Possible disabled pony episode on the way!

Sir.Flutter Hooves

Hello and bro hoof to all /)!

On Megan's twitter page, she said that there might be a possible episode coming up about disabilities. I believe the episode will center around Scootaloo, or even Derpy! I would love an episode where we see Derpy centered in it, talking about how she deals with her eyes everyday.

So, what do you guys think? Tell me in the comments

Here's the link in case anyone is interested: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/03/possible-disabled-pony-episode-on-way.html

Thanks and bro hoof /) 

• Brohoof 8

Scootaloo not being able to fly? Lauren Faust's original plan?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I don't care if it's Faust, that's terrible - I'd flip shit if that kind of horrible sadness was stuck into the show...

If this is true, hopefully it's Derpy, and hopefully she's named Derpy and has the original voice actress.

• Brohoof 4

I saw this post as well and the idea of Derpy being brought back into the spotlight got me all giddy. I'm wearing a shirt with her on it right now!!!! I doubt this will be the case though since she is controversial and all. Plus I don't think the writers have the horse apples to take on the soccer moms again. Scootaloo is a better possibility as it has been said before that her wings don't work correctly by Faust (I'm Paraphrasing.) Maybe we will get to see where Scootaloo lives and what her parents are like. tongue.png

This brings up another interesting point though. As the writers begin to deal with more sensitive topics like disabilities the shows overall feel could change. For better or for worse. But ultimately it opens up the possibility of Alicorn Twilight to deal with more sensitive topics like pony welfare and kingdom management now that she is a princess. With more responsibilities the stakes are higher putting more stress on Twilight to succeed or ponies could be hurt more than just emotionally  Pretty much could blow the show wide open or completely destroy it. ohmy.png  In any case should be interesting to see what happens.

On a side note I was thinking about this today. Why is Goofy from the Disney series considered OK and Derpy is considered offensive when they both have almost the same character type. I'm sure this has been brought up just saying...huh.png  

• Brohoof 3

On a side note I was thinking about this today. Why is Goofy from the Disney series considered OK and Derpy is considered offensive when they both have almost the same character type. I'm sure this has been brought up just saying...  

Why is Patrick Star ok? Why is the dumb Ed from Ed, Ed, and Eddy ok? Derpy was banned because of trolls! They had nothing to do but moan and complain about a beloved character.

But great answer by the way. I do hope they make the episode about Derpy! 

• Brohoof 4

It'd be interesting and a good lesson for the target demographic. But I don't see many ponies giving a disabled pony a hard time/being mean in Ponyville; they don't seem to have it in them, not even the younger ones. It'd be more interesting to see them trying to avoid being awkward around a disabled pony because they don't know what to say or do...and then the inevitable, "look at the other abilities he/she has" ending.

Which actually leaves me wondering: would they dedicate an entire episode to such a character, or just introduce them in an episode and make them an integral part of the goings on?

Interesting. I would love if this was about Derpy. Not only does it have the potential for a good message, but it would finally put those rumors to rest that she got canned.

And hopefully muffin love is canon. :P

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

But I don't see many ponies giving a disabled pony a hard time/being mean in Ponyville

That what's her face bullied Scootaloo and the others. I wouldn't see why there wouldn't be any other bullying. Though it isn't common, it still could happen.

Scootaloo not being able to fly? Lauren Faust's original plan?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I don't care if it's Faust, that's terrible - I'd flip shit if that kind of horrible sadness was stuck into the show...

If this is true, hopefully it's Derpy, and hopefully she's named Derpy and has the original voice actress.

Couple friends of mine, one with a crippling mobility disability from a car accident when he was a kid and another person with a severe birth defect both once told me that the very thing that insults them the most is people feeling sorry for them instead of giving them a fair chance to prove themselves and treat them like just another human being.

Edited by Phaeston-e12
  • Brohoof 4

This could be interesting, and might go over well as long as we don't have another Derpy type incident again. I'm certainly excited for this a bit :).

I just hope it is handled right by the team.

But I don't see many ponies giving a disabled pony a hard time/being mean in Ponyville;

What about Diamond Tiara? I could see her picking on a new student in say a wheel chair. Her and Silver Spoon making fun of him/her for not being able to walk. And then the cutie mark crusaders stand up for him/her! Now that would make for a good episode.

• Brohoof 2

What about Diamond Tiara? I could see her picking on a new student in say a wheel chair. Her and Silver Spoon making fun of him/her for not being able to walk. And then the cutie mark crusaders stand up for him/her! Now that would make for a good episode.

I feel the disability would be in the range of not being able to see or not being able to speak. However, the possibilities are endless.

The biggest problem I have with getting rid of things like Scootaloo's wing disability and Derpy is that it is basically trying to ignore the disabled in our world. Like many people do in real life they pretend that these people don't exist either out of pity or because they don't know how to act around them. This is precisely why we have discrimination in the first place. We need to teach kids and adults alike that people with disabilities are just that they are people first and not just disabled. Unfortunately many adults are not ready for this message and they see a cartoon portraying this type of message as offensive. I know this has all been said before but...ug it’s just disheartening you know? Anyway I love the show and will fight to my dying breath over this topic.

• Brohoof 5

I feel the disability would be in the range of not being able to see or not being able to speak. However, the possibilities are endless.

I agree. The possibilities are endless. I'm just really hoping for a Derpy episode, or maybe, just maybe one about Pinkie. Maybe we find out she has ADHD (not meaning to offend anyone, and sorry if I did).

THIS! You are probubly the closest yet to the true form the episode is going to take. Maybe Derpy has lost her voice because all the trolls keep saying "I don't belive in Derpy"

We have to clap ours hands!

I DO BELIVE IN DERPY I DO! I DO!!!

That's true; they might both be the type. Which is why I'd sort of like to see the ponies look for them to say something mean...and instead, they respond with something like "Actually, we think her chair is really cool - unlike you Blank Flanks!"

• Brohoof 1

Well I'm hoping the focus well be around Scootaloo and her not being able to fly. Not sure if it would be Derpy seeing as she she an adult pony and I feel this would work better if the pony was younger. Still maybe it well be a new character. As long as the episode does not end with them getting magically better at the end. That would just be wrong if you ask me.

• Brohoof 1

I doubt (and hope ^.^) Derpy won't be in that episode. There's a reason why she wasn't seen for almost the entirety of Season 3 and a background pony hasn't been the star of an episode for all these three seasons. 

It's most likely Scootaloo. Derpy's eyes aren't a disability, they're a comedy item. Using her as a symbol for disabled people is plain silly.

It's most likely Scootaloo. Derpy's eyes aren't a disability, they're a comedy item. Using her as a symbol for disabled people is plain silly.

I really never thought of her eyes like a comedy symbol. But, in the Last Roundup she could not even see straight enough to work. So, maybe her eyes make it hard for her to see? Making it sorta of a disability?

/) 

I doubt (and hope ^.^) Derpy won't be in that episode. There's a reason why she wasn't seen for almost the entirety of Season 3 and a background pony hasn't been the star of an episode for all these three seasons. 

I disagree her eyes are considered a disability. Wall eyed or cross-eyed is a legitimist disability. Furthermore I don't think anyone considers Derpy to be a background pony anymore. She is just as much a part of the Main 6 as any other pony IMO

I really never thought of her eyes like a comedy symbol. But, in the Last Roundup she could not even see straight enough to work. So, maybe her eyes make it hard for her to see? Making it sorta of a disability?

More that she's clumsy rather that she couldn't see straight. She bumped the town hall structure sideways and whatnot, which is more of a sign of clumsiness and created for people to laugh. Her eyes were purely for comedy effect, in my opinion, and it's only the "soccer moms" that labelled them a disability.

I disagree her eyes are considered a disability. Wall eyed or cross-eyed is a legitimist disability. Furthermore I don't think anyone considers Derpy to be a background pony anymore. She is just as much a part of the Main 6 as any other pony IMO

Ever heard of a cartoon? Her eyes are a comedy symbol because people find it funny that she's cross-eyed, unlike other background ponies. That's right. She's still a background pony, whether you want it or not, or a secondary character at best. Considering her main character is a delusional thought. She only appeared in one scene, and in other scenes she was simply standing in the background, hence the name. 

More that she's clumsy rather that she couldn't see straight. She bumped the town hall structure sideways and whatnot, which is more of a sign of clumsiness and created for people to laugh. Her eyes were purely for comedy effect, in my opinion, and it's only the "soccer moms" that labelled them a disability.

Ever heard of a cartoon? Her eyes are a comedy symbol because people find it funny that she's cross-eyed, unlike other background ponies. That's right. She's still a background pony, whether you want it or not, or a secondary character at best. Considering her main character is a delusional thought. She only appeared in one scene, and in other scenes she was simply standing in the background, hence the name. 

Well, this seems more to getting to the debate of whether Derpy is a background character or somewhat involved. In my opinion, Hasbro just made her into an "easter egg" type pony where the fans have to find her, though some episodes show she is obviously involved in some apparent way. It is debatable.

She was never intended in the first place. She was noticed by a fandom and not created by the writers. So her eyes were never intended to be used as a comedic element. She simply is what she is. People who think her eyes are there for comedy are the same people who caused this controversy in the first place. Finally the reason I added IMO at the end of my post is to infer sarcasm at her being a part of the main 6.

That is all I'm going say about that because its not worth arguing about. Good day to you sir.

She was never intended in the first place. She was noticed by a fandom and not created by the writers. So her eyes were never intended to be used as a comedic element. She simply is what she is. People who think her eyes are there for comedy are the same people who caused this controversy in the first place. Finally the reason I added IMO at the end of my post is to infer sarcasm at her being a part of the main 6.

That is all I'm going say about that because its not worth arguing about. Good day to you sir.

Why is there even an argument about it? xD

Anyways, I think to keep it into perspective the disability is more likely going to be something simple, like a bad leg or something.

Yeah I think your right and yes it is a dumb argument lol I apologize. But my love for Derpy is great. Passion overtook me for a second there.