Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which nations and cultures are the species based off of?

Magic Man

I often like to draw similarities from the different species in the show, pony, changeling, griffin, etc, to real life nations and cultures.

For example, I often think of Equestria as similar to North America and Western Europe in terms of its culture  (the names and architecture) and its very European traditional monarchy.

The Griffins I kind of see as Germans and Austrians, for some reason. I dunno, I can just imagine them speaking in very thick German accents and being very military. Then again, we had Gustav speaking a very french accent and Gilda American, but I still see a very pan-European influence in their culture.

As for Changelings, yeah, we know very little about them and if you'd just humour and NOT go for the ever so popular but seriously worn Hive idea, I have a particular vision of their culture. I see them as possibly being East Asian, chiefly because of how much it would then contrast to the Equestrians' very western culture.

I really am split between seeing them as Japanese (as I have them in my fanfics) or perhaps more appropriately, the Huns or the Mongols (the latter of the Gengis Khan variety).

img-1190806-1-changelings_flag_by_lonewolf3878-d4x7j9w.png

Changeling Kingdom

Other official names: Its true name is difficult to translate into other languages from Changeling language. Often referred to as 'the Motherland' by most Changelings.

Capital: Again, difficult to translate into other languages from Changeling language.

Language(s): Official: Changeling. Second language: Man language (English).

Religion: Official: uniformly traditional Changeling religion.  

Ethnic Groups: 99% Changeling, 1% miscellaneous (Pony, troll, etc)

Culture: Imperial Japan.

Type of Government: Absolute monarchy by divine right.

Legislature: None.

Military: I can definitely imagine the Changeling army similar to Imperial Japan's, all in terms of its large size, its unyielding brute force and strict "no surrender" policy.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSM55qjh99E]

Formation: Dates back over thousand years.

Area: It is a vast, depleted country, characterized by a desolate mountainous landscape which, during its infamously long, vicious winters, is always blanketed by thick layers of snow. It is estimated to be four times the size of Equestria, due to covering vast areas that include plains, deserts and even glaciers.

Population: 140,000,000

Currency: Changeling Yen

What say you?

Edited by Magic Man

The Griffins I agree with you on, although I don't know why. Same with the Ponies. Zebras are obviously African. Changelings, I have no idea. Any fics I've written involving them has them in hives. 

Edited by Brosparkles

The Griffins I agree with you on, although I don't know why. Same with the Ponies. Zebras are obviously African. Changelings, I have no idea. Any fics I've written involving them has them in hives. 

But I just HATE the hive idea, because I like to see changelings as individuals with their own family, children and friends. The Hive idea really limits that.

Gryphons... German? Just because they give a ''militaristic'' impression? Are you kidding me?

So far the only gryphon I've seen in MLP is Gilda, you can't take assumptions based on one individual. Same thing as; see a German drive fast? Sure! All Germans must drive fast!

I did not mean it like that. It's just that when I think of griffins, I just imagine them as something like and old 19th century European military power, like Imperial Germany or the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It's just the thing that comes to my mind.

I'm not certain of other races, but there is certainly an Ancient Greek theme going on with the Pegasi, as evidenced by Cloudsdale's design and what we saw in Hearths Warming Eve. Fitting since Pegasi are actually from Greek mythology.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

Ponyville looks like a German town to me. Canterlot is obviously a play on words with Camelot which is medieval England. Manehattan isn't a country but probably based on New York City of the 19th century or something. As for Changelings having a hive mind they must be communist but not sure what nation. Filadelphia, well obviously Philadelphia.

I'm
not certain of other races, but there is certainly an Ancient Greek
theme going on with the Pegasi, as evidenced by Cloudsdale's design and
what we saw in Hearths Warming Ever. Fitting since Pegasi are actually
from Greek mythology.

Aside from Rainbow Dash being a sports nut she's also psyched about the Equestria Games which sounds like the Olympics which came from the greeks.

Edited by poniesforfun