Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Looking for Game Testers for a Text Adventure Demo

chaucer345

(edited)

Hello all.

So I've been solo-developing a text adventure based on the world of my fanfic "The First Prince". I've finally completed an alpha demo of the tutorial level but at this point I've stared at it so long that it's really hard for me to look at it objectively and root out both story issues and bugs.

I'm hoping to submit the bug-fixed version to Equestria Daily along with my next story update, so I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in play testing it and giving me comments and bug reports and stuff. I would be extremely grateful for any help I could get.

The game is on google docs here: https://docs.google....GNmQVVncTA/edit

edit: Revised edition with at least 1 bug fix: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4jezjYGzgFDM1FBS21Pb09BVXc/edit

People interested in getting some background before playing can check out the fic here:

http://www.equestria...-prince_31.html

(warning, fic is grimdark tagged)

I thank these forums in advance, you are all excellent poines/griffons/zebras/dragons/weird hairless ape things.

Edited by chaucer345

It's really well done, And I tired it multiple times with all 3 races and found no bugs, other than the demo ending after agreeing to leave with the mare to meet The Organizer, Unless that is a bug XP. But other than that I'm a bit excited for the release on EqD :)

(edited)

It's really well done, And I tired it multiple times with all 3 races and found no bugs, other than the demo ending after agreeing to leave with the mare to meet The Organizer, Unless that is a bug XP. But other than that I'm a bit excited for the release on EqD :)

Nope, that's where it's supposed to end, I'm slightly worried though that you're still referring to the mare as "the mare" did the part where you could ask her her name not work?

edit: Thank you!!!

Edited by chaucer345

(edited)

Nope, that's where it's supposed to end, I'm slightly worried though that you're still referring to the mare as "the mare" did the part where you could ask her her name not work?

No, her name did come up (Tiberia Wind) as well as BlueBlood when asking who the boss was. I just found it easier to reply with "Mare" rather than typing out Tiberia, that and laziness X3

Edited by Gizmo

(edited)

When I tried to ask the mare's name she said She wouldnt tell But I liked the game so far I hope you continue on it! As far as I saw there where no bugs besides maybe the fact that the mare wouldnt tell her name other then that really good game (EDIT): Sorry I have bad memory sometimes she does tell her name my bad sorry >.< Edited by Mellow

When I tried to ask the mare's name she said She wouldnt tell But I liked the game so far I hope you continue on it! As far as I saw there where no bugs besides maybe the fact that the mare wouldnt tell her name other then that really good game (EDIT): Sorry I have bad memory sometimes she does tell her name my bad sorry >.<

It's okay mellow! Thank you for testing it out. I do plan to continue on it, honest! My current release plan is actually to do short episodes ala tell-tale (only with shorter episodes and a much lower budget X) ).

I want MOAR! That was the best game I've played in a while XD Then again, I like RPG kind of games like this. Really good job. Moar? =3

I shall try it and try to bring on the bugs, I'll just see what I think of it, I'll come back in a few, and I hope I already have 100 characters

It was all going well for me, I picked an unicorn, and did all, I made the funniest choices, avoiding cooperation, when I finally asked all the questions after asking for help to drink the drink, I clicked on 5 on the questions and then on one so I could go and meet the bluesomething (sorry can't remember the name) and the game instantally closed, there wasn't a wheel, or a blank screen, it just closed, it isn't in my hotbar, so I don't know what caused it, so if you try every option that is against what they're asking you like the one where you refuse to breath, to drink, and only breathe with your eyes opened, and then she helps you drink, and after that you ask her every question at least twice and try to go on, the game will close itself, I was playing as a Unicorn and my name was Ghastchip if that's any help

(edited)

Edit: removed double post

I shall try it and try to bring on the bugs, I'll just see what I think of it, I'll come back in a few, and I hope I already have 100 characters

It was all going well for me, I picked an unicorn, and did all, I made the funniest choices, avoiding cooperation, when I finally asked all the questions after asking for help to drink the drink, I clicked on 5 on the questions and then on one so I could go and meet the bluesomething (sorry can't remember the name) and the game instantally closed, there wasn't a wheel, or a blank screen, it just closed, it isn't in my hotbar, so I don't know what caused it, so if you try every option that is against what they're asking you like the one where you refuse to breath, to drink, and only breathe with your eyes opened, and then she helps you drink, and after that you ask her every question at least twice and try to go on, the game will close itself, I was playing as a Unicorn and my name was Ghastchip if that's any help

Okay, I have a few questions I'd like to shoot your way about this bug. Did the game display Wind's opinion of you before it exited? In theory what you described was just how the game should close if you press a key after Wind's opinion is displayed (though now that I think of it, I should really do a cout<< "press any key to exit" in there). If it exited before Wind's opinion is displayed though, then there is a more complicated problem... hmm...

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!

Edited by chaucer345

It's okay mellow! Thank you for testing it out. I do plan to continue on it, honest! My current release plan is actually to do short episodes ala tell-tale (only with shorter episodes and a much lower budget X) ).

Okay, I have a few questions I'd like to shoot your way about this bug. Did the game display Wind's opinion of you before it exited? In theory what you described was just how the game should close if you press a key after Wind's opinion is displayed (though now that I think of it, I should really do a cout<< "press any key to exit" in there). If it exited before Wind's opinion is displayed though, then there is a more complicated problem... hmm...

Not at all what happened was, I pressed 1 and before anyhing happened, before any kind of text appeared, it just closed, I didn't press anything, I pressed 1 and then, before I had a single chance to touch anything It closed, I tried to see if the program was still running, but to no avail, it looks like somethings wrong, and I'm sorry, for giving you extra work

Not at all what happened was, I pressed 1 and before anyhing happened, before any kind of text appeared, it just closed, I didn't press anything, I pressed 1 and then, before I had a single chance to touch anything It closed, I tried to see if the program was still running, but to no avail, it looks like somethings wrong, and I'm sorry, for giving you extra work

Okay, this is strange, I checked the program and ran it in my compiler environment and it worked fine, but then I built it and I got the same problem your talking about. I'll have to puzzle this over. Thank you so much for pointing it out and do not feel sorry for giving the programmer extra work. That's what testing is for :).

Okay, this is strange, I checked the program and ran it in my compiler environment and it worked fine, but then I built it and I got the same problem your talking about. I'll have to puzzle this over. Thank you so much for pointing it out and do not feel sorry for giving the programmer extra work. That's what testing is for :).

You're welcome, I'll bookmark this topic or maybe you'll make a new topic, so I can follow the project? I'll be waiting for this, it seems as if it's going to be big, just one question, what kind of programming language are you using? I'd like to learn at least one before school starts, as I have two more months until the start, could you tell me please?

You're welcome, I'll bookmark this topic or maybe you'll make a new topic, so I can follow the project? I'll be waiting for this, it seems as if it's going to be big, just one question, what kind of programming language are you using? I'd like to learn at least one before school starts, as I have two more months until the start, could you tell me please?

I programmed this using C++, though if you're interested in trying out something that's easy to learn, I've been told python is pretty good. Still learning C or C++ will make you a better programmer in the long run... at least so I've been told. To be honest, I've only been coding in C++ for about a month and a half. This is my first major project with it.

I programmed this using C++, though if you're interested in trying out something that's easy to learn, I've been told python is pretty good. Still learning C or C++ will make you a better programmer in the long run... at least so I've been told. To be honest, I've only been coding in C++ for about a month and a half. This is my first major project with it.

Well then, good luck with the project, I'll be following it closely