mega thread Last Poster Wins

Discord!

Hey, guys. I've heard some good things about this game, so I'm here to join in on the fun!

Now, since this is the last post, that means I win, right? That was surprisingly easy. You're not that good at this game, are you?

It looks like I came at a good time. There's some maths for me to talk about and make lots of comments on that no-one will read. Let's get to it!

No, numbers are the [square] root of all evil.
Don't believe me?
Try to solve this; 48÷2(9+3) = ?
Good luck.

Quick terminology recap for dividend and divisor to help make my point clear: The dividend is the number to be divided, and the divisor is the number by which the dividend is divided. So for example, in 42/41, the 42 is the dividend and the 41 is the divisor. In (42-2)/(4(5-3)), 42-2 is the dividend and 4(5-3) is the divisor.

I argue that this is equal to 288. I think that if you have a division immediately followed by a multiplication, then that multiplication indicates that whatever follows next is no longer part of the divisor. If you wanted the multiplication to be part of the divisor, you'd have to explicitly bracket the entire divisor to indicate that. So for the above equation, if you intended for 48 to be divided by (9+3), it would be written '48÷(2(9+3))'.

But still, I can see where the other side is coming from. If you need to have multiplication happen in the dividend, so you intend for 48 to be multiplied by (9+3), you have no reason to put that multiplication after the division. Just write '48(9+3)÷2'. It makes the equation much clearer, as the whole dividend is on one side of the division sign, and the whole divisor is on the other side.

With these two clear ways of writing it, it makes sense that when it is written in the unusual form '48÷2(9+3)', confusion starts to arise. I believe that, strictly speaking, the (9+3) belongs in the dividend of the equation. But if that's the case, why write it after the division sign? Maybe the writer's real intention was for the (9+3) to be in the divisor instead if it's placed in that unusual spot. It makes more sense to accidentally forget a set of brackets than to accidentally put a part of the equation in the wrong spot.

Really, if you want to pose a mathematical question to someone with no ambiguity, you should do it like this!

post-27784-0-31495400-1422644693.jpg

Yeah, I'm a bit of an egghead.

Edited by FortyTwo42

sig-4139834.sig-4138774.xzoetageppqfross

Thanks to Pink for the lovely avatar and W.G.A. for the amazing signature!

My OCs: Aero Wind, Shadowhide, Ebony (WIP)

Hey @FortyTwo42, I'm a princess now! 

My OCs:  Dividend YieldStormgiggle | Ask Me questions! | My Counting Game

Jeric, on 25 Sept 2014 - 6:09 PM, said:img-29563-1-img-29563-1-snapback.png

Any problem that you may experience on this site can be solved immediately if you simply throw Fluttershy into a wood chipper.   You can trust me on this, because I'm an administrator. Would I lie?

NOOOOOOO! I JUST LOOOOOOOOST!

Now I'm starting to see where the difficulty of this game comes from. It feels strange to be a part of the competing group for once.

Wait, WHAT?! W-When did you become a princess, ?! Does this mean I have to bow to you now?

W-When did you become a princess,

Does this mean I have to bow to you now?
Yes.  

Any problem that you may experience on this site can be solved immediately if you simply throw Fluttershy into a wood chipper.   You can trust me on this, because I'm an administrator. Would I lie?

I asked 'when'. A picture proving you're a princess doesn't answer that question. And to be honest, I never actually knew what you looked like as a pony, so how can I be sure that's actually you, and not just a picture of some obscure princess from millennia ago that no-one knows anything about anymore? I won't stand for any identity theft!

I asked 'when'.

A few minutes ago. I am a shapeshifter, after all! 

And to be honest, I never actually knew what you looked like as a pony

You do now!

so how can I be sure that's actually you, and not just a picture of some obscure princess from millennia ago that no-one knows anything about anymore?

This is the form I take when I become an alicorn princess!  

I see the asparagus levels are rising in here ◔ ⌣ ◔

asparagus.jpg

Indeed. 

Edited by Safer-Stormgiggle

A few minutes ago. I am a shapeshifter, after all!

Oh. So you just changed into one with your shapeshifter powers. You didn't actually go though a whole coronation ceremony and all that other rigmarole. That means you're not a true princess and you hold no power! I will not bow to you!

That means you're not a true princess and you hold no power! I will not bow to you!

I may not be an Equestrian princess, but I am still a princess! Which means you still have to bow!

you hold no power!

I'm the lord of numbers!

You look more like the lord of Pokemon to me.  :dash:

*Bows.*

Good.  :toldya:

And I'm surprised you never asked what kingdom I rule over. After all, I can't be a princess if I don't have a kingdom!  

You look more like the lord of Pokemon to me.  :dash:

It seems avatars have more power than I thought. All I do is put four Pokemon over the top of the 42, and everyone goes from thinking I'm a number person to I'm a Pokémon person. And I have absolutely zero complaints with that. As the lord of Pokémon, that means I can summon them at any time to use whatever attack or ability I need, right? With 721 Pokémon to choose from, that's a very powerful ability! But I think it might be more fun if I limit myself to the four Pokémon in my avatar.

And I'm surprised you never asked what kingdom I rule over. After all, I can't be a princess if I don't have a kingdom!  

I was too busy trying to expose your fake identity you, then obeying your commands when I found out your identity was actually true, to think about asking questions like that.

So, uhh, what kingdom do you rule over?

quick! count to 42 and he'll be defeated instantly !

It seems avatars have more power than I thought. All I do is put four Pokemon over the top of the 42, and everyone goes from thinking I'm a number person to I'm a Pokémon person. 

I know that feel man.

this is my signature 

It seems avatars have more power than I thought.

Absolutely. The power an avatar gives you is almost limitless!

As the lord of Pokémon, that means I can summon them at any time to use whatever attack or ability I need, right?

Really? I must admit, that is a rather awesome ability!

So, uhh, what kingdom do you rule over?

Allow me to quote from my profile page:

Far, far away from the happy lands of Equestria there was forsaken, desolate land; a place where even demons feared to tread. Here the air was a malevolent force that sought to strangle the life out of any who dared trespass; and the ground was an endless sea of hateful malice. Only one jagged peak rose from this sea of destructive chaos, piercing the sky with pillars of inky black rock. Atop this mountain was a place of unfathomable evil, a dread castle whose architecture laughed in the face of basic physics. Each and every brick of this Celestia forsaken stronghold had been used to crush a small, adorable kitten to death before being neatly slotted into place. Only one pony dared to claim dominion over this land, the dread Princess Darkblade Stormgiggle.

quick! count to 42 and he'll be defeated instantly !

I hate counting! There will be no counting here!  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Safer-Stormgiggle

Absolutely. The power an avatar gives you is almost limitless!

So, if I need to convince people to see me in a different way, I just need to change my avatar!

Really? I must admit, that is a rather awesome ability!

I know! Now I can't choose whether I prefer my number-based abilities or my Pokémon-based abilities. If this were a video game, I would now be a character with two potential movesets.

Far, far away from the happy lands of Equestria there was forsaken, desolate land; a place where even demons feared to tread. Here the air was a malevolent force that sought to strangle the life out of any who dared trespass; and the ground was an endless sea of hateful malice. Only one jagged peak rose from this sea of destructive chaos, piercing the sky with pillars of inky black rock. Atop this mountain was a place of unfathomable evil, a dread castle whose architecture laughed in the face of basic physics. Each and every brick of this Celestia forsaken stronghold had been used to crush a small, adorable kitten to death before being neatly slotted into place. Only one pony dared to claim dominion over this land, the dread Princess Darkblade Stormgiggle.

So... You rule over a grand total of zero ponies? Nice!

I hate counting! There will be no counting here!  :okiedokielokie:

I knew you were on my side! Safer-Stormgiggle and FortyTwo42 will be an unstoppable team!

So... You rule over a grand total of zero ponies? Nice!

Maybe... Do undead ponies count? They're sentient! 

I know! Now I can't choose whether I prefer my number-based abilities or my Pokémon-based abilities.

I would go with your number based powers.

Safer-Stormgiggle and FortyTwo42 will be an unstoppable team!

Yes! Together, we will rule the universe!  

Stormgiggle uses a mater ball to catch the wild Sandslash! 

*Stormgiggle reveals a case full of thousands of master balls*

I think you'll find I'm all about madness, Punicpunch. post-29563-0-05721000-1419622375.png

I guess I'm your trainer now!