Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Zombie Apocalypse is Impossible

deathbycake74

Yes rotting flesh zombies are impossible, but a zombie outbreak from a virus or a disease is perfectly logical. Hell, there's a parasite in the Rainforest that can take over your mind and control what you do, such as walking and eating. So while you won't see a zombie with teeth falling out of their mouths, it is possible for people to become infected with a virus or parasite that can control them and make them bite you in order to transfer the parasite from person to person.

• Brohoof 1

A zombie Apocalypse in the standard definition of a zombie would be highly unlikely, and if possible would fail near enough instantly due to rotting flesh, decaying muscle and rigamortis. A standard definition being the whole living dead thing.

However, it is technically possible for a zombie-like apocalypse, entertain the idea of a virus of some kind, carried in the blood and saliva, that causes humans to have a huge apatite for food, specifically other humans, the virus also causes surplus of adrenalin to be produced in the body, while this wouldn't make the infected invincible, it would hold of pain long enough that they could appear it, obviously with the virus being transmitted though blood and saliva and with the infected seeking out and attacking other humans, it would spread like how a typical zombie virus spreads.

While these people wouldn't be the walking dead, they would appear to be the standard defined zombies.

Interesting fact, there is a parasite that attacks ants and essentially turns them into zombies. http://www.guardian....arasitic-fungus

Ahhh exactly what i was about to say :) zombies could possibly die off within a week or two due to rotting and just all round falling to pieces, but... There could be a strain of virus similar to the likes of the virus on left4dead (basing my facts off a game like a boss) where the infected gain a mutation through a saliva/blood transmitted virus causing their immune system to become highly rugged and to strip their mind until there is just one urge left... the taste of human flesh... yuck ;P Edited by Quartza00

Human zombies existing one day is certainly possible. There are already countless numbers of parasites and fungus that can turn ants or other kinds of insects and bugs into zombies. The parasite can control the body of the host. Stuff like this happens to fish as well.

I don't think a zombie apoc involves fearing the attack of zombies, but it should be more of fearing the spread of the disease. If it is airborne, spreading very quickly, and there is no cure, then that is something to be scared of.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that it's not possible for "dead" zombies to exist in reality. But have you read/seen the news about the guy who chewed off a homeless man's face? :blink: He used bath salt as a drug, and that stuff turns humans into raging animals. He was even called a real-life zombie I guess.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say the zombie apocalypse is a deeply ingrained metaphor for an apocalyptic world where helpless civilians want what you have.

People obviously don't use it as such cognitively, but that's my theory. If we were talking about that kind of fiction in general and its applications to reality, I felt the new War of the Worlds did a good job: People with paranoia, jumping off boats, attacking your children so they can have your car...They are living zombies at that point:Morals and ethics out the window and all they care about is living and feeding. These images have real backing. It was not a full apocalypse, but it was damn near close for European civilians during World War II. Lots of accounts of people just devolving into, well, ferocious zombies.

The whole zombie craze is irrevevant. Rotting meat in the sun ALL DAY. The stench is whats gonna kill you, not bites. They be falling apart, so they couldn't run, eventually slowed to a crawl so anyone whether it be the National Guard, or a group of civillians will have almost no trouble at all taking them out,

You have some points, but are terribly wrong overall. Sure they would rot and decompose eventualy just dissapear, but an infection similar to movies like dawn of the dead or walking dead would likely wipe out 75+% of the worlds civilization. Take 1 zombie and throw him in downtown new york. Say he bites or scratches even 2 peope before he dies. And say those people turn and bute 2 more. Within hours the infection would be all over new york. A recently bitten victim gets on a plane from new york to los angeles california. one zombie bites a passenger who bites a passenger who bites a passenger. The airplane opens in las angeles and 75 zombies rush into the airport biting more passengers. within days 30% of the american civilization is infected and all international travel is canceled which is to little too late.within a month america is 60% wiped out and a good 20% of the rest of the world is infected. By 1 year in you would see 75% of the worlds population gone forever

Really? Zombies? I don't see how people rising from the dead or a virus that makes you crave flesh is ever going to happen.

Could someone explain to me as I don't feel like sifting through 32 replies.

Could someone explain to me as I don't feel like sifting through 32 replies.

Aw come on, I read them all too. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png But the main point is that while it isn't likely for dead people to come back to life due to an infection or whatever, it is possible for alive zombies to exist. See Party Cannon's comment for example.

• Brohoof 1

the reality is nuclear war, invasion of our homelands, and natural disasters turning areas into massive free for alls. the whole "zombie apocalypse" isnt a literal things, its just a stand-in phrase used to describe any and all setting where people are fighting for survival.

Aw come on, I read them all too. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png But the main point is that while it isn't likely for dead people to come back to life due to an infection or whatever, it is possible for alive zombies to exist. See Party Cannon's comment for example.

Oh, I get it now. I thought you were talking about what comes to mind when you think "Zombie". But I can see how people could act like zombies given the circumstances.

Oh, I get it now. I thought you were talking about what comes to mind when you think "Zombie". But I can see how people could act like zombies given the circumstances.

Well, we can talk about zombies literally, too, but that'd be more (bad) daydreaming than making an actual theory. But there are definitely ways in which a normal human being can switch into a wild beast. I mentioned the ruckus with bath salts before, but just think about rabies or BSE/JCD (mad cow disease). I know those doesn't sound as dangerous as a legit "zombie disease", but if illnesses like these altered or something, resulting in being more contagious and causing more agressive symptoms, we'd be in trouble. They already cause hallucinations.

I think the OP is ignoring basic Zombie Physiology 101.

Its a disease that poisons the body. animals will not eat a zombie. Nor will most microbes. That why a zombie does not decay away in a few months. Those few microbes that can eat zombie flesh do in fact give it a limited lifespan of 4 to 5 years in the temperate zone (that is the US and Europe).

Still the most likely zombie apocalypse was presented in 38 Days Later. It was a man made virus that damaged the brain but the body itself stayed alive. anything that could kill a human could kill one of the infected. Zombies here didn't eat flesh. they just killed people. The disease was called, "rage."

Still with zombies as with any horror scenario, the key is "The willing suspension of disbelief." That's a fancy way of saying, shut up and enjoy the movie. The same reasons listed in the OP, also eliminate vampires. werewolves and Cthulhu.

I have my zombie plans for survival. Not because i expect it but because its fun to have such plans. The Nazis proved we humans can be far worse than any monster. But I would rather see a monster on the rampage that actually deal with man's inhumanity towards his fellow man.

Edited by Silverhoof