Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The new iPad Mini, ideas and thoughts?

Lunalicious

So the new iPad mini has just been announced recently. It's essentially an iPod Touch XL, and it comes with a hefty price tag of $349 wing wangs. That's quite a bit, and almost double the price of MY Nexus 7 tablet. I understand that Apple is trying to combat the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. It would've worked, if it didn't have such an expensive price tag. So what are YOUR guys' thoughts and ideas on this "new innovation"?

• Brohoof 1

Apple barely ever comes out with anything original these days. This ipad mini just looks like a big ipod. If they really want to combat their competitors than they would invent something new instead of recycling old ideas.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly it is overpriced. $330 is too much for an iPad Mini. The iPad Mini is essentially a smaller iPad 2. Heck it is even INFERIOR to the cheaper 7" tablets in some ways, especially resolution. The Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, and Nook HD all have higher screen resolutions than the iPad Mini, and those start at $200. Heck I am pretty certain that the Nexus 7's Quad-core Tegra 3 chip is at least on par, maybe better, than the iPad Mini's A5 chip. Seriously, I like the idea of the iPad Mini, but I refuse to buy it at it's price.

• Brohoof 1

Not a really inspring idea. The iPad itself is the perfect size for it's purpose, making it any smaller isn't necessary when the iPod and iPhone are on the market already. Granted, we certainly don't have to purchase it, but I don't see it becoming nearly as successful as the iPad.

The new iMacs however don't look too bad.

Trying to get a good foothold in the market, as usual. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Apple's iPads and iPods and iPhones, especially my iPad III, but only a iPad II screen..? They probably could have tried a little bit harder. If it doesn't have a camera, then something sure isn't right. And at $330 as a starting price, it seems a bit out of reach to some. But so far, my iPad III hasn't failed me too badly, so I'll give the iPad Mini a chance...

Trying to get a good foothold in the market, as usual. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Apple's iPads and iPods and iPhones, especially my iPad III, but only a iPad II screen..? They probably could have tried a little bit harder. If it doesn't have a camera, then something sure isn't right. And at $330 as a starting price, it seems a bit out of reach to some. But so far, my iPad III hasn't failed me too badly, so I'll give the iPad Mini a chance...

Tbh Nightfall, I think you would be wasting your money. All the iPad Mini really is basically is an iPad 2 shrunk down to 7.9 inches and a lightning connector. There are cheaper 7 inch tablets that have better screens and such. Heck look at the iPad 4 coming out on November 2nd. That honestly is a slap to the face to those who bought an iPad 3 on launch day, which came out like 7 months ago. Seriously, what the heck Apple?!

Edited by JesstroidPrime
  • Brohoof 2

Tbh Nightfall, I think you would be wasting your money. All the iPad Mini really is basically is an iPad 2 shrunk down to 7.9 inches and a lightning connector. There are cheaper 7 inch tablets that have better screens and such. Heck look at the iPad 4 coming out on November 2nd. That honestly is a slap to the face to those who bought an iPad 3 on launch day, which came out like 7 months ago. Seriously, what the heck Apple?!

Ok, Apple, you're being nice to me, releasing a new iPad about six months after I buy an iPad III. Sure, now I feel great about putting down my money like that.

You may be right, but I know how Apple's iPads, iPods, and iPhones work better than I know how the other tablets work, so in stuff like that, I'll stay Apple. As for Macs... Naw, I'm sticking to HP for laptops and desktops.

Ok, Apple, you're being nice to me, releasing a new iPad about six months after I buy an iPad III. Sure, now I feel great about putting down my money like that.

You may be right, but I know how Apple's iPads, iPods, and iPhones work better than I know how the other tablets work, so in stuff like that, I'll stay Apple. As for Macs... Naw, I'm sticking to HP for laptops and desktops.

I respect that. I am just saying that I think the iPad Mini is overpriced and not worth yours nor anyone's money. I do like Apple's products, but I simply can't stand their business model.

• Brohoof 2

I respect that. I am just saying that I think the iPad Mini is overpriced and not worth yours nor anyone's money. I do like Apple's products, but I simply can't stand their business model.

They are successful with that business model because people always try to buy the newest model devices. It is unnecessary to buy a newer Apple model unless you are at least 2 or 3 models behind, they don't evolve and adapt to newer technology very quickly anymore.

Pfshh

It looks more like a giant iPhone, seems pretty unoriginal to me, they really need to start bringing up fresher ideas like the eyePhone from Futurama xD

• Brohoof 1

They are successful with that business model because people always try to buy the newest model devices. It is unnecessary to buy a newer Apple model unless you are at least 2 or 3 models behind, they don't evolve and adapt to newer technology very quickly anymore.

It works but it isn't right. Seriously iPad 4 is a big slap to the face to iPad 3 early adopters. All iPad 4 is basically iPad 3 with a lightning connector, dual-band wifi, and supposedly 2x processing power. Apple should be named worst company of the year.

• Brohoof 1

My thoughts, there are better options out there.

Google Nexus, cheaper, better res. and you can add 64 gb card to it.

I used to like apple, but it seems like any of their new products you have to have the battery replaced every year. So I can't see why you would want apples mini when there are higher quality tablets...

EDIT: and let's be honest, they haven't redefined a product since the Apple II, they haven't really been ahead of the game since.

Edited by Rainbow Dashey

It works but it isn't right. Seriously iPad 4 is a big slap to the face to iPad 3 early adopters. All iPad 4 is basically iPad 3 with a lightning connector, dual-band wifi, and supposedly 2x processing power. Apple should be named worst company of the year.

Why, because they know how to create a working business model that allows them to achieve profit? You have to assume whenever you buy an computer that something new will come out next year that will blow it out of the water.

My thoughts, there are better options out there.

Google Nexus, cheaper, better res. and you can add 64 gb card to it.

I used to like apple, but it seems like any of their new products you have to have the battery replaced every year. So I can't see why you would want apples mini when there are higher quality tablets...

EDIT: and let's be honest, they haven't redefined a product since the Apple II, they haven't really been ahead of the game since.

I am inclined to agree with you, but people like to purchase through names they know and are generally not very proficient with computer knowledge. Even though I personally would rather buy a PC over a Mac because I take gaming as a hobby, I still like the Mac OS better. Perhaps that is because I grew up on them and my father was buying Apple since the 80s, but the Apple OS is something I am very familiar with. People don't want to buy a Google Nexus when they already are familiar with the iPad.

Edited by Heisenbrony
  • Brohoof 1

Why, because they know how to create a working business model that allows them to achieve profit? You have to assume whenever you buy an computer that something new will come out next year that will blow it out of the water.

Yes but this isn't a year. This is 7 months. Could you imagine buying a PS3 then all of a sudden, PS4 comes out a mere 9 months later? Yeah, I would be pretty upset with Sony. And that is what Apple is doing here. Want to know how many people have the money to buy a $500 tablet in March then spend another $500 in November over bills, gas, etc? not many. And back to iPad Mini, its true that brand recognition helps sales however. Anyone who actually does research on iPad Mini and other tablets like Nexus 7 and Nook HD will know that iPad Mini is a ripoff compared to the cheaper, and in someways better, competitiors.

Edited by JesstroidPrime

Yes but this isn't a year. This is 7 months. Could you imagine buying a PS3 then all of a sudden, PS4 comes out a mere 9 months later? Yeah, I would be pretty upset with Sony. And that is what Apple is doing here. Want to know how many people have the money to buy a $500 tablet in March then spend another $500 in November over bills, gas, etc? not many. And back to iPad Mini, its true that brand recognition helps sales however. Anyone who actually does research on iPad Mini and other tablets like Nexus 7 and Nook HD will know that iPad Mini is a ripoff compared to the cheaper, and in someways better, competitiors.

No, this is more like buying a PS3 and the PS3 slim comes out 9 months later; and for the record, PC gamers have to upgrade their parts on a 6-12 month basis to keep up to the highest standards. However, those standards are not all necessary to play PC games. Lets all be honest here: we would be spending $500 extra dollars to use an new iPad with a newer cable and the ability to open Facebook up twice as fast. You don't need to upgrade every time a new model is introduced.

And I'm not really promoting the iPad mini, I still think it is a ridiculous idea and lackluster product.

Terrible. This is just the start of Apple's downward spiral, they're going to crash and burn without Jobs to save the day. Just look at the iPhone 5, and iOS Maps. You really think this is going to be better?

Why not just make the iPhone bigger like everybody's been asking for so long? No, Apple's iPhone 5 does not count as being bigger, it's not even 3 cm longer. Love the new power adapter btw, Apple. I just love buying new accessories for my phone.

Also, no 4G or even 3G? What gives? They were able to cram it into the iPad and iPhone, do they expect me to believe they they couldn't figure out how to cram it into this iPad mini? It's obvious that they're going to add it to the iPad mini 2, and then expect me to cough up for that crap-trap.

Don't even get me started on the fragmentation this is going to create within iTunes. I mean, making the iPhone bigger would cause fragmentation too, but introducing an entirely new device is just stupid. The size is awkward too. Too big for iPhone, and too small for iPad.

God, I'm so glad I don't have Apple stock. If I did, I would be PISSED.

Edited by Urdnot Shepard

I actually thought this was a joke until I looked it up. Then it got even funnier.

What happened, Apple? Why are you treating every tiny variation on technology we already have like a huge deal? First the iPhone 5 and, which was even less of an upgrade from the iPhone 4S than the latter was from the iPhone 4, now this?

I cannot think of a single reason for this thing to exist. They already have a pocket-sized tablet computer and a dinner plate-sized one. This is overkill.

The iPad Mini.... I can't find a single use case for a regular tablet. How does making it miniature give me a reason to use it? What does this give me that none of my other devices don't?

I use my Nexus 7 tablet just to sit and watch videos on Youtube, surf MLPforums, etc when i'm doing homework, lying down. It's a more compact version of using a laptop. Only more easier to set up and etc.

I want it but I will be waiting for the faster retina version that will be out next year. For now I am happy with my 4S, I just hate the battery life. I will say the screen on the iPad 3 I had earlier this year was the best I've ever seen, not even the rgb led screen my old M17x had could touch it in clarity. For now though it is overpriced hype.

I use my Nexus 7 tablet just to sit and watch videos on Youtube, surf MLPforums, etc when i'm doing homework, lying down. It's a more compact version of using a laptop. Only more easier to set up and etc.

I use my desktop for all of that. And I've gotta say, given the choice between web surfing on a tablet vs a netbook, I'll choose the netbook. If only because the multitasking capabilities on a desktop OS are far superior to that of android as of gingerbread. Jelly bean/Cotton Candy/High Fructose Corn Syrup may have fixed it but I doubt it.

I use to think those things too until I owned a tablet. Desktops are not viable in the discussion because they are not portable, netbooks are fine but so under powered, a tablet really does handle web surfing (with multiple tabs open) and video watching better than a netbook. They also are just easier to use in situations where a true laptop form is cumbersome. The battery life is also far superior to netbooks, I could go days on my iPad3 but my 10v will only last a few hours doing the same activities. There are options to add a real keyboard if you hate the on-screen ones, but if you really need to be doing things like photoshop or movie editing then maybe a netbook would be better. Though I'd step it up to a real laptop to do those because of power. I am still considering getting a Nexus7, I just wish it had an sd slot because 64gb is usually my minimum for portable devices.

Woah. I thought it was a joke until I looked it up. That's... weird. I don't really want to judge yet, tho. I had the same feeling when I first saw Ipad 1. We seriously need foldable displays now. There seems to be this schizma between "big screen" and portable that could be solved by using foldable screen...

Actually, now when I think about it... Fan design would be absolutely awesome. O_o