Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Super Pony Battle Royale - Need Artists, OCs, Musicians, Pixel Artists and more

Lunar Red

Hello everypony!!

Well...if you put your OC in the old SPBR thread then you might have re-submit. I need OCs with instresting Opening and Ending Lines, Moves, Looks and Personailties. So if you qualify submit below :) . I need (4) Pixel Artists for the game so that it will progress. I will also need GM Studio users for it too. I will need (2) Music Composers so that they can make Themes for the (9) OCs and (6) Stages.

IF YOU'RE SUBMITING AN OC USE THIS TEMPLATE: © = Needed

©Picture:

©Opening Line:

©Winning Line:

©Losing Line:

Finisher:

Rival (Must pick other OC in thread):

Personailty:

Stats (Attack, Defense, Speed)

IF YOU WANT TO DO MUSIC USE THIS TEMPLATE: © = Needed

©Example

©Specialty

©How much Free-Time

©How long does it take to make music:

IF YOU WANT TO DO PIXEL ART USE THIS TEMPLATE: © = Needed

©Example

©Active on Forums or not often:

©How much Free-time:

That is all everypony :D

• Brohoof 2

Correct me if i'm wrong,   but you're making....a fighting game?

based off ponies.  Using peoples OCs and it's all going to be done by other people? Am I understanding this correctly.

Will there be reimbursement,  what engine are you using,  how will this game fare again "Fighting is Magic". etc

• Brohoof 1

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're making....a fighting game?

based off ponies. Using peoples OCs and it's all going to be done by other people? Am I understanding this correctly.

Will there be reimbursement, what engine are you using, how will this game fare again "Fighting is Magic". etc

Well, you're mostly correct except one thing. I am helping Program and I am also planning this project. And the engine is Gamemaker Studio and for the other 2 can you explain what you're asking if you don't mind.

Well, you're mostly correct except one thing. I am helping Program and I am also planning this project. And the engine is Gamemaker Studio and for the other 2 can you explain what you're asking if you don't mind.

Fighting is magic (was) a MLP based fighting game that hasbro had to issue a C&D for using copyrighted material,  but rather than die,  Lauren Faust joined the team and is now designing new "Pony like" characters for the game.   They just recently raised 700k  to help finish the game and now its under way.   

The production of the game has been very long in the making, and this is about where it was when issued their cease.

Now with faust on the team, they've also aquired their own game engine.

I've looked up game maker studio and it seems...ok....dated,  though not nearly as bad as Mugen.   But still,   The idea of using OC's is neat and all, but the game would really only cater to those OC's owners. If said game was finished,  would it really be able to stand to Mane6's  new game.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fighting is magic (was) a MLP based fighting game that hasbro had to issue a C&D for using copyrighted material, but rather than die, Lauren Faust joined the team and is now designing new "Pony like" characters for the game. They just recently raised 700k to help finish the game and now its under way.

The production of the game has been very long in the making, and this is about where it was when issued their cease.

Now with faust on the team, they've also aquired their own game engine.

I've looked up game maker studio and it seems...ok....dated, though not nearly as bad as Mugen. But still, The idea of using OC's is neat and all, but the game would really only cater to those OC's owners. If said game was finished, would it really be able to stand to Mane6's new game.

I was thinking about making the characters, if that seems better?

Also I chose GMStudio because it can put games on Android, iOS, Windows 8, Mac and more. I also choose it because it has Team Features and others.

Edited by Lunar Red

To be honest. He has a point, while I LOVE the idea of getting our community active in a fighting game with OC's and music, designers exctr. It would be nice to know some more details about the mechanics you plan to use overall and how similar or different this will be from fighting is magic and if so can it or would it be able to stand up to fighting is magic in anyway. I'm not saying that just because you are making a game in the same genre that you got to try and be better than fighting is magic but it does give a decent example of a good fan made fighting game. 

I would like to suggest that you set your game in a world where it is in equesteria but it has multiversal factors where other creatures and things can exists besides just ponies and the established in lore creatures- it follows it own lore and story line- so that right off the bat your game would differ conceptually and visually/story wise from FIM. To the outside viewer a game with ponies fighting would all look the same unless they all had big differences from one another and there is only so many times we can recolor a basic 3 genus and stick a hat on them.  Also, hide derpy in the background of all the scenes for a funny easter egg. 

Who else are you going to get code/ design mechanics with you.

What is your plan for bursts, will there be bursts.

What is the combo system going to be like.

How does the metre fill up. Is there a metre; are there going to be special conditions for the metre in play style or in the characters themselves?

Are you sure you understand the amount of time and effort it would take to program entirely new combo varieties to each unique characters special play style and if not. Do our characters have permission to include gimmicks and weird play styles-look at blazblue for differing characters with unique combo/ systems mechanic conditions-

Are we going to include a story and if so, how. Are going to go low budget like blazblue and just include still images with voice actors(or even lower with just text) or are we actually going to try and recruit animators for this?

Like I said. I am totally behind this. It's a great idea and it gets my full moral support but I think a bit more detail would show us that you are planning to stick to this. A lot of people want to start up stuff like this, a lot of people say they are going to do big projects like this but then end up not doing it. A deeper and clearer amount of information will help bring people to submit things to your idea and feel more secure and confident in your project.

Are there any specific games that you are using for reference or have experience with that you are using for the overall conceptually mechanics of this game (blazblue/ street fighter/ MVC3/ skullgirls)

also. Finally. Can you clarify the level on our characters stats. I don't know what is max measurement and what is not. I'm going to assume we are using fighting game ling/measurements (10000 HP and hundreds is minor damage) or?

Edited by MiStErUnMeRry
  • Brohoof 1

post-13690-0-65708500-1366629629_thumb.png

©Opening Line: Uh...Get Ready to Lose?

©Winning Line: You all did your best. But it looks like I won.

©Losing Line: C'mon Blu, you can do better than this.

Finisher: Summons a Giant Moon that falls out of the sky, crushing everyone. (I couldn't really think of anything. Change it if you need or want to.)

Rival: I'll put one down if I can get a list of confirmed OCs

Personailty: Shy, Kind, Insecure, Intelligent

Stats(I am assuming it is out of ten)

Attack: 3/10

Defense: 9/10

Speed: 5/10

©Picture:post-14736-0-94867900-1366631191.jpg

©Opening Line: May the sun guide me!

©Winning Line: It was good, but Im better.

©Losing Line: N-No! I must continue..!

Finisher:Burst of sunlight encompasses his body, allowing extra hits from each hit.

Rival (Must pick other OC in thread): Once we get some, sure

Personailty: Calm, Cheery, Intelligent.

Stats: Attack 5/10, Speed 8/10, Defence 7/10

• Brohoof 1

Here's my OC, exactly the same things from the old topic

OC Name: Thunder Dash

Opening Phrase: Alright, here we go!

Winning Phrase: Yeah! That's the way we do it baby! Woooo! (While saying "Woooo!", jumps and does a 360 in the air)

Losing Phrase: Oh well, there's always next time...

Taunt: (Faces the screen, Spreads his wings and electric sparks fly) Shocking huh?

Core Ability: Can wield electricity in his body

Personality: Courageous, somewhat self-doubting in his abilities. Willing to do things for others

Rivals: Nopony yet 

Fighting Stance: The one that was used for Rainbow Dash in the original Fighting is Magic(shown here)

post-8804-0-88576300-1366633178.gif

...and my OC is in my avatar, but just for details, here's a larger version. 

post-8804-0-02160500-1366633198.png

Core Ability: Swift and powerful, but lacking defense. 

Attack: 9.5/10

Defense: 3/10

Speed: 9/10

Moves

Standard Physical

Rushing uppercut

Jab/cross combo

Buck

Tail Trip

Flight in all directons

Standard Specials

Basic Electric shot

Charged electric shot

Rapid electric shots

Thunderbolt

Thunder from above (like Pikachu in Super Smash bros brawl)

Finisher

Maximum Energy Burst: Thunder Dash will gather all of the energy around him. The player will see the energy being absorbed in him in the form of small circles. This happens until Thunder Dash is glowing a bright golden yellow. He then lets it all out in the form of electricity. It is 100% guaranteed hit land. But the damage depends on Thunder Dash's health.  

Oh, and since I'm a musician, mind if I supply the theme for my OC?

Edited by Thunder-Dash

Hey, everypony I'm back from watching some Creepy Gaming. I'm going to accept Blue_Moon and the purple pony for now, Also Thunder-Dash can you edit yours a bit.

The Features and Mechanics were explained before that's why I did'nt post them. The game is a fighter, with health bars and rounds like street fighter. It also has finishers and signatures for the OCs too. The game will be coded with Rockmare, Me and somepony else (If I can find one). The game will (maybe) have a combo system (I'm not sure yet).

You should probably link your more indepth description of the mechanics you plan to use then in your first post so you don't have to answer anymore questions concerning it.

Rounds/ health bars and finishers are natural aspects of fighters. That's not a real in depth look at mechanics. That sort of like saying a first person shooter will have guns in it and requires you to pick up ammo, those things are natural to the genre it is in. I strongly suggest you focus on the combo system and the metre-other mechanics you can think of. MVC3 uses an xfactor plus assist to liven things up. Blazblue uses a burst-and later on will include an instant barrier break charge up that absorbs heat as well as a metre eating unlimited (Overe powered) mode briefly) 

Skullgirls doesn't really use anything new but it makes up for that by having really interesting additions of specific character gimmicks, a burst, an indepth combo system and tag team options.

Just a suggestion from a avid fighting game collector and fan.

Also creepy gaming is a fun series.

• Brohoof 1

Hey, everypony I'm back from watching some Creepy Gaming. I'm going to accept Blue_Moon and the purple pony for now, Also Thunder-Dash can you edit yours a bit.

The Features and Mechanics were explained before that's why I did'nt post them. The game is a fighter, with health bars and rounds like street fighter. It also has finishers and signatures for the OCs too. The game will be coded with Rockmare, Me and somepony else (If I can find one). The game will (maybe) have a combo system (I'm not sure yet).

I dont know the other thread, but I have MASSIVE knowledge about fighting games. I play in tournaments all the time, I would like to see the initial thread for this. Ill do some digging and Civil Sunset is my OC. If you need anything, I can help.

post-3285-0-56549500-1366642948_thumb.jpg

Opening Line: "Go ahead; you're never gonna take me!" (From Disciple's "Dear X, You Don't Own Me")

Winning Line: "Dearest enemy, you should have never trusted me, you bitch!" (From You Me At Six's Contagious Chemistry)

Losing Line: Wait a minute... what the hell just happened?

Power Chord: uses enchanted power from his guitar to fire a decently-sized laser at his opponent

Rival: Arctic Frost

Personality: cocky, yet confident to back it up. Uses his guitar in combos, but mainly uses his hooves.

Stats: 8/10 Attack, 3/10 Speed, 7/10 Defense

Edited by Nightfall
  • Brohoof 1

©Picture:

img-1394796-1-e0403776252f9066a26185a807

©Opening Line: "Listen to THIS melody!"

©Winning Line: "I TOLD you that you were an understatement!"

©Losing Line: "Argh...I never planned on this...disaster..."

Finisher: Rapid Fire; using the enchanted power of his guitar to fire rapid lasers at his opponent.

Rival (Must pick other OC in thread): Nightfall Starline

Personality: Cocky, hates to lose. Loves playing music, uses his guitar as a melee weapon.

Stats (Attack, Defense, Speed): Low Attack (3/10), Medium Defense (5/10), High Speed (8/10).

...yeah Nightfall and I collaborated to join at the same time. XD

Edited by Seraphim
  • Brohoof 1

©Picture: http://mlpforums.com/uploads/a11b359a61d28268023397a4802e7641.png (He has an eyepatch, you can't see it in that picture)
©Opening Line: If you know what's good for you, you will RUN!
©Winning Line: I did warn you. Now get out of my way.
©Losing Line: Owwwww... ow ow ow ow.
Finisher: Direction-based attack using his automatic shotgun. (Think those laser-style finishers, but weaker and more of a fan. You do not want to be standing in front of this one.)
Rival: Civil Sunset
Personality: Gruff and short (in a manner of speaking, not actually short), but very loyal.
Stats Atck. 7, Def. 9, Spd. 3

Edited by baman
  • Brohoof 1

You better make a custom pony feature like what I suggested before. Seriously, coding OCs one by one takes a lot of time. This free time is better be spent to improve the game play and mechanic. Also, this feature can be a strength to your game. You can focus on making a feature to make custom moves. I've played a game with that feature once, but I forget the name. It was a 3D stick man fighting, but I can design my own moves. It's hard maybe, but once done, you may rise above Fighting is Magic.

Still, custom pony feature needs to be made, no matter what. You can start with few characters if you like, but for the rest, player-made. The idea is simple. You make a character interface, provide some choices (with id), then save that information in a particular template in a file so it can be shared to other players. If someone wants to battle people's OC, they can export their character file and then import them to their local engine. Therefore, you can avoid making pointless updates which only contains some new OCs. I doubt it can't be done in Game Maker Studio even though I've never used it.

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

You better make a custom pony feature like what I suggested before. Seriously, coding OCs one by one takes a lot of time. This free time is better be spent to improve the game play and mechanic. Also, this feature can be a strength to your game. You can focus on making a feature to make custom moves. I've played a game with that feature once, but I forget the name. It was a 3D stick man fighting, but I can design my own moves. It's hard maybe, but once done, you may rise above Fighting is Magic.

Still, custom pony feature needs to be made, no matter what. You can start with few characters if you like, but for the rest, player-made. The idea is simple. You make a character interface, provide some choices (with id), then save that information in a particular template in a file so it can be shared to other players. If someone wants to battle people's OC, they can export their character file and then import them to their local engine. Therefore, you can avoid making pointless updates which only contains some new OCs. I doubt it can't be done in Game Maker Studio even though I've never used it.

I have looked it up and found out it is possible but it would take a while to do so, especially cause me and Rockmare don't know how to do it.

I would like that as much as the next pony, but I will consider it with Rockmare.

Edited by Lunar Red

I have looked it up and found out it is possible but it would take a while to do so, especially cause me and Rockmare don't know how to do it.

I would like that as much as the next pony, but I will consider it with Rockmare.

Of course it can. Check about how to do it again on my previous post in the previous thread. It may help you. I've never used Game Maker Studio. I use Python most of the time, and... well... I'm playing with a project at the moment. :lol:

I’d love to help with the sprite art, mainly the actual fighters (I’ve never really tried backgrounds, so those would probably be terrible), but before I volunteer, could you clarify some things?

Firstly, Around-about what size would the sprites have to be?

Second, would I have to draw the sprites individually or in sprite sheets? Knowing beforehand would save a lot of trouble.

Finally, is there a deadline for this game? Because I am no good with those, trust me.

Aside from that:

©Example

Here is a Pinkie Pie sprite I made in about 20 minutes. I'm not great with the faces, clearly.

PinkiePie_zps2c4a9aba.png

I only joined the other day, so I can't really say. I suppose I am so far, and I tend to always have this open in a second window while I'm doing other stuff.

©How much Free-time:

I have school, so on weekdays I'll only have afternoons, and of course I might have other things to do sometimes. On weekends I have basically the whole day.

I should point out I'm in Australia, so my night time is probably your day time, in case that's a problem.

• Brohoof 2

Of course it can. Check about how to do it again on my previous post in the previous thread. It may help you. I've never used Game Maker Studio. I use Python most of the time, and... well... I'm playing with a project at the moment. laugh.png

There is already a game that does this. It is called Soul Caliber, it allows you add things to character models from a selection of pre made choices and voice modifications via higher or lower tones and so on. It, however cannot allow you to make your own moves, you choose a preexisting characters model coding and apply it to your alternate model. This, however has issue. Graphic flaws are common in some selections and animations even in professional level games and this whole idea would be very, very hard to do in a 2D/pixel art game that is made by fans, hell...frankly I would say it's impossible 2D wise without having totally un-stylizied and boring art work/ moves. 

Because this will be a 2D game, the idea won't work too well. Playing on perspective and stylizied animations along with the fact that drawings can't be alternated and played about with like a 3D model means that you would have to basically just re-skin existing characters and have a rename them option. The quirks of each characters animation will still exists along with their drawings, not unless you also get artist/ drawers who are willing to make entirely new doubles of the original characters that lack extra details or animations that interact with those details-hats...scarfs. Blades. Chains on blades. Side kicks, animals, intro characters with them, powers specifically to that character, personality traits and expression obviously belonging to that character- it works with soul caliber because alot of their animations are anatomically correct- as it is with 3D- and thus has no styling or visual play on their existence, along with that a lot of their moves besides their specials are ambiguous and can really be applied to anyone besides the most latest additions thanks to that ambiguity.

Hell, the designers themselves know that those animations are ambiguous because they reused character styles/ animations for bonus characters with only minor changes in their earlier release.

I'm not saying it's can't be done, but asking a serious company with multiple paid professional for this kind of a big deal. It's also really unnecessary. If you want to make your own character into a basic fighting game then Mugen offers you pretty friendly tools to do that.  Custome moves feature is also begging to be exploited and cheap, as well as hard to maintain and code/ look artistically correct and pleasing to multiple applicable subjects. Either the costume generated lot would have to be blatant re-skins of the originals or blank, boring to look at un-stylized generic ponies.

Yes. I'm aware Street fighter reskin their animations but they are still difference that have to be entirely redrawn and animated  Plus, street fighter is outdated. There...I said it. Street fighter releases have been laughed at by modern generation fighting game community for a while now. Skullgirls kicks the crap out street fighter and their not nearly as big and well funded as street fighter, hell. I'd say it has better visuals too which is arguably the only thing decent about that game-well..ok..it does have some jamming music at points- The only cool thing this generation street figher have to offer is that focus attack mechanic. 

@Lunar Red, I'd say focus on your combo mechanics and balancing your characters first. Worry about cosmetics and customization last. Focused characters on their mechanics is better. It's best you put your effort into the mechanics into a few rather than give all that effort to making essentially a hard to maintain/ most likely balancing breaking device that probably won't even that well made due to the level of difficulty it would need and lack of good reference or examples to look up on.

Also..what the hell. I'll apply a character later too. Do we absolutely have to be ponies or can we be original characters if their stories are decent and sensible? 

Edited by MiStErUnMeRry
  • Brohoof 1

@@MiStErUnMeRry.

I suggested that idea to save their time and spend it for another development, like the combo. Coding OCs one by one is a waste of time. Better start with some characters, then spend the rest of your time to improve other features. I know that it will be a boring customization. Just changing colour, text, etc, but it's better than adding numbers of almost-the-same OCs manually.

I like your idea about focusing your combo. I'm aware that it needs a lot of time to develop. That's why I suggested to save more time by giving a simple custom character feature. :)

By the way, what programming language does Game Maker Studio use?

• Brohoof 1

aDX3f1u.jpg

Lite Shade

Opening line-- "Can you handle a few shades, darling?"

Winning line-- "Aww, what's wrong? Are you scared of your own shadow?"

Losing line-- "WH-WHAT?! My shade! Impossible!"

Finisher-- Lite's shadow extends to the opponent, dragging him/her under the ground, leaving multiple hits, and shoots them back above the ground from shadow magic.

Rival-- None at the moment.

Personality-- Snooty, dark, and not willing to hold back!

Stats: Attack (2/10) Defense (3/10) Speed (10/10)

Uses a shade to block some attacks.

There is already a game that does this. It is called Soul Caliber, it allows you add things to character models from a selection of pre made choices and voice modifications via higher or lower tones and so on. It, however cannot allow you to make your own moves, you choose a preexisting characters model coding and apply it to your alternate model. This, however has issue. Graphic flaws are common in some selections and animations even in professional level games and this whole idea would be very, very hard to do in a 2D/pixel art game that is made by fans, hell...frankly I would say it's impossible 2D wise without having totally un-stylizied and boring art work/ moves.

Because this will be a 2D game, the idea won't work too well. Playing on perspective and stylizied animations along with the fact that drawings can't be alternated and played about with like a 3D model means that you would have to basically just re-skin existing characters and have a rename them option. The quirks of each characters animation will still exists along with their drawings, not unless you also get artist/ drawers who are willing to make entirely new doubles of the original characters that lack extra details or animations that interact with those details-hats...scarfs. Blades. Chains on blades. Side kicks, animals, intro characters with them, powers specifically to that character, personality traits and expression obviously belonging to that character- it works with soul caliber because alot of their animations are anatomically correct- as it is with 3D- and thus has no styling or visual play on their existence, along with that a lot of their moves besides their specials are ambiguous and can really be applied to anyone besides the most latest additions thanks to that ambiguity.

Hell, the designers themselves know that those animations are ambiguous because they reused character styles/ animations for bonus characters with only minor changes in their earlier release.

I'm not saying it's can't be done, but asking a serious company with multiple paid professional for this kind of a big deal. It's also really unnecessary. If you want to make your own character into a basic fighting game then Mugen offers you pretty friendly tools to do that. Custome moves feature is also begging to be exploited and cheap, as well as hard to maintain and code/ look artistically correct and pleasing to multiple applicable subjects. Either the costume generated lot would have to be blatant re-skins of the originals or blank, boring to look at un-stylized generic ponies.

Yes. I'm aware Street fighter reskin their animations but they are still difference that have to be entirely redrawn and animated Plus, street fighter is outdated. There...I said it. Street fighter releases have been laughed at by modern generation fighting game community for a while now. Skullgirls kicks the crap out street fighter and their not nearly as big and well funded as street fighter, hell. I'd say it has better visuals too which is arguably the only thing decent about that game-well..ok..it does have some jamming music at points- The only cool thing this generation street figher have to offer is that focus attack mechanic.

@Lunar Red, I'd say focus on your combo mechanics and balancing your characters first. Worry about cosmetics and customization last. Focused characters on their mechanics is better. It's best you put your effort into the mechanics into a few rather than give all that effort to making essentially a hard to maintain/ most likely balancing breaking device that probably won't even that well made due to the level of difficulty it would need and lack of good reference or examples to look up on.

Also..what the hell. I'll apply a character later too. Do we absolutely have to be ponies or can we be original characters if their stories are decent and sensible?

They don't have to be ponies. They can be Griffins, or Changelings too. Also I just got a new laptop meaning I can program and pixel art soon.

@@MiStErUnMeRry.

I suggested that idea to save their time and spend it for another development, like the combo. Coding OCs one by one is a waste of time. Better start with some characters, then spend the rest of your time to improve other features. I know that it will be a boring customization. Just changing colour, text, etc, but it's better than adding numbers of almost-the-same OCs manually.

I like your idea about focusing your combo. I'm aware that it needs a lot of time to develop. That's why I suggested to save more time by giving a simple custom character feature. smile.png

By the way, what programming language does Game Maker Studio use?

Don't get me wrong. I really like the idea and I am happy that you put it forward, even if I personally see it as not the best option for the time being it's good to have open communication about different desires and ambitions for something but the OC's who are selected will have attention and specific styles added to them-voice acting/ personalities and animations...especially animations and if Lunar can pull it off, special coded mechanics to them-will come out far better polished. It might of been worth doing it if it was never done before but it has been done before by soul caliber and that game isn't even that popular because it focuses more on cosmetics than it does game play. 

There really is no such thing as saving time artistically  This is the mistake of newer artist and designers that we can rush our projects and styling  In our attempts to do this minor/ small errors appear that ruin the over all presentation of the piece appear which mount up to affect the overall quality. 

Edited by MiStErUnMeRry
  • Brohoof 2

I’d love to help with the sprite art, mainly the actual fighters (I’ve never really tried backgrounds, so those would probably be terrible), but before I volunteer, could you clarify some things?

Firstly, Around-about what size would the sprites have to be?

Second, would I have to draw the sprites individually or in sprite sheets? Knowing beforehand would save a lot of trouble.

Finally, is there a deadline for this game? Because I am no good with those, trust me.

Aside from that:

©Example

Here is a Pinkie Pie sprite I made in about 20 minutes. I'm not great with the faces, clearly.

img-1396483-1-PinkiePie_zps2c4a9aba.png

I only joined the other day, so I can't really say. I suppose I am so far, and I tend to always have this open in a second window while I'm doing other stuff.

©How much Free-time:

I have school, so on weekdays I'll only have afternoons, and of course I might have other things to do sometimes. On weekends I have basically the whole day.

I should point out I'm in Australia, so my night time is probably your day time, in case that's a problem.

They can be 64x64

They are to be made on sprite sheet

And also welcome to the team :)

Also the game will feature..

V1 - 4 OCs 2 Stages

V2 - 8 OCs 4 Stages

• Brohoof 1