The Phantom Menace turns 25.

CastletonSnob

I liked it when I watched it as a kid and still remember enjoying it when I watched it a couple of years ago, but it can get pretty slow especially early on. But still Pod Racing was fun and the final lightsaber duel was great. Also, Duel of the Fates is one of the best songs in the entire franchise

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

I like this movie and I may go see it in the theater. (Turns out the theater run is over. :adorkable: Oh well.)

Jar Jar was a fine comic relief character and I love the theory that he was originally supposed to be a Sith Lord.

• Brohoof 1

Episode I is actually my favourite film from the PT. The pod race is awesome and lightsaber duel at the end is brilliant. It's not a perfect film, but I still enjoy it a lot.

Never had an issue with Jar Jar. Even now, I don't think he's that bad. I will agree that some of the attempts of comedy weren't very good.

I watched it in theatres back in '99 twice as a kid, my relatives even watched it with me:ButtercupLaugh:  

3 hours ago, Megas said:

I liked it when I watched it as a kid and still remember enjoying it when I watched it a couple of years ago, but it can get pretty slow especially early on. But still Pod Racing was fun and the final lightsaber duel was great. Also, Duel of the Fates is one of the best songs in the entire franchise

Star Wars achievement unlocked:love:  

• Party! 1

Our local theaters brought it back for May 3-5th. I was too young when it originally came out, and my parents were at their peak pirating phase when Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith came out, so I hadn't even seen them on the big screen. Then I went to see The Force Awakens and I had chills for the opening! :love: 

And then we watched the rest of it,,, :worry:

So getting to see this movie the way it was meant to was absolutely amazing. My girlfriend and I put on our Star Wars shirts and had an absolute blast! I ended up crying with joy three times.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I loved The Phantom Menace when I saw it at its premiere, and I will always love it. I NEVER jumped on the Jar Jar bandwagon and always thought he was a fun character. Even though I use the name Jar Jar in some derogatory contexts (like referring to Jar Jar Abrams) I never mean to demean our beloved Gungan; it's just a way of making a point to those who understand my meaning. Phantom Menace still has the best lightsaber battle (in my opinion, although it's a close call), and is massively entertaining. I love it, always have and always will.  

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

5 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I loved The Phantom Menace when I saw it at its premiere, and I will always love it. I NEVER jumped on the Jar Jar bandwagon and always thought he was a fun character. Even though I use the name Jar Jar in some derogatory contexts (like referring to Jar Jar Abrams) I never mean to demean our beloved Gungan; it's just a way of making a point to those who understand my meaning. Phantom Menace still has the best lightsaber battle (in my opinion, although it's a close call), and is massively entertaining. I love it, always have and always will.  

Same. When I say Jar Jar Abrams I think "That's really not fair to poor Binks."

I remember how excited I was when The Phantom Menace came out. Then, though I didn't see it in the theater, The Force Awakens felt like a funeral.

• Hugs 1

Whatever you think about the prequels, they will always be superior to that crap fest known as the sequel trilogy, not to mention the prequels was all done by George Lucas himself, the sequels feel like over the top crappy fanfiction without his involvement, especially the last movie Rise of Skywalker, can Disney at least retcon that shit already?!

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Phantom Menace. Movie that shook the fandom to its foundations and apparently received a lot of hate while me, a clueless, innocent child was just having fun (I bet younger generation enjoying sequels will feel the same in upcoming years :mlp_icwudt:)

I always loved that movie. For that time special effects were good, it was great to see jedi at their prime as opposed to their more "hidden in shadows" image in original trilogy. Republic was at its peak (well, it wasn't, but young fans like me back then did not know that), jedi were numerous and lightsabers were utilized frequently with decisive swings that turned droids into pile of junk. 

Duel with Darth Maul is still one of my absolute favourites, while Jar Jar is not some ultimate comedic relief, he's nowhere near as annoying as people try to portray him. He was just... a bit too silly at times, but it's not like original trilogy and sequels didn't have those moments. Heck, it's important to not forget that Star Wars is NOT made with adult fans in mind, save for some few exceptions - something adult fans love to forget about. 

Overall - that is one of my fond childhood memories. I remember how difficult it was to get VHS tape with it back then in Poland and how much I abused it once I got my hands on it. People have every right to not be fans, but I personally (maybe because of nostalgia, but it doesn't really matter) love it and will always, happily rewatch it. 

• Brohoof 2
  • Party! 1

4 hours ago, Sir Hugsalot said:

The Phantom Menace. Movie that shook the fandom to its foundations and apparently received a lot of hate while me, a clueless, innocent child was just having fun (I bet younger generation enjoying sequels will feel the same in upcoming years :mlp_icwudt:)

I always loved that movie. For that time special effects were good, it was great to see jedi at their prime as opposed to their more "hidden in shadows" image in original trilogy. Republic was at its peak (well, it wasn't, but young fans like me back then did not know that), jedi were numerous and lightsabers were utilized frequently with decisive swings that turned droids into pile of junk. 

Duel with Darth Maul is still one of my absolute favourites, while Jar Jar is not some ultimate comedic relief, he's nowhere near as annoying as people try to portray him. He was just... a bit too silly at times, but it's not like original trilogy and sequels didn't have those moments. Heck, it's important to not forget that Star Wars is NOT made with adult fans in mind, save for some few exceptions - something adult fans love to forget about. 

Overall - that is one of my fond childhood memories. I remember how difficult it was to get VHS tape with it back then in Poland and how much I abused it once I got my hands on it. People have every right to not be fans, but I personally (maybe because of nostalgia, but it doesn't really matter) love it and will always, happily rewatch it. 

THIS ^^

12 hours ago, Sir Hugsalot said:

I maintain that whether you liked the prequels or not they had a STORY. The sequels were just an unplanned mess of throwing shit against a wall hoping something would stick.

On 2024-07-12 at 7:01 AM, Fluttershutter said:

I maintain that whether you liked the prequels or not they had a STORY. The sequels were just an unplanned mess of throwing shit against a wall hoping something would stick.

I mean... they had a story, but its quality is a matter of debate and many fans (me included) watch it through thick glasses of nostalgia. What ties prequels together is brilliant episode III, previous ones really aged poorly and story, while consistent remains flawed in many ways (including overly theatrical dialogues George Lucas has written). 

Sequels? I don't really want to criticise them, it's such a tired topic and I feel like we are reliving the VERY intense hate that prequels got when they got released (let's face it, fans were fuming, the only thing that stopped them from taking things too far was lack of developed internet culture around that time). 

It's true however that sequels suffer from lack of proper planning. There should've been a roadmap. Lack of that makes it feel like J.J and Johnson are just fighting each other and retconning each other. With that being said however, I am rather optimistic about the future of Star Wars.