Tips on How to use Watercolor Paints? (paintings included)

Bronyette

Okay, I'm pretty new to painting. I recently got a set of watercolors and I've tried my hand at painting but I can't make backgrounds really easily at all.

Do you paint them first and then try to paint your subject or is there some other technique better for watercolors? Whenever I make them they sorta blend into the subject and It doesn't look good at all. I would like to paint some ponies soon, but I would like to include some sort of a background as well.

Also any other tips or critiques would be appreciated!

Pikachu

post-11323-0-46931300-1364503263_thumb.jpg

Rainbow Giraffe

post-11323-0-47399900-1364503342_thumb.jpg

Wolf (first watercolor painting ever + cruddy background)

post-11323-0-30159800-1364504074_thumb.jpg

Sadly, the first painting I made is the best. ;-;

Edited by Bronyette
  • Brohoof 1

Hello! Before I went digital, I used watercolours all the time. They're really quite wonderful for illustrative art work. I never really painted backgrounds (I'm more into character art) but when I did, they would just be simple colours to add a bit of atmosphere. I usually painted it once I had the character completely finished so that I could coordinate the background colour with the colours used for the character. 

(These are incredibly old, by the way)

Without background:

velkah_by_tomshaer-d2bwoba.jpg

With background:

Imp_by_TomShaer.jpg

The dog/wolf is awesome, by the way. tongue.png

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hello! Before I went digital, I used watercolours all the time. They're really quite wonderful for illustrative art work. I never really painted backgrounds (I'm more into character art) but when I did, they would just be simple colours to add a bit of atmosphere. I usually painted it once I had the character completely finished so that I could coordinate the background colour with the colours used for the character. 

(These are incredibly old, by the way)

Without background:

velkah_by_tomshaer-d2bwoba.jpg

With background:

Imp_by_TomShaer.jpg

The dog/wolf is awesome, by the way. tongue.png

Aww Thank you, it was the only one I actually spent a large amount of time on. The others were just really quick practice. happy.png  I really like the use of pen in your drawings, they are all so good. Even if they are old, they are still amazing. Maybe if I practice enough I could paint like that someday. :3 Or at least I hope. 

Edited by Bronyette