Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming When you look at it long enough, Fallout is pretty sad.

Yes-Man

To anyone that has never played Fallout 3, or more specifically, any Fallout game: Play it now! You'll never get that first feel of the world ever again. Making mistakes like shooting someone in Megaton and having the whole town go after you only to realize there is no way out and you have to load back to your vault save because that was the last place you saved it, seeing your first deathclaw come running at you. I could go on forever...

That feeling wasn't prevalent in any of the Fallouts(other than Fallout 3), unless you paid attention to it.

The Fallouts(other than 3) didn't feel like a post-apocalyptic universe to me, really. They felt post-post-apocalyptic. Although, the Lonesome Road DLC for NV definitely had a very desolate, hopeless, and depressing atmosphere and overall feel.

For me, the most depressing and saddening part of the univers in the Fallouts was what the present conditions were, not nostalgia about how they must've been in the past.

That feeling wasn't prevalent in any of the Fallouts(other than Fallout 3), unless you paid attention to it.

The Fallouts(other than 3) didn't feel like a post-apocalyptic universe to me, really. They felt post-post-apocalyptic. Although, the Lonesome Road DLC for NV definitely had a very desolate, hopeless, and depressing atmosphere and overall feel.

For me, the most depressing and saddening part of the univers in the Fallouts was what the present conditions were, not nostalgia about how they must've been in the past.

Yeah, that's why Fallout 3 was and still is the best Fallout game. Fallout: New Vegas was a great game, but just not a great Fallout Game.

• Brohoof 1

Personally the sadness and emotion in Fallout is what made me enjoy the series so much to begin with. I've always been a sucker for darker stories. As a writer I know one thing that makes a story good and that is emotion, and sadness and depression is one of the best ones. Fallout makes you chose the lesser of two evils on many occasions, and these hard decisions mixed with the harsh environment and depressing conditions that makes the series so appealing.

The most depressing part for me is the ghouls. They have been alive for centuries, many from before the bombs fell. They have had it harder than anyone else in the whole series, and yet they are treated like dirt. 

Edited by thesteampunkninja

Yeah, that's why Fallout 3 was and still is the best Fallout game. Fallout: New Vegas was a great game, but just not a great Fallout Game.

I disagree completely. It is one of the main reasons I really didn't like Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was basically Oblivion set in a 1950's America-esque post-apocalyptic setting with the title of "Fallout" slapped onto it. It was the first game of the series I played, and definitely a least favourite(although, I haven't played Brotherhood or Tactics, and I have heard those were pretty bad).

I suppose it is preference, really. I prefer an atmosphere and overall feel that is distinctly Fallout, while you may prefer FO3's with a post-apocalyptic atmosphere and environmental-storytelling(something that I unfortunately never bought into).

Anyway, that is a discussion for another thread, I suppose.

I disagree completely. It is one of the main reasons I really didn't like Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was basically Oblivion set in a 1950's America-esque post-apocalyptic setting with the title of "Fallout" slapped onto it. It was the first game of the series I played, and definitely a least favourite(although, I haven't played Brotherhood or Tactics, and I have heard those were pretty bad).

I suppose it is preference, really. I prefer an atmosphere and overall feel that is distinctly Fallout, while you may prefer FO3's with a post-apocalyptic atmosphere and environmental-storytelling(something that I unfortunately never bought into).

Yeah, it was the desolate wasteland you could explore, with all the little "houses" that people crated from say, a broken bridge and a few pieces of wood/scrap metal. It makes you feel really sorry for the people. Although I can tell you right now that the story and RPG  elements were very poor in this game, and nothing like the originals or Fallout: NV, but I still prefer Fallout 3 for the desolate environment and run-down feel it has. But as you said, it's all preference.

Glad I'm not the only one here to say this.

Fallout 3 is kinda the odd one out, so you can't really say its a better Fallout. Better at conveying a post-apocalyptic world, maybe, but it's frequently singled out for not feeling like a Fallout game. Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Anyway, I love the way the series takes the post apocalyptic world and puts a darkly humorous spin on it. I never really felt sad, but most of the things that seem to have made others sad made me think "hey, cool! That's a really nice touch, very dark! This game continues to be awesome!".

Also, I almost always play evil characters in Fallout and go on random murder sprees, steal everything possible, piss off everyone I can without dying, and just generally be a huge dick, so I guess I'm just a cruel, cold-hearted bastard compared to the rest of you :P

• Brohoof 1

Finding that oasis in Fallout 3 was strange. Like you see GREEN plants only in that part of the game. I just remember it being really disconcerting and looking a lot like Oblivion.

This is probably one of the best trailers of this generation. It just screams atmosphere and tension. I love it.

That's exactly why I adore the entire franchise: no game I've ever played has such an atmosphere except maybe Bioshock. Even in the original 2 Fallout games (Fallout 2 is best Fallout), you still get that sense of desolation, desperation, darkness, and humor in there. Plus, Fallout 2 has a hell of a soundtrack played while exploring the world.

Though the music in Fallout 3 was absolutely fantastic. I love the oldies, and it was such an incredible plus to Fallout 3.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Fallout has always depicted a pretty damn sob story about the greed of humanity and our eventual destruction, by the very same weapons we made, in order to protect ourselves.

Even before the Great War, behind the curtains, was a gritty and cold reality. That is, if you sink deep enough into the actual lore.