know a little bit about it's pros and cons versus photoshop, if anyone can tell me a bit about that.

• Brohoof 1

As mentioned: A graphics tablet is a good option, as you can both draw and colour nicely and clean as soon as you get used to it.

To begin with, I've heard a small one is more than enough (I've heard, as I'm currently waiting for my first one that I recently ordered), and if you get the Bamboo Fun (any edition of that as far as I know) it comes with software you can use!

It seems as though these Bamboo Tablets are the way to go, however, I wonder...is there perhaps a medium sized one? if I'm going to be spending upwards of 50 dollars, I'd rather not go buying a larger one immediately after becoming familiar with the smaller product. That being said, I don't want to get the best gear, and fail at using it either. Middle ground is best ground says me.

I've heard of this Paint tool SAI thing before as well, but do not yet know what it is. It is likely that I have gone and googled it after typing this so don't bother explaining it in depth. I would like to know a little bit about it's pros and cons versus photoshop, if anyone can tell me a bit about that.

The one I bought is the cheapest one they make. It's still extremely good for it's size and price. This drawing I made with it (just a week or so ago) made it on EqD twice, so don't doubt its possibilities, because most limitations it provides are not by it's size, but by drawing ability. If you have the ability to go beyond what it allows you, you would still be able to draw amazing stuff with it and save up to buy a better one.

I'm currently actually saving up to buy a Wacom Cintiq 21 IX ($2000) but that's a while away and I'm doing it to move up to Photoshop.

I would use Photoshop if I had a tablet that had a display on it, but all of those are over $1,500 so I doubt you're willing to put that much money into it. Paint tool SAI is ideal because it has a line smoothing feature. If you can't see the display, your lines tend to be a bit bumpy, but that can be adjusted by Paint Tool SAI. You can also draw with vectors which allow you to be able to edit lines in the drawing. Photoshop on the other hand is much more powerful and has more capabilities, but its lack of a smoothing feature prevents so many possibilities.

The one I bought is the cheapest one they make. It's still extremely good for it's size and price.

I made with it (just a week or so ago) made it on EqD twice, so don't doubt its possibilities, because most limitations it provides are not by it's size, but by drawing ability. If you have the ability to go beyond what it allows you, you would still be able to draw amazing stuff with it and save up to buy a better one.

I'm currently actually saving up to buy a Wacom Cintiq 21 IX ($2000) but that's a while away and I'm doing it to move up to Photoshop.

I would use Photoshop if I had a tablet that had a display on it, but all of those are over $1,500 so I doubt you're willing to put that much money into it. Paint tool SAI is ideal because it has a line smoothing feature. If you can't see the display, your lines tend to be a bit bumpy, but that can be adjusted by Paint Tool SAI. You can also draw with vectors which allow you to be able to edit lines in the drawing. Photoshop on the other hand is much more powerful and has more capabilities, but its lack of a smoothing feature prevents so many possibilities.

Well Ezynell, (and everypony else that raised a hoof to help) thank you kindly for the info. I'm presently on vacation in the north Georgia Mountains, and am away from almost all tech, and away from my job/money. In my downtime here i've been prepping a growing pile of sketches to use as rough drafts or references for when I can get started on this. If everything goes well. I should have some fun stuff to present in the not too distant future.

Well Ezynell, (and everypony else that raised a hoof to help) thank you kindly for the info. I'm presently on vacation in the north Georgia Mountains, and am away from almost all tech, and away from my job/money. In my downtime here i've been prepping a growing pile of sketches to use as rough drafts or references for when I can get started on this. If everything goes well. I should have some fun stuff to present in the not too distant future.

Be sure to update on how it goes and post some pictures!

• Brohoof 1