Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Rainbow Dash have a boyfriend?

Dashicorn

I'd rather the show never went into relationships with the mane 6. I like how the brought in 2 unheard of ponies(shining/cadence) to bring in the whole love thing.

Something similar to a male Fluttershy would suit her best imo. Not quite a timid but someone she could be protective of and not someone who could upstage her in any way yet can put up with her flashy ways.

• Brohoof 3

No, I don't think that would be a good idea. I'd be afraid for the show, as it could very easily fall into some romantic drama if she had a boyfriend. It's best to keep the show relationship-free if you ask me, with the exception of Cadence and Shining Armor.

On an unrelated note, if anypony gets a boyfriend, it should be Rarity. She's the most interested in relationships.

• Brohoof 8

No.

...The character reply limit begs me for a more detailed answer. It shall have it.

This is a show about FRIENDSHIP, not RELATIONSHIP. If any of the Mane 6 gets a boyfriend, unless they were already introduced as a side character or something and are a REALLY good character, I'll probably puke on the inside. Heck, I probably would either way, but it would be more tolerable if it was done right.

And, as covered above, if anyone got into a relationship, it would be Rarity, since she seems to be most interested in that. Although, if Rarity got into a relationship with some stallion, would that crush little Spikey-Wikey's heart?

...Don't you mean coltfriend?

An example of love? we already have Cadance and Shining Armor for that, if you want an example, she should have a girlfriend.

Yes, I like the idea of RD being a lesbian. No, I'm not making fun of gay stereotypes. I'm an LGBT supporter and I think it would be awesome for Dashie to be one of the few positively portrayed gay characters in fiction.

I don't approve of people calling her a lesbian as a joke, or assuming she must be one because she fits the stereotype, and I approve even less of people who want her to be straight just because they're tired of people calling her a lesbian or have a problem with gay relationships on TV.

• Brohoof 2

but what about all those sad and lonely OC's that like to be shipped with RD think of the fanfic crushed by this idea.... i want this to happen, but its not likely for any of the mane six to be paired up with any stallions (unless they rely want to go the G2 rout of mlp)

• Brohoof 1

I could see Rainbow Dash having a crush for someone like one of the Wonderbolts. It could be like how Spike likes Rarity, but it's not really a big thing.

I don't think an actual relationship should be expected. For Rainbow Dash or any of the Mane 6. I mean, it's their call, not ours, but I still don't think that anything more than a simple crush will be implemented for any of the "single" characters put in place.

There are already love examples, for lack of a better phrase, put into the show. There's Shining Armor and Cadence, and hell, I'd even through in the Cake family. Even though their role is more based on their kids. So I don't know if Rainbow Dash or any of the Mane 6 will get thrown into a serious relationship.

Also, this is just my opinion, and I understand people will not agree with me, but I'm not much of a fan of her being lesbian. And it's not cause I don't like gays or anything. Hell, I have a few gay and lesbian friends and we hang out a lot. It's just I don't like when people call Rainbow Dash gay just because she fits the stereotype. Some (if not most) people that think she should be gay think that because she is athletic. (And again I'm not targeting everyone, it's just in my experience that's who I've encountered.) But that's kind of what bothers me, that's like calling a girl that's really good at soccer, or volleyball, or any other sport lesbian just cause she's athletic. And plus, Lauren said that she isn't lesbian...

Edited by Australianfries
  • Brohoof 6

Romance between Rainbow Dash and another pony, be it stallion or mare, would put her out of character, similar to the Mare do well episode that hardy anyone liked. I think the same applies to the rest of the mane 6 (the mane 6 are the ponies we know the most), and I agree with other users that introducing 2 new ponies, already known to be engaged.

This is the reason I don't really like OC x Mane 6 shippings.

Should RD have a boyfriend?

My inner heart: YES AND IT'S ME!

My brain: No. The show already has the aspect of love in it with Shining Armor and Cadance. Plus I don't think there are many ponies in Ponyville who are willing to handle her show-offy ways. I mean I could, but that's cause I'm kind of the same way. Most ponies aren't like that and probably wouldn't want a long term relationship. But if they do try to make her have a crush, like someone said above me, it would definitely be somepony from the Wonderbolts. It would make sense to me if that happened. But I still think she shouldn't have a blatant and obvious super special somepony.

• Brohoof 1

I agree 100% with everything Australianfries said.

I would prefer they kept the relationship stuff out of the show, or at least not add anything more beyond what is already there. We have an example of love that already makes sense and fits, not sure how they could work something else in that fits as well and deals with any of the mane 6. If anything I feel tossing one of them into a relationship would just complicate and screw up the show. It is a kids show after all, not some FOX Animation Domination garbage. Portraying good life lessons about friendship is a lot wiser and easier to accomplish within a kids cartoon than trying to show relationship dealings beyond what they already provide with SA and Cadence.

• Brohoof 1

YES! ME! MAKE IT HAPPEN HASBRO! I HAVE MONEY!

I'm actually terribly conflicted when it comes to Rainbow and romance. One the one hand, I ship her with Pinkie Pie and if that became canon I would freak out. Of course, 98% of the fandom would hate it and the moral guardians would summon down all the powers of their collective rage and butthurt on the show, so it probably shouldn't happen.

On the other hand, I really want Dash to be straight as a big middle finger to everyone who just assumed she was gay because of her mane and attitude. She did dance with Soarin' , but as he is one of her idols if that turned into a relationship there would be a weird flavor to it that I wouldn't like.

And the idea of what Dash would act like if she had a crush makes me chuckle in anticipation. I have NO idea what she would do, but that already sounds like a hilarious episode.

Overall though, I agree with the above people who said that this is a show about friendship and it should stay out of romance as much as possible, so I suppose that I'll say that in show Rainbow shouldn't get a boyfriend

UNLESS ITS ME!

• Brohoof 2

I agree 100% with everything Australianfries said.

I would prefer they kept the relationship stuff out of the show, or at least not add anything more beyond what is already there. We have an example of love that already makes sense and fits, not sure how they could work something else in that fits as well and deals with any of the mane 6. If anything I feel tossing one of them into a relationship would just complicate and screw up the show. It is a kids show after all, not some FOX Animation Domination garbage. Portraying good life lessons about friendship is a lot wiser and easier to accomplish within a kids cartoon than trying to show relationship dealings beyond what they already provide with SA and Cadence.

Well, I'm glad you share the same views as I do. I mean, there's already an example of love in there. A simple crush episode would be good, but I don't think a full up relationship would do any good.

P.S. Check your messages, I sent you the first edit of your sig.

On the other hand, I really want Dash to be straight as a big middle finger to everyone who just assumed she was gay because of her mane and attitude. She did dance with Soarin' , but as he is one of her idols if that turned into a relationship there would be a weird flavor to it that I wouldn't like.

And the idea of what Dash would act like if she had a crush makes me chuckle in anticipation. I have NO idea what she would do, but that already sounds like a hilarious episode.

Yup, I was just thinking about that. Totally agree, that would usher in a new...level... to the show that I wouldn't really like.

Edited by Australianfries
  • Brohoof 1

And what's so wrong if the show decided to make RD a lesbian? I mean, yeah, it's kind of quirky in the sense that the stereotype of "rainbow mane = gay" but it wouldn't be the most terrible idea in the world. I think the kid demographic of the show should need to know about the gay culture so other individuals like Conservative parents or other friends don't spread lies in their head or get the wrong idea.

• Brohoof 1

And what's so wrong if the show decided to make RD a lesbian? I mean, yeah, it's kind of quirky in the sense that the stereotype of "rainbow mane = gay" but it wouldn't be the most terrible idea in the world. I think the kid demographic of the show should need to know about the gay culture so other individuals like Conservative parents or other friends don't spread lies in their head or get the wrong idea.

But the only problem with that is how those Conservative parents would react when they saw that on a kids show. They would flip out, prevent their kids from watching it, and then they would try to sue (Conservatives try crazy shit) and Hasbro would get a bad name from news channels like Fox and other conservative stations. There would be a bad name on Hasbro and MLP because of it. I'd be a little disappointed if they made her a lesbian, not because I'm against gays, but because I feel they should leave a ponies sexuality out with the mane six. The repercussions would be too much for Hasbro to deal with if they did that
  • Brohoof 4

But the only problem with that is how those Conservative parents would react when they saw that on a kids show. They would flip out, prevent their kids from watching it, and then they would try to sue (Conservatives try crazy shit) and Hasbro would get a bad name from news channels like Fox and other conservative stations. There would be a bad name on Hasbro and MLP because of it. I'd be a little disappointed if they made her a lesbian, not because I'm against gays, but because I feel they should leave a ponies sexuality out with the mane six. The repercussions would be too much for Hasbro to deal with if they did that

Sesame Street added a puppet who was HIV positive and that got a very warm reception from parents around the world, including the United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan. If the subject of AIDS gets a comfortable discussion into the show that isn't too direct, I'm pretty sure making RD a lesbian wouldn't be half as bad either. Of course Conservatives are going to send hate letters but who gives a shit? You're not going to make social statements or make children see the world with open eyes if you keep letting ignorant fools like them push you around with censoring such material that is really harmless.

Edited by AegisReflector

No I would not want that. Not Rainbow Dash. I don't know why but nah not her. If one of them would get a boyfriend I'd wait it to be Applejack. It would make quite a cool episode, AJ falling in love with some colt and gets no time for her friends. Then at the end we'll get a "Dear Princess Celestia, today I learned that you need to spend time with your friends. Even if there's a special somepony you like a little bit extra."

• Brohoof 1

I would really like it if Soarin starting dating her, but if he did a lot of fighting might happen in the brony community between the shipping of Spitfire and Soarin and Rainbow Dash and Soarin. And that is the last thing we need in this kind of caring and loving community we have here. :)

Sesame Street added a puppet who was HIV positive and that got a very warm reception from parents around the world, including the United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan. If the subject of AIDS gets a comfortable discussion into the show that isn't too direct, I'm pretty sure making RD a lesbian wouldn't be half as bad either. Of course Conservatives are going to send hate letters but who gives a shit? You're not going to make social statements or make children see the world with open eyes if you keep letting ignorant fools like them push you around with censoring such material that is really harmless.

I didn't know that about Sesame Street. But HIV and Homosexuality are two different things. One is a medical disease while the other is, at least where I live, socially unacceptable. I'm all for gay rights, don't get me wrong, but I know a lot of conservatives who do crazy things. I'm not going to be bothered if they send hate mail, but Hasbro, while a great company, is still a business. It's the same as the Derpy change. Mental disabilities are real and those with it tend to be shunned from most social events (again from where I live and what I see) when the messages and emails came from those complaining they changed it. While Hasbro meant no harm with Derpy, some took it offensive. It will be the same with RD as a lesbian, but on a wider scale because it deals with the sexuality. Conservatives and religious fanatics will go crazy over it and will make it a bigger deal than it actually is. Hasbro will mean no harm by it, but the groups who are offended will view them as a terrible company. It's not how I want things to go, but it's how things will probably go.

I didn't know that about Sesame Street. But HIV and Homosexuality are two different things. One is a medical disease while the other is, at least where I live, socially unacceptable.

AIDS at one point was socially unacceptable too. Freddy Mercury, the lead singer of Queen, got AIDS and talked about that struggle through the legendary song "Bohemian Rhapsody". Not only that, but he was a renowned homosexual too. Because of steps taking to prevent AIDS and knowing the basic causes and symptoms of the AIDS virus, the world (mostly) today doesn't look at it with disgust but with sympathy and tragedy. To put that strong "adult" topic on a show like Sesame Street took serious balls. In absolutely no way is this any different from making RD a lesbian. Conservatives spoke outright against the character, threatening to storm local PBS buildings to get the episodes off the air. But they didn't, now did they? And that character became a mainstay for a while.

If children were to learn about homosexuality at a very young age then they wouldn't view it as some sort of deformation/disorder but rather just something to tends to happen in nature.

EDIT: AIDS and homosexuality tend to have a very strong connection with each other when it comes to the media. I'm just saying. People used to expel students with AIDS from school and religion frowns upon AIDS calling it the devil's work.

Edited by AegisReflector