Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

OC Designing: Masks, yay or neh?

Dreadmallon

I was honestly planning to put this on a general OC appearance thread, but I couldn't find one, so here it is.

I'm trying to get my character to be somewhat mysterious. However, I am not too sure masks (or helmets that cover your face, whatever) fit MLP. What do you think?

It really depends on the mask. A Batman or Rorschach type of mask probably wouldn't work, but a mask like Robin (Batman's sidekick) has might work, with slight alterations. At least that's what I think would work in general, although there are no absolute rules in terms of character design.

You could also substitute a mask for certain types of hats, such as a cowboy hat or one like Alucard from Hellsing wears. The hat can mask the character's identity by being tilted forward, and it gives off a mysterious vibe. You could also go the Assassin's Creed route and give the character a hood or something similar.

Hm...well I'm considering giving my character armor somewhat like NM's...because he is, well, "New Moon." I just want some changes to make him a bit more mysterious, as he's not only the "New Moon," but has its color scheme and its dark mysteries.

Though it depends on the mask and the pony, I personally prefer no mask. I am sort of a minimalist and would like to keep ponies simple. Of course a accessory here and there isn't that bad, as long as it's small, like glasses or a watch. It's also the reason why I dislike the capes the ponies wear sometimes, purely because I like 'simpleness'. It's all just a matter of opinion though.