Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The new iPad Mini, ideas and thoughts?

Lunalicious

They need to stop putting bezels around screens. If they did that, even if just on one side of the screen, they could make it fold kind of like the Hitchhikers Guide from the movie but appear as one screen without the "black space of disconnect" as I like to call it when using multiple monitors. Plus the screens would be protected then when put into a pocket, purse, or whatever.

Posted Image

Well, The Ipad Mini?

Never heard of it up until now.

*Searches*

Okay guys, I'm back and have news.

Its looks like the normal ipad.

Just smaller.

Not quite an Iphone,

But pointlessly smaller.

Okay, so the iPad is a larger iPod Touch, and the iPad Mini is a smaller iPad. Seems legit.

I was never a fan of the iPad, though, so I probably won't be getting this one.

Wait, this is real? I saw a thread about it on 4chan and sorta assumed it was just a troll because of the fact that it's just an iPod touch. Well, anyway, I think it's stupid and apple is losing their edge.

I use to think those things too until I owned a tablet. Desktops are not viable in the discussion because they are not portable, netbooks are fine but so under powered, a tablet really does handle web surfing (with multiple tabs open) and video watching better than a netbook.

Alt tab with your iPad. Furthermore we're comparing x86 to ARM. Presumably the underpower is from Intel's Atom CPU which isn't surprising. It's crap. Especially the iGPU. Intel's GMA series is notorious for being crap. However, its not as bad compared to ARM based offerings. The article is a bit old but still paints a decent picture. Intel does have plans to put the Atom CPU in tablets and phones, so I wouldn't think they'd take competition from ARM sitting down. Furthermore AMD's Brazos is more powerful in both aspects and Jaguar should continue this trend.

They also are just easier to use in situations where a true laptop form is cumbersome.

I've never found myself in this situation.

The battery life is also far superior to netbooks, I could go days on my iPad3 but my 10v will only last a few hours doing the same activities.

Battery life is a non issue for me. 5 hours of web surfing is plenty as I tend to use my phone for that and I charge my devices daily. Keep in mind that this is also on an older Atom netbook. The fancier 22nm Atoms are a little ways away.

There are options to add a real keyboard if you hate the on-screen ones, but if you really need to be doing things like photoshop or movie editing then maybe a netbook would be better. Though I'd step it up to a real laptop to do those because of power. I am still considering getting a Nexus7, I just wish it had an sd slot because 64gb is usually my minimum for portable devices.

It's not so much I need to be doing things like that as it is I need a device that allows me to be efficiently productive when I want to be productive and no tablet has demonstrated that capability yet.