Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Rainbow Dash have a boyfriend?

Dashicorn

Temporary, like one episode? Sure. Long term? No.

To me, the show, specifically the interactions of the mane 6, is about friendship, not romance.

On a side note (a rather large one), please staff, don't make my ponies lesbian. I am by no means a bigot to ANYONE. I am a believer in meritocracy, not at all in the superiority of a group over another because of X, Y, Z. Plus, I do not fit into the false dichotomies that people support, such as "liberal" or "conservative." I think we are smart enough to think for ourselves and "judge" on an individual basis.

I just notice Hollywood/Entertainment Industry adds/changes characters for the sake of adding a social token (South Park made fun of this). I watch shows with complex social commentary all the time. That's fine, I just feel MLP is not the place.

AIDS at one point was socially unacceptable too. Freddy Mercury, the lead singer of Queen, got AIDS and talked about that struggle through the legendary song "Bohemian Rhapsody". Not only that, but he was a renowned homosexual too. Because of steps taking to prevent AIDS and knowing the basic causes and symptoms of the AIDS virus, the world (mostly) today doesn't look at it with disgust but with sympathy and tragedy. To put that strong "adult" topic on a show like Sesame Street took serious balls. In absolutely no way is this any different from making RD a lesbian. Conservatives spoke outright against the character, threatening to storm local PBS buildings to get the episodes off the air. But they didn't, now did they? And that character became a mainstay for a while.

If children were to learn about homosexuality at a very young age then they wouldn't view it as some sort of deformation/disorder but rather just something to tends to happen in nature.

I understand that, but I feel the situations are different. I'm 17, so my knowledge on the Freddie Mercury and Seasame street issues is very vague. Do I think that it should matter for kids to know about it, yes, but I feel it's on a different level. A disease and homosexuality are different subjects. We won't know unless they do it, but I don't think they will. Lauren Faust said her sexuality has never been hinted at and I doubt that will change. But I've been surprised before. I think that with the combined forces if the Conservatives and Religious groups might do a lot of damage. Edited by SongBrony

As much as I doubt that will ever happen, I wouldn't oppose the idea. It could make an interesting episode.

The stallion would have to be a pegasus for sure. Maybe a little competitive like Dash and that's how they meet and spend dates and stuff is having races and things like that. ;)

• Brohoof 2

In my opinion all of the Mane six should remain single because if you don't recall MLP FiM doesn't really have the type of progressive plot that romantic relationships would bring on in the main characters.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a romantic relationship. Just a playful dating episode. Like Rainbow Dash has a crush on him or something but not like them making out or anything.

No. At least not on the show because then it wouldn't be me. RD is the least interested in relationships of the Mane 6. Shipping her in canon would start a controversy. If they put her with a mare it would be even worse, not because I have anything against that but because it would officially brand her with the "lesbian" tag, which part of the fandom has already done anyway, and she would be remembered as "the gay pony" instead of for her more relevant and awesome qualities.

• Brohoof 2

It doesn't necessarily have to be a romantic relationship. Just a playful dating episode. Like Rainbow Dash has a crush on him or something but not like them making out or anything.

I know but still, maybe an episode sure but if that became part of the plot it would make the story...whats the word I'm looking for, heavier.

She did seem to enjoy dancing with that stallion from the Wonderbolts during the Canterlot Wedding ending song sequence. It would actually be interesting if Rainbow Dash the least likely to develop a crush to be the one to get infatuated. But then again maybe not, I kind of like what we have so far.

Why can't the show get into relationship stuff? They've already got Shining Armor and Cadence's marriage.

Of course, it would make every RD fanboy out there extremely jealous.

On an unrelated note, if anypony gets a boyfriend, it should be Rarity. She's the most interested in relationships.

No way, a stallion would only hold lady Rarity back! Plus her standards are way too high to begin with. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

I can imagine a girl dragon becoming infatuated with Spike but it would be a one sided love. She would chase him around like Amy Rose does to Sonic while Spike would have to keep reminding her his true love is Rarity. That would be kind of funny. Maybe for one episode.

Why can't the show get into relationship stuff? They've already got Shining Armor and Cadence's marriage.

Of course, it would make every RD fanboy out there extremely jealous.

No way, a stallion would only hold lady Rarity back! Plus her standards are way too high to begin with. :lol:

I'll be honest here. If Rainbow Dash had a boyfriend I'd be jealous. I'll admit it. It's a little sad when you think about it, but I'm just a tad bit obsessed. And yeah, Rarity does have high standards, but she's expressed interest in marriage.

Edited by Dash Is Best Pony
  • Brohoof 1

Hmm.. I'm not sure how I feel about one of the main cast having a boyfriend/girlfriend. I think that would take away the focus from friendship, so I don't feel like it's very necessary. Besides, why Rainbow Dash? I always subconsciously imagine her as being a boy, so the idea of her having a boyfriend feels weird somewhat! :P (not that there's anything wrong with homosexuality, au contraire!)

I would prefer if this question was rephrased as: "Should Rainbow Dash have a very special somepony?"

If that were the question, the answer is probably no. She isn't even the most likely of the mane 6 to have a very special somepony. I think the most likely would probably be Rarity because she is actively seeking one, and not Rainbow Dash. It just doesn't make sense in character.

The problem with Rainbow Dash and having a boyfriend or a special somepony is that, it just does not work for her. It's just hard seeing her having a boy friend, when she just does not have any intreats in love. True, love is an odd thing and can happen when ever, but RD does not seem to want that. Also, it would be hard to work one into the show and use him for more episodes.

Maybe if the show ends and it shows each of the 6 found someone then I would be fine with that, but it just seems odd for her.

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 2

Truth be told, I don't particularly like the idea of the mane6 in relationships. This is something that should really be left to fandom. Fancy Pants and Rarity being close is about it with Cheerilee and Big Macintosh taking it one step further, but in a comedic way to suit the needs of the episode. I can definitely foresee a "turd storm" brewing if they introduced relationships with the Mane6.

The "abelist" went after Derpy like a laser guided missile, and I can truly see the feminists getting PO'd about the show becoming more "girly" by having relationships and such. Though, to be honest, the feminists get ticked off about pretty much anything lately.

If it happens or not, I can't say. I think it would be cute though if Rainbow Dash developed a crush on some pony. I'd like it if she went with a girl, but Hasbro wouldn't go there. This is what I imagine the episode would be like...

Rainbow gets nervous every time the new pony in town comes by. He's cool and handsome, and RD really likes him. Every time she tries to say hello, something happens that she thinks makes her look bad. She turns to Rarity for a crash course in being lady like. In all frills and bows, she turns every pony's head except for the one she's after. Finally, she spots him at Twilight's library. Joy of joys! He's checking out books on the history of the Wonderbolts, and Daring Do's latest adventure! They stop at the out door cafe, and split an order of hay-fires while talking about the books! Maybe he's a Pegasus too, and also dreams of joining the Wonderbolts. They could end up in a romantic rivalry as they each try to out speed or out stunt each other, and then spend quiet time reading Daring Do together.

I think that would be nice.

No. My Little Pony shouldn't have any boyfriends in it (for any of the mane six anyway). It's centered on Friendship, not romance! I really hope MLP never turns into one of those shows that adds romance to have 'more drama'.

though I like CutieCindyHoney's idea...

Edited by Whimsical
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not sure what to think with Dash, but my overall head canon is that she's a tomboy who loves freedom, and ergo she'd be likely to scoff at the idea of a boyfriend, saying he'd 'probably just slow her down' (though I imagine she'd make exceptions if it was a super fast, hot and athletic stallion similar to Soarin'). It's simply that, to me, Dash is much more likely the kind of pony who likes to flirt on her own terms, and who would prefer an occasional one night stand with a stallion when she feels like it (sober or otherwise :P), instead of thinking about serious, long-term relationships like say, Rarity might.

That said, Dash doesn't need a boyfriend in the show. I'd be relatively fine with a single episode where she tries to date, but it doesn't work out for whatever reason, and she moves on. But I don't care for an ongoing relationship.

* As a sidepoint to that, I don't think the show could really accomplish that, anyway, with any of the Mane Six. The show is so focused in it's ways that adding a duo relationship dynamic would change things quite a bit, and add new material and situations that may or may not be accepted well with fans.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 1

post-6061-0-14256000-1353743048_thumb.jpg

Good god, if this happened, I would be so annoyed.

Alright, I don't really see Dashie getting one. She'd probably think being in a relationship would weigh her down. Maybe Applejack though.....or Fluttershy(sorry Dimitri)

But nah, I really doubt Hasbro would give any of them a boyfriend, until it stops being Friendship is magic and turns into love is magic -_-

No. RD hasn't shown any interest and she's fine the way she is. Also the fact that somepony who could fit the bill hasn't appeared yet, nor has the show given any hints cements this.

The closest we're getting at the moment with a Mane Six getting a coltfriend is Rarity and Fancypants. And for all we know the fact that they've kept track of each other could be related to bussiness.

but...but...if she got a boyfriend.....All my headcanon's would be ruined.....*sob*

But in all seriousness: no.

RD getting a boyfriend has been rumored and thusly shut down. Also, shipping is a large part of the fandom and I honestly don't think that the writers of the show would (or should) touch it with a ten foot pole.

Maybe Applejack though.....or Fluttershy(sorry Dimitri)

All Hasbro employees better not start their cars if that happens....they also better keep their windows and doors locked. I'm not a man to be messed with.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

I don't want romance in MLP. Cadence and Shining armor are enough.

MLP is fine the way it is now. I don't want the mane 6 hooking up, it's going to mess with the dynamics of the show.

Leave it the way it is. Not everything needs to have romance in it. If you want romance, go watch Eureka 7.

• Brohoof 1