CMC pencil drawing

FancyPhoenix

Okay, so I thought I'd share this one with you guys. Once again I caught myself drawing, and to be completely honest, I think this is my best one yet. I did a little blunder on Scootaloo's hair at first, and due to a lack of a good eraser, the fixes left the right eye - hairline area a bit smudgy. But I'm still happy with it :mellow:

I will most likely put some colors on this just as soon as I can afford to get any sort of coloring pencils... I have absolutely nothing to color with at the moment :(

post-10934-0-13493100-1359148048_thumb.jpg

Can you tell me your thoughts, opinions, hints on how to improve, etc. etc. Anything at all and I'll be glad B)

EDIT: Oh, and yes, the centers of the eyes are supposed to be black, I just didn't want to do it with a pencil...

You can check out my other drawings on these topics:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/44407-opinions-on-my-drawing-oc-design/#entry1049543

http://mlpforums.com/topic/45002-a-few-more-drawings-by-me-opinionssuggestions/#entry1062175

Edited by Jamza
  • Brohoof 8

Very cuteand I love the CMC for advice the smile of scootaloo is a bit off and apple blooms left arm looks kind of ackward 
Sweetie bell got one more curl I mean left from her horn no?
Also the horn should be striped
make scootaloo's eyes smaller and appleblooms eyes less oval

And the nosestrills of applebloom are kinda thick but aside of that I don't see any things I can give critique at

OH mayby make the ear of sweetie bell bigger?

• Brohoof 1

Oh darn  :o  Totally forgot to do the stripes on the horn... I was thinking about doing that at one point, but I guess it slipped my mind  :blink:

About the additional curl on Sweetie... I dunno... Doesn't she only have two?

I agree on AB's left leg. Should be a bit thinner.

Thanks for the comment!  :wub:  I think I'll fix these if I ever get to coloring it. 

Made some changes to the previous one.  ;) Changed Scoots' eyes a bit, Made the lines on Swetie's horn, changed AB's left leg a little, small stuff like that...

Here's the updated version

post-10934-0-56889000-1359201968_thumb.jpg

Hello!

If this is actually, hand drawn, on a table, then it's very nice!

I don't want to seem mean, but i just have to ask this question. Did you place the paper over a possible reference on the computer screen? Sorry if this question may seem insulting at first, but i'm just curious. It's strange how well this looks, even withouth a possible skeleton. Unless you are extremely talented!

Good job!

Edited by Concord
  • Brohoof 1

Thanks for the comment Concord :)

Yes, this is hand drawn. I have just a normal sketch pad of white paper, my trusted pencil and my crappy eraser  ^_^

As for the reference... No. I didn't put the paper on the computer screen and draw "through" it (like I'm assuming you meant). I did have a reference picture in front of me almost the entire time though. I'm trying to learn to draw without the references, but I really suck at poses. My process of drawing is usually as follows:

1. Find a picture I like

2. See it through and try to memorize the basic poses and stuff

3. Close the picture

4. Draw what I remember

5. Open the reference picture again and finish up what I missed/screwed up

6. Draw the faces (I really suck at faces if I don't have the picture in front of me at all times)

So... yeah.. Even though I don't just copy the original picture (anymore), I still have it in front of me almost through the entire drawing process... Ask me to draw something original and I'll probably never succeed  :blush:

The small revisions already mentioned oughtta do it.  And Apple Bloom's long mane should hang down behind her left shoulder due to the way she's leaning. 

I think you're on to something very good here.  :)

• Brohoof 1

Thanks to both of you Chaotics  :P  A brohoof back at you Fluttershy *(\

Hmm... That mane... Yeah, you're right.. I think I drew it there at some point, but without the colors it made Blooms look a bit plump  :lol:  Even now I think it looks a bit like she's shrugging.  :blink:

Taking the leap from drawing with a reference to drawing without one, is an incredibly scary thought at the most confident of times. Or is that just me? 

I've been drawing by hand for a while now, started off drawing Manga under Mark Crilley's YouTube tutelage, then when I became a brony, my drawings shifted over to ponies...of course. Now, I like to think myself i'm fairly good, but there are still so many things I get wrong every time without a reference. I can guarantee you now, unless i'm specifically thinking about it actively for the entire drawing, I will forget the ears. I WILL. Also, drawing a face at any angle other than facing the viewer, or side on perspective is something I have yet to attempt master. 

While drawing poses can be horrifying without a reference, it's always good to just give it a go. I tried it one day, I couldn't get a reference from anywhere (all the computers had been taken up -.- ) so I just decided to start doodling. About an hour later I had a pretty good pose of a pony...without a head. Completely from my mind. 

Guess what im trying to say with all this is that you just sometimes have to take the plunge. You may surprise yourself, and try not to fall into the trap I landed myself in a while back - draw with a reference, go back and correct mistakes - almost copy the reference exactly. It warrants no improvements on the part of the artist.

I would throw in some constructive criticism here, but that would just be putting a hat on an umbrella, you know what I mean? Overall though it's quite good, and I would suggest getting a better eraser ;) 
Practice practice practice! 

Edited by Creeping Dusk
  • Brohoof 1

This is really good. Did you use a source? There's not much wrong with this, except that maybe the front legs are too short. I would also say maybe color the ponies, or at least their eyes, because non-colored eyes are....well, just imagine if your eyes were all white except a couple of lines here and there....yeah. Scootaloo's hair looks a bit small on her, too. But that's all. 

I'd really like seeing this colored~! (Yes, I know you have no drawing tools. But as soon as you get some...^-^)

• Brohoof 1

Okay, so I know I said I wouldn't color the eyes until I managed to get some proper coloring pencils, but I was extremely bored today so I did it anyway  :P

Here's the thing with the colored pupils.

post-10934-0-33491100-1359234045_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments Creeping and Strawberry  B)  I appreciate all the advice I can get. Hopefully I'll get to try making the poses myself soon.

I gotta give some advice. This is what I do.

1. Get my needed supplies. ( Drawing pad, pencil, eraser)

2. Go to dragoart.com

3. Find the tut to show the body parts of the pony.

4. Copy them down.

5. Close the window.

6. Draw whatever pony.

Another Way

1.Go on kindle fire. ( Use whatever you have)

2. Go to deviantart.

3. Download the pictures you wan. ( I prefer Cartoonlion, she is epic. If you something err, smexy, look up Mature Ponies)

4. Go to the picture app.

5.Click downloaded

6. Pick the pic you want to draw.

7. Make sure you change it up so no one thinks your stealing.

Last Way

1.Go to google.

2. Search what type of mlp pictures. ( pony,human,anime,filly,etc.)

3. Find a photo you want.

4. Click it and enlarge it.

5. Change it up a bit so your not stealing. ( Only if it is like a certain person who made it, if you draw from dragoart, Dawn doesnt actually care because that is what the site is for.)

That's I have for drawing tips. Oh, and one last thing, if you use a camera to put your picture online, it will not always come out in good quality, try using a scanner.

One last tiny thing! If you want to do anime human mlp, go to youtube and search markcrilley. Then look up on his channel how to draw anime head. ( female or male)

Now I'm done. Your welcome for the advice. ;)

Edited by ~RainbowDash~
  • Brohoof 2

Adorbs! I love the way you did their eyes! :wub: It would look way cooler if you colored them though. I think you should just make the outline thicker, but othe rthan that this is really good. Besides, I can't really draw anyway, so what am I doing giving advice? :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Aw, thank you so much Shaky and Beatrix :3 I promise I will definitely color this at some point just as soon as I get some good pencils and a bit of practice. I don't want to ruin this by making it the first picture I ever color, because frankly, this is the best I've ever done. I might start with coloring some of my older drawings, or I'll just draw something new, but this one I want to make perfect.

Okay, so I know I said I wouldn't color the eyes until I managed to get some proper coloring pencils, but I was extremely bored today so I did it anyway  :P

Here's the thing with the colored pupils.

attachicon.gifIMG_0019.JPG

Thanks for the comments Creeping and Strawberry  B)  I appreciate all the advice I can get. Hopefully I'll get to try making the poses myself soon.

Looks much better now though scootaloo's right eye looks kinda off still because the part of the eye that normally should be colored is very close to the "side"

Also note the black circle where the eye is in (outer circle hope you follow me) doesn't need to be full uhm... how to explain

Like in this drawing of me http://mlpforums.com/topic/47330-first-drawing-of-derpy-with-a-cute-scarf-p/#entry1119555

The eye is everything but good but you see what I tried to explain before

But I dunno how it would work out anyways with a pencil drawing because my drawing is colored in of course

• Brohoof 1