Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestrian Physiology 101

Silverhoof

Pony Physiology 101

This post is inspired by the Equine Anatomy 101 poster.

http://twentypercent...n_4-horn-organs

Pony pre-history is that of a grazer. There are vast grasslands in Equestria, but no other large grazing animals. When the Earth Ponies discovered agriculture, the race left the grasslands. Nothing has since evolved to take the ponies place.

Compared to humans, an Equestrian Pony is about 4 feet tall at the head, and weighs about the same. The face of a pony is very human-like: rounded with a small (if any) muzzle. Ponies in Equestria no more resemble earthly ponies, than humans resemble the apes.

Equestrian anatomy allows for far greater range of movement that earthy equines. They do not sport the distended belly an earthy grazer must have. Further, an Equestrian can stand and sit much like a human (even to the point of dancing).

Magic and Telekinesis.

Magic infuses the very land itself. It’s through the use of magic that ponies were able to rise above the beasts and shape the land. There is one universal magic inherent to all ponies: telekinesis.

Earth Ponies utilize TK at its most elemental level. They can pick up objects simply by touching it with a hoof. This is true telekinesis but with no range. For example: An Earth pony picks up a saw. His TK holds the saw in place, but it’s the strength of his forelimb that moves the saw back and forth. This particular brand of TK is limited to his forelimbs only.

Pegasus Ponies also have this simple Telekinesis. But they can express this TK thru two other limbs: Their wings. Flight is simply an expression of telekinesis. Pegasi wings are far too small to effectively lift the pony. TK does the flying, the wings appear to be for control only. In some cases, this telekinetic flight is stronger and faster than others.

Pegasi also have a racial magic. All pegasi have the same abilities, though the degree of power expressed may vary. Walking on clouds, weather manipulation, and shaping clouds into a safe home environments make up this dramatic racial magic. Further, Pegasi can combine their abilities to produce ever more powerful effects.

Unicorns are masters of telekinesis and magic. Telekinesis can be expressed at range by any unicorn. Further it enables fine control. TK strength varies, but in general it’s about the same as human strength. Unicorns with training can express their telekinesis in many ways including large area effects (as seen by Twilight Sparkle in a number of episodes).

Unicorn Magic: As pictured in the poster, the skull of a unicorn protects a second brain like organ. This is where the expressions of magic come from. Every unicorn has some magical ability, powerful or not. Certain unicorns like Twilight can be trained to act like a true earthy wizard. Most however are limited to their own unique brand of magic (like Rarity’s ability to discover deposits of gem stones).

The Fauna of Equestria.

The magic inherent of the land also infused the many enemies of Ponykind.

The manticore for example, is perfectly adapted for predation upon ponies of any type. Anywhere a pony can go, so can the manticore. All manner of magical beasts have evolved to prey upon magical ponies. What is interesting is that humans are familiar with many of these creatures as well, but that is for a later chapter.

Pony’s coped with this monstrous situation with more magic. The monsters are magically confined to protected areas like the Everfree Forest. Occasionally one might escape, but ponies live a life free of predation thanks to powerful magic.

Of course so much magic concentrated in a relatively small area has resulted in a wild proliferation of magical beasts and plants. These reservations of monsters are shunned by all but the most foolish ponies. But one brave zebra, Zecora, does study the intensely magic flora from within the Everfree Forest itself.

Other Intelligent Life.

Equestria is home to many forms of sentient life. Most tend to be racially segregated into their own lands. The Gryphon Kingdoms are the best known, but Zebras and Buffalo also maintain their separate lands.

Diamond Dogs live separated from the rest of Equestria in their tunnels, which are clearly within the realm of Celestia and the ponies. They appear to have enjoyed a secret existence but lost that when they enslaved one of the six Heroines of Harmony. The Dogs appear to be operating illegal gemstone mines (gems which clearly rest on Equestrian national land). It is not clear if Celestia sent her army to clear the buggers out (probably happened off screen).

Other sentient races without their own lands include bovines (who stampeded in one episode), and sheep (who were corralled in another episode). Both spoke in English/Equestrian and appeared perfectly capable of reason. However there was no demonstration of the telekinesis ponies have mastered.

Lastly, there are ambiguous examples of sentience. Many of the lesser mammals appear to have sentience, but do not speak. Fluttershy’s rabbit demonstrates many actions that can only come from sentience. Further the rabbit and a number of other animals are shown with eyebrows.

On both Earth and Equestria, sentients have facial muscles who’s only purpose is convey emotion. Eyebrows are prefect examples of that. Many Equestrian creatures are able to express all the emotions of a human; they just have no speech or telekinesis. Without a language or ability to manipulate the environment, they are treated as animals by the ponies (and likely preyed upon by gryphons).

• Brohoof 22

The Pegasus Ponies section was very good! I had always thought that the wing surface was too small. RD would need a telekinetic assist to reach the speed required to produce a Sonic Rainboom. This was even shown when she rescued Rarity. She moved past her personal fears and doubts. Rainbow saw what needed to be done, and drew from within herself to do it! Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

And remember, her wings weren't even MOVING when she did that.

...And here I thought -I- was a scientist. Wish the haters I know from YellingAssholes Forums would see this and stop calling us "superficial", but I don't want those trolls to know of this place's existence.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

interesting idea, looks like a lot of thought went into the post. The only thing i dont agree with in the post is the origin story. Ponies dont originate in Equestria, which they explained in hearths warming eve. Other than that i think you make some interesting points and fill in some basic plot holes.

Thanks guys. This was kinda fun to work on.

Thanks guys. This was kinda fun to work on.

Thanks guys. This was kinda fun to work on. 100

I am gonna laugh so hard if you are going to get a warning for bypassing char limit after that wall of text you wrote as op. (Not that I would like you to, no way, I'd never ever... Well, it'd be funny tho. XD)

Anyway, that is one great analysis! :3 But... Could ya explain how come the Baby cakes were soooo Mare Sueish? I mean, the unicorn was able to FLY using his TK! Kinda defies the purpose of great and powerful Twilight having wings now. xD And also... pass through walls and stuff... Really confuses me. :3

The baby only weighs a few pounds, and TK is based on mental strength, not a baby's muscle development. Further it seems TK is not based on mind/muscle coordination, if you have it...you've got it.

What we are seeing is the depiction of powerful magic far and beyond other ponies. Sweetie Belle is just starting to learn/use her Telekinesis. Twilight was depicted as a child struggling to use her TK just to turn a page in a book (I think it was the Mane Six cutie mark episode)

This floating foal just might end up as Celestia's next faithful student...

On the subject of "one brave zebra" who "does study [the] Everfree Forest", Jitterbugjive (mod of this blog) made a story where the zebra CULTURE "had invented a way of harnessing magic without the use of horns, through the consumption and decoration of plants and even animals."

http://askthetimemaster.tumblr.com/post/47025015657/panel-1-i-landed-there-and-encountered-many

You might say, however, that Zecora is the only one (so far) known to have traveled (and settled) near other pony races.