Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv That Guy With The Glasses

Kaneki

Sad day for a segment of TGWTG fans... Welshy is leaving the site, and appears to be leaving the internet completely. His Twitter is gone, and his most recent vlog basically flat-out says that he'll do one more video for TGWTG and that's the last we'll see of him.

I'll miss his stuff, his videos were all extremely well-done.

That's too bad, I haven't seen a whole lot of his stuff, but I really enjoyed his Scream retrospective.  Gotta wonder what happened there...

That's too bad, I haven't seen a whole lot of his stuff, but I really enjoyed his Scream retrospective.  Gotta wonder what happened there...

It sounds like there's some personal things going on for him, but he's not going into detail so it sounds like we'll probably never find out for sure. Here's his vlog talking about his decision.

http://blip.tv/welshy/quick-vlog-going-into-detail-on-my-tumblr-post-6588984

(edited)

I pretty much just visit for the Nostalgia Critic and now Freeman's Mind (it was added not too long ago). I used to watch Atop the Fourth Wall but for some reason I stopped. Also, I don't really like the new non review parts the Nostalgia Critic does now.

Edit: I think I should add, I think his Jurassic Park review had the right amount of extra stuff. You know, like the older videos.

Edited by Mr. Nutt™

I used to watch NC's stuff and got pretty comfortable with the way he left, even though I couldn't stand the new show he started. Then he came back. And brought along the people from that other show. And now his show is unwatchable to me. The sketches are pointless and his jokes just drag on through multiple episodes in a very annoying way.

I'm still a big fan of people like Linkara, Film Brain, The Cinema Snob, Phelous, Bennett the Sage, Obscurus Lupa and even Spoony despite his abrupt and embarrassing removal from the website. I used to watch a lot of others on there (Todd in the Shadows, Nostalgia Chick, etc), but their cynicism just became too much for me to deal with.

(edited)

I used to watch NC's stuff and got pretty comfortable with the way he left, even though I couldn't stand the new show he started. Then he came back. And brought along the people from that other show. And now his show is unwatchable to me. The sketches are pointless and his jokes just drag on through multiple episodes in a very annoying way.

Different strokes, I guess. I didn't like his 'demo reel' bit either, but I find what he's done to the NC revamp to be quite refreshing, considering his old style was beginning to reek of "same shit, different episode" as far as I'm concerned. (Also, I can't stand Phelous. Guy's monotone drawl and "trying too hard" sense of sarcasm really grate on my sanity whenever I try to watch his vids.)

Also, I feel the need to share this:

FUCKIN' PONIES!

Edited by Lowline

I find NC hilarious, but I don't think he's a particularly good critic(heck, Rob outdoes him pretty much every Sibling Rivalry). Chick is nowhere near as funny, but a far better critic.

Linkara is about as funny as NC, and a more solid critic in my opinion.

As for the new skits... eh. Some are great, some are not, but all of them are long, so when they don't work for someone it's a lot more noticeable.

On the "Funny reviewer/Bad Critic" list, I also place Yahtzee. He's incredibly biased against certain genres and often gets things outright wrong, but there's no denying he can be incredibly funny at times.

His funniest screwups are in his Brawl review. He manages to contradict himself by stating first that the game doesn't reward skill, then talk about people becoming more skilled than others and being smug about it. And then he call one of the games that rewards buttonmashing with death a button-masher game.

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I love the Nostalgia Critic, both the classic and current show, he still has some funny yet objective moments, some may see it as over-the-top, I see it as getting to the point, and venting the dissatisfaction about the movie, so the audience see why the film is horrid. It was also on his site, I first saw the brony fandom, a lot of bronies are NC fans, and used many memes from the Nostalgia Critc and ponified them, thus if it wasn't for the Nostalgia Critic, I would not have seen My Little Pony Friendship is Magic nor made aware of the fan base, I also like to watch Film Brain, Linkara, Phelous, the Cinema Snob, Mike JTV, Paw, Suede and Obsurus Lupa, they are all entertaining and are fine reviewers, they each have their brand of humour, so I have come to like many things on That Guy with the Glasses website, I am a loyal Nostalgia Critic fan, and I will continue to watch his show for years to come. 

Edited by Emperor Peter