Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

I've noticed something that has been bothering me... (sorta not really)

post-14037-0-77659900-1370144253.png

What is the deal with Fluttershy's Filly form? She is more older looking than any of the Mane six she is taller with some what lanky legs she has to be the oldest out of the six... right?

post-14037-0-91683200-1370144263_thumb.png  All of the

post-14037-0-14468800-1370144001_thumb.png

post-14037-0-83141200-1370143992.png  other mane six

post-14037-0-65969800-1370144252.png

post-14037-0-17281200-1370144256_thumb.png  keep the standard

post-14037-0-20737000-1370143994_thumb.png

post-14037-0-93892200-1370143998_thumb.png  filly proportions (DUMB ROCK!!!)

post-14037-0-96815900-1370144260_thumb.png

post-14037-0-54886800-1370144258_thumb.png  big head & stubby limbs

post-14037-0-55560300-1370143996_thumb.png

But not Fluttershy, She to gooood fo' dat shit!!

post-14037-0-46831400-1370144254.png

Edited by Suty Davis
  • Brohoof 3

Yeah I noticed that too.

tallness runs in her genes? and she just hadn't hit puberty yet? XD

assuming these ponies are even 10 years old. it's really vague about that. for all we know filly could be baby and they're all kids.

Well during "Griffon the Brush Off", Fluttershy said during Pinkie's party that she threw for Gilda that she is a year older than Pinkie Pie.

Her design is also probably to show that she is quite delicate and not really that "built" compared to other ponies, also aids in her personality (being shy and the like suits a thinner body type).

• Brohoof 1

I think that Fluttershy probably had a growth spurt sometime before the time when she got her cutie mark and so now she's just a bit lankier-looking than the other ponies. :3

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

She's probably just unusually tall and lanky for her age. Fluttershy was always portrayed as kind of a "dork" and generally awkward pony (especially in her youth), so I figured it was just another way to show how different she was from her more athletic and "fit" peers.

Kinda sweet, actually, when you consider that as an adult she's frequently seen as a very attractive pony (as shown in 'Green Isn't Your Colour') so she likely had a bit of an "ugly duckling" phase as a kid. Makes her character that much more endearing.

Edited by Gigapony
  • Brohoof 4

Well, as odd as fluttershy may look, it's for a purpose.

She is stated to be a year older than pinkie pie in griffon the brush off, so I'm assuming she's a year older than the rest.

And because of that, I'm assuming her design is that of a young filly teenager, I'm pretty sure that's it.  

(edited)

I can't find the source atm, but I vividly remember Lauren Faust saying that Fluttershy went through an "awkward phase" as a filly, which is why she was so often teased by other fillies. She does have four lower eye lashes, which is also strange.

Off-topic: I like that Applejack pic you posted. I have to wonder who the heck those two ponies are that are on the picture that she's "carrying" (lol floating stick) in her bag. (Aunt and uncle?) How come I never noticed that before? huh.png

Edited by Sugar Cube

I can't find the source atm, but I vividly remember Lauren Faust saying that Fluttershy went through an "awkward phase" as a filly, which is why she was so often teased by other fillies. She does have four lower eye lashes, which is also strange.

Off-topic: I like that Applejack pic you posted. I have to wonder who the heck those two ponies are that are on the picture that she's "carrying" (lol floating stick) in her bag. (Aunt and uncle?) How come I never noticed that before? img-1519048-1-huh.png

You are indeed correct It is her relatives Aunt & Uncle Orange they live in Manehattan here is a close up (Sorry about the glares from the frame)

post-14037-0-01579600-1370137828_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

I've always taken this to mean that she is the oldest pony in the Mane Six, or at least one of the oldest. Around puberty, people go through awkward growth spurts all the time, and this probably wouldn't have helped her self-esteem issues. 

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for that. It's been a while since I've watched the episode. Pretty cool nonetheless. :P

And back to Fluttershy.  We know she's a year older than Pinkie Pie, and I'm willing to wager the Mane Six are all very close in age, but Fluttershy could very well be the oldest. Perhaps she hit puberty before the others did. 

• Brohoof 1

I think that since when she was talking to Pinkie Pie in Griffon The Brush Off, and Fluttershy said that she is one year older then Pinkie Pie. The statement there must say that Fluttershy's growth spurt might have contributed to her being older, and probably becoming timid & shy along the way. So, maybe her design was made because how she was originally when she discovered her talent in taking care of animals.

When I was growing up, there were a lot of kids that were randomly taller than everyone else, but by the end of highschool they were average height and sometimes even a little shorter. People (and apparently ponies) grow at different rates.

I always kinda assumed that they chose to make Fluttershy a lanky filly so that bullies would pay more attention to her and make her into the extreme introvert that she is now. Personal head cannon, i dunno derpy_emoticon2.png

• Brohoof 2

It's a pity that the adult Mane 6 all the same body puppet (for easier animation in the first 'block' of episodes). I'd be curious to see what variations the character designs would have had if that restriction hadn't existed.

(edited)

When I was growing up, there were a lot of kids that were randomly taller than everyone else, but by the end of highschool they were average height and sometimes even a little shorter. People (and apparently ponies) grow at different rates.

I always kinda assumed that they chose to make Fluttershy a lanky filly so that bullies would pay more attention to her and make her into the extreme introvert that she is now. Personal head cannon, i dunno img-1523317-1-derpy_emoticon2.png

Not just head canon, Lauren Faust said that's pretty much the exact reason for her looking like that.

Also I'd be wary of putting so much stock into Fluttershy's "I'm a year older" line. For one, it seemed like a throwaway line at best, and even if it isn't, it only tells us she's older than Pinkie Pie. For all we know, Pinkie's the youngest of the six, and Fluttershy's the second youngest; or maybe they're all the same age except Pinkie. Hard to tell unless we know how old they all are.

Edited by Gigapony

A others have said, Fluttershy does specifically say she's a year older than Pinkie. However, I don't know if that means she's older than the rest of the Mane 6.

My guess is that she is, because she does actually look older as a filly.

Well Fluttershy did say at one time that she was older than Pinkie, so maybe she's older than everyone else too? Also, Fluttershy is kind of supposed to be an awkward pegasus, so maybe they made she's tall and lanky because she has to stand out? Maybe her long legs hindered her flying ablities, what with them forever dragging on the ground. xD

• 10 years later...

I doubt age is the reason she's so tall. If it was I'm pretty sure there would be more than just a one year difference. I believe it's supposed to be why she has a hard time flying. She grew taller faster than the other filly's, so she eels very awkward and isn't used to them dragging on the ground