Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Warning, strong language. ;)

I have relatives named Jordan, Kyle, Dylan and Brent, and I still think this is hilarious. This piece was from 11 years ago, and how foolish I was to think that it couldn't get even more weird. Because along with Todd, Kyle and Tucker, we've got Aidan, not to mention its several dozen mutant spawnings like Braden, Cayden, Hayden and Jayden. What is the obsession with these goofy names ending in -aden? And on the girls' side we've got Haaayleeee. And Mileyyyyyy. And Kyyyyliiiie. Katelyn and Emily were okay until like 50% of parents started using them. Then we have the names the parents seem to have picked out of the phone book at random like Parker, Bailey, Madison and MacKenzie. Girls deserve real girls' names! I went to school with Mary, Sarah, Amy and Christy, dammit. And Joe and Josh and Steve and Matt.

Feel free to throw in your own ideas. As usual, this is all in good fun with no offense intended to anyone who may have these names.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 1

I thought my name was special until I discovered there were like, 3 others in my grade that share the name "Matthew." (And I can't exactly say they stand up for the name's meaning.)

It's annoying have multiple people with the same name, in the same grade or class. Especially when you're one of those people. You feel much less special and unique. Then of course there's those moments where you hear your name called and you turn to see who it is, when they're actually calling someone else.

I wouldn't necessarily call those goofy names though. It's just a sound that people like and create a pattern out of. I know several people named Kyle, and Braden. I know a lot of Madison's and Rachel's but I wouldn't necessarily call them goofy. Just plain and simple common names and/or sounds.

My little sister knew a girl with a name pronounced Le-dash-uh. I think it was literally spelt "Le-a" or "Le-uh"... something with a hyphen in its spelling..

The name Shaniqua always comes to my mind with these kind of topics. Some stereotypical, over-the-top racial name (I honestly just don't like this name, no offense to anyone who has it!).

And then there are the OMGUUD SO UNIKE kind of names, where a single name can be spelt 10 different ways with some letters replaced with others to create the same sound. It can get pretty rediculous.

I don't think I've heard of a boy named August, or a girl named Cadenza (I'd squee because ponies :wub:), or anyone named Lucifer (the name's suppossed meaning, "bringing/carrier of light" is beautiful, but the connotations with it would only be negative... just nickname her Luci for short..).

Oh, and girls named Crystal or Krystal, or Serena or Arenes.... sigh. Just name 'em Rarity or Twilight!

• Brohoof 2

Some names are goofy but that's ok. My last name is pretty peculiar.

It really does irk me when it seems like every parent in the country is naming their kids the same thing because certain names are in vogue. It always struck me as weird and a bit annoying that when I was a kid, it seemed like every other guy in my elementary school was named either Zack or Jason.

Brynhildr is the best girl's name ever.

The name Shaniqua always comes to my mind with these kind of topics. Some stereotypical, over-the-top racial name (I honestly just don't like this name, no offense to anyone who has it!).

Bill Cosby once commented on names like that as part of a larger diatribe regarding "African" culture in America. He made some good points. Not knocking the names or anybody who has them, just the logic employed by a lot of people who give such names to their kids.

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 2

Oh... My... Gawd... There are 14 people in my school with the name Alexis... and seven with the name Amelia...

I have no problems with those names, but parents, really? You wanna name your kid something about 17% of the parents in your area already used? God...

I find it ironic that Unique is one of the most common names there are around my area. I though that name was kind of cool until I met seven other girls with that same exact name. Another name that I find kind of silly is James. Why is James used for almost every other male born in the U.S?

• Brohoof 1