Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do ponies use the word "everypony"?

CultOfTheNorth

Recently I've been thinking,

When addressing everyone as everypony you leave the other races in the pony universe. There are still dragons, griffins, bulls, buffaloes, changelings, and more, what about them? Do they not matter? Its just been bothering me lately what do you think?

(edited)

Have you every heard any human go up to a group of dogs and say Everybody get! I haven't!

They say everypony because there are no humans in Equestria, and let's keep it that way! I do think they matter, but changelings are sorta the same thing as ponies. I never heard anypony say anypony to any species besides pony.

Edited by Sir.Derpington Hooves
  • Brohoof 5

i think everypony is a cultural thing to the ponies and those related to the equestrian family (zebras and camels). In the show we don't see Griffons and Buffaloes and Bulls as regularly. Griffons and the Bovine family only had one episode where their kind was the focus of attention. Dragons aren't seen as approachable or social.

• Brohoof 1

The show isn't supposed to be in-depth, guys. It IS aimed at small children, after all, we just happen to like it :P

Everypony is just a self-explanatory terms and a sort of gimmick thing for the little ones. Don't pull false meanings out of something which is blatantly obvious, lol.

• Brohoof 6

I think they do it because it's a play on words. There are tons if other creatures. But the majority are ponies, so I guess it does kinda make sense to say everypony.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's because the pony race is a tyrannical, xenophobic race bent on making sure other creatures know that they are less than ponies are.  No matter what a pony might be talking about, be it friendship or kindness or whatever, they are only referring to everyPONY, and not everyone.

Either that, or it's just a cute little phrase that fits well in the general setting of the cartoon.

Edited by doublechris
  • Brohoof 3

It's because the pony race is a tyrannical, xenophobic race bent on making sure other creatures know that they are less than ponies are.  No matter what a pony might be talking about, be it friendship or kindness or whatever, they are only referring to everyPONY, and not everyone.

Either that, or it's just a cute little phrase that fits well in the general setting of the cartoon.

This made me laugh quite severely :') and I agree, I highly doubt that there is some awful 'we ponies are the superior race bow before us!!!!!' thing going on, just a simple cute play on words that fit the show~ :3

• Brohoof 1

This made me laugh quite severely :') and I agree, I highly doubt that there is some awful 'we ponies are the superior race bow before us!!!!!' thing going on, just a simple cute play on words that fit the show~ :3

Glad I could make you laugh!  It's so much fun to think about the show in such a dark way.  It makes it so accidentally hilarious.  Just thinking about a dictatorship of ponies who totally love and tolerate all people, as long as they are ponies.  If not, GET OUT.

Like, why do you think the Diamond Dogs are so nasty towards ponies, and that there are so few of them?  Let's just say there's a reason there aren't more of them, and it has to do with Celestia.

• Brohoof 2

The land of equestria is a racist land that only accepts ponies to live in proper housing and own property. All non-ponies are minorities that are not allowed to live with the same rights.

Nah, just kidding. I seriously have no idea why there are so many ponies but other creatures only live far away from them.

Glad I could make you laugh!  It's so much fun to think about the show in such a dark way.  It makes it so accidentally hilarious.  Just thinking about a dictatorship of ponies who totally love and tolerate all people, as long as they are ponies.  If not, GET OUT.

Like, why do you think the Diamond Dogs are so nasty towards ponies, and that there are so few of them?  Let's just say there's a reason there aren't more of them, and it has to do with Celestia.

....Ooooh, she made them sterile didn't she? Thats why they hate all the ponies.... ouchies, poor little pupies o-o;

:') Oh that Celestia xD

....Ooooh, she made them sterile didn't she? Thats why they hate all the ponies.... ouchies, poor little pupies o-o;

:') Oh that Celestia xD

She's so cruel.  She spreads the word of kindness and generosity, all while standing on a huge pile of skeletons and defeated nations.

• Brohoof 1

Recently I've been thinking,

When addressing everyone as everypony you leave the other races in the pony universe. There are still dragons, griffins, bulls, buffaloes, changelings, and more, what about them? Do they not matter? Its just been bothering me lately what do you think?

Oh my god!  I REEEEEEALLY don't want to whore myself out at all, I really don't since I do find it rude, but I JUST wrote a one shot using that exact thing!

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/86944/day-intolerance-in-equestria

(edited)

For the same reason we don't say "everybody" when referring to animals.

Sure there are other animals, like Griffins, and Zebras, but they're not in the pony cliques.

Racism. It's all about racism.

Edited by ☣Harmonic Revelations☣
  • Brohoof 2

Because we think of the ponies as a group or a clique (if you will). We could just say that, we are the master race.

We notice that their are other animals but, we choose to address ourselves as everypony.

Or as the quote says: ''As I look around, they don't do it like our clique.''

• Brohoof 1

For the same reason we don't say "everybody" when referring to animals.

But, I do say everybody when I talk about animals (also keep in mind humans themselves are animals, but even with non-humans I still say everyone/everybody.).

I think the Everypony thing was just a cute thing for the show, someone felt there should be an alternative for everybody/everyone and there was. Incidentally, this is the only time I don't find it weird, or distracting from the show - everybeast in the Redwall TV series never sounded good (or even very flattering) to my ears, and now everybear in the new Carebears series sounds very forced. Maybe I'm a little biased, but everypony always struck a chord with me, and I was fine with it.

The one thing, I hate though, is how so many bronies don't get that "everypony" (and similar words) is meant to be an alternative, not a replacement, so if a pony says "everyone" or "everybody" it is not an error.

I feel like I've seen this particular topic somewhere before. But anyway, I think it's cute that they say "everypony" as opposed to "everybody". Is there something wrong with them saying that? I don't think so.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong, but I do believe that everyone is universal, everybody is only used here, and then everypony is what they say the majority of the time, since everyone doesn't exactly specify to anything. But like I said, that's just what I think, but I could be wrong.

Its kinda like how sometimes girls are refered to as guys randomly. Its just something they say all the time its just a common way to address.

Then again I rarely seem them use everypony when other races are around they're addressing to be honest.

But since they're ponies and no humans it makes sense mostly.

Plus I find it entertaining and a cute little touch smile.png.

Edited by Zygen

There is also the instance of Rainbow Dash saying everybody at the beginning of "A Bird In The Hoof". I always skip over that part because it just sounds weird now that I'm used to everypony saying "everypony". Here's proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEa95wkh9UA

I find it so adorable though how at the beginning of "Putting Your Hoof Down" she addresses a group of animals with. "Plenty [of food] for everypony."

well, when it comes to them saying "everypony" it's usually within a group of ponies.

I mean, if I remember correctly, there was a time in which Twilight actually said "everybody" on one of the episodes involving Buffalo (i can't remember the name of it ;_; )

well, when it comes to them saying "everypony" it's usually within a group of ponies.

I mean, if I remember correctly, there was a time in which Twilight actually said "everybody" on one of the episodes involving Buffalo (i can't remember the name of it ;_; )

The question then, is whether Twilight was referring to a group of buffalo and/or ponies. But I think you may be onto something that only groups are referred to in this way. 

• Brohoof 1

I think, plain and simple, it's just a pun they threw in to add a level of amusement to the show. I believe there's one line Twilight says. "Why won't anybody be rational and reasonable?!" She says "anybody" in that instance. The reason is that she's talking about both ponies and buffalo in that scene. So the words any/every/somebody apparently do exist in the show, but when talking amongst themselves, since they're mostly all ponies, they just say any/every/somepony.