Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S02:EP11 - Written in the Starscouts

rainbowfirestorm

New episode uploaded, featuring Sunny's mom! I am really curious to hear what you guys think of this episode and Sunny's mom. I wish we got to know her name.

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

Guess we can throw Make Your Mark completely out the window at this point, given Sunny's already got her mark despite being fetlock-high

Sunnier Starscout is absolutely living in Skyros isn't she

• Shocked 1

This was a really interesting episode and we finally got to see what Sunny’s mother looked like and it was a pretty heartwarming episode too with Sunny exploring her own memories. I love it when we get calm and laid back episodes like this and we get to learn more about Sunny, but it makes me wonder if Sunny’s mother is still alive too…

• Brohoof 3
  • Delighted Giggle 1

1 hour ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Guess we can throw Make Your Mark completely out the window at this point, given Sunny's already got her mark despite being fetlock-high

Makes you wonder if she has been secretly an alicorn all along :oh_golly:. Anyway, TYT doing full DERP with filly Sunny’s stripes. She didn’t earn them until after becoming an alicorn :muffins:

• Shocked 1
  • Hugs 2

Cute episode and glad to finally see Mrs. Starscout, and I didn't feel that the 5 minute limit hindered this episode, at least not much, I like when they do these calm episodes, I'm in favor of them doing more episodes in this "Pony Life" style and stop with the rushed stuff and ultra fast humor, still, I think it would've been much better if this was one of the 20 minutes specials, we already got one focused on Izzy with her going on a solo adventure, this could be Sunny's special with her revisiting the past with her parents, or after recalling these memories she could try to find the place where her mother went to, something like that, but maybe they wanted to keep it all a mystery so that was all we got? Like, house moving objects convenently, the map, a constellation showing Mrs. Starscout's head...man, and we already have Allura's brother, her homeplace, Misty's room, the Seaponies, Skyros, Opaline's whereabouts, and all the mysteries that emerged in A New Generation and Make Your Mark, they seriously want us to make a lot of questions huh? :devious: I like it, problem is, don't know if they will even remember to adress all of these :mlp_huh: but TyT is interesting when it tries to be.

6 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

5 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Makes you wonder if she has been secretly an alicorn all along :oh_golly:. Anyway, TYT doing full DERP with filly Sunny’s stripes. She didn’t earn them until after becoming an alicorn :muffins:

You might think this is a pretty cheesy mistake, which is fine with me, but I personally will be fair and let this mistake pass, as they are just visual details, maybe this even happened because of an error in reusing the same model, Baby Sunny probably appears with her rainbow stripes and cutie mark because her model is actually supposed to be the post-A New Generation Sunny transformed into a baby from Season 1 Episode 15, and not Sunny in her past appearance, I'm pretty sure of that because in Season 1 Episode 24 she also appears with rainbow stripes in an old footage with Argyle (probably with the cutie mark too but you can't see it), so they just keep reusing the same model instead of creating a new one without these details :-P

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

This was one of the best episodes of the entire show, if not the best! OnyxEmoteForum.png.8b6a419e60e062fe0df4228c669d5bda.png

Episodes Since Comet's Last Appearance: 12

The Comet counter is strictly only here for the purpose of maintaining count and I'm getting it out of the way because this episode was a masterpiece. I felt like I was watching the G5 movie, Make Your Mark, and FiM's The Perfect Pear all rolled up in one package. Every part was endearing, every part was wholesome, and the ending is probably my favorite moment in all of TYT. This episode proves it really is time for the G5 movie purists to give it a rest. For those who don't know, Sunny's mom is actually a scrapped character from the G5 movie and the way they incorporated her into the series here was perfect. Why does Sunny's mane matter when the episode is a gem

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 2

Okay, so there are continuity issues (Sunny's mane and CM), the continuity of TYT is diverging more and more from the continuity of MYM and the movie for that matter (it had some during S1 but it seems more pronounced now), which is fine but it should be more clearly addressed perhaps, to make it clear that they are not exactly in the same "universe" in case someone was unsure about it. Personally not a big fan of the magical explanation on command that been more common lately. Anyway, I feel like an episode about Sunny's mom (and father for that matter) could have been very impactful if not for that 5 minute format. Still, I enjoyed it for what it was, some really cute moments, appearance & explanation about Sunny's mom (I liked her design) with a heartfelt moment. I also appreciate Zipps ancestors cameo's, finally something more about that royal line! I want a deeper dive into their family. 

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1

18 minutes ago, Rushing cash said:

Okay, so there are continuity issues (Sunny's mane and CM), the continuity of TYT is diverging more and more from the continuity of MYM and the movie for that matter (it had some during S1 but it seems more pronounced now), which is fine but it should be more clearly addressed perhaps, to make it clear that they are not exactly in the same "universe" in case someone was unsure about it. Personally not a big fan of the magical explanation on command that been more common lately. 

As I enjoy making fun stuff, I do have a theory about Tell Your Tale indeed taking place in a different continuity where the events of Make Your Mark and A New Generation happened differently, which could explain the differences in the Opaline arc seen in TyT and the recap episodes, Sprout not showing up in 2D format, etc...

But in reality for me it's much more likely that it's just a error and they forgout to correct it, in case of Sunny's rainbow stripes and CM, I explained it in my post above, it's probably just a model problem that keeps happening since Season 1 :scoots:

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

10 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Yeah, major errors here.

And I don't know what the hoof happened. Is she dead? A Goddess? In Skyros? Will they ever expand on this??? 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Fluttershutter said:

Yeah, major errors here.

And I don't know what the hoof happened. Is she dead? A Goddess? In Skyros? Will they ever expand on this??? 

She’s dead but they won’t fully say it given the target audience for TYT is

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Fluttershutter said:

Yeah, major errors here.

Who knows? It’s possible she died, or ended up in Skyros. Hell, she could be well be an alicorn who hid her glowing wings and horn. Argyle seemed focused in Ancient Equestria’s history, but she seemed more focused in restoring magic. That definitely won’t be the last time she’ll be relevant. A shame we no longer have 3D episodes :sunny:

• Sad 1

I knew this episode was going to be a banger even before I watched it simply because of how many people were talking about it on Twitter.

This episode was great for Sunny’s character, so glad we finally get to see what happened to her mom. Bright house continues to be sentient. Loved the little bit of royal family lore we got. 

Sunny’s mom will probably be mixed into Skyros somehow. Maybe she died trying to find it or left some clues or something. Definitely don’t think she’s alive. Or at least, to me they implied as heavily as they can that she’s dead without outright saying it. Scene at the end with Zipp looking at Sunny was cute.

As for the continuity issues, I really think it’s a model thing like Rafa said. They either didn’t notice or didn’t think it was worth making a whole new model/rig for what could be one episode. Which is fair enough.

Very good episode. Still not happy with TYT being changed to bi-weekly though.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

This episode single handedly brought me back to Gen5! I kinda fell out when Chapter 2 of Make your Mark released, but this episode revived my interest and love for Gen5 and got so happy watching it!

• Delighted Giggle 1
  • smile 1

First off.. wouldn't it make more sense to call her Mrs. Starshine, not Mrs. Starscout... since she is Argyle Starshine's wife after all, not Sunny's.:griiin:

Personally I wish they chose to reveal more and more throughout a few episodes instead of revealing all of this in one episode. It felt so rushed and I didn't feel satisfied with how they showed it. Sunny cried twice or so in the episode but I couldn't feel emotional at all because we didn't have any time to really connect to her mother to begin with, so knowing she passed away didn't have any weight.
But then, I guess I just haven't really fully accepted that gen5 is aimed to be really fast pace and flashy, made for a younger audience. So they likely don't really care at all if the continuity makes sense or not.
What I found the most interesting is that at the start of the episode you can see how many ancestors Zipp and Pipp have, at least 7 generations of Zephyr Heights Queens are shown + their mother. That could say something about how much time there has been between G4 and G5!

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, rainbowfirestorm said:

First off.. wouldn't it make more sense to call her Mrs. Starshine, not Mrs. Starscout... since she is Argyle Starshine's wife after all, not Sunny's.:griiin:

Personally I wish they chose to reveal more and more throughout a few episodes instead of revealing all of this in one episode. It felt so rushed and I didn't feel satisfied with how they showed it. Sunny cried twice or so in the episode but I couldn't feel emotional at all because we didn't have any time to really connect to her mother to begin with, so knowing she passed away didn't have any weight.
But then, I guess I just haven't really fully accepted that gen5 is aimed to be really fast pace and flashy, made for a younger audience. So they likely don't really care at all if the continuity makes sense or not.
What I found the most interesting is that at the start of the episode you can see how many ancestors Zipp and Pipp have, at least 7 generations of Zephyr Heights Queens are shown + their mother. That could say something about how much time there has been between G4 and G5!

I don’t know about you but I feel like TYT is setting up all these storylines only for them to be pushed off to the side 

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, WickedGames said:

I don’t know about you but I feel like TYT is setting up all these storylines only for them to be pushed off to the side 

I wouldn't bet on it right away, but I agree that it's a strong possibility given Tell Your Tale's history of simply forgetting things or not explaining any of them. We are still in Early Season 2, they presented that spaceish place with the universal voice, Misty's room, the carpet with Skyros, etc, The Seapony showed up out of nowhere with no explanation and her scene felt just rushed. There was nothing more about Allura's brother, Comet disappeared and won't even talo about the absence of the tree in Opaline's castle...

I don't know, maybe they want to do something interesting but Tell Your Tale just isn't the right place for it.

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, Rafa Stary said:

I wouldn't bet on it right away, but I agree that it's a strong possibility given Tell Your Tale's history of simply forgetting things or not explaining any of them. We are still in Early Season 2, they presented that spaceish place with the universal voice, Misty's room, the carpet with Skyros, etc, The Seapony showed up out of nowhere with no explanation and her scene felt just rushed. There was nothing more about Allura's brother, Comet disappeared and won't even talo about the absence of the tree in Opaline's castle...

I don't know, maybe they want to do something interesting but Tell Your Tale just isn't the right place for it.

I think this was just a heartwarming Mother’s Day episode 

I believe Sunny mom did unfortunately pass however because Tell Your Tale is for such a young audience they arent going to outright say that she died and that’s why they kept it so vague 

No I don’t believe she is out there someone they just don’t wanna explain death to 5 year old girls 

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, WickedGames said:

I think this was just a heartwarming Mother’s Day episode 

Wait, what???? What if, they could be delaying the episodes solely because of the commemorative days :zipp-wut:???

1 hour ago, WickedGames said:

Yes I definitely agree with this! When I first heard that the episode released and Sunny's mother was shown in it my exact thoughts were "omg!! That is so awesome!!.. oh wait its in TYT, that means it probably won't be handled well.." and yeah I still felt the same way afterwards. Revealing who Sunny's mother was and what role she played in her life is something I was wondering since the movie released, and now the way it is shown feels shallow. We don't even know her name.

• Brohoof 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, rainbowfirestorm said:

Yes I definitely agree with this! When I first heard that the episode released and Sunny's mother was shown in it my exact thoughts were "omg!! That is so awesome!!.. oh wait its in TYT, that means it probably won't be handled well.." and yeah I still felt the same way afterwards. Revealing who Sunny's mother was and what role she played in her life is something I was wondering since the movie released, and now the way it is shown feels shallow. We don't even know her name.

Which leads me to believe that Sunny completed what her mother was trying to do and that this was just a heart warming Mother’s Day episode 

• Brohoof 1

This almost made me cry, but, I have to wonder, why is it in every of these episodes that the parents always end up dead or gone? Why can't we have just have them be alive with the main cast for once? But, it was a good episode and finally something was done with Sunny's mom, as I've always wondered about her.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty mind blowing by TYT standards. This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted for make your mark. An unravelling mystery that world builds and brings up more questions as it goes.

My prediction: the thing Sunny's mom was looking for was the Earth Pony Crystal and that's how it ended up in the light house. Her dad probably used it in the lantern at a tribute to her. Maybe she's still alive out there? Exited about where this will go, both the story and the show. :PIPPIPHURRAY:

• Brohoof 2

so this is G5's true power...

all seriousness, i've just been enjoying TYT more and more, and while this isn't quite as mindblowing as The Blockywockys introducing seaponies, it's still wild that we finally see Sunny's mother!  i'd love to see more episodes like this, where we go into characters' pasts.  what was Misty's foalhood with Opaline like?  does Pipp have a jealous friend from her younger years?  just where are Hitch's parents?  all of this and more, coming to YouTube maybe!!!

• smile 1