Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I am a noob at merch...

StormzInvader

As you can tell from the title, yes I am. I don't live in the US and I rarely visit. It just so happens that I will visit this year.

Where do you think I can go to buy these merch?

Things I want: (In order)

1. Shirts/ Jackets

2. Figurines

I don't want toys like brushing ones or anything like that because (excuse me) they look like G3 to me.  :blink:  I'm sorry if I offended anybody but it just looks like that to me.

Anyway, I've been recommended to go to Hot Topic. Do you think I can find a lot of these stuff there?

(I can't online shop because I am not allowed to apparently. I don't have my own credit card and will not have one until like 2 years from now where I am in college)

Hot Topic is your best bet for those items in a physical store. They have the Funko vinyl figures (Derpy, Rainbow Dash, with Fluttershy and Dr. Hooves coming out Feb 22), tons of shirts and hoodies, and plenty of other odds and ends.

And come now, G4 brushables look nothing like the creepy ones from past gens. And you don't buy them to brush them and play with them, you buy them to challenge yourself at making them look like they do in the show then display them on a shelf like an action figure. Or you do like a lot of people do and buy custom mane and tail kits to replace the brushable hair with show accurate molds. Otherwise there really isn't much choice for figures outside the Funko ones that are coming out slowly.

20130122_184652.jpg

And the blind bag figures are for giving your old transformers some shock troopers!

20130122_185216.jpg

And uh... that isn't dust all over Hound, that is residue from Megatron and Shockwave firing their weapons. <.<

Edited by Puddlejumper
  • Brohoof 1

Oh yea, you'll find them in those cities for sure. They are in malls usually but might have their own stores in the big towns like NY.

Do most malls have Hot Topic stores? I'll be staying in the CT area more than San Francisco or New York because that's where I'll be staying for about 85% of the time I visit.

I personally don't have much of anything, but my friend gets his stuff at Hot Topic and they seem to have a pretty good selection.

Do most malls have Hot Topic stores? I'll be staying in the CT area more than San Francisco or New York because that's where I'll be staying for about 85% of the time I visit.

I can't say for sure that most malls do, but my local mall does, and think it's a pretty common thing to have in a mall so most likely the answer is yes. If not, they might have stuff on shockhound.com, since that website is part of the Hot Topic brand.

From what I've heard, you'll definitely save money by buying them in person at Hot Topic, rather than pay international shipping.

http://community.hottopic.com/storelocator Pick a state and see if there are any near the places you'd visit. If there's a lot in your area, call a particular store beforehand to check if that place has what you want in stock.

Browse through the My Little Pony section of the website. Most of these items are in store. (And if you don't find them, ask an employee if they have any in the back. There's no way you'd want to miss your opportunity! ;P)

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/PopCulture/MyLittlePony.jsp

If you want blind bag figurines , you're better off stopping at a Target or Walmart or Kmart , hot topic's are super expensive.( usually you can get blind bags for 2-3$ , at hottopic they're 5.50$) However if you want bigger nonbrushable ponies then Hot Topic is where they are (although the ones you can color/decorate are at Walmart/Target. Tshirt and such will mostly be at Hot Topic. You should be able to go on their website and search the are codes that you will be in during your stay. I"m sure you'll be able to find at least one of each relatively close to where you are staying. You might want to check out each area's store because different areas/cities will have different items.

Yes, that is normally how it works sadly.

I say sadly because those of us without a local store anymore are limited to just that small selection. Like I know for a fact the Invader Zim section of the website is very very small but in-store there is quite a bit more. Seemed like there was also much more pony stuff the last time I was at a store around X-Mas time. Of course Hot Topic isn't the only store to do this.

Honestly I don't think there are any other brick and mortar stores that sell the kind of merch you are after, at least I haven't really seen any shirts or anything anywhere else other than online.

You could get the Design-A-Pony toys Hasbro has put out in places like Target or Wal-Mart. They only have Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy in them as well though. Blind bags are, as already said, much cheaper to get at these places as well rather than Hot Topic.

Here is the Design-A-Pony Rainbow Dash next to the Funko Rainbow Dash. I honestly prefer the Hasbro one, better looking mold, no derp eyes from the front, and no blue in her bangs since you have to paint her mane/tail/wings yourself (mine is currently WIP). As well as a normal Applejack brushable, Nightmare Moon brushable, and blind bag Rarity just so you can see size differences.

20130125_050043.jpg

20130125_050118.jpg

20130125_050312.jpg

huh. I just noticed that the Hasbro D-A-P has the cutie mark on backwards... *facehoof*

Edited by Puddlejumper

(edited)

Honestly I don't think there are any other brick and mortar stores that sell the kind of merch you are after, at least I haven't really seen any shirts or anything anywhere else other than online.

You could get the Design-A-Pony toys Hasbro has put out in places like Target or Wal-Mart. They only have Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy in them as well though. Blind bags are, as already said, much cheaper to get at these places as well rather than Hot Topic.

Here is the Design-A-Pony Rainbow Dash next to the Funko Rainbow Dash. I honestly prefer the Hasbro one, better looking mold, no derp eyes from the front, and no blue in her bangs since you have to paint her mane/tail/wings yourself (mine is currently WIP). As well as a normal Applejack brushable, Nightmare Moon brushable, and blind bag Rarity just so you can see size differences.

20130125_050043.jpg

20130125_050118.jpg

20130125_050312.jpg

It sounds pretty cool! I might buy some toys... But I'm not really into those stuff because I am a lot into electronics.

Mind if I ask what is a blind bag? I am so noob at toys... I only follow gaming news. :(

Edited by Stormz

Aw, don't call yourself a noob. *hugz* xD

Anyways, I'm guessing alot of ppl will suggest Hot Topic. Well actually, I'm like you. I don't have hot topic and there isn't much shirts and toys around in my country. eBay? Maybe? I got a AWESOME backpack from there that has derpy but transforms into RD :3 :D It's so cute.

It sounds pretty cool! I might buy some toys... But I'm not really into those stuff because I am a lot into electronics.

Mind if I ask what is a blind bag? I am so noob at toys... I only follow gaming news. :(

Oh trust me, I'm into electronics big as well. Should see the gaming PC I just built myself and hear of all the goodies I have had over the past few years or still do have. Other than my custom rig, my newest "toy" is the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 so I'm usually on the up and up with electronics. No reason not to have actual toys either though the way I see things. I'm such a geek that if I didn't have a few toys scattered around my desk people would find it weird I'm sure.

A blind bag is just that. A bag that contains something which you can't see what it is, so you are blind to what you are getting inside. There is a way to decode them though if you want a certain pony. http://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4/IndexBB.html

Oh trust me, I'm into electronics big as well. Should see the gaming PC I just built myself and hear of all the goodies I have had over the past few years or still do have. Other than my custom rig, my newest "toy" is the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 so I'm usually on the up and up with electronics. No reason not to have actual toys either though the way I see things. I'm such a geek that if I didn't have a few toys scattered around my desk people would find it weird I'm sure.

A blind bag is just that. A bag that contains something which you can't see what it is, so you are blind to what you are getting inside. There is a way to decode them though if you want a certain pony. http://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4/IndexBB.html

So putting it into CoD context, it is just like a Care Package? You buy one but don't know what is exactly inside? Am I right? Sounds cool though!

heh Yea, care package is fitting.

The nice thing with the blind bag ponies is they are small, Rarity in that pic is only about two inches (51mm) tall, and have molded manes.

heh Yea, care package is fitting.

The nice thing with the blind bag ponies is they are small, Rarity in that pic is only about two inches (51mm) tall, and have molded manes.

Sweet! Now, I can't wait for April to come by! I'm coming by on April and sadly not on Bronycon. I can't go to Bronycon anyway because it is rather expensive and far away. :(

you do like a lot of people do and buy custom mane and tail kits to replace the brushable hair with show accurate molds. 

img-1113082-1-20130122_184652.jpg

WOW! Where does one find these kits you speak of  :o 

Well THAT molded Applejack is actually an official Hasbro one that was released early in the shows run. They were not popular at the time so no more were made outside of the gift set she comes in. It comes with AJ, Twilight, Pinkie, Celestia, and Spike. I only have AJ and Twilight, gave the rest to a friend.

5743107386_7ca86b7ac7_z.jpg

The kits you can buy to put on brushables I was talking about are done by fans, my favorites are made by http://otakusquirrel.deviantart.com/ and he does all the mane 6 as well as quite a few backgrounds. He is currently closed but I am watching like a hawk for him to open sales because I have several I want to put the molded manes on. You can find him at conventions usually selling both kits and completed ponies. He isn't the only source for them though, just my favorite.