Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where and how to write a fan fiction.

Sir.Flutter Hooves

I have got the greatest idea for a fan fiction. I believe it will be really great, but just two problems stand in my way:

1.) Where do I write said fan fiction?

2.) And how? Do I have to copy right it so people won't steal it?

Any help would be great! BTW it will be my first, so that's why I don't know how. smile.png

Thanks and bro hoof /)

• Brohoof 2

Yay, another writer! New writers always make me feel happy and fuzzy on the inside.

1) If you mean publish, you have two popular choices: FiMFiction.net or Google Docs. FiMFiction would guarantee you lots of readers; Google Docs would allow you more freedom with how you present your story. If you mean just where you want to write it out, that is all your personal preference. You can physically write it out on paper, in Microsoft Word, Google Docs, etc.

2) Especially in our community, I wouldn't worry terribly much about copyrights and plagiarism. If you publish to FiMFiction, everyone will know that that story is yours. Otherwise, just yell at people not to steal it and they almost always say okay.

Follow the Writing Tips link in my signature if you want help with your writing or need some reviews. We love to help. wink.png

• Brohoof 1

Yay, another writer! New writers always make me feel happy and fuzzy on the inside.

1) If you mean publish, you have two popular choices: FiMFiction.net or Google Docs. FiMFiction would guarantee you lots of readers; Google Docs would allow you more freedom with how you present your story. If you mean just where you want to write it out, that is all your personal preference. You can physically write it out on paper, in Microsoft Word, Google Docs, etc.

2) Especially in our community, I wouldn't worry terribly much about copyrights and plagiarism. If you publish to FiMFiction, everyone will know that that story is yours. Otherwise, just yell at people not to steal it and they almost always say okay.

Follow the Writing Tips link in my signature if you want help with your writing or need some reviews. We love to help. wink.png

Thanks so much man! I will use FIMFiction.com. 

I've always loved writing, and I built up the courage to make my first fanfiction. I will put it on this site so people can see it!

Thanks and I shall give you the rarest of bro hoof! A triple! /) /) /) laugh.png

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I basically agree with Kolth, Fimfiction is the way to go more or less, its the most popular so the exposure is at a higher amount overall.

And you don't have to put any copyright on it really far as I know, technically you can't I don't think since Hasbro technically owns MLP so idk it could get complex, people don't normally steal stuff in the community anyways though, so it shouldn't really be a big deal.

Good luck btw!

• Brohoof 1

And you don't have to put any copyright on it really far as I know, technically you can't I don't think since Hasbro technically owns MLP so idk it could get complex, people don't normally steal stuff in the community anyways though, so it shouldn't really be a big deal.

Oh, this totally reminds me. , it is generally considered 'polite' to put in a footnote that says that MLP:FiM belongs to Hasbro and you don't own it. Despite how obvious it is, it is just something that people do, I guess. laugh.png

• Brohoof 2

I'm developing my first fanfic on FimFiction right now.  It's a great, very well built website.  I like that I could write an entire fanfic, and then if I decide it's crap, I simply never submit it, and it'll never be seen, but I could still look at it whenever.  Just a well designed site imo.  With lots of good fanfics of course.

Oh, this totally reminds me. , it is generally considered 'polite' to put in a footnote that says that MLP:FiM belongs to Hasbro and you don't own it. Despite how obvious it is, it is just something that people do, I guess. img-1305116-1-laugh.png

Thanks! Without you helping me, I would never know these things! I simply love the brony community because if you need help, just ask and they'll give it to you!

Thanks so much and bro hoof /)

Oh, this totally reminds me. , it is generally considered 'polite' to put in a footnote that says that MLP:FiM belongs to Hasbro and you don't own it. Despite how obvious it is, it is just something that people do, I guess. img-1305116-1-laugh.png

One last question. FIMFiction won't let me sign up! Every time I try to pick a username it won't let me! If there is anyway you could help that would be great! And sorry to bother you again.

/)

• Brohoof 1

One last question. FIMFiction won't let me sign up! Every time I try to pick a username it won't let me! If there is anyway you could help that would be great! And sorry to bother you again.

/)

Hmm...that's weird. What exactly is the website telling you? Is it giving you an error, or just reloading the page without continuing with registration, or what?

Hmm...that's weird. What exactly is the website telling you? Is it giving you an error, or just reloading the page without continuing with registration, or what?

Well, I want my user name to be Sir.Derpington Hooves.

But everytime I click register it says"There were errors in the settings you choose". 

/)

Well, I want my user name to be Sir.Derpington Hooves.

But everytime I click register it says"There were errors in the settings you choose". 

/)

It might be the period in your name. Try taking it out; I can't remember FiMFiction's naming policy - it might not like periods, spacing, etc. Look around the site at other people's names and see if they all lack something.

• Brohoof 1

It might be the period in your name. Try taking it out; I can't remember FiMFiction's naming policy - it might not like periods, spacing, etc. Look around the site at other people's names and see if they all lack something.

IT WORKED!

Thanks so much, it was the period! I can finally write my stories because of you! Thanks so much, and you really helped.

/)

• Brohoof 1

My two favorite places to go are, Fimfiction.net and fanfiction.net

both are really good and have TONS and TONS of stories. if you need someone to read em over or whatever, send me a message :P

im trying to write too, but im still trying to get the ground work solid. Good luck to you buddy

My two favorite places to go are, Fimfiction.net and fanfiction.net

both are really good and have TONS and TONS of stories. if you need someone to read em over or whatever, send me a message tongue.png

im trying to write too, but im still trying to get the ground work solid. Good luck to you buddy

Do you mind taking a look at my first chapter? I would really love for someone to read it, and give out points! If not I understand.

Here it is : http://www.fimfiction.net/story/92824/1/the-revenge-of-sunset-shimmer/chapter-1-most-faithful-student

Thanks and bro hoof /)

Do you mind taking a look at my first chapter? I would really love for someone to read it, and give out points! If not I understand.

Here it is : http://www.fimfiction.net/story/92824/1/the-revenge-of-sunset-shimmer/chapter-1-most-faithful-student

Thanks and bro hoof /)

We meet again, Sir.Derpington Hooves. I am in no way qualified to evaluate fan fiction but I'm going to give it a try anyways. 

1) Get an editor/pre-reader. It'll help keep the errors to a minimum.

2) More description, por favor. You're story had way to much dialogue. What about emotions? Facial expressions? People don't stand still when they talk and neither do ponies. Especially Pinkie Pie.

3) Thoughts should be italicized, not put in quotes. It helps avoid confusion.

3.5) Rainbow Dash is two words

I commend you for entering the dangerous and inhospitable world of writing. Keep up the good work!

We meet again, Sir.Derpington Hooves. I am in no way qualified to evaluate fan fiction but I'm going to give it a try anyways. 

1) Get an editor/pre-reader. It'll help keep the errors to a minimum.

2) More description, por favor. You're story had way to much dialogue. What about emotions? Facial expressions? People don't stand still when they talk and neither do ponies. Especially Pinkie Pie.

3) Thoughts should be italicized, not put in quotes. It helps avoid confusion.

3.5) Rainbow Dash is two words

I commend you for entering the dangerous and inhospitable world of writing. Keep up the good work!

1. Thank you for taking time out of your day to help.

2. I will put more facial espressions on, I will make Pinkie skip when she 's talking.

3. I will but the thoughts in italicized tommorrow. Gotta go to bed.sleep.png

4. Thank you! I was wondering that!

Thanks so much and bro hoof my good brony! /)

I heard FiMFiction is the perfect place to write a fan fiction. I'll be working on one myself, on my birthday in June.

You can make a head start there.

@, if you don't mind to waste your time to read some lectures about writing, you can visit my writing guide lines by the link on my signature. :)

By the way, I can't see the fanfic you linked there.

Edited by Sky Warden

@, if you don't mind to waste your time to read some lectures about writing, you can visit my writing guide lines by the link on my signature. smile.png

By the way, I can't see the fanfic you linked there.

ok, I'll read it. Always love to read people lecturs and see what they have to say. I just posted another link in my about me page. It called Revenge of a Fallen Studnet.

Thanks and bro hoof /)