Debate Section?

Mint Petal

Do you think there will ever be a debate section for bronies to have civilized arguments on opinions, morals, etc? I think it'd be a good way for people to express themselves and show their pride in what they believe.

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

Just your average antisocial unicorn.

Retired fan-fiction author.

Most of us are old/mature enough to be able to debate various moral/ethical values. I do hope something like this could get implemented in the future.

PC Supremacy

I'd start with a thread first. If that goes over well, maybe the admins will agree to a debate section.

I agree, sounds like the best course of action. I would ask a mod before starting a debate on a sensitive issue however.

PC Supremacy

Well, I think 50% of Show Discussion is that. But.... I agree with Kinvara's idea. Make a thread, then the subforum.

post-158-0-60424900-1317894544_thumb.png.

Making sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?
Discord rules, Celestia drools.

-Discord, Episode 27 and 28

I always enjoy a good debate! This would be a great idea! If mods agree, why not just make this the debate thread and move it to the everfree forest.

Signature%20by%20Revion%202.jpg

Why are you dragging your cursor over my signature? Is there a problem here? Do you maybe expect something special? Honestly, that's kind of creepy. Are you trying to get as much information about me as possible? Maybe you're going to copy and paste this into onto your little collage or all things Lyra? (me, not the awesome BG pony...) You seriously have issues dude... I pity you.

Just to play devil's advocate over here...

I like the spartan board layout they've got here. While having specific boards (or sub boards, for that matter) for specific topics of discussion may seem like a great idea, I've seen a lot of forums that end up having a lot of specialized boards with very little activity; in which cases they do little more than clutter up the index.

Rather than requesting such a board be made right off the bat, I think the better course of action would be to show that there's a sufficient level of demand and interest for and in such a board by starting and participating in discussions that would fit it.

• Brohoof 1

It sounds pretty good...

Although of course in any debate there will be the parasprites that are always just too hard to resist feeding. They are too busy buzzing around causing mischief to even bother to use common intelligence to know they are doing wrong.

Right now, where really the only people on this forum are all good people; this debate forum would be pretty cool!

But after a while, once this site gets more popular and filesize limits go down (you have to protect the server somehow...)

A debate forum would be really bad.... And there will be alot of colorful language and metaphors that wouldn't be appropriate for the MLP community, and most definitely would not fit in with the MLP Universe.

So just like Kinvara said, you should just start with a thread.

But what do I know? I'm just a stupid kid.

҉ .Eternal ¸.•'´¯Chaos¯´'•.¸Comes¸.•'´¯With¯´'•.¸Chocolate¸.•'´¯Rain ҉

post-42-0-37067900-1327881766.gif

OK, all we've got to do is wait till TS or Kurt comes...

post-158-0-60424900-1317894544_thumb.png.

Making sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?
Discord rules, Celestia drools.

-Discord, Episode 27 and 28

A debate forum would be really bad.... And there will be alot of colorful language and metaphors that wouldn't be appropriate for the MLP community, and most definitely would not fit in with the MLP Universe.

Trolls will be trolls, regardless of the subject matter. So what if a few bad apples were to pollute otherwise serious debate threads/boards? Deal with them the way you would any other trouble maker: report them and move along.

It sounds pretty good...

Although of course in any debate there will be the parasprites that are always just too hard to resist feeding. They are too busy buzzing around causing mischief to even bother to use common intelligence to know they are doing wrong.

Right now, where really the only people on this forum are all good people; this debate forum would be pretty cool!

But after a while, once this site gets more popular and filesize limits go down (you have to protect the server somehow...)

I don't see how a single thread could work, honestly. There are so many different topics and issues that could be covered in a debate forum (or sub-forum) that a single thread would feel either like too much of a clusterfuck or too closely centered around a single topic. I think that having a subforum for Serious Discussion, Debates, and Current Events would work well. The three together allow for more than enough different topics as long as people post there. And if they don't, it'd be simple to remove.

Rot at the core always spreads outward.

I'd start with a thread first. If that goes over well, maybe the admins will agree to a debate section.

^ This. ^

But I honestly don't think it's worth having a dedicated debate section - a "Debate" prefix in the Everfree Forest should suffice. Get a good debate going, and ask me or Kurt to give it the prefix.

Well, I think 50% of Show Discussion is that. But.... I agree with Kinvara's idea. Make a thread, then the subforum.

We're talking about debates that have nothing to do with ponies.

I always enjoy a good debate! This would be a great idea! If mods agree, why not just make this the debate thread and move it to the everfree forest.

No, this is a feedback thread meant to provide direct feedback to me and Kurtiss. If you wish to discuss something else (e.g.: have a debate), please start a new thread.

Just to play devil's advocate over here...

I like the spartan board layout they've got here. While having specific boards (or sub boards, for that matter) for specific topics of discussion may seem like a great idea, I've seen a lot of forums that end up having a lot of specialized boards with very little activity; in which cases they do little more than clutter up the index.

Rather than requesting such a board be made right off the bat, I think the better course of action would be to show that there's a sufficient level of demand and interest for and in such a board by starting and participating in discussions that would fit it.

You hit the nail on the head, Zoop. Every dead forum I've seen has always had waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many sections for its own good. A dedicated debate forum would, honestly, probably not be worth it. The last time I saw a debate section on a forum, it was on life support.

I'm especially hesitant about adding new sections that have nothing to do with ponies. We're an MLP fan forum, not a political community. As I said above, the Everfree Forest with a "Debate" prefix should cover your debating needs adequately.

It sounds pretty good...

What you're describing with colourful language sounds more like a flame war than a debate. If too much colourful language starts flying around, restrictions on it may be introduced, posts will be edited, and people will be banished to the moon. Don't worry about that.

Also, forums and posts are little more than plaintext stored in the site's database. 20,000 posts are about 10-15 MB, so filesize should be the least of your concerns. What may go down with time is the attachment limits, but that's besides the point.

Trolls will be trolls, regardless of the subject matter. So what if a few bad apples were to pollute otherwise serious debate threads/boards? Deal with them the way you would any other trouble maker: report them and move along.

Yes, if you see anyone causing trouble, do not reply to their posts. Submit a report and get on with your life, or you may just receive a warning yourself.

I don't see how a single thread could work, honestly. There are so many different topics and issues that could be covered in a debate forum (or sub-forum) that a single thread would feel either like too much of a clusterfuck or too closely centered around a single topic. I think that having a subforum for Serious Discussion, Debates, and Current Events would work well. The three together allow for more than enough different topics as long as people post there. And if they don't, it'd be simple to remove.

Solution: have your debates in the Everfree Forest and prefix them with a "Debate" tag. I think that's a happy medium for all of us.

Twilight SIG 8.png

Signature credit: Kyoshi